'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bulldog mentality  (Read 10354 times)

RJax55

• All American
Re: Bulldog mentality
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2022, 09:23:56 AM »
Some thoughts:

**Sean Jones might not be fully ready to be starting PG right now, but Kolek has to be better with the ball. The end of game turnovers were just so very frustrating.

**They have to find a decent back up for the post. If Keeyan isn't ready for that, will he ever be? Ben Gold was overwhelmed in the short time he was in there. And if that's Wrightsil, that may be fine but he needs to get healthy...we will see.

**As for outside shooting, I am not sure David Joplin has the quickness to be consistent at this level. And Kam's shot selection is still a problem.

**Unless someone breaks out soon, a la Justin Lewis last year, I think this is going to be a frustrating season. I like the individual players, and defensively they are fine, but I am not sure offensively they just have too many weaknesses.

While the season has a long way to go, you have to be concerned about Wrightsil. I thought the big step-up in competition and his new role was going to make his transition difficult to begin with. Now with his knee injury, there's a real chance nothing materializes from him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2022, 09:24:29 AM »
I assumed the really grumpy looking one was Lenny.

When they showed the kids in MU swag going crazy, I pictured JB lurking just out of camera range.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2022, 09:26:40 AM »
Bulldogs are fat and lazy
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2022, 09:30:06 AM »
You all really only value one side of the ball huh?

That was a great defensive game. Defense travels, offense will come.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2022, 09:31:10 AM »
We can hope.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2022, 09:31:27 AM »
I assumed the really grumpy looking one was Lenny.

When they showed the kids in MU swag going crazy, I pictured JB lurking just out of camera range.

Naah, JB was on the other side of the arena. With Ms. JB!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2022, 09:33:13 AM »
I hope they were enjoying themselves.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2022, 09:34:31 AM »

I think most appreciate the aggressive defense, but would prefer better offense, and value wins.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2022, 09:35:51 AM »

I remember that phrase being used early last season.  Then the defense stopped traveling, even about the mile and a half east it needed to travel for home games.

Mississippi State was picked to finish 10th in the SEC.  They're, at my very most generous way of describing them, an okay college basketball team.  We lost a home away from home game to them and scored 17 points in the first half.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2022, 09:48:07 AM »
Last night's game is indicative of where the program is currently. Look, we haven't come close to winning an NCAA tournament game in 10 years - the college landscape has changed a lot since then. 

This is not the type of program that competes for conference championships. We don't sweep the DePauls of the world, or any other team for that matter. We're not becoming Villanova, Creighton or Xavier anytime soon.

But what we do have now are 9-10 guys who play their butts off every night. Shaka gets it - no more one-and-dones or high four star players with their eye on turning pro. Instead, we've got a squad that is fun to watch, playing hard, & committed to the team aspect of the game. You're always going to at least be in it against middle-tier SEC or B1G teams playing this way.

We're like a spunky Horizon League team, trying to hit above our weight. You string together a few seasons like this with everyone on the same page, and perhaps a magical Loyola Chicago-type run materializes. Isn't that better than bashing your head against a wall trying to become Villanova? We ain't going to out-talent the better teams in our conference or college basketball. This is the new model.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 09:49:43 AM by DienerTime34 »

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2022, 09:52:58 AM »
Am I the only on that is still somewhat encouraged with what we've seen so far?  I think by the end of the year we're going to be rolling and still have plenty of time to make the tourney.  Two close loses against teams that will be in the tourney.  We've got a young team that is making some poor decisions (Kam shooting from "outer space" for example) that I think will be corrected as the season goes on.  Defense looks solid, effort is tremendous.  We would have won both Purdue and MSU if we changed minor things like the shot selection. 

There's a lot to work on and we will never have a good answer this year for a few items like Oso's backup... but we have what we need to at least be a tourney team again and I'm very excited about where the team is going in the next year or two.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2022, 09:55:31 AM »
I hope they were enjoying themselves.
This has lots of potential
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2022, 09:57:48 AM »
I remember that phrase being used early last season.  Then the defense stopped traveling, even about the mile and a half east it needed to travel for home games.

People shouldn't have said that last season. Our defense wasn't very good compared to this season.

Mississippi State was picked to finish 10th in the SEC.  They're, at my very most generous way of describing them, an okay college basketball team.  We lost a home away from home game to them and scored 17 points in the first half.

If Mississippi State finishes 10th in the SEC I'll eat my hat. If you really think that they're just an okay team then you either have a very liberal definition of okay or you really do only value one side of the ball. That's a top 20 defense easy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2022, 10:03:26 AM »
People shouldn't have said that last season. Our defense wasn't very good compared to this season.

If Mississippi State finishes 10th in the SEC I'll eat my hat. If you really think that they're just an okay team then you either have a very liberal definition of okay or you really do only value one side of the ball. That's a top 20 defense easy.
People like scoring
Goal is National Championship

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2022, 10:12:59 AM »

We have to double any competent big, and have been fortunate that our opponents are missing a lot of open shots when they pass out of it. MSU looked pathetic on offense and we still lost. Better offensive teams will make us pay on all those open looks.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2022, 10:14:36 AM »
Some thoughts:

**Sean Jones might not be fully ready to be starting PG right now, but Kolek has to be better with the ball. The end of game turnovers were just so very frustrating.

Sean Jones had some really nice drives and finishes, but in 13 minutes, he had 0 assists (to his credit, 0 TO's as well).  If you want a Markus Howard type running your offense, or BEING your offense, stick SJ in there right now.

But if you want someone to run the offense, distribute the ball and get everyone involved, TK is the guy.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2022, 10:15:19 AM »
Am I the only on that is still somewhat encouraged with what we've seen so far?  I think by the end of the year we're going to be rolling and still have plenty of time to make the tourney.  Two close loses against teams that will be in the tourney.  We've got a young team that is making some poor decisions (Kam shooting from "outer space" for example) that I think will be corrected as the season goes on.  Defense looks solid, effort is tremendous.  We would have won both Purdue and MSU if we changed minor things like the shot selection. 

There's a lot to work on and we will never have a good answer this year for a few items like Oso's backup... but we have what we need to at least be a tourney team again and I'm very excited about where the team is going in the next year or two.

Probably. I love this team and enjoy rooting for them, they just are missing something...and that something seems big.

I picked them to go 16-15 this year and that was with a 9-11 Big East Record.  I think 9-11 in the Big East is a stretch to be honest.  There is a chance they could finish under .500 and that would be eye opening.
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2022, 10:44:53 AM »

There are teams that are top 20 defensively and miss the NCAA Tournament every season (which would be roughly 10th in the SEC, since they'll get 8 or 9 bids).  And we'll see where they end up defensively.  They've played Marquette and 4 cupcakes.  I don't see them holding many SEC teams to 17 points in a half.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2022, 10:46:23 AM »
Probably. I love this team and enjoy rooting for them, they just are missing something...and that something seems big.

I picked them to go 16-15 this year and that was with a 9-11 Big East Record.  I think 9-11 in the Big East is a stretch to be honest.  There is a chance they could finish under .500 and that would be eye opening.

9-11 would be under .500.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2022, 10:58:04 AM »
9-11 would be under .500.

I'm talking overall record.

Baylor is a loss. Wisconsin is probably a loss.

Notre Dame and Georgia Tech are coinflips. If they lose either of those 2, they are 6-5 nonconference at best.

(6-5)(9-11) is a 15-16 sub .500 record.
VIOLENCE!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2022, 11:07:55 AM »
I'm talking overall record.

Baylor is a loss. Wisconsin is probably a loss.

Notre Dame and Georgia Tech are coinflips. If they lose either of those 2, they are 6-5 nonconference at best.

(6-5)(9-11) is a 15-16 sub .500 record.

I picked 18-14. Still don't feel terrible about it. Some of these big east teams are just worse than us.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2022, 11:10:55 AM »
Winning 20 games/years and/or going .500 is only indicative of the schedule you're playing.  Shaka is not afraid to challenge the team, schedule some big dogs, and get bit once in a while.  I'll take the risk of a loss to a power conference team over the a lock-win buy game Directional Michigan U.  Now they've seen physical defense and rebounding.  The UW game won't be a total shock to the system. Learn, grow, and improve.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2022, 11:16:09 AM »
Winning 20 games/years and/or going .500 is only indicative of the schedule you're playing.  Shaka is not afraid to challenge the team, schedule some big dogs, and get bit once in a while.  I'll take the risk of a loss to a power conference team over the a lock-win buy game Directional Michigan U.  Now they've seen physical defense and rebounding.  The UW game won't be a total shock to the system. Learn, grow, and improve.

They had a chance to grow from Tuesday where they failed to hold a lead late on the road.

Now they failed to hold a lead late with a pro-Marquette crowd on a neutral court.

Nothing makes me confident they will hold a lead at home against a team that traditionally doesn't make mistakes.

A win last night would have meant 5-1 because Utah is terrible. Now with the loss they will have to scratch and claw just to hopefully avoid 3-3. They better find a better way to grow!
VIOLENCE!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2022, 11:35:47 AM »
It's a little early to worry about post season hopes when you still have a 20 game BE slate in front of you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2022, 11:42:30 AM »
It's a little early to worry about post season hopes when you still have a 20 game BE slate in front of you.

A down Big East with a down Marquette (at least compared to last year).  This has become the norm for Marquette Hoops though.  We ain't who we once was.
VIOLENCE!