[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bulldog mentality  (Read 10353 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Bulldog mentality
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2022, 10:02:55 PM »
Think S Jones needs to be the PG and kolek off guard.

No, just the opposite is true.
No matter how much people here wish it to be so, Kolek is not an off the ball player.
And nothing we've seen from Jones indicates he can distribute and run an offe se.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2022, 10:03:11 PM »
Kolek had the inverse of his usual game - he was a nonfactor as a passer and careless with the ball, but shot it well.  Maddening, yet encouraging because we know he's a great passer, and tonights shooting could jump start him for the rest of the year.

Frustrating loss for sure, but an absolute slugfest of a game.  Big night for Sean Jones and his confidence.  I like this team, and feel we will be an NCAA team.  Our guards can guard.  Kam and Jop will be better offensively.

I think our defense was really good tonight but I'm not sure Miss St. is great offensively.  This loss hurts because the opportunity was right there.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2022, 10:03:53 PM »
Is Wrightsil ever going to play? Is he that bad? We needed a little more size down low and Jop wasn't cutting it at all.

When they signed Wrightsil I thought he’d be able to fill in and provide some experienced depth down low. He’s the shortest 6’7 I’ve ever seen. He’s in the Jose Perez and Harry Froling category.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2022, 10:10:37 PM »
We saw a lot of effective hard work on defense.
We saw poor 3-pt. shooting vs. good D.
There will be nights when the 3-shooters are hot, and that will be good.
The inside game and the opposition's O-rebounding will kill us long term.
This year will be less satisfying than last year.
If we want to make a jump we'll need a big in transfer.
So sick of working our ass off to fall short.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2022, 10:13:50 PM »
Forgot. End-of-game strategy/execution needs to improve to steal a couple. Sick of the late fade.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2022, 10:17:16 PM »
The size mismatch jumped off the screen tonight and really showed in the rebounding numbers. Let’s hope Al Amadou is the truth, otherwise it’s going to be a frustrating next few years for MU.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2022, 10:17:46 PM »
The wide open corner threes in particular are the shots we really need to convert.  And Shaka needs to reign in Kam's bombs frankly. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2022, 10:19:42 PM »
Do you think Shaka will rein in Kam Jones bombs or let him go off all year?

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2022, 10:21:10 PM »
The wide open corner threes in particular are the shots we really need to convert.  And Shaka needs to reign in Kam's bombs frankly.

Problem is, Muggs, who shoots instead?

Tyler opened it up tonight, big surprise.

Sean opened it up driving to the hoop, as did Kam, he even shot a free throw!

Marquette still lost though.

Shoot like crap from 3 when you take a lot of 3s and you lose, fairly simple

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2022, 10:22:08 PM »
There are legit concerns but also a lot of hyperbole and overreaction here.

However, it does look like Shaka not bringing in another legitimate big might be a big mistake.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2022, 10:22:16 PM »
You either have to make shots or draw lots of fouls. Marquette did neither.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2022, 10:25:47 PM »
Have to play a complete game.  Faded down the stretch against Purdue, and the 1st half tonight was, well, the first half tonight.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2022, 10:26:56 PM »
Problem is, Muggs, who shoots instead?

Tyler opened it up tonight, big surprise.

Sean opened it up driving to the hoop, as did Kam, he even shot a free throw!

Marquette still lost though.

Shoot like crap from 3 when you take a lot of 3s and you lose, fairly simple

I think all of our guys should have the confidence to take and hopefully make open shots.   Joplin is inconsistent but he didn't get quality looks tonight.  My take is if any of our perimeter guys can get an open catch and shoot it's s better shot that Kam launching early in the shot clock from 35 feet.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2022, 10:28:45 PM »
Triple Arby's day.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2022, 10:28:58 PM »

However, it does look like Shaka not bringing in another legitimate big might be a big mistake.

I really don’t understand how Shaka thought he could get away with Iterjere and Gold as his backup 5s. I get wanting to play small, but you need at least two guys on the roster who can plausibly guard a 6’9 big man.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2022, 10:30:13 PM »
Philosophically I'm more aligned with Shaka than any coach I've watched at Marquette. What they want to do, how they want to play, is what I want to watch. Space, pace, movement, tough-ass defense, threes.

But so far, I have to admit, I'm concerned about how well they're recruiting to that philosophy. Consistently undersized, very few guys who can make plays at that speed, even fewer that can make outside shots consistently.

I hope I look like a jackass for posting this in a few years but it's hard to see where the help is coming from in the near term.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2022, 10:30:44 PM »

No overreaction necessary.

MU lost a tough road game at Purdue closer than they “should have”
Then they lost a neutral game about where they “should have”

They were picked 9th in conference.

As for Shaka- defense looks the part and that’s great.
There is quite a bit of ‘smoke and mirrors’ early imo.
Like Tyler’s passing ability got exposed as the season wore on and teams adjusted.
Like the rebounding being “better” so far this season.

All Marquettes reach equilibrium.

That said, the Zach Wrightsil move will be a tough one for Shaka to overcome.
He saw something, and I don’t care what level you play at when you are PoY you have something, so hopefully Zach brings it during BE play- I’ll go on record as I think he will. I don’t think he will be was shaka hoped or fans hoped, but I still think he brings it.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2022, 10:32:54 PM »
I think all of our guys should have the confidence to take and hopefully make open shots.   Joplin is inconsistent but he didn't get quality looks tonight.  My take is if any of our perimeter guys can get an open catch and shoot it's s better shot that Kam launching early in the shot clock from 35 feet.

Ok I guess getting Jop better looks is a start. Beyond that, we don’t have much of a play if few others are a threat

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2022, 10:36:12 PM »
Kolek needs to be the PG for his passing and floor management. We can’t win with him as the leading scorer.
Agees but we also need Kolek to hit open shots because that keeps defenses honest.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2022, 10:36:58 PM »
I really enjoyed the game. After 7 years of Wojo defense I enjoy being able to hang in a rock fight.

Mississippi State is a very good defensive team. All Jans teams are. One more of those open threes goes down and we win the game.

The defense was very very good. Mississippi state isn't an all-world offensive team by any stretch but we shut them down for long stretches multiple times. We did an excellent job keeping Tulo Smith from scoring....but the rebounding was the down fall today.

I like when Kolek makes his threes. Wish he could do it without back breaking TOs in the final minutes.

I came away encouraged. We're going to win a lot of games in the Big East this season. I think we can beat Bucky and the Domers too. Unfortunately, BEast underperformance in the non-con is going to give us a very narrow path to dancing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2022, 10:38:26 PM »
Do you think Shaka will rein in Kam Jones bombs or let him go off all year?
I do not know what Shaka thinks, but I would start Sean Jones over Kam Jones.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2022, 10:40:48 PM »
I really enjoyed the game. After 7 years of Wojo defense I enjoy being able to hang in a rock fight.

Mississippi State is a very good defensive team. All Jans teams are. One more of those open threes goes down and we win the game.

The defense was very very good. Mississippi state isn't an all-world offensive team by any stretch but we shut them down for long stretches multiple times. We did an excellent job keeping Tulo Smith from scoring....but the rebounding was the down fall today.

I like when Kolek makes his threes. Wish he could do it without back breaking TOs in the final minutes.

I came away encouraged. We're going to win a lot of games in the Big East this season. I think we can beat Bucky and the Domers too. Unfortunately, BEast underperformance in the non-con is going to give us a very narrow path to dancing.

Well said.

I felt much of the same.

Unfortunately it’s going to take a lot of wins to dance. Let’s start with wins on Wednesday and over Wisconsin and ND to give MU an extra loss or two in conf to work with.

Otherwise it’ll take 10/11 conf wins to dance I’d imagine

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2022, 10:44:48 PM »
Philosophically I'm more aligned with Shaka than any coach I've watched at Marquette. What they want to do, how they want to play, is what I want to watch. Space, pace, movement, tough-ass defense, threes.

But so far, I have to admit, I'm concerned about how well they're recruiting to that philosophy. Consistently undersized, very few guys who can make plays at that speed, even fewer that can make outside shots consistently.

I hope I look like a jackass for posting this in a few years but it's hard to see where the help is coming from in the near term.

Fair points.  If we do not have guys that can make plays and open shots it's very tough sledding.. It's the WIDE OPEN misses that can really drive me up the wall. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2022, 10:47:36 PM »
Is Wrightsil ever going to play? Is he that bad? We needed a little more size down low and Jop wasn't cutting it at all.

Have you watched him? 

Yeah, he is really that bad. 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2022, 10:48:53 PM »
When they signed Wrightsil I thought he’d be able to fill in and provide some experienced depth down low. He’s the shortest 6’7 I’ve ever seen. He’s in the Jose Perez and Harry Froling category.

I felt the same. I didn't expect a lot but with his experienced and a little size I was hoping he would be helping out under the basket.