Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lowest lows follow the highest highs  (Read 11973 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: Lowest lows follow the highest highs
« Reply #175 on: December 04, 2022, 08:35:23 PM »
And the Badgers.

😂 ok.

Just because I can admit that they are good doesn't mean I like them.  I despise them just like the rest of you.
VIOLENCE!

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #176 on: December 04, 2022, 08:40:28 PM »
Both MU & UW will make the tournament this year. They're good teams. MU has a higher ceiling, and UW has the style and discipline to play anyone close.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #177 on: December 04, 2022, 08:44:53 PM »
Correct.  Marquette is better than I anticipated and Georgia Tech is significantly worse than anticipated. 

UW is a better basketball team than Baylor and Marquette right now.

Are you seriously using the transitive property now?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #178 on: December 04, 2022, 08:47:34 PM »
Are you seriously using the transitive property now?

Moreso the eye test.

Wisconsin looks like the best of the 3 at this moment in time.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #179 on: December 04, 2022, 09:31:05 PM »
Not a genius at all.  Seen enough college basketball to know that UW has a better team right now than Marquette.

They have the win (most importantly), the experience, the additional tournament success, and the roster.  We could get there, but aren't there right now.  That's absolutely a reasonable take. Not sure what the issue is with it.

Early in the season, you gleefully re-posted your preseason predictions to remind everyone that you had the courage and deep basketball knowledge to predict a few wins over cupcakes and a road loss to a very good Purdue team.

You’re a classic “I Told You So” poser … who predictably didn’t re-post your picks after missing on Georgia Tech and Baylor by literally dozens of points each.

Those were the two worst MU hoops predictions on Scoop so far this season, made less than a week apart. Congrats!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #180 on: December 04, 2022, 10:41:53 PM »
Early in the season, you gleefully re-posted your preseason predictions to remind everyone that you had the courage and deep basketball knowledge to predict a few wins over cupcakes and a road loss to a very good Purdue team.

You’re a classic “I Told You So” poser … who predictably didn’t re-post your picks after missing on Georgia Tech and Baylor by literally dozens of points each.

Those were the two worst MU hoops predictions on Scoop so far this season, made less than a week apart. Congrats!

Lmaooooo.

You are quite far off.
VIOLENCE!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #181 on: December 05, 2022, 04:44:34 AM »
Or was the game close because they hit multiple 35 foot fade aways with a hand in their face? Because those were not good shots.

Again, you are putting a lot of weight on one head to head matchup. Sometimes the worse team wins. That's the beauty of a one game playoff.

Yet they made those shots and there were some wide open shots they were making as well. It was our defense in the first half that lost us that game. Well, I'm not so sure UW is the worse team. You know the stats better than I do and UW may be worse statistically than MU, but the only stat that counts is how many points you have when the clock runs out. Like you said we could play them 10 times and we would probably split the 10 games; maybe MU could even win 6, I don't know. We came up short in 3 really competitive games that at least for me were fun to watch. Hopefully we will start winning those close ones.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2022, 05:35:16 AM »
Yet they made those shots and there were some wide open shots they were making as well. It was our defense in the first half that lost us that game. Well, I'm not so sure UW is the worse team. You know the stats better than I do and UW may be worse statistically than MU, but the only stat that counts is how many points you have when the clock runs out. Like you said we could play them 10 times and we would probably split the 10 games; maybe MU could even win 6, I don't know. We came up short in 3 really competitive games that at least for me were fun to watch. Hopefully we will start winning those close ones.

So if Jop's 70 foot heave goes in, that completely changes your outlook on the game?

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2022, 05:35:53 AM »
Moreso the eye test.

Is Marquette better than UWGB?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2022, 06:59:19 AM »
You are quite far off.

OK ...

Re-posted preseason predictions early in the season to show how smart you were - check.

Never re-posted preseason predictions after you were frightfully wrong about Baylor - check.

Actually picked Ga Tech preseason but changed your mind and said they'd win by 3, but they then lost by 24 (aka literally dozens of points) - check.

Picked Baylor preseason and then said it was out of the realm of possibility for Marquette to win the game, but Baylor then lost by 26 (aka literally dozens of points) - check.

In subsequent posts, you said "Baylor is a loss, Georgia Tech ... coinflip," and yet Marquette won those games by a combined 50 (aka literally more than 4 dozen points). The two worse game predictions on Scoop this season - check.

What was I "quite far off" about?

Look, it's OK to have ridiculous takes. Almost every Scooper has them every now and then. But at least own 'em, Mr. GT By 3.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2022, 09:17:15 AM »
OK ...

Re-posted preseason predictions early in the season to show how smart you were - check.

Never re-posted preseason predictions after you were frightfully wrong about Baylor - check.

Actually picked Ga Tech preseason but changed your mind and said they'd win by 3, but they then lost by 24 (aka literally dozens of points) - check.

Picked Baylor preseason and then said it was out of the realm of possibility for Marquette to win the game, but Baylor then lost by 26 (aka literally dozens of points) - check.

In subsequent posts, you said "Baylor is a loss, Georgia Tech ... coinflip," and yet Marquette won those games by a combined 50 (aka literally more than 4 dozen points). The two worse game predictions on Scoop this season - check.

What was I "quite far off" about?

Look, it's OK to have ridiculous takes. Almost every Scooper has them every now and then. But at least own 'em, Mr. GT By 3.

I have.  I said multiple times that I was off and Marquette is a much better team than I originally anticipated.  Along with that I am happy with where the team is at and are ahead of schedule development-wise even if I still don't believe they are quite a tournament team.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2022, 09:21:02 AM »
I have.  I said multiple times that I was off and Marquette is a much better team than I originally anticipated.  Along with that I am happy with where the team is at and are ahead of schedule development-wise even if I still don't believe they are quite a tournament team.

Thanks. Glad I wasn't actually "quite far off" and that you've had some really ridiculous takes this season, including the two worst game predictions on Scoop. Have a good one!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2022, 09:23:11 AM »
Per PaintTouches

"Playing around with TeamCast on Torvik, it will take at least 12 Big East wins to get #mubb into the dance if they lose at ND.

A win in South Bend and 11 wins puts MU in as a 9 seed.

For reference, #mubb has only won 12 Big East games once since the Reformation, in 2019."

Gotta label it a must-win on Sunday.
VIOLENCE!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #188 on: December 05, 2022, 09:29:35 AM »
Per PaintTouches

"Playing around with TeamCast on Torvik, it will take at least 12 Big East wins to get #mubb into the dance if they lose at ND.

A win in South Bend and 11 wins puts MU in as a 9 seed.

For reference, #mubb has only won 12 Big East games once since the Reformation, in 2019."

Gotta label it a must-win on Sunday.

According to what you quoted, it is by definition, not a must win. It is a must win if we don't want to have to win 12+ games in conference. This team is capable of winning 12 games in this version of the Big East.

The last line of the tweet is flawed. It doesn't take into account that for the majority of that span there were only 18 Big East games a year, now there are 20. It also doesn't take into account that Wojo was our coach for all but two of those seasons.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2022, 09:35:45 AM »

The last line of the tweet is flawed. It doesn't take into account that for the majority of that span there were only 18 Big East games a year, now there are 20. It also doesn't take into account that Wojo was our coach for all but two of those seasons.

Very fair point. And going 11-7 in the old days actually represents a higher win % than 12-8 this year.

What’s crazy to me is I don’t think we have EVER played 20 regular season BEast games.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2022, 09:40:45 AM »
According to what you quoted, it is by definition, not a must win. It is a must win if we don't want to have to win 12+ games in conference. This team is capable of winning 12 games in this version of the Big East.

Maybe so, but last year they finished 11-9 with a 1st team All Big East player, and are down 3 starters from that team.  In addition to that Darryl was their 2nd leading scorer and best defender and Kur provided depth up front.  Could they finish better than 11-9? Sure I guess so, but the Big East is a grind and with almost no depth upfront at least to this point it can wear on a team.  Definitely going to need a healthy Wrightsil just to be a body that can give Oso rest.
VIOLENCE!

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2022, 09:45:39 AM »
Moreso the eye test.

How so? MU is UW's best win. Their Stanford and Dayton wins on a neutral court are looking worse and worse as the year goes on. Both will have to win their tournament to get a NCAA bid.

USC is meh and Kansas is very overrated...

This is not that good of a UW team. They will win games because they drag teams into the mud and record will look OK because they only play the top B10 teams once this year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2022, 10:09:06 AM »
Maybe so, but last year they finished 11-9 with a 1st team All Big East player, and are down 3 starters from that team.

Nope. 11-8 in BEast reg season
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2022, 10:13:35 AM »
Maybe so, but last year they finished 11-9 with a 1st team All Big East player, and are down 3 starters from that team.  In addition to that Darryl was their 2nd leading scorer and best defender and Kur provided depth up front.  Could they finish better than 11-9? Sure I guess so, but the Big East is a grind and with almost no depth upfront at least to this point it can wear on a team.  Definitely going to need a healthy Wrightsil just to be a body that can give Oso rest.

You again fail to account for the improvement of several of our players, or the contributions of our freshmen, and you also fail to account for other BEast teams seemingly not being as good as they were last season.

We do need someone to spell Oso, whether it is Wrightsil or a more-developed Gold or O-Max in some small-ball formations.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2022, 10:14:12 AM »
Nope. 11-8 in BEast reg season

Ahh I forgot about that St. John's cancellation.
VIOLENCE!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2022, 03:55:19 PM »
We probably lose 6 of 10 to Baylor. We got one of the 4. We probably beat RED 6 of 10, maybe 7.  They got one of the 4. MU is a tourney team. Keep the band together, NEXT season is where things start to look quite nice with improvements and reinforcements.