[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2024  (Read 49447 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Golf 2023
« Reply #525 on: June 07, 2023, 08:11:40 AM »
DP was losing lots of its high profile talent to LIV, had become a feeder tour to PGA Tour. Their Ryder Cup team , which is a big deal on their tour, was withering. The DP had almost had become a Korn Ferry Tour 2.0. All that reduces value to Sponsors.

Now they will regain access to their talent, with coordinated schedules will  have an equal footing with PGA Tour and LIV and as result will most likely gain sponsors.

None of that has been reported as to happening.  The only hinted scheduling is there will no longer be LIV events going up against either. 

What young players did they lose to LIV hurt the Ryder Cup?  Horsfeld?  The rest were aging out.

The top players had long ago left the DP World Tour to play in the US.  How is that going to change?  Where are the specifics that even hint at this changing?

Also, LIV is dead, so it probably doesn’t want to have equal footing.

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #526 on: June 07, 2023, 08:13:10 AM »
Oof...

But how does "the game of golf" win here?  How does it "grow the game?" (I don't think he knows the answers to these question either BTW.)

He’s an idiot. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #527 on: June 07, 2023, 08:16:24 AM »
Welp

Yep.
This is why comparisons to the NBA/China fail.
This isn't hosting an exhibition tournament in Riyadh. It isn't broadcasting tournaments in the kingdom. It's not even entering commercial relationships with Saudi entities.
This is closer to selling the NBA to the CCP.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #528 on: June 07, 2023, 08:56:59 AM »
The Saudi government and their PIF will essentially own the sport of golf.  Keep in mind they offered Matsuyama 300m,  Rickie Fowler turned down 75m, and Rory and Tiger probably could have gotten what close to 2B?  They have unlimited funds.  They could set up tournaments with prize money and their stupid 54 hole set-up with purses will make the Masters look like a skins payout among recreational golfers.  Will there even be cuts anymore?  What exactly happens to the non-stars and those trying to make tbe Tour?  And how about this partnership between the PGA and LPGA?  I'm sure that's going to be fine and dandy. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 09:48:31 AM by MuggsyB »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #529 on: June 07, 2023, 09:46:20 AM »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #530 on: June 07, 2023, 10:12:45 AM »
The Saudi government and their PIF will essentially own the sport of golf.  Keep in mind they offered Matsuyama 300m,  Rickie Fowler turned down 75m, and Rory and Tiger probably could have gotten what close to 2B?  They have unlimited funds.  They could set up tournaments with prize money and their stupid 54 hole set-up with purses will make the Masters look like a skins payout among recreational golfers.  Will there even be cuts anymore?  What exactly happens to the non-stars and those trying to make tbe Tour?  And how about this partnership between the PGA and LPGA?  I'm sure that's going to be fine and dandy.

That's the whole point of this. The dream of a top players series that works within the framework of the PGA and DP World Tours.

My guess is that there will be a series of 8-10 events worldwide for the top 50 players. Perhaps it will still be branded LIV or it could have a new name. I think it will look like the old WGC events, 72 holes, but no cut. The money will be huge and funded from PIF. The old sponsor worries that the Tour had with old WGC events is now gone.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 11:08:10 AM by RJax55 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #531 on: June 07, 2023, 10:43:04 AM »
I wonder how many wealthy Wall St guys are looking at this as opportunity to challenge the new tour. It was reported a wealthy hedge fun guy was willing to invest a billion to start a Liv type tour and backed out because of a friendship with Monahan. Right now, the PGA has a long list of angry golfers and some angry fans. IMO, the PGA brand has lost a lot of value over the past 24 hours, and I hope someone out there gives them a run for their money.

I never was a guy that upset over the money paid to the Liv guys or where the money came from. My gripe was that Liv diminished the legacy of the PGA tour. I would not have disliked Liv any less if a hedge fund guy had started it and had the same format.

As we sit here today, I would love to see someone take this an opportunity to challenge the PGA tour. It is obvious the PGA has made a lot of money over the years, even with being run by idiots. Smart money guys could make a fortune with a new tour. I could come up with a nice list of great ideas to market a new league.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #532 on: June 07, 2023, 10:49:41 AM »
I wonder how many wealthy Wall St guys are looking at this as opportunity to challenge the new tour. It was reported a wealthy hedge fun guy was willing to invest a billion to start a Liv type tour and backed out because of a friendship with Monahan. Right now, the PGA has a long list of angry golfers and some angry fans. IMO, the PGA brand has lost a lot of value over the past 24 hours, and I hope someone out there gives them a run for their money.

I never was a guy that upset over the money paid to the Liv guys or where the money came from. My gripe was that Liv diminished the legacy of the PGA tour. I would not have disliked Liv any less if a hedge fund guy had started it and had the same format.

As we sit here today, I would love to see someone take this an opportunity to challenge the PGA tour. It is obvious the PGA has made a lot of money over the years, even with being run by idiots. Smart money guys could make a fortune with a new tour. I could come up with a nice list of great ideas to market a new league.

See: Andy Gardiner and the PGL

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #533 on: June 07, 2023, 11:21:28 AM »

Would be a bad bet, Goose. With the Saudi's funds, the Tour basically now has unlimited capital to pour into their top players. Sure, some players are pissed today, but I doubt that lasts. And, even if it does, it only matters what the top guys that stayed loyal to the Tour think.  The McKenzie Hughes of the world can be as mad as they want, but they don't matter. Just see Rory's positive reaction today to the news.

The only way an alternative league would have a chance is if the Tour's long-time sponsors and media partners were to now back away after this Saudi deal. That could provide an opening. However, I don't see that happening.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #534 on: June 07, 2023, 11:34:40 AM »
RJax55

I do not completely disagree with you, but the world has changed a great deal over the past few years. Ask BudLight, Target and others about pissing people off. IMO, one of the biggest mistakes made by the clown at the PGA was taking the 9/11 path as a selling point for the PGA. As I mentioned, the Saudi money was not my issue with Liv because blood money is everywhere in all of our lives. But using the 9/11 families and then taking the money is beyond a very bad look.

I think as fans digest the news, we are going to see more pissed off fans and potentially sponsors. Add that with the complete money grab and they might face more heat in the media and from fans. IMO, this is going to turn into a media nightmare for the PGA as more is learned about the deal. One other point going against them, there are people that feel badly that very wealthy guys turned down billions of dollars to be loyal and then were sold out. It is not often you will see average people feeling badly someone turned down $300m or $75m or $20m for the sake of being loyal.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #535 on: June 07, 2023, 02:32:40 PM »
None of that has been reported as to happening.  The only hinted scheduling is there will no longer be LIV events going up against either. 

What young players did they lose to LIV hurt the Ryder Cup?  Horsfeld?  The rest were aging out.

The top players had long ago left the DP World Tour to play in the US.  How is that going to change?  Where are the specifics that even hint at this changing?

Also, LIV is dead, so it probably doesn’t want to have equal footing.
Scheduling is the heart of the deal. New entity will optimize all brands PGA Tour, DP World Tour and whatever they call the Team Brand. Better logistically to maximize ad dollars

My guess is bottom half of PGA Tour players will be moved onto DP Tour and DP Tour will have events in US .

The aging Europe Ryder Cup players contributed the majority of their points at Whistling Straights . The PR value of a future Ryder Cup with America captained by Tiger versus Euro Villain Sergio is incalculable . Poulter will also be a great captain for them. Euros have a whole system of Captains and Vice Captains and they need the Westwoods and Caseys of the world for that
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #536 on: June 07, 2023, 02:42:05 PM »
Scheduling is the heart of the deal. New entity will optimize all brands PGA Tour, DP World Tour and whatever they call the Team Brand. Better logistically to maximize ad dollars

My guess is bottom half of PGA Tour players will be moved onto DP Tour and DP Tour will have events in US .

The aging Europe Ryder Cup players contributed the majority of their points at Whistling Straights . The PR value of a future Ryder Cup with America captained by Tiger versus Euro Villain Sergio is incalculable . Poulter will also be a great captain for them. Euros have a whole system of Captains and Vice Captains and they need the Westwoods and Caseys of the world for that

So, you’re guessing is what you’re saying and have no facts about the sponsors or schedule.  Current sponsors may not re-up, other sponsors may not want the negative publicity of a Saudi-backed league.  Again, there are ZERO details of a schedule either. 

Secondly, the DOJ may very well not let this “merger” happen. 

Sergio and Poults ain’t gonna be captains as long as Rory is on the team.  That ship sailed a long time ago.  And if you think Tiger is going to be captain and glad hand with Sergio as his opponent, you haven’t been paying attention at all.  None of the Saudi boys will be on the 2023 Team Europe Ryder Cup team.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #537 on: June 07, 2023, 04:25:28 PM »
If this is allowable, where's the line for foreign entities owning an entire US industry? Is it based on the industry type? Or which foreign entity?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #538 on: June 07, 2023, 04:50:57 PM »
If this is allowable, where's the line for foreign entities owning an entire US industry? Is it based on the industry type? Or which foreign entity?

Technically, the PIF is independent of the Saudi Government

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #539 on: June 07, 2023, 06:01:30 PM »
So, you’re guessing is what you’re saying and have no facts about the sponsors or schedule.  Current sponsors may not re-up, other sponsors may not want the negative publicity of a Saudi-backed league.  Again, there are ZERO details of a schedule either. 

Secondly, the DOJ may very well not let this “merger” happen. 

Sergio and Poults ain’t gonna be captains as long as Rory is on the team.  That ship sailed a long time ago.  And if you think Tiger is going to be captain and glad hand with Sergio as his opponent, you haven’t been paying attention at all.  None of the Saudi boys will be on the 2023 Team Europe Ryder Cup team.

Of course I am guessing. However DP World which is a big sponsor clearly does not care about Saudi Arabia , neither does others like Emirates Air or Rolex who sells a lot of watches to Saudi Royals

I am also saying the opposite about Tiger and Sergio in that it will be nasty and that is great reality TV.
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #540 on: June 07, 2023, 06:12:52 PM »
Of course I am guessing. However DP World which is a big sponsor clearly does not care about Saudi Arabia , neither does others like Emirates Air or Rolex who sells a lot of watches to Saudi Royals

I am also saying the opposite about Tiger and Sergio in that it will be nasty and that is great reality TV.

So you don’t know if the deal is good.  Got it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #541 on: June 07, 2023, 06:37:40 PM »
So you don’t know if the deal is good.  Got it.
I think this deal is based on the concept of not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I think this is an excellent deal for all parties involved . All the Tours , The Players , The Majors, The Charities and The Public.

---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #542 on: June 07, 2023, 06:45:12 PM »
I think this deal is based on the concept of not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I think this is an excellent deal for all parties involved . All the Tours , The Players , The Majors, The Charities and The Public.

No details, no schedule, no idea where guys can play, no idea what events will be kept, no idea who still has jobs, no idea about who is really in charge.  But excellent for everyone. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #543 on: June 07, 2023, 06:56:43 PM »
To me, it looks like Monahan and the rest of the PGA pooh-bahs thought they might get crushed in court. Not only could they have lost some expensive -- and perhaps catastrophic -- litigation, but the tour's private communications and financials would have gotten a public airing.

As for McIlroy, in the interview I saw, he used the word "resigned." He sounded way more beaten down than angry, felt he was used and duped. I'm wondering if he was tipped off in advance that something was going down. Maybe he wasn't given all the info, but some. Because his reaction sure seemed muted for a guy who spent most of the last year angry as hell about all things LIV.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #544 on: June 07, 2023, 07:21:16 PM »
No details, no schedule, no idea where guys can play, no idea what events will be kept, no idea who still has jobs, no idea about who is really in charge.  But excellent for everyone.
The guys who put this deal together for The PGA Tour are as bright as they come. The details don't matter at this point . The litigation is over , The PGA Tour got a lot of  new capital and that will solve any temporarily bruised feelings .    Saudi guys get to own a whole league which is all they care about. They are more than happy to let PGA Tour run it.

The average sports fan only follows The Majors and they will all be fine . Players Championship ,which is a big money maker for PGA Tour  ,will be able to get back to a full field. All the over the hill LIV guys over 50 will be able to go back to Champions Tour.

My guess is Greg Norman will be thrown under the bus , but will be compensated well for his efforts .
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #545 on: June 07, 2023, 07:25:23 PM »
The guys who put this deal together for The PGA Tour are as bright as they come. The details don't matter at this point . The litigation is over , The PGA Tour got a lot of  new capital and that will solve any temporarily bruised feelings .    Saudi guys get to own a whole league which is all they care about. They are more than happy to let PGA Tour run it.

The average sports fan only follows The Majors and they will all be fine . Players Championship ,which is a big money maker for PGA Tour  ,will be able to get back to a full field. All the over the hill LIV guys over 50 will be able to go back to Champions Tour.

My guess is Greg Norman will be thrown under the bus , but will be compensated well for his efforts .

Details matter to the DOJ

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #546 on: June 07, 2023, 08:13:56 PM »
You should ask your neighbors and give us the details.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #547 on: June 07, 2023, 09:23:11 PM »
You should ask your neighbors and give us the details.
When I hear something you will be first to know.
            ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #548 on: June 08, 2023, 05:48:29 AM »
i can't believe so many people had so much faith in monahan!  the pga had a HUGE cash flow.  i guess because many of the players have been able to swing their own "NIL" type deals, they didn't seem to pay much attention. 

the pga is a 1.5 billion dollar business whose non profit status has been questioned as it has been reported that they donate less than 20% to charity

it will be interesting to see who takes over monahan's position but they will need a new bed as he completely chit all over his. 

jack nicklaus, who is widely respected says this PGA-LIV relationship is "good for the game of golf".  he is obviously a jay monahan slurper trying to salvage what respect he can.  brave man as he is putting his entire golf career on the line. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #549 on: June 08, 2023, 07:33:20 AM »
i can't believe so many people had so much faith in monahan!  the pga had a HUGE cash flow.  i guess because many of the players have been able to swing their own "NIL" type deals, they didn't seem to pay much attention. 

the pga is a 1.5 billion dollar business whose non profit status has been questioned as it has been reported that they donate less than 20% to charity

it will be interesting to see who takes over monahan's position but they will need a new bed as he completely chit all over his. 

jack nicklaus, who is widely respected says this PGA-LIV relationship is "good for the game of golf".  he is obviously a jay monahan slurper trying to salvage what respect he can.  brave man as he is putting his entire golf career on the line.

Yes, Jack Nicklaus has put his entire golf career on the line.

Of all the idiotic, stupid, asinine things you’ve typed on this board, this might be your Mona Lisa.  Good lord

feedback