[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 469475 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Big East 23-24 Offseason Activity
« Reply #2975 on: July 24, 2023, 10:01:11 PM »
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think Pitino will succeed at St. John's. I think they'll spin their wheels for a few seasons before he retires. Maybe some tourney appearances but no top seeds. Obviously just a prediction but I think St. John's is harder place to win than people think.

Money talks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2976 on: July 24, 2023, 10:21:15 PM »
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think Pitino will succeed at St. John's. I think they'll spin their wheels for a few seasons before he retires. Maybe some tourney appearances but no top seeds. Obviously just a prediction but I think St. John's is harder place to win than people think.

Wouldn’t “some tourney appearances” in the next few years mean success at St John’s?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2977 on: July 24, 2023, 10:34:42 PM »

I thought that too when he was struggling to put a roster together, but now that they look to have high major talent, I think they will win sooner rather than later.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2978 on: July 24, 2023, 10:37:31 PM »
Wouldn’t “some tourney appearances” in the next few years mean success at St John’s?

Not enough to satisfy St. John's fans.

I thought that too when he was struggling to put a roster together, but now that they look to have high major talent, I think they will win sooner rather than later.

We'll see. This is just a gut feeling on my part. I don't think he's the guarantee others seem to
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #2979 on: July 25, 2023, 12:12:53 AM »

The question isn't whether they meet some nebulously defined binary criteria for success. It's "will be be better then the alternative," which is more Mike Anderson or whatever replacement level coach they would've hired if Pitino wasn't on a redemption tour. I guess it boils down to return on investment though. Not sure how that math works out.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2980 on: July 25, 2023, 02:14:44 AM »
The question isn't whether they meet some nebulously defined binary criteria for success. It's "will be be better then the alternative," which is more Mike Anderson or whatever replacement level coach they would've hired if Pitino wasn't on a redemption tour. I guess it boils down to return on investment though. Not sure how that math works out.

I don't think that's how fans or schools measure success. If Pitino isn't getting them high seeds in the NCAAT and/or deep runs in March, they will run him out of town. Doesn't matter what another coach they could have hired would have accomplished.
TAMU

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2981 on: July 25, 2023, 03:49:25 AM »

I agree with you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2982 on: July 25, 2023, 06:46:33 AM »

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #2983 on: July 25, 2023, 07:19:09 AM »
I don't think that's how fans or schools measure success. If Pitino isn't getting them high seeds in the NCAAT and/or deep runs in March, they will run him out of town. Doesn't matter what another coach they could have hired would have accomplished.

I don’t think that’s true in most cases. Look at PC and Ed Cooley. That guy used to walk on water in Providence and he never made any deep tourney runs. He just brought the program back to relevancy and wasn’t Keno Davis.

I think Rick can do the same and SJU fans will be ecstatic that they aren’t a laughingstock anymore. But I actually think he’s actually going to build a behemoth that will be a problem for the next 5 years until he retires. In four months he’s already put together SJU’s best roster in 25 years.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2984 on: July 25, 2023, 08:22:47 AM »

The guy is 70 years old...I doubt there is even time for your scenario to play out.  Who knows how long he wants to do this, but I would be shocked if its 5 years regardless of results.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2985 on: July 25, 2023, 12:43:15 PM »

In the last 20 years St John’s overall record (including cupcakes) is 17 games UNDER .500. They’ve made the NCAA tournament 3 times and won zero games in it. Given that, anyone (fan or otherwise) who measures success as high tournament seeds and deep runs is either being unfair or delusional. I expect a marked improvement in the product which (imo) equals success. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2986 on: July 25, 2023, 12:48:18 PM »
In the last 20 years St John’s overall record (including cupcakes) is 17 games UNDER .500. They’ve made the NCAA tournament 3 times and won zero games in it. Given that, anyone (fan or otherwise) who measures success as high tournament seeds and deep runs is either being unfair or delusional. I expect a marked improvement in the product which (imo) equals success. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

I don't disagree with you but I don't think that's what most have in mind for Pitino. The impression I've gotten is that many expect that he will have them at the top of the Big East within a year or two.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2987 on: July 25, 2023, 12:59:00 PM »
The key for Johnnies success is a coach who can capture the vibe of the city and sell that to recruits.

Steve Lavin did a good job recruiting but got booted which was a mistake

It took Mullin a few years to get momentum, he eventually did his last year with some talent on the roster. Unfortunately he lost his enthusiasm and quit

Anderson was never in sync with the city

Pitino will have frequent appearances on the back page of The Post and will generate excitement . I think he is pushing to have move more games back to The Garden which will help

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2988 on: July 25, 2023, 01:16:07 PM »

IDK about that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2989 on: July 25, 2023, 01:32:40 PM »
I don't disagree with you but I don't think that's what most have in mind for Pitino. The impression I've gotten is that many expect that he will have them at the top of the Big East within a year or two.

He might, but getting them to UCONN or MU status is an awfully big ask. Middle of the conference, 6-10 seed in the tournament would constitute success imo. So basically we’re in agreement.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2990 on: July 25, 2023, 02:04:47 PM »

New York sports fans aren't exactly the most rational sports fans out there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2991 on: July 25, 2023, 02:13:07 PM »
Please list the rational fanbases.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2992 on: July 25, 2023, 02:15:48 PM »
Please list the rational fanbases.

We're all nuts, but I do have to say that the MU twitter contingent is pretty solid in that regard. A lot of reasonable basketball people in that group.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2993 on: July 25, 2023, 03:54:32 PM »
Shaka got MU back to low MU standards in Year 1.  Even higher in Year 2. 

Slick Rick will get SJU back quickly.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #2994 on: July 26, 2023, 07:39:38 AM »
The key for Johnnies success is a coach who can capture the vibe of the city and sell that to recruits.

It took Mullin a few years to get momentum, he eventually did his last year with some talent on the roster. Unfortunately he lost his enthusiasm and quit

Anderson was never in sync with the city

Some teams sell its city relationship better than others. DePaul and St. John's have more city ties. Georgetown and Villanova, less so.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2995 on: July 26, 2023, 10:19:27 AM »
Fellow New Yorkers will remember this ad campaign:

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #2996 on: July 26, 2023, 12:42:29 PM »
Norlander referred to “The Brand Former Known as Syracuse” when discussing Maui on the Eye on College Bball podcast, and I almost lost it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2997 on: July 27, 2023, 11:20:14 AM »
English Enterprises with a European Trip This year. Should help their cause.

https://twitter.com/PCFriarsmbb/status/1684578046165360643/photo/1
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2998 on: July 27, 2023, 11:22:47 AM »
We're all nuts, but I do have to say that the MU twitter contingent is pretty solid in that regard. A lot of reasonable basketball people in that group.

Unless you are a CBS writer.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2999 on: July 27, 2023, 12:39:49 PM »

You serious, Clark?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.