[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 MLB Thread  (Read 48266 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: 2023 MLB Thread
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2023, 07:38:59 AM »
My point is that if he hit .265 with less walks and 500 HRS and his defense was so-so he would be exactly as valuable as he is now and people would mostly accept that he was a Hall of Famer.  The all around player is undervalued.  He's a borderline guy, but I have zero problem with him in the Hall of Fame. 

And I disagree with you.  But my standards for the HOF are higher than what's been inducted recently.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2023, 07:53:49 AM »
And I disagree with you.  But my standards for the HOF are higher than what's been inducted recently.

I don’t get worked about this stuff.  Whatever. 

I know this, I never said to myself, I want to see Scott Rolen or Fred McGriff play or thought to myself they were a reason to go to a game.

Bonds?  Clemens?  Before and after any roiding?  Yeah, I wanted to go see them
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2023, 08:29:38 AM »
I don’t get worked about this stuff.  Whatever. 

I know this, I never said to myself, I want to see Scott Rolen or Fred McGriff play or thought to myself they were a reason to go to a game.

Bonds?  Clemens?  Before and after any roiding?  Yeah, I wanted to go see them

Then you missed out. Many others did.

Roger Clemens? Sure. Here ya go:

https://youtu.be/hv6Y0f4P3Uk

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2023, 08:35:35 AM »

Then you missed out. Many others did.

Roger Clemens? Sure. Here ya go:

https://youtu.be/hv6Y0f4P3Uk

Not really.  John Valentin hit a home run off him in a game in the playoffs.  I didn’t make it a point to go to a game and see him either

So tribal
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2023, 08:59:10 AM »
Not really.  John Valentin hit a home run off him in a game in the playoffs.  I didn’t make it a point to go to a game and see him either

So tribal

Lol.

https://twitter.com/matthewhleach/status/1618069356323434496?s=46&t=uvk-WWsMd-VbghQS_UDW0A

Uncle Rico

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2023, 09:01:27 AM »
Good for Rolen.   Moving on.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2023, 03:13:59 PM »
Brewers farm system rated #8 overall. 5 guys in the top 100 MLB prospects.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2023, 03:38:30 PM »
Brewers farm system rated #8 overall. 5 guys in the top 100 MLB prospects.
So fade em this year, and throw money at em in the future

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2023, 04:28:09 PM »
So fade em this year, and throw money at em in the future

It’s an interesting year in Miltown.  Think if they aren’t playing well into July, it’s a wholesale sell-off.  They have pieces to move and re-stock a relatively quick turnaround

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2023, 11:14:44 PM »
Apparently, the baseball writers can't spell.
Both the NL and AL award Cy Young trophies spelled the word valuable as valuble
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2023, 11:27:35 PM »

Yadi and Pujols retire and the league falls apart.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2023, 09:12:21 AM »

Misspelling stuff on trophies is funny. But you do know that baseball writers aren't the ones actually etching letters on trophies, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2023, 03:05:58 PM »
Misspelling stuff on trophies is funny. But you do know that baseball writers aren't the ones actually etching letters on trophies, right?
Misspelling stuff on trophies is not funny, unless you laugh at engraver's errors.

A further question arises ...do baseball writers have difficulty spotting an obvious irony/juxtaposition in a writing?

The premise here.....Professional writers would be expected to know how to spell and a trophy presented by them bearing a typo is in direct juxtaposition to their craft; ....which some see as ironic, a few might even see as almost funny.

Bob Uecker, the Catcher in the Wry, was a master of this humor. Clearly I am not
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2023, 06:59:08 PM »
Misspelling stuff on trophies is not funny, unless you laugh at engraver's errors.

A further question arises ...do baseball writers have difficulty spotting an obvious irony/juxtaposition in a writing?

The premise here.....Professional writers would be expected to know how to spell and a trophy presented by them bearing a typo is in direct juxtaposition to their craft; ....which some see as ironic, a few might even see as almost funny.

Bob Uecker, the Catcher in the Wry, was a master of this humor. Clearly I am not

I honestly don't know what you're getting at here.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2023, 05:30:09 PM »
If it wasn’t clear before it’s clear now that Corbin will not be a Brewer by October.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2023, 05:39:33 PM »
Never a doubt. If Miser Mark wanted to spend any money, he wouldn't have gotten worst Gov. Evers to include $290 mil for a facelift to 22 yo Am Fam Field. Hold unto you sales tax asses, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2023, 05:52:18 PM »
Never a doubt. If Miser Mark wanted to spend any money, he wouldn't have gotten worst Gov. Evers to include $290 mil for a facelift to 22 yo Am Fam Field. Hold unto you sales tax asses, hey?

Evers should give more money to the greater Milwaukee area, we fund the rest of the state.  Without us, Wisconsin is just Big Ten Arkansas

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2023, 05:57:48 PM »
If it wasn’t clear before it’s clear now that Corbin will not be a Brewer by October.

I mean…maybe? He still doesn’t hit free agency until after next year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2023, 07:15:36 PM »
He gowne, aina?

Corbin Burnes, the ace of the Brewers, left little doubt he was upset by the arbitration hearing that went the organization's way on Wednesday.
Corbin Burnes says the Brewers blamed him for the team not making the playoffs during his salary arbitration hearing.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 07:17:22 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2023, 07:20:14 PM »
Astros, Rockies, Pirates (especially them) are in potentially a lot of trouble. I don’t know how/where the Pirates make up $60 million this season (assuming they can find a streaming/distribution platform to make up the difference). The Sinclair day of reckoning is coming.

The 10 teams with no Sinclair/WB partnership: White Sox, Red Sox, Orioles, Nats, Mets, Phillies, A’s, Giants, Blue Jays, Dodgers.

Could be A LOT of sellers from the 20 other teams this summer. Small market teams especially are going to feel the pain.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2023, 04:35:56 PM »
I watched a half inning of baseball today and what a pleasant surprise.

Every pitch except one was thrown in under 12 seconds - the majority were under 10 seconds. Last year, with guys stepping out between every pitch and pitchers stepping off the rubber or throwing to 1st base, it was over 20 seconds a pitch.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2023, 05:41:46 PM »
I watched a half inning of baseball today and what a pleasant surprise.

Every pitch except one was thrown in under 12 seconds - the majority were under 10 seconds. Last year, with guys stepping out between every pitch and pitchers stepping off the rubber or throwing to 1st base, it was over 20 seconds a pitch.

I saw something today that said so far the average game length is down 23 minutes, which is amazing