Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lowest lows follow the highest highs  (Read 12503 times)

Mu8891

• All American
Re: Lowest lows follow the highest highs
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2022, 07:40:26 AM »
How could Shaka have NOT practiced late game ( last 5 seconds) situations ??

That’s embarrassing and inexcusable.

They have played 4 decent to good teams.  They are 1 - 3, and have failed
( badly) in execution in the last few minutes of each loss.  That’s a problem

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2022, 07:43:04 AM »
Shaka needs to trust the freshman a little more.  I think our starters were gassed they seemed to play all the last 10 minutes.
With the game on the line, O-Max shooting a 3 is not a good possession.
If Hepburn doesn't get hurt, I don't think we ever get back in that game.
Wisconsin is very well coached.
FTs matter a little.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 06:22:53 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2022, 07:47:32 AM »
When asked about this during the post game show, Shaka put that squarely on himself and said the team simply hadn’t worked on those types of plays much in practice.  That much was obvious — the team seemed completely clueless and neither of Kolek’s passes came within five feet of a Marquette player.

I like Shaka and think he has us headed in a better direction than Wojo, but that lack of preparation isn’t something you’d expect from a guy who’s been a D1 head coach for over ten years.  Bit of a head scratcher.

Thanks for pointing that out. I just listened to the presser now.

"We've got to find the right guy to make that pass and that catch. We've worked on that some in practice but nowhere near enough, and that's my job ... "

Well, yes it is.

While I appreciate Shaka's honesty, it's pretty shocking that a D1 head basketball coach didn't have his team prepared for an important situation -- a situation that isn't exactly rare.

Very disappointing, and a poor look on our highly compensated, nationally praised head coach -- who is now 0-2 against the in-state rival that we all love to hate.

Wiz also made numerous outstanding points, especially about Shaka's poor personnel decisions.

Good coaches can have bad games, just as good players and good refs can. Learn lessons, get better, beat the eff out of ND, and then win lots of BEast games.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2022, 07:52:24 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out. I just listened to the presser now.

"We've got to find the right guy to make that pass and that catch. We've worked on that some in practice but nowhere near enough, and that's my job ... "

Well, yes it is.

While I appreciate Shaka's honesty, it's pretty shocking that a D1 head basketball coach didn't have his team prepared for an important situation -- a situation that isn't exactly rare.

Very disappointing, and a poor look on our highly compensated, nationally praised head coach -- who is now 0-2 against the in-state rival that we all love to hate.

Wiz also made numerous outstanding points, especially about Shaka's poor personnel decisions.

Good coaches can have bad games, just as good players and good refs can. Learn lessons, get better, beat the eff out of ND, and then win lots of BEast games.
I think Wisconsin is going to give us fits for the balance of the Gard/Shaka era.  A well coached team that can avoid excessive turnovers and slow pace with a good big is a tough match up for Shaka teams.

I hope that comment ages more like milk than fine wine.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2022, 08:13:04 AM »
Add me to the list of people that wanted Sean Jones in at the end.  Get him the ball streaking up the sideline.

Either call timeout at halfcourt or at least get a heave at the basket, a la Junior Cadougan vs UConn.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2022, 08:25:18 AM »
I don't get it.  Then inbound the ball to Joplin and let him take 3 dribbles and a heave.  I surely didn't expect a Christian Laettner style one timer.

oh so simple...ya'd think he might have a player or 3 all over him like a bad trench coat
don't...don't don't don't don't

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2022, 08:43:52 AM »
CT   -  I agree with you.  But it’s
Shaka’s job to figure that out.  Soon.
Continued losing to Madison will not wear well

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2022, 09:04:11 AM »
Shaka ball can beat undisciplined teams.  Against a mediocre fundamentally solid Wisconsin team, shaka ball does not win. Shaka ball disappoints at crunch time repeatedly (as does Kolek).   

BEast coaches will figure this out - this is shaping up to be a repeat of last season. Wish this is not the case, but what will change the course?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2022, 09:15:02 AM »
Shaka ball can beat undisciplined teams.  Against a mediocre fundamentally solid Wisconsin team, shaka ball does not win. Shaka ball disappoints at crunch time repeatedly (as does Kolek).   

BEast coaches will figure this out - this is shaping up to be a repeat of last season. Wish this is not the case, but what will change the course?

Playing better.

Look, I get it. Losing to UW sucks. But it hardly means doom and gloom for the rest of the season. They were down 11 at half, fought back to take a lead, and could have extended it (and IMO put the game to bed) had OMax hit that uncontested 3 up top.

And down 2 with six seconds to go, Shaka drew up a nice play that TK and Oso ran to perfection.  And even then, down seven in OT they came back to tie it back up.

We aren't as good as Scoop thought on Wednesday morning, but we aren't as bad as Scoop thinks this morning.  And blanket statements like "Shaka ball disappoints at crunch time repeatedly" are just selective memories of negative events.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2022, 09:18:57 AM »

Well, yes it is.

Shaka's "explanation still bugs me.  He is saying the play was right but the execution wasn't.  I don't think the play was right AT ALL.  That is a play you run when you've got under 2 seconds to get off a shot.  3.5 is a lot more time particularly when you also have a timeout.  Kam had proven to be the go to guy all day so he should be primary but we have other guards who can dribble up and shot as alternatives.  Assuming the ball is inbounded around 3/4 court a skilled dribbler can easily get in position to take a shot.  In fact fast guards can even get to the rim.  I've seen teams do it against MU.  Unless that was the ONLY end of game play Shaka has had them practice it was the WRONG play call.  A coaching mistake pure and simple and as other have said very concerning coming from our experienced coach. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2022, 09:19:44 AM »

Playing better.

Look, I get it. Losing to UW sucks. But it hardly means doom and gloom for the rest of the season. They were down 11 at half, fought back to take a lead, and could have extended it (and IMO put the game to bed) had OMax hit that uncontested 3 up top.

And down 2 with six seconds to go, Shaka drew up a nice play that TK and Oso ran to perfection.  And even then, down seven in OT they came back to tie it back up.

We aren't as good as Scoop thought on Wednesday morning, but we aren't as bad as Scoop thinks this morning.  And blanket statements like "Shaka ball disappoints at crunch time repeatedly" are just selective memories of negative events.
I appreciate the voice of reason.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2022, 09:28:04 AM »

You mean another tourney appearance after being picked 9th in the conference?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2022, 09:30:36 AM »
oh so simple...ya'd think he might have a player or 3 all over him like a bad trench coat

Yes, that is what I think.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2022, 09:41:27 AM »
Shaka lost this game.  Too many coaching mistakes cost us in a close game.

Did Shaka lose the game or the players. Oso and Omax had the game in there hands and refused to make a clutch shot.  Also, the inability to guard Essigian was a coaches problem, one of the best shooters I have seen had to many open shots! That was on Shaka.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2022, 10:05:08 AM »
I'd be mad if the team spent a ton of time on those miracle situation in practice. Folks are really hung up on that when the team played an undisciplined game on the defensive end. Especially the first half.

I agree Shaka had a bad day, but not because of those plays at the end.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2022, 10:13:16 AM »
Yep, that’s the ceiling

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2022, 10:16:11 AM »
I can see some of the rationale of the double teaming. Put pressure on the ball and hope it gets them into a turnover or rushing shots earlier by being open. They aren’t a great 3 point team. I don’t agree with it since it allowed them to get hot. Hepburn hit some tough long twos.

I had to look up the score from last year’s UW game, I sort of forgot it. It would have been a big non-conference win, but if we beat ND, I think we’ve set ourselves up well.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2022, 10:19:04 AM »
I think Shaka’s response to the last plays is a little more nuanced. He quietly called out TK for making terrible passes but is taking the heat. That’s good coaching. We had plenty of chances to win before the last two inbounds plays. WI is frustrating, we fought hard after being absolutely punched in the face in half one.

Having S Jones in at the end is an interesting thought, it didn’t cross my mind as I liked going with the experienced guys, but I think it might have been a good thought if the play was to get it in quickly and push it up the court. I want to beat WI badly every year, but what a game to be at and the boys fought.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2022, 10:29:03 AM »

Exactly.

Reasonable people would be happy with that.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »
If we played the defense in the first half that we played in the second half they would not have shot what, 70%? UW is not a mediocre team as some here have said. Thy lost 2 close games and now we lost 3 to teams that like to control the tempo. We are only a third of the way into the season and quite frankly I would have us start out with some disappointing losses and hopefully finish the season strong, unlike last year. There a lot of games to play and even the games we lost were fun to watch because we were in the game until the last few possessions.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2022, 10:43:19 AM »

Did Shaka lose the game or the players. Oso and Omax had the game in there hands and refused to make a clutch shot.  Also, the inability to guard Essigian was a coaches problem, one of the best shooters I have seen had to many open shots! That was on Shaka.
Let's not go down this road again. The Pro-Jo's had their pity party about the players old Wojo was made to coach. That did not play out well at all.

I trust Shaka will turn this around. The team is lacking BE quality now but Shaka will bring in better players. Just like every system in basketball, Shaka's needs an above average PG. Shaka's system has a very high ceiling and I'm excited to see it. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2022, 11:17:01 AM »
For as much criticism as Shaka is getting for the inbounds plays, if Kolek executes a pretty easy pass to an open Kam Jones he’s one dribble across half court and calls a timeout. Players have to execute.
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2022, 11:18:13 AM »
For as much criticism as Shaka is getting for the inbounds plays, if Kolek executes a pretty easy pass to an open Kam Jones he’s one dribble across half court and calls a timeout. Players have to execute.
Yes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2022, 11:22:01 AM »
Let's not go down this road again. The Pro-Jo's had their pity party about the players old Wojo was made to coach. That did not play out well at all.

I trust Shaka will turn this around. The team is lacking BE quality now but Shaka will bring in better players. Just like every system in basketball, Shaka's needs an above average PG. Shaka's system has a very high ceiling and I'm excited to see it.

Shakas coaching is fine, he turned a bad situation into a good one, one that will be better in the future.  Excited moving forward with the 8 or 9 players coming back
next year and 3 recruits he brought in for next year, future is bright.   Last play, oh well, did not work, but MU had 39 minutes and 56 seconds to win that game. 

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2022, 11:36:23 AM »
There were a lot of overconfident Scoopers prior to this game. Surprising to me. Wisconsin board probably going to town with some of those. This loss doesn't bother me. Hopefully a good lesson for both the coaching staff and the players and Scoopdom!

[/img]