[Today at 02:05:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bulldog mentality  (Read 10333 times)

NolongerWarriors

• All American
Re: Bulldog mentality
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2022, 02:39:43 PM »
People really think this brick-laying MU team is fun to watch?

I suppose if you enjoy seeing airballed wide-open corner 3's, then Shaka has put together the perfect team for you.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2022, 02:42:22 PM »
1. I'm Mr. Happy.

2. I didn't make the trip. I had to sit in my basement listening to the police scanner because there was supposedly a live shooter at a Charlotte shopping mall, and I was worried that would affect Marquette's enrollment.
i’m in FtMyers this week visiting the folks…but watching the games on tv. Scoopers should have some sort of dress item for easy ID.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2022, 02:44:42 PM »
So fellow scoopers can identify and regular people can avoid.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2022, 02:45:58 PM »
So fellow scoopers can identify and regular people can avoid.
100%
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2022, 02:46:17 PM »
People really think this brick-laying MU team is fun to watch?

I suppose if you enjoy seeing airballed wide-open corner 3's, then Shaka has put together the perfect team for you.

I enjoy seeing a team put 100% effort into the defensive end, so yes, I have enjoyed the past year and 5 games more than the previous 7 years.

No question we are very far away from competing for anything meaningful but the 2013 Elite 8 team had similar offensive struggles and they found a way.
VIOLENCE!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2022, 02:53:57 PM »
If we lose to Georgia Tech, then I understand starting to panic. That's a team that we should beat by a solid margin. Even then I think it's a little early to panic but to each their own.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2022, 03:20:22 PM »
Last night's game is indicative of where the program is currently. Look, we haven't come close to winning an NCAA tournament game in 10 years - the college landscape has changed a lot since then. 

This is not the type of program that competes for conference championships. We don't sweep the DePauls of the world, or any other team for that matter. We're not becoming Villanova, Creighton or Xavier anytime soon.

But what we do have now are 9-10 guys who play their butts off every night. Shaka gets it - no more one-and-dones or high four star players with their eye on turning pro. Instead, we've got a squad that is fun to watch, playing hard, & committed to the team aspect of the game. You're always going to at least be in it against middle-tier SEC or B1G teams playing this way.

We're like a spunky Horizon League team, trying to hit above our weight. You string together a few seasons like this with everyone on the same page, and perhaps a magical Loyola Chicago-type run materializes. Isn't that better than bashing your head against a wall trying to become Villanova? We ain't going to out-talent the better teams in our conference or college basketball. This is the new model.

Oh Lord, this better not be the new model.  I can accept it while we build culture for a couple years but I’m hoping the recruits year over year are better than the last.  We cannot accept being a “spunky” Horizon league team with a run every ten years.  And I do t think that is what we are now.

Get old, stay old and keep bringing in better and better talent.  If this team isn’t winning NCAA games by year three or worst case scenario year four, time to start looking for a new coach.

I personally have not given up on this year’s team.  I think they will start hitting threes as the game slows down.  I say that because our experienced players are now potential go to guys and our freshman and sophomores are getting extensive playing time for the first time.  All new roles.  Purdue and MissSt are great learning experiences and I believe the game will slow down and the decision making will improve.

Also, Kolek hitting multiple threes last night was very encouraging.  He is the prime candidate for being the go to player during crunch time.  If he keeps the defense honest with his shot then his passing will be even more dangerous. 

We’ll beat Wisconsin and ND and be more optimistic going into conference play.  Hang in there gang!  Go MU!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 03:22:36 PM by Shooter McGavin »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2022, 03:24:24 PM »
They had a chance to grow from Tuesday where they failed to hold a lead late on the road.

Now they failed to hold a lead late with a pro-Marquette crowd on a neutral court.

Nothing makes me confident they will hold a lead at home against a team that traditionally doesn't make mistakes.

A win last night would have meant 5-1 because Utah is terrible. Now with the loss they will have to scratch and claw just to hopefully avoid 3-3. They better find a better way to grow!
I don't get this logic. Utah is terrible, so we would have beaten them, but now we have to scratch and claw against the team they beat?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2022, 03:32:43 PM »
I don't get this logic. Utah is terrible, so we would have beaten them, but now we have to scratch and claw against the team they beat?

Different styles. Utah doesn't have the roster to handle real pressure for 40 minutes that Marquette applies. They are in the 300 range in tempo and Marquette just has more talent.

The zone and athletes that Georgia Tech display are a tougher matchup for Marquette.  Still should win on paper.
VIOLENCE!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2022, 03:44:33 PM »
Georgia Tech's speed and zone will cause problems for our limited offensive skill.  Hope some of Kam's 30 footers fall or it'll be another close game that could go either way.

Notre Dame should be winnable, but it is a road game so maybe not. Wisconsin is just Wisconsin so probably not.

All are games are winnable.  MU needs to learn to attack the zone (that means the ability to dribble penetrate the seams).  Sean, OMax and Tyler are the only ones really able to do that.

The 4 or 5 out offense is designed to create space with passing and tempo. MSU pressured their zone out to restrict that. MU adjusted at half and was using more dribble penetration (paint touches, a necessity versus zone).  MU won the 2nd half.

There will be ups and downs.  I encourage you to enjoy them.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2022, 04:12:31 PM »
All are games are winnable.  MU needs to learn to attack the zone (that means the ability to dribble penetrate the seams).  Sean, OMax and Tyler are the only ones really able to do that.

The 4 or 5 out offense is designed to create space with passing and tempo. MSU pressured their zone out to restrict that. MU adjusted at half and was using more dribble penetration (paint touches, a necessity versus zone).  MU won the 2nd half.

There will be ups and downs.  I encourage you to enjoy them.

The last 10 years have been a waste of time with this program.  I believe Shaka is the right guy to win a tournament game, but still frustrating to have another rebuild after a promising start to his tenure.

I like all these players too, just have a lot of work to get anywhere meaningful on the  basketball court.
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2022, 04:21:00 PM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2022, 04:40:53 PM »
We're like a spunky Horizon League team, trying to hit above our weight.

OMG! We're Dayton!

If so, Kill me now. Put me out of my misery!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2022, 05:00:55 PM »
The last 10 years have been a waste of time with this program.  I believe Shaka is the right guy to win a tournament game, but still frustrating to have another rebuild after a promising start to his tenure.

I like all these players too, just have a lot of work to get anywhere meaningful on the  basketball court.

Until Shaka recruits a player with meat on his bone there going nowhere fast. Oso your center for 2 more years will not take you to the promise land. Amadeu might play center next year cause he can shot the 3

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2022, 05:01:42 PM »
OMG! We're Dayton!

If so, Kill me now. Put me out of my misery!

Join me in Jonestown

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2022, 05:07:45 PM »
In an era that demands instant gratification, a lot of people are going to be disappointed in Shaka’s approach, methinks.  You don’t have to be clairvoyant to see his approach at how he’s going to do things at Marquette.

“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2022, 05:29:23 PM »
In an era that demands instant gratification, a lot of people are going to be disappointed in Shaka’s approach, methinks.  You don’t have to be clairvoyant to see his approach at how he’s going to do things at Marquette.

More so, unlike other former coaches, he explains exactly what he is doing and what to expect.  But Scoopers ignore it...

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2022, 05:39:57 PM »
More so, unlike other former coaches, he explains exactly what he is doing and what to expect.  But Scoopers ignore it...

Right?  I don’t know if it’ll be successful.  I happen to think it’s a more practical approach, especially if the NBA drops age restrictions.  I get the frustrations after last night because there was a lot of ugly in that game and there’s going to be a lot more ugly this year.  It sucks watching games like that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2022, 05:46:07 PM »
My initial excitement over Shaka’s hiring was 99% based off of style of play and top level recruiting and it had my jacked up. He has taken a different approach in recruiting and I am still excited about the future of the program. I agree with Dr. B, Shaka has been very upfront with how he is going to recruit and build a program and I’m all in.

I would say that my continued optimism stems from the fact that we have a proven Coach and he has plenty on the line if his approach proves unsuccessful. He is all in and so am I.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2022, 05:55:13 PM »

The one issue with being a young team in today's college basketball landscape -- there's no guarantee you'll actually get old.

Guys will transfer, some inevitably don't progress, while others go off to Europe/D-League/Draft at the first hint of pro potential - real or imagined.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #170 on: November 22, 2022, 06:38:10 PM »
Right?  I don’t know if it’ll be successful.  I happen to think it’s a more practical approach, especially if the NBA drops age restrictions.  I get the frustrations after last night because there was a lot of ugly in that game and there’s going to be a lot more ugly this year.  It sucks watching games like that.

It actually was a great defensive game. I was more annoyed with the refs:  Three travels were called jump balls. Wtf? C Team

But then again, I am all COLE.  Excited to see this team grow over the next few years.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2022, 07:01:28 PM »
The one issue with being a young team in today's college basketball landscape -- there's no guarantee you'll actually get old.

Guys will transfer, some inevitably don't progress, while others go off to Europe/D-League/Draft at the first hint of pro potential - real or imagined.

I'd suggest having a little faith in Shaka's ability to build relationships and engender a player's trust.  He obviously didn't go out and bring in a transfer this year that would stunt the growth/limit the playing time of any of the guys on the existing roster from last year.  Our freshman are going to get valuable playing time this season.  Incremental improvement will happen.

If by Year 4 of Shaka's tenure we aren't solidly positioned as a Top 4 Big East team and 2nd weekend prospective team, then I'll start to wonder if I shouldn't "trust the process."  However, I feel pretty good that we'll be an NCAA team this year, and take a nice step up next year.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2022, 07:16:30 PM »
I'd suggest having a little faith in Shaka's ability to build relationships and engender a player's trust.  He obviously didn't go out and bring in a transfer this year that would stunt the growth/limit the playing time of any of the guys on the existing roster from last year.  Our freshman are going to get valuable playing time this season.  Incremental improvement will happen.

If by Year 4 of Shaka's tenure we aren't solidly positioned as a Top 4 Big East team and 2nd weekend prospective team, then I'll start to wonder if I shouldn't "trust the process."  However, I feel pretty good that we'll be an NCAA team this year, and take a nice step up next year.

Some people thought they were a high seed THIS season.  If they aren't contending for a Big East title next year with what they have returning then there is a problem.
VIOLENCE!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2022, 07:36:51 PM »
I was happy with the way the team was coached against The Bulldogs. I liked the teams overall energy.

The guys missed a bunch of wide open shots. When they learn to relax and drain those threes, life will be very good.

I continue to be bullish on the outlook for this years squad.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2022, 07:42:49 PM »
Some people thought they were a high seed THIS season.  If they aren't contending for a Big East title next year with what they have returning then there is a problem.

High seed? Which “some people” thought that?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback