[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread  (Read 218086 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread
« Reply #2125 on: February 05, 2023, 08:08:21 AM »
I don't blame coaches for wanting to "move up," but there is something nice about the guys who realize they already have everything they need where they are and whose egos don't need to prove anything to anybody by going elsewhere.

Bennett and McKillop are great examples, as was Jay Wright, who easily could have gone to a blueblood or the NBA and nobody would have blamed him. Same with Mark Few, who had numerous offers (but not many in recent years, as he turned Gonzaga into a "destination" job).

Guys like these are content where they are, they make plenty of money, they can win a lot, and they don't face the same kind of pressure that blueblood coaches do.

Most of us are hoping we have our Mark Few/Jay Wright right here at Marquette -- a guy who can be content winning big and making good coin at a place he loves without feeling he has to reach for something else. It probably helps that Shaka already reached for that job and ultimately realized it didn't fit him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2126 on: February 05, 2023, 08:16:19 AM »
I don't blame coaches for wanting to "move up," but there is something nice about the guys who realize they already have everything they need where they are and whose egos don't need to prove anything to anybody by going elsewhere.

Bennett and McKillop are great examples, as was Jay Wright, who easily could have gone to a blueblood or the NBA and nobody would have blamed him. Same with Mark Few, who had numerous offers (but not many in recent years, as he turned Gonzaga into a "destination" job).

Guys like these are content where they are, they make plenty of money, they can win a lot, and they don't face the same kind of pressure that blueblood coaches do.

Most of us are hoping we have our Mark Few/Jay Wright right here at Marquette -- a guy who can be content winning big and making good coin at a place he loves without feeling he has to reach for something else. It probably helps that Shaka already reached for that job and ultimately realized it didn't fit him.

Thank you for expanding on coaches who have been happy to stay right where they are. As others have said, If Shaka had not gone to UT before coming to MU, we may have had him earlier but then lost him. Let's hope he is a lifer or at least a long-timer, whatever that means.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2127 on: February 05, 2023, 08:17:44 AM »

I was talking about this with my daughter yesterday, and we agreed that it might turn out that the best thing that happened to MU is for Smart to have taken that Texas job before coming.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2128 on: February 05, 2023, 08:18:25 AM »
Apparently Colorado State University has an inordinately stupid student body.

I had missed that story. Complete lack of class by those students
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2129 on: February 05, 2023, 08:31:32 AM »
It doesn’t rise to the same level as the CSU incident, but I wish the MU students could come up with a chant more positive than “FU Butler”.

MU is blowing a lead in crunch time and that’s what they come up with (and not for the first time).?

How about a more supportive chant for your own team? A simple “Lets Go Marquette” would be more appropriate.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #2130 on: February 05, 2023, 08:41:51 AM »
ESPN has jumped the shark.  There are 6 games today with both teams ranked.  This isn't one of them.

I'd suggest the 4-letter network jumped the shark decades ago.
GO WARRIORS!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2131 on: February 05, 2023, 08:44:08 AM »
It doesn’t rise to the same level as the CSU incident, but I wish the MU students could come up with a chant more positive than “FU Butler”.

MU is blowing a lead in crunch time and that’s what they come up with (and not for the first time).?

How about a more supportive chant for your own team? A simple “Lets Go Marquette” would be more appropriate.

I get your point, but....good luck with that. Maybe it's the Tyler Kolek effect.  ;D  Ok, it's been around for a very long time. I don't think "Let's go, Marquette" will do it, but it would be great if Marquette actually took a proactive marketing approach and got the students to come up with something that works. And where is our band during all of this?

I mentioned in another thread that I founded a small manufacturing company and spent an enormous amount of money on top-level marketing, guided by professionals in the business. It worked! MU needs to tap into our student fans much, much better than they have. I have absolutely no patience for crappy or non-existent marketing. It's too easy to blame the students.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #2132 on: February 05, 2023, 08:46:11 AM »
I'd suggest the 4-letter network jumped the shark decades ago.
I’m not even sure if the S in their name stands for ‘sports’ anymore.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #2133 on: February 05, 2023, 08:51:36 AM »
Excellent point.
GO WARRIORS!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2134 on: February 05, 2023, 08:56:05 AM »

Positive or negative, it's just boring. And it's at pretty much every game against every Big East or high major opponent. I don't imagine it will ever change, but it just feels lazy and unoriginal when we hear "FU Butler / FU Nova / FU UConn / F The Badgers."

But of course, this just makes me the old man shaking his fist at clouds when it comes to student section complaints.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2135 on: February 05, 2023, 08:59:37 AM »

I like the FU chant against Bucky and Notre Dame. I roll my eyes when it's used on other teams. I wish there was something more creative as well
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2136 on: February 05, 2023, 09:23:32 AM »
His stats are pretty damn good but he can't guard anyone  and.......well....has other issues.

Zags defense just isn’t very good and hasn’t gotten better in league play.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2137 on: February 05, 2023, 09:48:40 AM »
Positive or negative, it's just boring. And it's at pretty much every game against every Big East or high major opponent. I don't imagine it will ever change, but it just feels lazy and unoriginal when we hear "FU Butler / FU Nova / FU UConn / F The Badgers."

But of course, this just makes me the old man shaking his fist at clouds when it comes to student section complaints.

It’s unoriginal but largely harmless.  Much like the dumb Overrated chant when you beat a ranked team.

The CSU stuff was far different. Shades of ASU students chanting PLO at Steve Kerr in the 80s after his father was killed.  Cruel, sadistic, and wholly reprehensible

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2138 on: February 05, 2023, 09:52:15 AM »
UNC vs. Duke is still a fun game and always a top billing even when both teams are average.

Headline in Charlotte Observer:

In new era for Duke-UNC rivalry, Jon Scheyer passes first test

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2139 on: February 05, 2023, 09:58:57 AM »

Scheyer passing tests in his first year and Shaka not passing any yet is very concerning
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2140 on: February 05, 2023, 10:00:11 AM »
Scheyer passing tests in his first year and Shaka not passing any yet is very concerning

I'm sure Duke fans are much happier with their results under Scheyer than Marquette fans are the past two years with Smart.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2141 on: February 05, 2023, 10:06:26 AM »

That is cool that the NCAA brought back the BracketBuster games.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2142 on: February 05, 2023, 10:14:30 AM »
The lone game today to feature a ranked team is #3 Houston at Temple -- rematch of the game a couple weeks ago, when Temple went into Houston and pulled off one of the season's big upsets.

Temple has continued to win and is now 14-9. Houston also has won all its games since, albeit failing to cover against meh UCF, Cinci and Wichita State teams.

Houston is an 11.5-point favorite at Temple.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2143 on: February 05, 2023, 10:17:15 AM »
How lame is it for Indiana fans to storm the court because their team won a regular season game in which they were favored by one point?
I am pretty sure college students like to celebrate.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #2144 on: February 05, 2023, 10:43:05 AM »
I'm sure Duke fans are much happier with their results under Scheyer than Marquette fans are the past two years with Smart.

Looking forward to seeing Scheyer fall on his face in the next couple of years after the aura of Duke and coach k wears off.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #2145 on: February 05, 2023, 06:40:26 PM »
Looks like Bucky brought its a-game offensively tonite. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2146 on: February 05, 2023, 06:42:05 PM »
Looks like Bucky brought its a-game offensively tonite.

23 whole points! They’re on 🔥!!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2147 on: February 05, 2023, 07:17:30 PM »
Did you just see that flop by Jordan Davis??  Unreal.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2148 on: February 05, 2023, 07:18:33 PM »
For supposedly smart kids, Northwestern sure plays a lot of dumb basketball.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2149 on: February 05, 2023, 07:20:57 PM »
So does Ohio State drop to a 9 seed?

feedback