[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 469228 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Big East 23-24 Results
« Reply #4850 on: January 27, 2024, 09:06:31 PM »
Blue Jays with Solid win over Blue Demons on Pink Out Day in Omaha.

Seems like the Blue Demons have had a little more energy the last few games coming out of the gate.
Only up 3 at halftime. Took 20 minutes to get going.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

mug644

• All American
« Reply #4852 on: January 27, 2024, 09:36:00 PM »
Blue Jays with Solid win over Blue Demons on Pink Out Day in Omaha.

Seems like the Blue Demons have had a little more energy the last few games coming out of the gate.

Blue, blue! The Stubblefield legacy persists!

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4853 on: January 27, 2024, 09:45:17 PM »
My point is you're grasping at straws with respect to how good Nova is relative to the rest of the teams in our league minus DePaul and Gtown.  They are who they are.  Wildly inconsistent with a coach many think is marginal at best.  And I also heard they blew a comfortable lead at Hinkle.

I don’t think I ever said that Nova is significantly better than the teams in the big pack in the Big East.There are now 8 teams with between 3 and 5 conference losses and some of that difference is a function of who has played more home games and who has had key injuries.

But, if pressed, I would argue that Nova is better than several of the teams in that pack, and ratings like Pomeroy and NET would back that up. They may be wildly (and for their fans, maddeningly) inconsistent, but I think their better games show how dangerous they could be. If MU has to face them on Tuesday with Kam Jones joining Ross and Sean Jones on the injured list, it could be a long night.

I do agree after seeing more of them that they appear to be poorly coached. Their defensive strategy in the first half against MU was laughably incompetent. As was their defense at the end of regulation and the first OT when they allowed uncontested layups in the final seconds to tie the game.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 09:55:38 PM by wisblue »

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4854 on: January 27, 2024, 09:50:23 PM »
Muggsy

Based on a good number of wusblue’s posts, I am not sure he is very bullish on MU and appears bullish on other BE teams. From my perspective, being water boarded by Fluff would be more enjoyable than debating blue.

You are correct that I am less bullish on MU and more bullish on other BE teams than the posters who predicted MU to go 18-2 in the conference and who considered anyone who predicted as many as 5 conference losses to be COLE.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4855 on: January 27, 2024, 09:54:39 PM »
You are correct that I am less bullish on MU and more bullish on other BE teams than the posters who predicted MU to go 18-2 in the conference and who considered anyone who predicted as many as 5 conference losses to be COLE.

That's good on you. You were right.

How bullish were you on MU before last season?

I'm not trying to deride you at all; you consistently make reasonable points, and it's probably good that we have a few less rah-rah posters here. But I'll be real impressed with your prognosticating ability if you went against the grain in November 2022 and said Marquette would challenge for the 2023 Big East title.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4856 on: January 27, 2024, 09:59:50 PM »
That's good on you. You were right.

How bullish were you on MU before last season?

I'm not trying to deride you at all; you consistently make reasonable points, and it's probably good that we have a few less rah-rah posters here. But I'll be real impressed with your prognosticating ability if you went against the grain in November 2022 and said Marquette would challenge for the 2023 Big East title.

I did not expect MU to challenge for the BE title last year, though after seeing them in the OOC games I would not have picked them 9th, and I don’t think most of the league coaches would have either.

Before the season I had very low expectations, but by the time the conference started I thought they had a good shot to make the NCAA tournament with a conference record over .500. Obviously they significantly exceeded those expectations.

I don’t claim to be a great prognosticator, but I do have my opinions and expectations and will express them even if they offend homers. I also think that opinions and expectations can and should change as a season progresses and more evidence becomes available.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 06:36:08 AM by wisblue »

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #4857 on: January 27, 2024, 11:22:58 PM »
There are still two teams at the top (MU, UConn), two at the bottom (Georgetown, DePaul), and seven you could pick out of a hat.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4858 on: January 28, 2024, 12:27:08 AM »
I did not expect MU to challenge for the BE title last year, though after seeing them in the OOC games I would not have picked them 9th, and I don’t think most of the league coaches would have either.

Before the season I had very low expectations, but by the time the conference started I thought they had a good shot to make the NCAA tournament with a conference record over .500. Obviously they significantly exceeded those expectations.

Do you have higher expectations for Nova than you do MU?   Name the teams other than UCONN that you have higher expectations for over Marquette. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4859 on: January 28, 2024, 01:41:23 AM »
Do we just completely neglect that they're 11-9 and not take into account their losses?  And it was mentioned numerous times that they're a different team than they were at the beginning of the year and Moore was out.  As far as the Creighton win in particular that was very similar to our loss vs Butler.   Creighton literally could not make an open shot.  I think it's extremely difficult to argue that they've distinguished themselves from the projected middle of the pack teams in our league.

No? I believe I indicated that they could beat anyone, they can as their wins indicate. I'm not sure qualifying a loss with us as the comparison is the best argument when talking about how we should easily beat them lol. Who of the middle of the pack has equivalent wins in the non con?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4860 on: January 28, 2024, 02:14:33 AM »
No? I believe I indicated that they could beat anyone  can as their wins indicate. I'm not sure qualifying a loss with us as the comparison is the best argument when talking about how we should easily beat them lol. Who of the middle of the pack has equivalent wins in the non con?

Yes, they can beat anyone but also lose to any team 1-9.  The fact that they have better wins in the n-c doesn't mean the other teams can't beat anyone.  Butler beat us in Milwaukee.  Seton Hall and Xavier lost nailbiters to Creighton when Creighton was making shot after shot after shot.  Against Villanova in Omaha Creighton had an atrocious wide open shooting game just like we did vs Butler.  Now maybe Providence has too much to overcome losing Hopkins, but every team in the BEast 1-8 or 9 can beat each other.  Since Nova got that fortunate win in Omaha a month ago there isn't anything they've shown on the court that separates them from the log-jam.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4861 on: January 28, 2024, 05:52:26 AM »
Do you have higher expectations for Nova than you do MU?   Name the teams other than UCONN that you have higher expectations for over Marquette.

You’re really moving the goalposts now aren’t you?

Did I ever say that Nova was better than MU or that I expected them to finish ahead of MU in the conference standings?

But, since you asked, no I don’t have higher expectations for Nova than for MU. I still expect MU to finish a game or two ahead of Nova in the conference standings. If MU can beat Nova on its home court those expectations will change.

Do you think because Nova lost to Penn, Drexel, St. Joseph’s and Butler that MU should have no trouble with them?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 06:14:07 AM by wisblue »

panda

• All American
« Reply #4862 on: January 28, 2024, 06:35:27 AM »
I really think nova needs to pull the plug on Neptune after this year. They can only live off the Jay wright glow for so long and need to capitalize on a bigger name while they still can.

*saying this without any idea of the buyout situation

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4863 on: January 28, 2024, 06:57:50 AM »
No? I believe I indicated that they could beat anyone, they can as their wins indicate. I'm not sure qualifying a loss with us as the comparison is the best argument when talking about how we should easily beat them lol. Who of the middle of the pack has equivalent wins in the non con?

Muggsy still hasn’t recovered from a comment I made before Nova’s first game against MU that Nova has a talented, veteran team that is better than it was in November and December when they took those OOC losses. Somehow he interpreted that as being negative about MU.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4864 on: January 28, 2024, 07:33:35 AM »

I don’t claim to be a great prognosticator, but I do have my opinions and expectations and will express them even if they offend homers. I also think that opinions and expectations can and should change as a season progresses and more evidence becomes available.

I agree with all of that, and I thank you for your honest response.

FWIW (not much), I think we have a very good team this season that is currently reaping a weird kind of reward from the injuries we've suffered. Gold, Joplin and Mitchell, in particular, have made progress, as has Lowery. When Ross and Kam are healthy, we will be deeper and better-suited for March (and hopefully April).

But I'm an glass-half-full kind of guy who tends to have high expectations, so that probably limits my ability to be a great prognosticator, too.

Thanks for the conversation.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 07:35:56 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #4865 on: January 28, 2024, 07:34:09 AM »
Really would be nice if UConn played a Sunday morning dud today…

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4866 on: January 28, 2024, 08:35:26 AM »

FWIW (not much), I think we have a very good team this season that is currently reaping a weird kind of reward from the injuries we've suffered. Gold, Joplin and Mitchell, in particular, have made progress, as has Lowery. When Ross and Kam are healthy, we will be deeper and better-suited for March (and hopefully April).

But I'm an glass-half-full kind of guy who tends to have high expectations, so that probably limits my ability to be a great prognosticator, too.

I agree with the middle paragraph 82.  The players getting more minutes are having to step up their game.  The rotations Shaka has to play with Gold, Joplin and Oso in at the same time are demonstrating a lineup that can rebound and play really good interior defense when needed.  Hell they are even disruptive on the perimeter.  This may not have happened as often with everyone healthy. 

Cant wait for Ross to get back though.  Having that extra athletic lock down defender will be nice when they play UConn twice and  Creighton on the road. 

Hopefully this team is rounding into form.  Just have to keep making threes to keep defenses honest and they should be able to beat anyone. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4867 on: January 28, 2024, 08:39:12 AM »

I think the bolded gets to the heart of the discussion. I do not see blue as either a glass half full/half empty guy (and I do not think you were implying that) and I like reading his posts because I think his opinions are a reality check. He pulls no punches. BAM! Because of this MO, his opinions contribute to discussions.

I pride myself on being a hard-nosed realist in almost all matters, but I confess that my soft spot for Marquette is an exception. Wisblue's posts sometimes are like Leroy Gibbs' dope slaps on older NCIS episodes.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4868 on: January 28, 2024, 09:23:08 AM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4869 on: January 28, 2024, 09:34:00 AM »
You’re really moving the goalposts now aren’t you?

Did I ever say that Nova was better than MU or that I expected them to finish ahead of MU in the conference standings?

But, since you asked, no I don’t have higher expectations for Nova than for MU. I still expect MU to finish a game or two ahead of Nova in the conference standings. If MU can beat Nova on its home court those expectations will change.

Do you think because Nova lost to Penn, Drexel, St. Joseph’s and Butler that MU should have no trouble with them?

No, nor did I ever remotely say that.   They're 11-9 and 9th in our conference.  Maybe they wind up 5th but I don't see anything to suggest they're automatically better than the teams ahead of them.  They also blew a 11 point lead with 4:30 to go yesterday.  We laid an Emu egg against Butler, which sucks.  We have two rotational players out, that also sucks.  That said I  think we're fighting and are more than capable of winding up a 2 or 3 seed. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Goal is National Championship

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4871 on: January 28, 2024, 10:52:27 AM »
Really would be nice if UConn played a Sunday morning dud today…

Like almost all teams that have to work a number of freshmen and transfers into their systems, Xavier has been a work in progress. So, I don’t focus too much on their overall record of 10-9 and the fact that they lost home games against Oakland and Delaware in late November and early December.

I think they have improved a lot since then, as evidenced by playing UConn tough in their first meeting and routing Seton Hall, Butler, and Providence. But, they are inconsistent. In their last two games they were fortunate to come from behind to beat Georgetown at home, then turned around and took Creighton to the wire in Omaha.

I can’t say I’m too confident that the Muskies have what it takes to take down the Huskies today. With Clingan back (he didn’t play in the first meeting) UConn’s defense has been suffocating in their wins over Creighton and Villanova. Maybe they won’t cover the 12 point spread, but I’ll be pretty shocked if they don’t win.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4872 on: January 28, 2024, 11:01:52 AM »
wisblue

There still some time to see how good the BE is and I’m not ready to say this is even a good year for the BE. IMO, UConn and MU are the best two teams, followed by Creighton. At this point, I think SJ is the best of the rest and not a lot behind that.

That said, MU might lose 3-4 more BE games before it is over, but I don’t that is because of a strong BE this season. If I was predicting right now, I think UConn runs away with it and second place ends up with a minimum of 5 losses and probably more. MU shot themselves in the foot with the Butler loss and pick Providence of SH as major hiccups. Good news, they will end up a 3 seed or better.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4873 on: January 28, 2024, 11:08:32 AM »
FS1 just had on their bottom line that Xavier was the only team to UCONN twice last year.  Smh. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4874 on: January 28, 2024, 11:23:41 AM »
Not a good start for XU. 

feedback