Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bracketology Thread 2023  (Read 78145 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Bracketology Thread 2023
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2023, 03:03:12 PM »
No doubt.  I was proud to die on the John Dawson hill.  Sure as hell beat the alternative of dying on the Derrick Wilson hill.  To this day I've never seen a high major PG disrespected by the opposition's defense as much as was the case with Derrick Wilson.  I mean I got it with Buzz maxing Derrick's minutes as Buzz was giving MU a big F-You on the way out the door.  But Wojo??  LMAO.  That was all the evidence needed to realize Wojo was an absolute idiot.

What year is it?

panda

• All American
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2023, 03:17:17 PM »
What year is it?

Only the best hoopers end their careers at Liberty with a 91 offensive rating. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2023, 05:28:54 PM »
The fact that 4Ever hasn't entered the Derrick vs. Dawson debate by adding Crean Sucks has me concerned for his well being.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2023, 05:45:36 PM »
It's strange, but I feel like the top end is weak but the bubble is strong. I find myself thinking "seriously, these are my options for the 3/5/6 lines?" but when I get to the bottom, there are 3-4 teams I really want to put in but there just isn't room.

Do you publish a bracket somewhere?

Edit: NM. I see it’s on Cracked Sidewalks.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 05:47:45 AM by wisblue »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #204 on: January 27, 2023, 09:04:58 PM »
The fact that 4Ever hasn't entered the Derrick vs. Dawson debate by adding Crean Sucks has me concerned for his well being.
He's more on the scanner nowadays
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2023, 11:12:56 PM »
Like moths to a flame.  It's too easy.  Just as it was being the first Scooper to dump on Wojo 10 games in and tell this board he didn't have it.

I know you think this somehow give you credibility. All it does it prove that you based your entire evaluation of Wojo on whether or not he would prove that you had been right along about the Derrick vs. Dawson debate. Making a correct prediction based on insufficient information doesn't make one a genius, just lucky.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2023, 07:32:34 AM »
Can't say without knowing the full history of the bubble.  If MU isn't on it, I usually don't pay attention.

All I know is that Ohio St appears in 49 out of 80 brackets on bracketmatrix, despite being 11-9 overall, 3-6 in the B10, are the only B10 team to lose to Minnesota (at home no less), and should not be projected in the field IMO despite their top 30 NET ranking. A lot of teams near the bubble have similar resumes; good computer numbers with few if any real quality wins and multiple questionable losses. Looking at you Nevada.

Bracket Matrix as of yesterday hadn't updated in days. Was discussing this on Twitter when someone complained about Wisconsin's placement, but their last two losses hadn't been reflected in updates. Until they start updating every 1-2 days (usually mid-February) it isn't always an accurate reflection of what's happened lately. As of last night, only 17/80 brackets reflected Ohio State's most recent loss.

I have Ohio State at the back of the NIT 2-seeds, and they're fading fast. I like Nevada's resume. Boise and New Mexico are good teams. I think the Mountain West currently deserves 4, though they probably only get 3 in at the end of the day. If you look at it from a "who can you beat" perspective, everyone in my last eight (NC State, Clemson, Nevada, Mizzou, ASU, Pitt, Kentucky, Bucky) has multiple wins over tourney teams except UK, who has the best win of all of them. Penn State, TAMU, WVU, and Wake all have enough at the top that I would like to see what they could do with a trip to Dayton, but you can only take 68.

I do think the decline after that is a bit steep. Oklahoma and Utah I can see making a case, but they just don't have enough yet.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2023, 09:40:10 AM »
I know you think this somehow give you credibility. All it does it prove that you based your entire evaluation of Wojo on whether or not he would prove that you had been right along about the Derrick vs. Dawson debate. Making a correct prediction based on insufficient information doesn't make one a genius, just lucky.

It wasn't just the Dawson vs Derrick issue.  It was also how Wojo "coached" Deonte Burton.  It was his decision to play Haanif at PG over Traci Carter in Year 2. And how he coached JJJ that year.  And then Jamal Cain. So, while I recognized it early, the evidence continued to stack up, which is why I never relented in my disapproval for him as MU's head coach.

Sorry that you didn't see it early, despite knowing ball.  You're generally on target, but you really missed the mark by being a staunch Wojo supporter for 5 years.  You're welcome to think I was "lucky," and have no credibility, but that's a pretty bizarre statement coming from you - a guy who staunchly supported Wojo for 5+ years.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2023, 09:52:49 AM »
Since it's not Marquette relevant anymore, maybe take the Wojo discussion to the Superbar?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2023, 11:36:16 AM »
Since it's not Marquette relevant anymore, maybe take the Wojo discussion to the Superbar?

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2023, 11:37:49 AM »
Sometimes, Palm is the best you got

Fore sum itz Rosie Palm and her four friends, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2023, 12:26:45 PM »
It wasn't just the Dawson vs Derrick issue.  It was also how Wojo "coached" Deonte Burton.  It was his decision to play Haanif at PG over Traci Carter in Year 2. And how he coached JJJ that year.  And then Jamal Cain. So, while I recognized it early, the evidence continued to stack up, which is why I never relented in my disapproval for him as MU's head coach.

Sorry that you didn't see it early, despite knowing ball.  You're generally on target, but you really missed the mark by being a staunch Wojo supporter for 5 years.  You're welcome to think I was "lucky," and have no credibility, but that's a pretty bizarre statement coming from you - a guy who staunchly supported Wojo for 5+ years.
It is well known that TAMU, the alledged knower of ball was making excuses and supporting Wojo almost to the bitter end of Wojo. Recall some of the logic that many offered that MU owed too much money to Wojo to dump him or we are trending in the right trajectory or there is nobody else available out there or it would be a blow to the program to cut him now and so on. How soon some have forgotten all that rhetoric and debate. At least we got the guy we needed even after all the excuses cleared.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2023, 12:30:24 PM »

Ners will die on this “who was a less sh*tty point guard” hill. And then make excuses why a “good” coach didn’t agree with him. It’s all very odd.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2023, 02:03:58 PM »

Just trying to save Ners from himself.

panda

• All American
« Reply #214 on: January 28, 2023, 02:21:25 PM »

#Notobsessed

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2023, 06:09:05 PM »
Just trying to save Ners from himself.
Time to waste?
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #216 on: January 28, 2023, 09:11:59 PM »

If you want to amend you statement to evidence piled up over multiple seasons, I would gladly agree with you. My comment was specifically about your claim that 10 games is enough evidence to "know" if a coach would work out or not.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #217 on: January 28, 2023, 09:54:49 PM »
It is well known that TAMU, the alledged knower of ball was making excuses and supporting Wojo almost to the bitter end of Wojo. Recall some of the logic that many offered that MU owed too much money to Wojo to dump him or we are trending in the right trajectory or there is nobody else available out there or it would be a blow to the program to cut him now and so on. How soon some have forgotten all that rhetoric and debate. At least we got the guy we needed even after all the excuses cleared.

Nothing alleged about it Willie. My title was granted to me by Goose, the Grand Poobah of the Meat Eaters.

I know it is easy to mistake optimism for support when one tends towards pessimism. When it comes to things outside my control (such as Marquette basketball) I tend towards optimism. Even when a player, coach, or team is not doing well, I'd rather hope for improvement than wallow. This was posted on here not long ago, agree with every word: https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/1615464939568734214

If you go through my old posts, you won't find any posts declaring Wojo a genius or claiming that he would take us to the promised land. You'll just find hope for improvement and me repeatedly maintaining that Wojo hadn't done enough to get fired until the middle of year 7...which was the year he got fired. And while it was a painful process, it ended up being for the best. No way we get Shaka if we fire Wojo any sooner. Maybe we would have gotten someone better but I doubt it. Shaka and MU seem like the perfect marriage.

You mentioned the too much money argument. I did say something along those lines in year 7 but I also gave a caveat every time I said it. It was too much money for MU. If a donor or donors stepped in to pay the buyout than he would be fired. That's what happened. If that had happened, Wojo would have been our coach last season.
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2023, 08:39:07 AM »
TAMU

If we could publish a MS org chart you would see that I am way down the list on Grand Poobah of the group. There are some senior members of the tribe that hold loftier positions. I might be the most vocal on MU ball, but far from the leader of the crew.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2023, 09:51:19 AM »
Nothing alleged about it Willie. My title was granted to me by Goose, the Grand Poobah of the Meat Eaters.

I know it is easy to mistake optimism for support when one tends towards pessimism. When it comes to things outside my control (such as Marquette basketball) I tend towards optimism. Even when a player, coach, or team is not doing well, I'd rather hope for improvement than wallow. This was posted on here not long ago, agree with every word: https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/1615464939568734214

If you go through my old posts, you won't find any posts declaring Wojo a genius or claiming that he would take us to the promised land. You'll just find hope for improvement and me repeatedly maintaining that Wojo hadn't done enough to get fired until the middle of year 7...which was the year he got fired. And while it was a painful process, it ended up being for the best. No way we get Shaka if we fire Wojo any sooner. Maybe we would have gotten someone better but I doubt it. Shaka and MU seem like the perfect marriage.

You mentioned the too much money argument. I did say something along those lines in year 7 but I also gave a caveat every time I said it. It was too much money for MU. If a donor or donors stepped in to pay the buyout than he would be fired. That's what happened. If that had happened, Wojo would have been our coach last season.

I don’t have a dog in this fight but in my opinion, “thank god we hung on to an underperforming, losing coach a whole 7 years because look how it turned out timing-wise!” isn’t a great argument
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 10:16:59 AM by Tha Hound »

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2023, 10:06:32 AM »
I don’t have a dog in this fight but in my opinion, “thank god we hung on to an underperforming, losing coach a whole 7 years because look how it turned out timing-wise!” is a great argument

;D Ha!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #221 on: January 29, 2023, 11:37:29 AM »
I don’t have a dog in this fight but in my opinion, “thank god we hung on to an underperforming, losing coach a whole 7 years because look how it turned out timing-wise!” isn’t a great argument

Are you sure that it's not a great argument?

I think you'd agree that any earlier we weren't getting Shaka. Maybe we would have gotten someone as good or better, but what do you think the likelihood of that would be? Certainly less than 50%. Personally I think it would be less than 5% given how perfectly Shaka seems to fit here. Maybe he'll prove that wrong on the future but my confidence in MUBB is at an all time high.

Of course that's made with the benefit of hindsight but this is how big boys fire a coach. You fire a coach when you have someone better lined up to replace him. In MUs case, it was Porter Moser. They knew the absolute worst they would do was Porter Moser who would have been an improvement overr Wojo. Luckily. Shaka made himself available and here we are.
TAMU

fjm

• All American
« Reply #222 on: January 29, 2023, 11:41:55 AM »
YO! So about those brackets? I don’t understand why you guys don’t block ners and willie. No basketball content from them ever, all they do is talk about Wojo. It’s a waste of time reading their stuff.

Let’s talk brackets! With all the upsets yesterday, I know there is a seed thread already. But I really think we are ripe for a 4 seed lock. And the badgers are on the outside looking in. Don’t hate that :)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #223 on: January 29, 2023, 11:43:25 AM »
Thank heavens we were inept.  Otherwise we would be in an even worse situation. 

#scoop

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #224 on: January 29, 2023, 11:45:18 AM »
Are you sure that it's not a great argument?

I think you'd agree that any earlier we weren't getting Shaka. Maybe we would have gotten someone as good or better, but what do you think the likelihood of that would be? Certainly less than 50%. Personally I think it would be less than 5% given how perfectly Shaka seems to fit here. Maybe he'll prove that wrong on the future but my confidence in MUBB is at an all time high.

Of course that's made with the benefit of hindsight but this is how big boys fire a coach. You fire a coach when you have someone better lined up to replace him. In MUs case, it was Porter Moser. They knew the absolute worst they would do was Porter Moser who would have been an improvement overr Wojo. Luckily. Shaka made himself available and here we are.
Haha really?

feedback