[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Average post game drivel.  (Read 6780 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Average post game drivel.
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2022, 12:30:12 AM »
Our defense played well. Our offense didn't remotely play well. Creighton was also abysmal offensively. We did help that, but with a competent offensive showing we win by 25. They really miss Kalkbrenner, especially Nembhard who is impotent without a marginally competent pick and roll partner.

This makes sense. Definitely played well defensively. Also did a good job getting the ball inside on offense, even if we struggled finishing during some stretches. Obviously no Kalkbrenner made it easier to go at their interior D, but that's life.

I'll take it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2022, 01:29:10 AM »
Means nothing because of the margin and result, but Marquette didn't score for about the final 4 minutes.

Score ended up looking respectable for Creighton.
VIOLENCE!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2022, 01:37:43 AM »
Ben Gold was a handful on defense today. Fun to see him grow a bit each game.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2022, 02:11:13 AM »
Means nothing because of the margin and result, but Marquette didn't score for about the final 4 minutes.

Score ended up looking respectable for Creighton.

Even with not scoring in the last 4 or so minutes, Creighton didn't make the score look respectable until they hung 7 points on the walk ons.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2022, 02:14:53 AM »
Those saying MU didn't play well only see one side of the ball. One of our best defensive games of the season.

I know King had a monster stat line, but I didn't come away impressed with him. I felt like we decided pre-gam that King couldn't beat us and we were willing to leave him open in exchange for limiting their main 4 players. He will get there certainly, but I think his big game (and his big game against Arizona State) were more about the defense deciding that limiting the Big 4 was more important than defending him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2022, 06:09:01 AM »
I don’t know how anyone can spin this into not being a positive. 

We were picked to be in the bottom quartile of the big east.  We struggled with decisively winning these types of winnable games in the past. We played with energy, depth and as a team on both ends.

I’m thrilled with how they looked last night.   

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2022, 06:41:33 AM »

We were picked to be in the bottom quartile of the big east.  We struggled with decisively winning these types of winnable games in the past. We played with energy, depth and as a team on both ends.

Exactly, MU for the 2nd game in a row, showed a half court game with over 50 PIP+FGM. After a slow start where Creighton was challenging every first dribble, MU adjusted and was just looking for every mismatch.

One of my favorite called plays was just pulling the ball back and letting Sean go 1:1. I thought Shaka did a great job using his bench and substitution patterns.

Echo TAMU on D.  Best BE DEff game since Jan 6, 2019 versus X.  Best in Shaka's tenure in conference play.

While the majority of posters say Oso for stud, I thought OMax was a handful, especially in the paint. Didn't miss. 133 ORating, 6 boards. And Oso was having trouble guarding King. (Btw, is 3 seconds still in the rule book?).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 06:46:03 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2022, 06:44:30 AM »
brew, the fact that MU got all of those misses at the rim means the offense was doing exactly what it is supposed to.     Defensively, MU took away everything but King.     
So, make more of the lay ups the offense generated and pay a little more attention to King, and this is Baylor.

A good start to the conference season
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2022, 07:07:27 AM »
3. Joplin is not at his best off the dribble.

I am concerned about Jop. Tower and others have mentioned, and I've seen it too, that he seems frustrated in his role. I think he realizes (and it probably being told) that his weaknesses on the defensive end are keeping him off the floor, but when he's playing, he looks to be trying to prove himself especially on the offensive end. While Kam has diversified the game and is letting this come to him, I see Jop trying to force his game. Tonight's numerous dribble drives or back in dribbles were (all?) unsuccessful and unnecessary.

I don't see Shaka giving up on him, and maybe he just needs another solid, across the board, performance, but I see him getting squeezed out of some playing time.

I really hope his defensive comes around and he relaxes in offense, as I believe he can be a strong player this season and beyond.

Ben Gold was a handful on defense today. Fun to see him grow a bit each game.

That moment in the first half where Sheierman hit the step back three at the end of the shot clock over Gold seemed to irk him. At the other end of the floor Gold countered with a three of his own, then got an impressive block (keeping it in bounds and straight to an MU player). That was a nice stretch from him. I'm looking forward to him having more of those.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2022, 07:12:55 AM »
Probably the worst win I’ve seen Marquette post in my lifetime.  I really don’t think the future is bright and have a lot of questions about what Shaka is doing.  An 11-point win at home to open the Big East season against Creighton, a Johnnya-come-lately, is hardly anything to be excited about.

On offense, we missed some easy shots.  I’ve never seen a good team miss shots, especially bunnies.  Do the coaches coach shooting?  Free throws?  Guys need to make 100 in a row before they leave practice.

On defense, I don’t take anything from this game.  Kalky was out and the committee will remember that and knock us 6-7 seeds.  Creighton ran up and down the court and had easy shots all game.  Terrible effort
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2022, 07:22:18 AM »
Right after Gold’s nice short run, he got subbed out for some reason.  Couldn’t understand it…

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2022, 07:23:39 AM »
Right after Gold’s nice short run, he got subbed out for some reason.  Couldn’t understand it…

Shaka is plying mind games. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2022, 07:26:41 AM »

Scoop special
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2022, 07:29:02 AM »
I am concerned about Jop. Tower and others have mentioned, and I've seen it too, that he seems frustrated in his role. I think he realizes (and it probably being told) that his weaknesses on the defensive end are keeping him off the floor, but when he's playing, he looks to be trying to prove himself especially on the offensive end. While Kam has diversified the game and is letting this come to him, I see Jop trying to force his game. Tonight's numerous dribble drives or back in dribbles were (all?) unsuccessful and unnecessary.

I don't see Shaka giving up on him, and maybe he just needs another solid, across the board, performance, but I see him getting squeezed out of some playing time.

I really hope his defensive comes around and he relaxes in offense, as I believe he can be a strong player this season and beyond.

That moment in the first half where Sheierman hit the step back three at the end of the shot clock over Gold seemed to irk him. At the other end of the floor Gold countered with a three of his own, then got an impressive block (keeping it in bounds and straight to an MU player). That was a nice stretch from him. I'm looking forward to him having more of those.
No worries about him, he is transferring.
Goal is National Championship

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2022, 07:31:24 AM »
No worries about him, he is transferring.

He’s not a white guy, so that’s fine

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2022, 07:35:17 AM »
Our program is so much better than 2 years ago
What??Have we forgotten Wojo already?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2022, 07:37:00 AM »
What??Have we forgotten Wojo already?

No, he recruited Kam and Oso to Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2022, 07:48:03 AM »
brew, the fact that MU got all of those misses at the rim means the offense was doing exactly what it is supposed to.     Defensively, MU took away everything but King.     
So, make more of the lay ups the offense generated and pay a little more attention to King, and this is Baylor.

A good start to the conference season

It's fine, but the execution definitely wasn't there. This defensive effort will give them a chance most nights, but like the team said earlier, we want more.

I get that most people are happily surprised by this team. They saw a 9th placed team that is overachieving. I always thought this was a top-half team, a potential league contender, and better than Creighton. I'm happy seeing them meet expectations, but I'm still hoping to see them exceed expectations. Baylor was that. Last night was not.

Great defense, good result, but nothing that moves the dial for me.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2022, 07:49:23 AM »
if those are serious comments on jop transferring, i hope they aren't true for the reasons suggested.  if shaka thinks his defense needs work, jop better take notice how many in the basketball world buttered their bread-DEFENSE, right jimmy?

he's got the tools.  now he just needs to put in the work.  go forth young man and bone up on the "D" we know you can shoot the rock
don't...don't don't don't don't

fjm

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2022, 07:52:16 AM »
if those are serious comments on jop transferring, i hope they aren't true for the reasons suggested.  if shaka thinks his defense needs work, jop better take notice how many in the basketball world buttered their bread-DEFENSE, right jimmy?

he's got the tools.  now he just needs to put in the work.  go forth young man and bone up on the "D" we know you can shoot the rock

They are not serious. They just trollin and busting chops. :)

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2022, 07:54:23 AM »
Good game.
A win is a win.
Get ready for Providence like they did against Notre Dame.
Go Marquette!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2022, 07:56:48 AM »
They are not serious. They just trollin and busting chops. :)

figured as such, but just thought i'd use it for my point.  plus mom and dad would probably ground him having to give up their front row tix 15 minutes from home 8-)
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2022, 07:57:13 AM »
The really funny thing is that MU won by double digits.    And scoop is disappointed.  Yes, there are always lessons to be learned.

But point 1 holds.  If MU had made half the layups they missed, this is a laugher.

Disappointed?  I’m freaking ecstatic.  The only thing I’m disappointed in we lost 7 years due to incompetence.  The past 1.5 are showing how much fun it can be when #mubb plays like #mubb.  Leading with defense, leading with effort, leading with accountability.  We’re in such a good place and I am so thankful. 

Let’s roll. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2022, 07:58:04 AM »
The Aristocrats

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2022, 08:02:31 AM »
Every day is a new joy.

Gauntlet means huge game at the Dunk on Tuesday

The Dunk be gowne. Same place, different sponsor - Amica?

feedback