[Today at 04:57:21 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bracketology Thread 2023  (Read 78193 times)

withoutbias

• All American
Re: Bracketology Thread 2023
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2023, 04:08:51 PM »
As someone Elon obsessively stalks and says my posts have nothing to do with the topic on hand, following this thread is very funny. Irony personified.

Maybe THIS username will convince the Scoop community he knows ball. He did dunk in high school, of course.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2023, 05:24:47 PM »
As someone Elon obsessively stalks and says my posts have nothing to do with the topic on hand, following this thread is very funny. Irony personified.

Maybe THIS username will convince the Scoop community he knows ball. He did dunk in high school, of course.

;D  The only dunking I ever have done is dunking a biscotti in my coffee.

OK, back to the topic. I like Oldgym's Shaka vs. VCU in round 2. Like he said, it would be fun.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2023, 05:48:03 PM »
I've dunked more than my share of chips from all around the green.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2023, 07:19:14 PM »
I've dunked more than my share of chips from all around the green.
Pepsi owns Frito Lay… Tostitos and Guacamole!  I’m sure you have…

tower912

• All American
« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2023, 07:33:37 PM »
Different kind of chips, but I like where you're coming from.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2023, 03:11:44 PM »
Are you sure that it's not a great argument?

I think you'd agree that any earlier we weren't getting Shaka. Maybe we would have gotten someone as good or better, but what do you think the likelihood of that would be? Certainly less than 50%. Personally I think it would be less than 5% given how perfectly Shaka seems to fit here. Maybe he'll prove that wrong on the future but my confidence in MUBB is at an all time high.

Of course that's made with the benefit of hindsight but this is how big boys fire a coach. You fire a coach when you have someone better lined up to replace him. In MUs case, it was Porter Moser. They knew the absolute worst they would do was Porter Moser who would have been an improvement overr Wojo. Luckily. Shaka made himself available and here we are.

The big boys do not wait 7 years to fire an atrocious coach.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2023, 03:19:42 PM »
I don’t have a dog in this fight but in my opinion, “thank god we hung on to an underperforming, losing coach a whole 7 years because look how it turned out timing-wise!” isn’t a great argument

I mean...at the end of the day we fired him at the first logical opportunity. Consider the options...

• 2015: Not firing a coach after year one with a McD's AA coming in.
  • 2016: Not firing a coach after year two considering the improvement.
  • 2017: The trajectory was actually pretty good, not firing a coach post NCAA appearance.
  • 2018: We missed the tourney, but were bringing back what looked like a really good team with optimism around the program.
  • 2019: Okay, the end sucked, but we had been ranked top-10, had the program's all-time scorer, and even after the Hausers weren't going to cut the cord yet. I think Marquette was overly generous in the extension they gave, but they had to give an extension to allow Wojo to recruit (and the 2020 class was great on paper).
  • 2020: Yes, we collapsed again, but COVID basically put all firings on hold. We would've made the tourney, no way to know how it would've ended, and the world was financially unstable. It just wasn't an option.
  • 2021: Second losing record, he got fired.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2023, 03:32:59 PM »

They don't. They do wait until either*:
a. There are off the court issues
b. He misses the NCAAT

*Unless you're Texas in which case you will hire a guy who you will eventually run off after 6 years of no NCAAT wins and then replace that guy with woman beater while the guy you fired takes Tennessee to the current #1 team on KenPom
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2023, 03:45:26 PM »
I mean...at the end of the day we fired him at the first logical opportunity. Consider the options...

• 2015: Not firing a coach after year one with a McD's AA coming in.
  • 2016: Not firing a coach after year two considering the improvement.
  • 2017: The trajectory was actually pretty good, not firing a coach post NCAA appearance.
  • 2018: We missed the tourney, but were bringing back what looked like a really good team with optimism around the program.
  • 2019: Okay, the end sucked, but we had been ranked top-10, had the program's all-time scorer, and even after the Hausers weren't going to cut the cord yet. I think Marquette was overly generous in the extension they gave, but they had to give an extension to allow Wojo to recruit (and the 2020 class was great on paper).
  • 2020: Yes, we collapsed again, but COVID basically put all firings on hold. We would've made the tourney, no way to know how it would've ended, and the world was financially unstable. It just wasn't an option.
  • 2021: Second losing record, he got fired.

This is similar to things I've said.

The single best argument is that we never should have hired Wojo in the first place, but Shaka wasn't going to Marquette then -- we tried -- and who knows if the guy we hired would have been better or worse. The names at the time sure didn't do any better where they ended up ... which of course doesn't mean they wouldn't have done better at Marquette. Or worse.

Those who say they "knew" Wojo couldn't coach 10 games in or 2 years in or whatever, even if we believe them no sanely run program is going to fire a guy in that time frame and given what the situation was in the program.

The first time to have even thought about it would have been after the step-backward 2017-18 season, and I certainly get the argument for after the Hausers bolted ... though that still would have been a pretty bold firing.

Anyhoo, it's sure nice to see Scoop is litigating this for only the 8,422nd time, this time in the Bracketology thread!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2023, 03:46:36 PM »
They don't. They do wait until either*:
a. There are off the court issues
b. He misses the NCAAT

*Unless you're Texas in which case you will hire a guy who you will eventually run off after 6 years of no NCAAT wins and then replace that guy with woman beater while the guy you fired takes Tennessee to the current #1 team on KenPom

Wow I didn't realize that but it's hilarious Texas has fired two coaches that have top 10 teams in Kenpom.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2023, 04:35:48 PM »
Yes
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #236 on: January 30, 2023, 04:42:09 PM »
What happened to that 2020 class?

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #237 on: January 30, 2023, 05:23:34 PM »

Those who say they "knew" Wojo couldn't coach 10 games in or 2 years in or whatever, even if we believe them no sanely run program is going to fire a guy in that time frame and given what the situation was in the program.

Yeah, and even people who recognized early that he wasn't a huge value adder as an X's and O's coach might have appreciated his recruiting ability and thought that had a chance to be enough. If we had squeezed out one nice tourney run with the Howard/Hauser team, maybe the recruiting goes up yet another level and the program becomes successful through sheer talent accumulation.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #238 on: January 30, 2023, 05:24:14 PM »
What happened to that 2020 class?

Dawson at Minnesota, Justin declared early, Oso might be the best collegian of them all.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #239 on: January 30, 2023, 05:25:55 PM »
I can’t speak for Elon or anyone else, but the fact that Wojo could not coach a lick is in my rearview mirror. As TAMU said, no last year of Wojo, likely no Shaka.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2023, 05:32:46 PM »
But MU did. And many did not want that to happen.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2023, 05:36:07 PM »
But MU did. And many did not want that to happen.

It cost Marquette the chance to get Brian Wardle
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2023, 05:38:05 PM »
Nothing alleged about it Willie. My title was granted to me by Goose, the Grand Poobah of the Meat Eaters.

I know it is easy to mistake optimism for support when one tends towards pessimism. When it comes to things outside my control (such as Marquette basketball) I tend towards optimism. Even when a player, coach, or team is not doing well, I'd rather hope for improvement than wallow. This was posted on here not long ago, agree with every word: https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/1615464939568734214

If you go through my old posts, you won't find any posts declaring Wojo a genius or claiming that he would take us to the promised land. You'll just find hope for improvement and me repeatedly maintaining that Wojo hadn't done enough to get fired until the middle of year 7...which was the year he got fired. And while it was a painful process, it ended up being for the best. No way we get Shaka if we fire Wojo any sooner. Maybe we would have gotten someone better but I doubt it. Shaka and MU seem like the perfect marriage.

You mentioned the too much money argument. I did say something along those lines in year 7 but I also gave a caveat every time I said it. It was too much money for MU. If a donor or donors stepped in to pay the buyout than he would be fired. That's what happened. If that had happened, Wojo would have been our coach last season.
Thank God MU pulled the trigger or cut bait, at least two years too late, on Wojo. But we have the right guy now and do not need a 7 year probationary period to figure that out. Wojos tenure was a train wreck, and Hausergate proved that out.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2023, 05:39:53 PM »
Rico

That it did and caused disappointment for some fellow scoopers. Maybe they can sign him the next time there is a vacancy. Hopefully, I will be too old to care.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2023, 05:42:24 PM »
Rico

That it did and caused disappointment for some fellow scoopers. Maybe they can sign him the next time there is a vacancy. Hopefully, I will be too old to care.

Me and you both

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2023, 06:23:18 PM »
I'm surprised that Wojo and Stan Johnson couldn't find an Xs and Os guy. That, without significant ego clashing, should have led to some excellent teams.

Instead it was 6 years of watching hero ball chucking. Historic hero ball chucking, but hero ball none the less.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2023, 07:34:55 PM »
I can’t speak for Elon or anyone else, but the fact that Wojo could not coach a lick is in my rearview mirror. As TAMU said, no last year of Wojo, likely no Shaka.

The good thing is Elon doesn’t need you to speak for him. His posts speak for themselves. Wojo being unable to coach is most definitely not in the rear view mirror for him. It’s the train that he is speeding directly into head on. Hijacked threads galore with the same old stuff that has had him banned 4? 5? Times here. But he’s just the victim and if the mods knew ball he’d still be in his first username.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2023, 07:41:27 PM »
Maybe we should start a new bracketology thread to discuss the bracket.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2023, 07:53:32 PM »
Maybe we should start a new bracketology thread to discuss the bracket.

Sorry ... 90% of threads have to turn into "Wojo sucks." It's the Scoop Rule.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2023, 11:43:27 PM »
Joe Lunardi ESPN had Marquette as the Top 4 Seed in his S Curve before Mondays games.

https://twitter.com/espnlunardi/status/1620193061308596225?s=46&t=QyxTYM5ylzhSV2a5fUYomw