[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 48261 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2023, 08:45:23 AM »
Well, I'm not sure doing it when players should be recovering is a good idea. Especially pitchers.

And the ratings would be bad going against the NFL and college football.

The best time to do it would be to take a month off during the season, but that's not going to happen either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2023, 09:25:47 AM »
You're probably right about the offseason being a bad time for pitchers to recover, Sultan. There really is no good time, especially for pitchers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2023, 09:28:18 AM »
I think that deep down the Tigers were hoping Miggie would find a way to heroically get injured.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2023, 11:52:20 AM »
You're probably right about the offseason being a bad time for pitchers to recover, Sultan. There really is no good time, especially for pitchers.
Back in my day , pitchers had 40 starts, regularly pitched 300 innings, and had off season jobs. Kids these days

tower912

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2023, 11:57:50 AM »
And pitched no hitters on LSD.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2023, 09:31:37 AM »
Cards players go 1-7 in the WBC title game, including a crucial double play by Goldschmidt.  Thanks Cards!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2023, 09:39:40 AM »
Cards players go 1-7 in the WBC title game, including a crucial double play by Goldschmidt.  Thanks Cards!

That’s what happens when Yadi isn’t around to lead them
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2023, 10:09:47 AM »
I have no doubt MLB will somehow fail to capitalize on this and not market Ohtani properly.  What an absolutely preposterous baseball player he is.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2023, 05:08:07 PM »
Ohtani is incredible, let me start there.

He also has had 2 full seasons in the major leagues.

So the notion that he already is an all-time great, as some excitable folks are claiming in the aftermath of the WBC, is wild.

Now, he might be in that conversation one day, and today I certainly could see him being called the most unique ballplayer.

And he’s must-see TV; I’m not even a big fan of the WBC, but I tuned in last night for one reason.

But can’t we see if he can do this for at least 4-5 years before we put him on Mount Olympus with Ruth, Mays, Koufax and Aaron?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2023, 05:46:12 PM »
Ohtani is incredible, let me start there.

He also has had 2 full seasons in the major leagues.

So the notion that he already is an all-time great, as some excitable folks are claiming in the aftermath of the WBC, is wild.

Now, he might be in that conversation one day, and today I certainly could see him being called the most unique ballplayer.

And he’s must-see TV; I’m not even a big fan of the WBC, but I tuned in last night for one reason.

But can’t we see if he can do this for at least 4-5 years before we put him on Mount Olympus with Ruth, Mays, Koufax and Aaron?

I don't think he's on Mount Olympus, obviously, but its a completely fair conversation to discuss his peak as it pertains to the greats.  Not a career obviously, but the best thats ever done it for a period of time.  I think he's had an all time great 12 months.

In 2 full seasons,

Hitting: Averaged .265/.555/.920 (151 OPS+), 40 HRs, 97 RBIs, and almost 20 SB.  Total oWAR of 8.4

Pitching: Averaged Sub 2.75 ERA, ERA+ of 156, 188 SOs to only 44 BBs, 1.05 WHIP.  Total WAR of 10.3

That is just absolutely mindblowing.  His ERA+ is up there with Kershaw and DeGrom's career numbers, he's close to leading the league in both HRs and SOs AT THE SAME TIME.  Its just unheard of.  Last night just added to the hype and legend.  I know you aren't arguing how good he is, but as much as I think buzz can be overdone, I totally get it with him.

He could just as easily get hurt and/or fall off as continue to go nuts, but I don't think any hype or speculation about him right now is off base.  He's arguably just entering his prime at 28.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2023, 06:37:44 PM »
Ohtani is the most skilled player to ever walk on an MLB field.

But he has many years to go before he can be called the greatest ever to play the game. If he stays healthy and does this for 10 more years, then yes.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2023, 06:45:38 PM »

Should have just sent more Phillies, tbh.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2023, 07:18:22 PM »
Is Jon Smoltz starting to get on anybody's nerves? I have always thought he was one of the smarter analysts, but his attitudes are really turning me off. A couple examples:

1. He refuses to use modern terminology. A good example is 'exit velocity'. He talks all the time about hitting the ball hard but will never talk about exit velocity. I would go so far as to say that he has that arrogant Cardinal's Way attitude.

2. I thought he was very disrespectful to the Japanese team. Among other things, he kept using terms like 'this hitter' or 'this pitcher' as though he didn't respect them enough to use their actual names. Never talked about their Japanese League stats or Major League equivalencies for those stats

MU82

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2023, 10:55:23 PM »
Wags and Jockey - I think we mostly agree on all the Ohtani stuff. He’s definitely the best thing to happen to MLB in a generation - or more.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2023, 11:17:49 AM »
As opening day approaches, never forget that baseball is the holiest of games, featured prominently in the Bible.

...in the big inning....

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2023, 11:26:00 AM »
As opening day approaches, never forget that baseball is the holiest of games, featured prominently in the Bible.

...in the big inning....

Does that mean St. Louis is the Vatican?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2023, 11:32:08 AM »
No, but it is where they commit the cardinal sins.

Unless you are a Cardinal fan.  Then, yes it is the vatican and they are always invoking the whole infallibility thing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2023, 03:56:49 PM »
Season opener for JV baseball last night.  On the opposing team is a player who played who was a teammate of my son from ages 7-14.   We were visiting with his parents who we always got along really well.   One of the other moms, with a slight southern accent joins our conversation.  Yadayadayada moved here from Missouri.   Now for the part that matters to this thread and board.

"I haven't seen any real baseball since we left St. Louis."

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2023, 10:53:14 PM »
Season opener for JV baseball last night.  On the opposing team is a player who played who was a teammate of my son from ages 7-14.   We were visiting with his parents who we always got along really well.   One of the other moms, with a slight southern accent joins our conversation.  Yadayadayada moved here from Missouri.   Now for the part that matters to this thread and board.

Is there a reason for anyone to live in St. Louis now that Yadi has retired?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2023, 08:26:44 AM »
It’s opening day?  Who knew?!?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2023, 10:27:00 AM »
Is there a reason for anyone to live in St. Louis now that Yadi has retired?
I wish I would have typed yadiyadiyadi instead of yadayadayada.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2023, 11:03:26 AM »

Maybe she hasn"t been to a West Michigan Whitecaps game yet? Or Michigan State? I heard Izzo waa coaching baseball this Spring. Maybe there's a chance now that Bakich left for Clemson.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2023, 12:14:01 PM »
Someone is going to have 80 stolen bases this year. Watching Braves/Nats, Acuna worked Corbin perfectly to have him throw over twice. After he couldn’t throw over any more, Acuna immediately took off and easily stole second.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2023, 02:57:24 PM »
Burnes not worth that extra 750k.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2023, 03:02:38 PM »
Someone is going to have 80 stolen bases this year. Watching Braves/Nats, Acuna worked Corbin perfectly to have him throw over twice. After he couldn’t throw over any more, Acuna immediately took off and easily stole second.
Sounds great.  Make some money off that bet.

feedback