[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gun deaths now #1 cause of death for U.S. children  (Read 4321 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Gun deaths now #1 cause of death for U.S. children
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2022, 06:57:40 PM »
Good call.  Not nearly so many guns then.  Thanks.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2022, 11:41:39 PM »
Typical red herring response.

Abject poverty in the Great Depression did not cause kids to routinely  kill each other.

Gun and drug availability plus the prevalence of gang culture. Poverty with a stable family which was more common back then is a hell of a lot different than poverty with substance abusing parents or when they're incarcerated so a kids put into the system. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2022, 01:31:22 AM »

Abject poverty in the Great Depression did not cause kids to routinely  kill each other.

No. Just plenty of grown adults involved in organized crime.

Later on these would devolve into what we now call gangs. Who prey on children raised in poverty.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2022, 07:01:21 AM »
from the cdc-drugs kill more people than guns.  don't have the breakdown in age groups

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2022, 07:23:50 AM »

1933 saw the highest homicide mortality rate in the entire 1900s (9.7) until 1980 (10.0).  (Also a bad economic year.)  To put it in context, the rate was 6.5 in 2020.

The Great Depression was a very violent time in our history - also driven largely by gun violence.  It got better as the economy slowly improved throughout the 1930s, but let's not pretend it was some idyllic time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2022, 08:13:30 AM »

1933 saw the highest homicide mortality rate in the entire 1900s (9.7) until 1980 (10.0).  (Also a bad economic year.)  To put it in context, the rate was 6.5 in 2020.

The Great Depression was a very violent time in our history - also driven largely by gun violence.  It got better as the economy slowly improved throughout the 1930s, but let's not pretend it was some idyllic time.

Gun violence is as American as apple pie and baseball
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2022, 08:31:55 AM »
from the cdc-drugs kill more people than guns.  don't have the breakdown in age groups

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm

Cool. And most of those drugs are illegal in the U.S.

Surprised you believe that the U.S. should make guns illegal, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2022, 08:34:55 AM »
Cool. And most of those drugs are illegal in the U.S.

Surprised you believe that the U.S. should make guns illegal, too.

Founding fathers didn’t say anything about drugs in the constitution, yet we think we know better than them.  SMDH
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2022, 08:38:05 AM »
Drugs don't kill people. They are just inanimate objects.  People kill people.

People weren't dying from drug use when they still went to church.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2022, 08:47:37 AM »
“If people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up.”

-- Drug expert Rush Limbaugh 1995

"Except me."

-- Drug addict Rush Limbaugh 2003

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2022, 08:11:09 AM »
U.S. Senator Thom Tillis from N.C., one of the Republican leaders of the bipartisan firearm-responsibility legislation that passed Congress earlier this year, has gotten heat from those to his right. But he told McClatchey News Service that he doesn't regret working on the bill with Democrat Chris Murphy following the school shooting in Uvalde.

“All the concerns that the Second Amendment advocates have have not materialized,” Tillis said. “In other words, they’re still processing instant background checks at the same rate they were before the bill got implemented.”

But Tillis said what he learned the bill did do was more meaningful.

Part of the bill created the ability for juvenile records to be used for criminal background checks for young adults trying to buy firearms.

As of an update he received two weeks ago: “We’ve had 11 people who are under the age of 21 who went to buy a weapon and they had serious mental health adjudications or criminal background checks,” Tillis said. “In one case, a person was going to trial, who had just gone to a hearing three days earlier for assault and battery on a police officer, who was going to try and purchase a long gun.”

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2022, 01:39:23 PM »
Per the CDC's own data the difference between gun violence and defensive gun usage is about 2 orders of magnitude. They deduce that as many as 2.5 million incidences of DGU occur yearly each year.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2022, 01:45:30 PM »
Per the CDC's own data the difference between gun violence and defensive gun usage is about 2 orders of magnitude. They deduce that as many as 2.5 million incidences of DGU occur yearly each year.

I Google this up...see its been a recent Fox News talking point...snicker and found someone else to ignore on this matter.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2022, 02:26:48 PM »

Typical uninformed post.

U.S. Homicide rate (per 100,000)
1933: 9.7
2021: 6.9

Sources:
https://www.history.com/topics/great-depression/crime-in-the-great-depression
https://time.com/6216504/fbi-crime-report-2021/

Edit: Oof .. I see Sultan beat me to it.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 02:29:26 PM by Pakuni »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2022, 02:31:14 PM »
Typical uninformed post.

U.S. Homicide rate (per 100,000)
1933: 9.7
2021: 6.9

Sources:
https://www.history.com/topics/great-depression/crime-in-the-great-depression
https://time.com/6216504/fbi-crime-report-2021/

Edit: Oof .. I see Sultan beat me to it.
Just don't expect facts to have any impact on his beliefs.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2022, 02:35:59 PM »

This figure comes from a 30-year-old, widely disputed and deeply flawed study that has since been revised by its author.
Just on the face of it, it doesn't make any sense. For that figure to be accurate, there would have to be nearly 7,000 DGU per day in the U.S. 7,000!

https://www.vacps.org/public-policy/the-contradictions-of-kleck
https://reason.com/2018/09/04/what-the-cdcs-mid-90s-surveys-on-defensi/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 03:05:33 PM by Pakuni »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2022, 02:51:01 PM »
Yes, I'm aware.  And most of those are people forgetting that they've packed a gun, left it in a bag, or didn't know they couldn't bring it.  They're not actively trying to hide the firearm.

https://onemileatatime.com/tsa-fails-tests-95-percent/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/investigation-breaches-us-airports-allowed-weapons-through-n367851

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/13/us/tsa-gun-flight/index.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgoldstein/2017/11/09/tsa-misses-70-of-fake-weapons-but-thats-an-improvement/?sh=1dcffe712a38

https://reason.com/2021/11/19/after-20-years-of-failure-kill-the-tsa/

They're trash.

Apropos of nothing, I’ve been in a TSA line 4 times while a gun was found over the last 3-4 years.   One person was genuinely surprised that it was not allowed (probably not mentally competent to own a firearm based on that alone) and the other 3 were varying shades of mortified/embarrassed/terrified.  Either they were Jeremy Irons caliber actors or just clueless and forgetful.

Closer to the point, I have friends that have forgotten and passed through TSA with a large folding knife, a taser, and full bottle of wine.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2022, 03:54:16 PM »
Closer to the point, I have friends that have forgotten and passed through TSA with a large folding knife, a taser, and full bottle of wine.
Sounds like a hella interesting party.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2022, 03:54:36 PM »
“If people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up.”

-- Drug expert Rush Limbaugh 1995

"Except me."

-- Drug addict Rush Limbaugh 2003

so tell me 82, do all drug addicts lack credibility or just the ones you don't like?  the ones you disagree with-pull the drug addict card on them?  this could get real juicy
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2022, 04:25:42 PM »
so tell me 82, do all drug addicts lack credibility or just the ones you don't like?  the ones you disagree with-pull the drug addict card on them?  this could get real juicy

The real question is, do you think drug addicts should be subject to the justice system?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2022, 05:53:31 PM »

Drug addicts have sicknesses. Most of them don’t call for all drug addicts (except for themselves) to be imprisoned, like your hypocritical, criminal hero did.

Why are you and those like you always crowing about law and order, and taking responsibility, even as you worship lawless people who don’t accept personal responsibility? This could get real juicy.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 05:56:30 PM by MU82 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2022, 07:37:15 PM »

I'm glad Rush is dead.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2022, 07:59:29 PM »
Is it because he bitch slapped your brothers and sisters every day, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2022, 05:04:36 AM »
Is it because he bitch slapped your brothers and sisters every day, hey?

I respected the fact that he knew how to grift a generation of suckers with his act

feedback