[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Zach Wrightsil - where is he?  (Read 6182 times)

OldWarrior

• Walk-On
Zach Wrightsil - where is he?
« on: November 30, 2022, 11:17:57 AM »
What has happened to Zach Wrightsil?  I thought when we needed size he was an option.

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Zach Wrightsil - where is he?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 11:18:49 AM »
What has happened to Zach Wrightsil?  I thought when we needed size he was an option.

He transfered
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

panda

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 11:18:58 AM »
Transferred to Wisconsin

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 11:19:15 AM »
Lingering knee issues after he had surgery on it in June.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 11:19:24 AM »

See: injury reports.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 11:27:03 AM »
Medical redshirt requirements:

The injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and the athlete must have competed in less than 30 percent of the season.

Looks like he meets those requirements. I don’t think he plays another minute for MU. I think he transfers at the end of the season and plays another season somewhere else.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 11:28:45 AM by CountryRoads »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 11:31:14 AM »
Medical redshirt requirements:

The injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and the athlete must have competed in less than 30 percent of the season.

Looks like he meets those requirements. I don’t think he plays another minute for MU. I think he transfers at the end of the season and plays another season somewhere else.

I was wondering last night if he could redshirt being a 5th year senior. I think you may be right.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 11:40:34 AM »
I don't think we will see Wrightsil until after winter break. I think they want to give him time to get healthy and then will need time to work him back into the rotation.

I don't think he will take a medical redshirt unless the knee issue really lingers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 01:12:06 PM »
With our scholarship situation even if he takes a medical redshirt it likely won’t be at Marquette.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 01:17:20 PM »
With our scholarship situation even if he takes a medical redshirt it likely won’t be at Marquette.

I think he still has value to give to this team.  Oso is going to need rest and Wrightsil has a lot of similar skills.

He may only get 8-10 minutes but they will be important.  Gotta start by getting healthy.
VIOLENCE!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 09:34:21 PM »
Shaka has said one thing repeatedly about  Zach- that we should expect him to be much better in December than he is in Nov, much better in Jan than in December and so on and so forth.

I think it’s wise to believe what Shaka is preaching at this point.

So, I’d suggest that before seasons end ZW still plays a major role on this squad.
Giving him some extra time to recover early in the season is the right move, and it has the added benefit of getting Ben and hopefully even Keeyan- when inevitably Oso ends up in some foul trouble- some extra run for times of need.

As long as his knee injury doesn’t become a season ender I tend to believe Shaka that Zach Wrightsil be a much better player later in the season, and have an important role on this years squad.
Maybe not as prominent as we had expected, but still important.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 10:39:05 PM »
There’s no such thing as ‘taking a medical redshirt’. There is a medical hardship waiver, which does not involve a decision of, ‘should I play or just sit out the rest of the year’. It’s based on incapacity to compete.

So, unless there’s a doctor that wants to say, ‘he cannot play’ and that continues to be the case through March, the rest of the conversation or thoughts isn’t relevant. If his knee isn’t letting him play until early February… he can’t just say, ‘well, I could play now, but I’d rather just sit out and be eligible for a medical hardship waiver’.. that’s not the rule.

Now, if he goes back for surgery next week, I’d change my tune.. but, knee soreness in November doesn’t make me think he’s going to be physically unable to compete for the next three and a half months. If he’s able to go, then he doesn’t fit the criteria of the medical hardship waiver.

If somehow we got past that, then we get into the matters of this being a bonus COVID year.. and interplay between NAIA vs. DI and the Five-Year Rule… would get a little messy.

As of now, I think this is his last year of playing college basketball unless he gets another procedure(s) done and is incapable of playing through March.. but even then, it's not a #donedeal
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 11:13:24 PM »
There’s no such thing as ‘taking a medical redshirt’. There is a medical hardship waiver, which does not involve a decision of, ‘should I play or just sit out the rest of the year’. It’s based on incapacity to compete.

So, unless there’s a doctor that wants to say, ‘he cannot play’ and that continues to be the case through March, the rest of the conversation or thoughts isn’t relevant. If his knee isn’t letting him play until early February… he can’t just say, ‘well, I could play now, but I’d rather just sit out and be eligible for a medical hardship waiver’.. that’s not the rule.

Now, if he goes back for surgery next week, I’d change my tune.. but, knee soreness in November doesn’t make me think he’s going to be physically unable to compete for the next three and a half months. If he’s able to go, then he doesn’t fit the criteria of the medical hardship waiver.

If somehow we got past that, then we get into the matters of this being a bonus COVID year.. and interplay between NAIA vs. DI and the Five-Year Rule… would get a little messy.

As of now, I think this is his last year of playing college basketball unless he gets another procedure(s) done and is incapable of playing through March.. but even then, it's not a #donedeal
Ron, Ponce gold
Goal is National Championship

Viper

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 09:20:53 AM »
Do we know if he’s able to practice at all, or is it pretty much lay low until a set date to determine how things with the knee have progressed?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 09:30:06 AM »
Do we know if he’s able to practice at all, or is it pretty much lay low until a set date to determine how things with the knee have progressed?

I am not a doctor but I play one on Scoop. Pregame in Ft. Myers they were putting him through light 1:1 drills and I'd say he was about 60%. He is visibly walking with a limp due to inflammation. He is not scrimmaging nor is he even participating in pre-game team warm ups. Rest and treatment for now as TAMU and JayBee said with the hope he can get into playing shape over break.

Maybe Jimmy John's front of the house workers can provide a more thorough Scoop medical assessment?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 09:42:26 AM »
It's December 1st.  There's lots of golf left.  I see no reason to rush him back until after Christmas.  He will be needed most in conf when teams have tape on Oso and work to get him in foul trouble. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 09:50:50 AM »
It's unfortunate to say the least, but i don't see him contributing any meaningful minutes at Marquette. even once fully healthy, he'll need to get back into game ready shape (which could take weeks if all accounts of him not practicing are true). Then even after becoming ready to play he'll need to sync with his teammates. This would be easier if he had played with these guys before, but he hasn't. I think Shaka will choose to play others and focus on long term development. Remember, even when fully healthy Zach was going to be a role player at best.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2022, 09:55:56 AM »
Remember, even when fully healthy Zach was going to be a role player at best.

Was he?  A "role player at best?"
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2022, 10:49:19 AM »
When Oso needs to sit...Jop, O-Max, and/or Gold offer "similar" rebounding and defense with the ability to play 5-out. 

I don't see ZW benefiting us if he can't hit from outside. 

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »
Was he?  A "role player at best?"

I didn't view him as a player that would crack the starting 5 rotation. I also felt Joplin would could off the bench before him so he would slot in at #7. "role player at best" is my language. Maybe other disagree.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2022, 01:11:40 PM »
I didn't view him as a player that would crack the starting 5 rotation. I also felt Joplin would could off the bench before him so he would slot in at #7. "role player at best" is my language. Maybe other disagree.

But now, even if healthy he would be #10.

S Jones, Ross, and Gold all ahead of him as well.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2022, 01:12:19 PM »
With Sacar?

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2022, 01:14:50 PM »
With Sacar?

Took long enough, I thought this response would be much higher
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2022, 01:15:13 PM »
Wrightsil was closer to a starter than people will likely ever realize. His injury was a real set back. I feel bad for him. Hopefully he can contribute in some capacity late in the season. Its gonna be tough because Gold will continue to improve and he will have plenty of rust.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2022, 01:15:54 PM »