Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUDPT
[Today at 07:05:44 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Athletic Top 5  (Read 4280 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Athletic Top 5
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2023, 09:49:21 AM »
Faux rage.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2023, 10:06:15 AM »
You're right it's an overreaction but I don't think it unfair for general populations to expect good well thought out content rather than cheap buzzfeed clickbait equivalents. And part of that good content would be have a reasonable argument to defend your case, in the situation with Sean Miller it's more than fair for twitter Scoopers to ask "hey something's not adding up here"
You must be new to this internet thingy

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2023, 10:10:35 AM »
I don't think the article sucks or Seth Davis hates us. It's not an amazing article but it was a fun read and enjoyed the recognition some of our guys got, especially Chase.

I also think Shaka should be in his top 5 COY candidates over Miller.

Expressing an opinion about an omission doesn't make someone fragile or that they think the omitter hates their team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2023, 10:14:07 AM »
You're right it's an overreaction but I don't think it unfair for general populations to expect good well thought out content rather than cheap buzzfeed clickbait equivalents. And part of that good content would be have a reasonable argument to defend your case, in the situation with Sean Miller it's more than fair for twitter Scoopers to ask "hey something's not adding up here"

Agreed.  It's totally fair to think, "Shaka deserves a COY award, whether national or BE, more than Sean Miller."  No problem with that at all, and I'd agree.  But I also understand that these national reporters, writing about a national award and a bunch of topics, aren't going to do super deep dives into these mid season.  Hopefully if they have a vote in the actual award, they'll do that deep dive when it's time to submit their actual ballot.  But there are a lot of good candidates, including Sean Miller and Shaka Smart, and my guess is that at the time Seth was writing the article Xavier was alone in the Big East and had a head to head win over Marquette.  He's taken a roster that missed the NCAA Tournament last year, added a quality transfer, and currently has them tied for first in the Big East and in position to be a top 4 seed.  He's deserving of recognition, even if Shaka might deserve it more.

To me, it's okay to see people have an opinion of Marquette that Marquette fans might not agree with and not have to jump all over them on Twitter or article comments.  Apparently to much of the fanbase, we can't let one slight go, even if it is along with some very positive "awards" for other people on the team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2023, 10:17:02 AM »
I don't think the article sucks or Seth Davis hates us. It's not an amazing article but it was a fun read and enjoyed the recognition some of our guys got, especially Chase.

I also think Shaka should be in his top 5 COY candidates over Miller.

Expressing an opinion about an omission doesn't make someone fragile or that they think the omitter hates their team.

It doesn't.  But when Marquette fans are all over everyone's mentions or in every comment section claiming people are clueless because they disrespect Marquette, it gets pretty old and tired.  Which is probably why Marquette (allegedly) gets ignored by the media.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2023, 10:21:59 AM »
To me, it's okay to see people have an opinion of Marquette that Marquette fans might not agree with and not have to jump all over them on Twitter or article comments.  Apparently to much of the fanbase, we can't let one slight go, even if it is along with some very positive "awards" for other people on the team.

I agree with all of this, wades.

Can only speak for myself -- I neither posted anything on the twatter nor in article comments. I posted on a Marquette fanboard (this one) that I thought it was a foolish omission. I'm guessing that most Scoopers who have posted similar thoughts here also haven't gone wild on other social media about this.

So yes, I think some folks go over the top on this kind of thing. But I also think it's over the top to say that the likes of TAMU and I (and most Scoopers) are outraged or angry or "can't let one slight go." We think Shaka was overlooked and we said so. What's a fanboard for?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2023, 10:32:40 AM »
In a weird way, that makes sense. He might think the team is "smoke and mirrors" and is winning because of the coach, not talent.

This is a great point.

So Shaka isn't a Top 5 coach because he was gifted such a talented team by Wojo. Wojo is a Top 5 coach.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2023, 10:43:09 AM »
So yes, I think some folks go over the top on this kind of thing. But I also think it's over the top to say that the likes of TAMU and I (and most Scoopers) are outraged or angry or "can't let one slight go." We think Shaka was overlooked and we said so. What's a fanboard for?

Obviously people are free to disagree with Davis (as I do) and free to express that disagreement here or anywhere else.
I think what's being mocked is the righteous indignation over Seth Davis having a different opinion.
His opinion is not just wrong, it's "idiotic." He's "borderline brain dead." It's "unfair." It's a "special brand of stupid."
Guys ... it's just his opinion.

Now, to further the wailing and gnashing ...

247's Top 10 Midseason coaches of the year list doesn't include Shaka. He's in the "just missed the cut" category. Miller is there.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-basketballs-10-midseason-contenders-for-National-Coach-of-the-Year-203697357/#203697357_11

Jeff Goodman doesn't put Shaka in his Midseason Coach of the Year candidates. And yes, Sean Miller is there.
https://watchstadium.com/videos/leading-coach-of-the-year-candidates-in-college-basketball-mens-basketball/

So unfair!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:44:55 AM by Pakuni »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2023, 10:49:57 AM »
Obviously people are free to disagree with Davis (as I do) and free to express that disagreement here or anywhere else.
I think what's being mocked is the righteous indignation over Seth Davis having a different opinion.
His opinion is not just wrong, it's "idiotic." He's "borderline brain dead." It's "unfair." It's a "special brand of stupid."

247's Top 10 Midseason coaches of the year list doesn't include Shaka. He's in the "just missed the cut" category. Miller is there.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-basketballs-10-midseason-contenders-for-National-Coach-of-the-Year-203697357/#203697357_11

Jeff Goodman doesn't put Shaka in his Midseason Coach of the Year candidates. And yes, Sean Miller is there.
https://watchstadium.com/videos/leading-coach-of-the-year-candidates-in-college-basketball-mens-basketball/

So unfair!

Shoot.  Forget everything I said.  Can someone please post their Twitter handles?  I have some mentioning to do!

muwarrior69

• All American

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2023, 11:14:27 AM »
Well this guy likes us.

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/35563391/ncaa-college-basketball-betting-odds-teams-buy-fade-march-madness

Marquette to win the Big East, but then Creighton to win the title and make the Final Four without saying anything about MU there?  At this guy!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2023, 11:23:22 AM »

So unfair!

All that's fair, Pak.

I respectfully disagree with all of those fine folks ... as I believe that this particular opinion is idiotic.  8-)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2023, 12:30:29 PM »
All sports writers are brain dead (except Ben)

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2023, 01:59:51 PM »
Shaka Smart, Marquette: Smart didn’t make a ton of waves in the transfer portal, but his player-development program is flexing right now. The Golden Eagles look like one of the best teams in the ACC, and Marquette’s offense is ranked No. 1 on KenPom. Smart looks right at home at Marquette.

Going to win the BE and the ACC this year apparently. Unified belts!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2023, 02:09:55 PM »
Shaka Smart, Marquette: Smart didn’t make a ton of waves in the transfer portal, but his player-development program is flexing right now. The Golden Eagles look like one of the best teams in the ACC, and Marquette’s offense is ranked No. 1 on KenPom. Smart looks right at home at Marquette.

Going to win the BE and the ACC this year apparently. Unified belts!

Can you please let me know where this is from so I can @ the fool?

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2023, 03:27:40 PM »
Can you please let me know where this is from so I can @ the fool?

The 247 link above

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2023, 07:31:22 AM »
You're right it's an overreaction but I don't think it unfair for general populations to expect good well thought out content rather than cheap buzzfeed clickbait equivalents.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback