[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Why was Oso comforting Gold after the game.  (Read 8094 times)

Marqevans

• All American
Why was Oso comforting Gold after the game.
« on: January 22, 2023, 10:13:18 AM »
Did anyone see at the end of the game Oso putting his arm around Gold. Is Gold upset about playing time?

avid1010

• All American
Re: Why was Oso comforting Gold after the game.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 10:15:22 AM »
Did anyone see at the end of the game Oso putting his arm around Gold. Is Gold upset about playing time?
No.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 10:17:10 AM »
I think it was because when he got his chance, he played pretty poorly.  Just a teammate lifting up another.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 10:19:13 AM »
I think Sultan's right. From what I see in the huddle, Oso is a coach-in-waiting.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 10:23:29 AM »
I think it was because when he got his chance, he played pretty poorly.  Just a teammate lifting up another.

Good leadership moment for Oso.  I also felt Shaka could have let Ben play through that turnover.  We were still up 15ish at that moment.  That aside Shaka is a big fan of Ben's and invests heavily into letting Ben know how good he can be and how high he is on him.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 10:26:37 AM »
Mind games
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 10:29:13 AM »

I'm sure Ben wants to play more, and play better than he did. Yesterday the game seemed too fast for him. Shaka has alluded to it, but I've heard he really struggled with homesickness earlier in the year. There's a lot on his plate, and he's no doubt putting pressure on himself.

Oso doing that tells me a lot about his character and his leadership qualities. He's been through it too, struggling to gain a foothold as a freshman.

If Ben is here long term he's going to be a handful for this league.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 10:34:58 AM »
I'm sure Ben wants to play more, and play better than he did. Yesterday the game seemed too fast for him. Shaka has alluded to it, but I've heard he really struggled with homesickness earlier in the year. There's a lot on his plate, and he's no doubt putting pressure on himself.

Oso doing that tells me a lot about his character and his leadership qualities. He's been through it too, struggling to gain a foothold as a freshman.

If Ben is here long term he's going to be a handful for this league.
Aside from any personal issues like homesickness or whatever, Ben needs to play with much more focus and tenacity than he has shown in most games. That turnover yesterday was really lazy and sloppy resulting in Ben getting yanked from the game. Ben obviously has decent size, mobility and skills but he really needs to toughen up and play hard all the time.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 10:48:34 AM »
“Don’t even think about writing a letter tonight, bro”
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 10:53:21 AM »
Leading.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 10:56:34 AM »
Ben needs 2 years of weight training, right now to soft.  Shaka plays him a little out of position, more of a 3 then a 4 or 5.  Against certain teams he is a mismatch.  Since he can hit the three he will become valuable in the future.  Add some muscle and he will be fine.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 11:01:49 AM »
If Ben stays, in two years he will be a stretch 4-5 and a match up nightmare.  I am picturing him doing what Oso does now, only with 3 pt. range
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 11:12:55 AM »
L
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 11:14:31 AM by Hoops92 »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 11:16:00 AM »
Aside from any personal issues like homesickness or whatever, Ben needs to play with much more focus and tenacity than he has shown in most games. That turnover yesterday was really lazy and sloppy resulting in Ben getting yanked from the game. Ben obviously has decent size, mobility and skills but he really needs to toughen up and play hard all the time.

This is a little over the top.  Ben has played hard when's he's played.  Crap happens, yesterday's turnover is something that would happen maybe 1 out of 100 times Ben makes that play.  Hope to see Ben get some extended run in future games where we are in control.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 12:18:51 PM »
This is a little over the top.  Ben has played hard when's he's played.  Crap happens, yesterday's turnover is something that would happen maybe 1 out of 100 times Ben makes that play.  Hope to see Ben get some extended run in future games where we are in control.
Maybe so, but Shaka certainly had a quick hook after that play.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 01:05:22 PM »
It was that….and the foul on the and 1 10 seconds later.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 02:17:52 PM »
IMHO Ben Gold needs to start playing like he is 6-11".
Currently he is playing like he is 6'-0".
Dude, you are the tallest player on the court.  Play like it!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 02:23:45 PM »

He played 3 minutes yesterday and had a block.  He's a pretty strong paint presence defensively but Oso is just so good.  Might see Gold get more playing time with Oso if he's going to get minutes.
VIOLENCE!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2023, 02:23:56 PM »
If Ben stays, in two years he will be a stretch 4-5 and a match up nightmare.  I am picturing him doing what Oso does now, only with 3 pt. range

I don’t think he’s a 5 at all. Stretch 4 sure, but he has so much bounce I see him more as a wing than a 5.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2023, 02:28:31 PM »

Except he blocks shots at a rate 2x Oso. So. There’s that. Quite frankly, I think Shaka has it wrong and should be playing Joplin and Ben in an inverse fashion.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2023, 02:28:52 PM »
The problem with Gold is that it is all way too fast for him. I doubt he played anywhere near this speed in New Zealand.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2023, 04:22:56 PM »
The problem with Gold is that it is all way too fast for him. I doubt he played anywhere near this speed in New Zealand.

This has been my take also. The question is can he adjust and learn to play faster? I sure hope so.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2023, 04:41:55 PM »

I disagree that "it is all way too fast for him," but I agree that he didn't play competition at this speed in New Zealand or as part of their National team.  However, Gold is fleeter of foot than Jop, though probably not as strong.

I guess as Goose mentioned in the Joplin thread, if our biggest worry is about David Joplin (and I'll add Ben Gold), we are in fantastic shape as they both are very good prospects in different ways.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2023, 04:47:45 PM »

Agree 100% Tower.  I look forward to Ben’s development and I think next year he will show considerable development.  Two years from now, look out.  The kid has God given talent and height.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2023, 04:51:04 PM »
I disagree that "it is all way too fast for him," but I agree that he didn't play competition at this speed in New Zealand or as part of their National team.  However, Gold is fleeter of foot than Jop, though probably not as strong.

I guess as Goose mentioned in the Joplin thread, if our biggest worry is about David Joplin (and I'll add Ben Gold), we are in fantastic shape as they both are very good prospects in different ways.

It’s not that Gold’s not fast, it just looks like he is a half second behind. A lot of freshmen go through that.

feedback