[Today at 08:35:27 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next 3  (Read 7126 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Next 3
« on: January 07, 2023, 04:58:29 PM »
I often like to break down the season into segments, but this one ought to stand on its own.

Marquette’s next three games are
V current top 5 UConn
@ current top 20 Xavier
V next week top 25 Providence

UConn is 4-2 in conference.
Providence 6-0.
X currently 4-0.

There isn’t much more to be said on this stretch beyond it being a stretch where this team can insert itself into the national spotlight and Coach Shaka Smart can re-assert himself as a big time star in NCAA hoops.

There is a lot at stake, but in all honesty this team is already playing above and beyond its expectations for this season.
Some may argue otherwise, but up to this point this years Marquette is definitely over-achieving.

In that light, even an 0-3 stretch would not be disastrous for the season and future as a whole. It would seem that way, but it wouldn’t be.

What it really is, IMO, and how Shaka should present it to his guys, is an opportunity for them to really show everyone how good they all really are, and how good they knew they were before the season began.
It’s a no pressure stretch, a stretch where a big win in front of the Marquette faithful on Wednesday, or even next Sunday, or even the following Wednesday, would make not only the entire team, but also the entire fan base proud.

Beyond that, what it is is a no pressure stretch for Coach Shaka to draw up a couple of huge wins and insert himself as a frontrunner as BE CoY and into the convo for National CoY.
Yea I know, wild.

Also, yea I know he doesn’t care about personal accolades, it’s all about the team.
However, the reason a 3-0 or even 2-1 stretch in the next 3 should put him in the conversation for both is that Coach Smart believed in his guys, in all of his guys. He didn’t over recruit a single one of them.
In an era where no one has to sit out a year, I would imagine that’s not very common.

No one believed in his guys the way he did, but he was the only one that mattered, and they are proving him right.
Every single one of those guys has improved tremendously, and it shows on the court.

Let’s see if they can show it on the court over the next week and a half.
One things for certain, we are all eager to find out, and if they can you will see an entire rabid fanbase eager to run through a wall for its new head man.
unnatural carnal knowledge Em.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Next 3
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 04:59:17 PM »
2-1. Win home games. Lose at X.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 05:10:51 PM »
Doctor

I do think the fanbase is dying to be all in, even the fringe folks. IMO, the next three games are as big as you get in January. They have put themselves in position to make noise nationally and stay there as long as they take care of business.

I jumped in with both feet with Shaka from day one and I realize my excitement could be somewhat biased, but this is a big fxxkin stretch of ball for the program. The program has flirted with success over the past three decades and they might be poised to start a long run of success.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 05:12:20 PM »
1-2. Beat PC.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 05:16:01 PM »
Disagree that the next 3 are a “no-pressure stretch”. Would love to get 2 but absolutely need 1 of them.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 05:17:31 PM »
Vander

I think these are pressure games as well. Get the first one and the pressure level reduced quickly.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 05:37:51 PM »
I went to buy tickets via Seat Geek at 10am.  Get in price was $20.   By Noon it was $43.  Stupid me for not pulling the trigger but it’s really cool to see demand back. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 05:38:27 PM »
Vander

I think these are pressure games as well. Get the first one and the pressure level reduced quickly.

Yeah, if we get UConn you’re playing with a little bit of house money. I want payback for that Providence loss as well.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 05:38:42 PM »
Enormous 3 games for the Warriors.  Take care of business Wednesday and pile up more confidence for the next two. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 05:42:50 PM »
3 trap games in a row....

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023, 05:45:12 PM »
Let do it!  I know it’s a cliche, but they just have to take it one game at a time.  Forget about what’s next and just focus on each one as they come.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 05:53:38 PM »
This is the 3 biggest games stretch in Shaka’s coaching career.  With Brian Wardle’s success at Bradley this season, one wonders if Shaka will start feeling the heat if Marquette goes 1-2 or 0-3 in this stretch.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2023, 06:08:41 PM »
This is the 3 biggest games stretch in Shaka’s coaching career.  With Brian Wardle’s success at Bradley this season, one wonders if Shaka will start feeling the heat if Marquette goes 1-2 or 0-3 in this stretch.

I was all ready to respond to this, then saw it was Rico and recognized the implied teal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2023, 06:09:36 PM »
I think 1-2 is the most likely outcome. I worry about UConn, think it could be our first loss that isn't close. At X is absolutely winnable but I think we fall just short. I expect to pound the snot out of Providence. Hope they are still undefeated in conference play when they come to town.

I think the 4th game is big too. Would really like to avoid the #dl2d pitfall this season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2023, 06:48:54 PM »
I think 1-2 is the most likely outcome. I worry about UConn, think it could be our first loss that isn't close. At X is absolutely winnable but I think we fall just short. I expect to pound the snot out of Providence. Hope they are still undefeated in conference play when they come to town.

I think the 4th game is big too. Would really like to avoid the #dl2d pitfall this season

^^
Worrying about UConn is completely logical.
I completely agree with you that it could be Marquette’s first loss that isn’t close- they are just an absolute nightmare for the way this Marquette team is constructed.

Xavier is the second worst matchup in conference for MU. Freemantle and Nunge have been on and they will be a big challenge for Marquette, and that’s on the road.

Providence is likely the third worst matchup for Marquette, and if that one comes off of two previous losses the pressure will be on, so that won’t be easy.

That said, Marquette is at home on Wednesday so I’m hoping that Shaka magic and home crowd can will the team to a great/memorable performance.
Win that, and then X definitely becomes more beatable riding on that high.

Also, as MU82 pointed out a few times, UConn hasn’t looked elite, and they seem quite slow compared to Marquette.
I haven’t seen Xavier enough but they play a fast pace, which also suits Marquette more since most/all losses this season have been against absurdly slow paced teams.
So, the opportunity is there, let’s grab it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 06:53:09 PM by DoctorV »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2023, 06:51:13 PM »
^^
I completely agree with you that it could be Marquette’s first loss that isn’t close- they are just an absolute nightmare for the way this Marquette team is constructed.

Xavier is the second worst matchup in conference for MU. Freemantle and Nunge have been on and they will be a nightmare for Marquette, and that’s on the road.

Providence is likely the third worst matchup for Marquette, and if that one comes off of two previous losses the pressure will be on, so that won’t be easy.

That said, Marquette is at home on Wednesday so I’m hoping that Shaka magic and home crowd can will the team to a great/memorable performance.

Also, as MU82 pointed out a few times, UConn hasn’t looked elite, and they are quite slow compared to Marquette.
I haven’t seen Xavier enough but they play a fast pace, which also suits Marquette more since most/all losses this season have been against absurdly slow paced teams.

I think X and MU are equally bad matchups for each other. Fremantle or Nunge is going to have to try to cover OMax. Split with them seems likely.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2023, 06:57:21 PM »
If it’s an evenly officiated game, we’ll beat Providence by double digits.  The Xavier game is a toss up.  UConn worries me because of their size.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2023, 06:57:28 PM »
^^

Xavier is the second worst matchup in conference for MU. Freemantle and Nunge have been on and they will be a big challenge for Marquette, and that’s on the road.

Also, as MU82 pointed out a few times, UConn hasn’t looked elite, and they seem quite slow compared to Marquette.

Kolek UConn
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2023, 06:59:47 PM »
^^

Xavier is the second worst matchup in conference for MU. Freemantle and Nunge have been on and they will be a nightmare for Marquette, and that’s on the road.

Also, as MU82 pointed out a few times, UConn hasn’t looked elite, and they are quite slow compared to Marquette.

Marquette will be ready to play Wed night Dr.V and the crowd will be ultra-electric.  I think UCONN is one of the most talented teams in the country but are streaky from the perimeter and they don't have a pure PG.  Their bigs can be a significant problem for sure but as a team they have looked mediocre on the road.  I'd like to see us jump on them early and inflict relentless damage to their psyche.  My guess is we will be 3pt favorites.  This is a difficult match-up but nothing we can't handle. 

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2023, 07:03:23 PM »
Going to have to deal with Sanogo. If 3's are falling UConn can be had. Don't see a win at XAV, but really want to pound the sh-, er, stuffing out of PC, those slime balls.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2023, 07:10:36 PM »
UConn will sweep MU unfortunately, imo. We’ll get the Prov rematch. Lose at X but revenge is ours later at FF. I thought 11-9 BE record back in November. I’m now at 13-7.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2023, 07:14:25 PM »
I often like to break down the season into segments, but this one ought to stand on its own.

Marquette’s next three games are
V current top 5 UConn
@ current top 20 Xavier
V next week top 25 Providence

UConn is 4-2 in conference.
Providence 6-0.
X currently 4-0.

There isn’t much more to be said on this stretch beyond it being a stretch where this team can insert itself into the national spotlight and Coach Shaka Smart can re-assert himself as a big time star in NCAA hoops.

There is a lot at stake, but in all honesty this team is already playing above and beyond its expectations for this season.
Some may argue otherwise, but up to this point this years Marquette is definitely over-achieving.

In that light, even an 0-3 stretch would not be disastrous for the season and future as a whole. It would seem that way, but it wouldn’t be.

What it really is, IMO, and how Shaka should present it to his guys, is an opportunity for them to really show everyone how good they all really are, and how good they knew they were before the season began.
It’s a no pressure stretch, a stretch where a big win in front of the Marquette faithful on Wednesday, or even next Sunday, or even the following Wednesday, would make not only the entire team, but also the entire fan base proud.

Beyond that, what it is is a no pressure stretch for Coach Shaka to draw up a couple of huge wins and insert himself as a frontrunner as BE CoY and into the convo for National CoY.
Yea I know, wild.

Also, yea I know he doesn’t care about personal accolades, it’s all about the team.
However, the reason a 3-0 or even 2-1 stretch in the next 3 should put him in the conversation for both is that Coach Smart believed in his guys, in all of his guys. He didn’t over recruit a single one of them.
In an era where no one has to sit out a year, I would imagine that’s not very common.

No one believed in his guys the way he did, but he was the only one that mattered, and they are proving him right.
Every single one of those guys has improved tremendously, and it shows on the court.

Let’s see if they can show it on the court over the next week and a half.
One things for certain, we are all eager to find out, and if they can you will see an entire rabid fanbase eager to run through a wall for its new head man.
unnatural carnal knowledge Em.

DoctorV‐-----I always enjoy your posts because I think you are a knowledgeable fan and poster. But I am going to respectfully disagree with a couple of points you made regarding "overachieving".

I have always thought that to say someone is "overachieving" is a pejorative and not a compliment. At 17 games into the season (13-=4), I think the sample size is large enough to quote football coach Dennis Green ( I think??) " we are who are record says we are". To say, a really good team.

Just because we're outperforming what guys like Lunardi, DeCourcey, Parrish, Katz and 50 other guys predicted 3 months ago, doesn't mean we're overachieving. It means these so called experts didn't know their asses from a hole in the ground when it came to evaluating   the talents of our roster and our coaching staff.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2023, 07:23:43 PM »
One thing is for sure in these next three ... we can't be taking a half off the way we have been. This needs to be 40 min. every damn time.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2023, 07:29:16 PM »
One thing is for sure in these next three ... we can't be taking a half off the way we have been. This needs to be 40 min. every damn time.

Correct.  But I fully expect the focus to be there from the tip in all three games. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2023, 07:33:15 PM »
Just win the next three and we're in the driver's seat for the league title.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.