[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread  (Read 232806 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread
« Reply #2975 on: March 02, 2023, 09:34:30 PM »
Purdue isnt a real title threat IMO.

Seeing the season age and they just aren't that good.

Edey and a lot of nothing else.

Luckily for them the Big Ten isn't good either.
Yes….Purdue looks very bad.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2976 on: March 02, 2023, 09:41:33 PM »
Based on the comments here I thought I’d check the score and Purdue would be down 15+. Instead I see they’re winning on the road against a team that beat us wire to wire at our place with their best player missing half the game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2977 on: March 02, 2023, 09:45:16 PM »
Based on the comments here I thought I’d check the score and Purdue would be down 15+. Instead I see they’re winning on the road against a team that beat us wire to wire at our place with their best player missing half the game.

Wade,

That game was about 3 months ago and Hepburn played out of his ass.  The fact is Purdue has been mediocre for about a month and Edey isn't getting any help at all from the rest of his team or Painter. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2978 on: March 02, 2023, 10:45:46 PM »
Wade,

That game was about 3 months ago and Hepburn played out of his ass.  The fact is Purdue has been mediocre for about a month and Edey isn't getting any help at all from the rest of his team or Painter.

Hepburn only played half the game.

Agree with the Purdue portion of your post.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2979 on: March 03, 2023, 07:51:24 AM »
Hepburn only played half the game.

Agree with the Purdue portion of your post.

If by only half the game you mean 26 minutes
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2980 on: March 03, 2023, 08:05:34 AM »

Well, that is six minutes below his average.  ::)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2981 on: March 03, 2023, 08:07:36 AM »
Wade,

Not sure what you meant regarding getting no help from Painter, but Purdue was unimpressive last night. Too bad they did not play like that when we were in W. Lafayette.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2982 on: March 03, 2023, 08:15:49 AM »
We all know that if Antoine Davis would have broken the scoring record last night, it would have come with one of the biggest asterisks ever for a sports record. A great accomplishment, to be sure, but with a huge asterisk.

How much more worse will it be if Detroit actually pays $50,000 to participate in the CBI to get Davis another game? Hopefully they won't get the invite...but I suspect that they will.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #2983 on: March 03, 2023, 08:24:57 AM »
We all know that if Antoine Davis would have broken the scoring record last night, it would have come with one of the biggest asterisks ever for a sports record. A great accomplishment, to be sure, but with a huge asterisk.

How much more worse will it be if Detroit actually pays $50,000 to participate in the CBI to get Davis another game? Hopefully they won't get the invite...but I suspect that they will.

I watched the last 10 minutes of the game and came away really unimpressed. That just seemed like such a garbage team where one player just chucked shots. Detroit was pretty terrible in his 5 years there so it wasn’t a winning formula anyway. I’d think they’d just want to end the season and move forward. They will be better off.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2984 on: March 03, 2023, 08:28:23 AM »

I think CBI has already announced their intentions to do this.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2985 on: March 03, 2023, 08:58:43 AM »
I’d think they’d just want to end the season and move forward. They will be better off.

You'd think. But I can't see a kid (and his father/coach) walking away from the chance to be the NCAA D1 all-time leading scorer. I just can't imagine that will happen. And I can't imagine the CBI is going to walk away from the unprecedented opportunity to actually have press coverage of one its games. I suspect Detroit will get the invite and they'll play. Honestly, he'd be crazy not to. I would think that over the course of his lifetime being the all-time D1 points leader would generate more income than the $50k that it will cost to play.

I think CBI has already announced their intentions to do this.

I hadn't seen that, but obviously, I'm not surprised.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2986 on: March 03, 2023, 09:30:30 AM »
I think Bruce Pearl was unhappy with the officiating if his game.   Fun little post game interview.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #2987 on: March 03, 2023, 10:02:20 AM »
I watched the last 10 minutes of the game and came away really unimpressed. That just seemed like such a garbage team where one player just chucked shots. Detroit was pretty terrible in his 5 years there so it wasn’t a winning formula anyway. I’d think they’d just want to end the season and move forward. They will be better off.

To be fair, Pistol Pete averaged over 38 field goal attempts per game and shot about 44% during his college career.  We'd probably consider him a chucker. 

Unless someone beats his record in a three-season period, there's always going to be at least a hypothetical asterisk on the record.  I say let Davis have his moment in the CBI.  Detroit Mercy will be moving on from him either way. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2988 on: March 03, 2023, 10:09:25 AM »

Outside of their NIT run where Marquette beat them in the Garden, LSU wasn't very good when Maravich was around too.

To be fair, Pistol Pete averaged over 38 field goal attempts per game and shot about 44% during his college career.  We'd probably consider him a chucker.

Probably? We have Scoopers who call Marquette's all time leading scorer a chucker and the most he averaged was just over 19 shots a game.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2989 on: March 03, 2023, 10:45:13 AM »

Unless someone beats his record in a three-season period, there's always going to be at least a hypothetical asterisk on the record.  I say let Davis have his moment in the CBI.  Detroit Mercy will be moving on from him either way.

And to be fair, Pistol got his record without ever making a single three point bucket.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2990 on: March 03, 2023, 11:50:22 AM »

He absolutely was a chucker, but he did it with such flair that he was fun to watch.

Knee injuries hampered his pro career, but he earned his spot as a basketball hall of famer.

Another thing to remember about his college career is that there was no shot clock so teams that were so inclined could slow the game down and limit possessions. I don't think a shot clock would have affected LSU's offense much.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2991 on: March 03, 2023, 12:33:08 PM »
Purdue doesn't look like the same team that they were earlier in the season.

I wonder how much is not being the same team and how much is overvaluing what they did early. They blasted Duke & Gonzaga in Portland, but neither of those have looked like the top-10 teams they were then for most of this year. They did great in the B10, but that's a very middle heavy league. In league play, the only projected single digit seeds they've beaten are Maryland and Iowa, both at home. They're good, but maybe great was always an overapproximation.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #2992 on: March 03, 2023, 12:41:48 PM »
I wonder how much is not being the same team and how much is overvaluing what they did early. They blasted Duke & Gonzaga in Portland, but neither of those have looked like the top-10 teams they were then for most of this year. They did great in the B10, but that's a very middle heavy league. In league play, the only projected single digit seeds they've beaten are Maryland and Iowa, both at home. They're good, but maybe great was always an overapproximation.

Starting to look more and more like Marquette let a game slip away that they really SHOULD have won.

Oh well!
VIOLENCE!

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #2993 on: March 03, 2023, 12:56:56 PM »
And to be fair, Pistol got his record without ever making a single three point bucket.

Right....I think I heard on a broadcast last night that they went back and analyzed his shot distance and he would've average like 13 3's a game.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2994 on: March 03, 2023, 12:57:40 PM »

21/40 in regulation is what I was referring to. A bit more since the game went to OT.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2995 on: March 03, 2023, 01:29:15 PM »
Starting to look more and more like Marquette let a game slip away that they really SHOULD have won.

Oh well!

Not really.  If you look at the win probability, it had Marquette with over a 50% chance for just 7 and a half minutes of the game.  Purdue had over a 50% chance to win the game for 32 and a half minutes.  Both teams' largest lead was 9.  Purdue shot better from the field, from 3, turned it over less, and made more free throws than Marquette attempted.  We were on the road against a team that, even after they look "awful" (if you read Scoop) is still ranked 6 in KenPom, 5th in Torvik, and 5th in NET, higher than Marquette in all 3.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #2996 on: March 03, 2023, 02:45:59 PM »
Not really.  If you look at the win probability, it had Marquette with over a 50% chance for just 7 and a half minutes of the game.  Purdue had over a 50% chance to win the game for 32 and a half minutes.  Both teams' largest lead was 9.  Purdue shot better from the field, from 3, turned it over less, and made more free throws than Marquette attempted.  We were on the road against a team that, even after they look "awful" (if you read Scoop) is still ranked 6 in KenPom, 5th in Torvik, and 5th in NET, higher than Marquette in all 3.

Agreed - their freshman are wearing down, which is why they aren’t the same team as when we played them earlier in the season.  The only thing I wish we had done differently was use more full court pressure, as they have shown they are not good at dealing with it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2997 on: March 03, 2023, 02:56:16 PM »
Careful.  Saying that freshmen are wearing down is admitting Dodds might be right about something.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #2998 on: March 03, 2023, 03:00:54 PM »

Then again, Pistol Pete played in a segregated SEC, so we could probably throw an asterisk on his record, too. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2999 on: March 03, 2023, 03:12:43 PM »
Then again, Pistol Pete played in a segregated SEC, so we could probably throw an asterisk on his record, too.
I would agree.

Then again, Pistol Pete played prior to the three point shot, so we could probably take the asterisk off he record too.