Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results  (Read 429492 times)

1SE

• All American
Re: Big East Regular Season, BET and NCAA Results 22-23
« Reply #2625 on: March 20, 2023, 05:07:14 AM »
Brutal we're not there, but BE leads in S16 representation and winning pct. by conference so far. Not that it matter much, but nice validation for our BE titles.

Hopefully we get at least 2 (if not all 3) to the E8.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2627 on: March 23, 2023, 07:24:25 PM »
U Conn pounding The Hogs.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2628 on: March 23, 2023, 10:44:46 PM »
X and Creighton need to show up Friday and play strong. If both win that will be huge for The Big East.
                       ---Al McGuire

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #2629 on: March 23, 2023, 11:29:52 PM »
X and Creighton need to show up Friday and play strong. If both win that will be huge for The Big East.

I would be heavily surprised if Xavier won...they just aren't that good without Freemantle.

I would be even more surprised if Creighton lost.  They should cruise.
VIOLENCE!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2630 on: March 23, 2023, 11:31:39 PM »
Agreed….would be great. LFG BEAST

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2631 on: March 24, 2023, 06:53:48 AM »
I would be heavily surprised if Xavier won...they just aren't that good without Freemantle.

Boum has not olayed his best lately. X will need a big game from Souley.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2632 on: March 24, 2023, 07:03:31 AM »

What?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #2633 on: March 24, 2023, 08:27:20 AM »

Texas is very tough, so I would definitely not call X favorites. That said, they are arguably (and statistically) better without Freemantle, though vulnerable given the depth shortage. The improvement on defense as a team has been substantial, and Claude and Hunter have made significant strides offensively. Fatigue hurt them in the BET Championship, but with the NCAA tourney schedule riding with seven is very doable. In X's case, it may be more of 6.5 because Edwards is a sizable drop off. The TX guards may be able to exploit Boum and Kunkel defensively, which I suspect will be the difference in the game unless X has a hot shooting night. Boum is due.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2634 on: March 24, 2023, 08:38:15 AM »
UConn on the court, all is well.  Off the court UConn cant get a break in Vegas.  After the dirty rooms issue no this.

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/article/ncaa-tournament-las-vegas-connecticut-bus-theft-17857039.php?utm_campaign=nhregister_breakingnews_20230324&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

UConn men's basketball team has personal items stolen from bus while practicing for NCAA Tournament
Mike Anthony
March 24, 2023
Updated: March 24, 2023 8:48 a.m.

LAS VEGAS — Before the UConn men’s basketball team used the visible portion of its workweek Thursday night to show that it can and maybe should win a national championship with the way it demolished Arkansas in the Sweet 16, the Huskies found themselves uniquely challenged in trying to settle into NCAA Tournament life on and off the Vegas Strip.

Players and coaches did not figure on having to contact local police regarding the theft of numerous personal belongings from the team bus, for example.

Already on Tuesday the Huskies had checked into one hotel only to find room conditions it considered deplorable, and worked toward finding another. As that process played out over the afternoon hours, the team practiced at the Thomas & Mack Center on the University of Nevada, Las Vegas campus.

There, several items were stolen off the bus as the Huskies were inside, according to several players, athletic director David Benedict and coach Dan Hurley. A police report was filed, players and Benedict said. The report and further details from police were not immediately available Thursday night.

More for you
How UConn's Adama Sanogo fasted for Ramadan and still dominated

“Disaster,” Hurley said after the Huskies swept past the Razorbacks like a desert wind storm, 88-65, to move into an Elite Eight game Saturday against Gonzaga. “Then stuff gets stolen. It was a debacle. Obviously when you play at UConn, you have tremendous resources. The way we travel gives us a chance to pursue championships. It wasn’t what you expected when you got to Las Vegas for the Sweet 16. We didn’t know there would be police reports from day one. We didn’t know we’d be moving with our tails between our legs back into the hotel just to get our bags and leave. It was an awkward situation. But now we’re in a much better place.”

In total, Benedict said, a handful of UConn players were theft victims. Freshman center Donovan Clingan was among them.

“My iPad,” Clingan said. “A manager had his laptop stolen. I had to go buy a new [iPad]. We were practicing at UNLV and my backpack was on the bus. I remember leaving my backpack on the bus, on the seat. I came back, it’s opened up. They didn’t take my Beats [headphones]. They didn’t take my laptop. But my iPad was gone.”

Clingan said he used an app on his phone to track the iPad’s location.

“And there it was, like three miles away,” he said, shaking his head in a UConn locker room, all around him another round of happy basketball conversations taking place. “The only way to turn this week around is to win two games.”

One down.

UConn looked like 1985 Georgetown or 1991 UNLV or, heck, 2004 UConn on Thursday. Adama Sanogo and Jordan Hawkins were today’s version of Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon. The Huskies built a 29-point lead, playing nearly perfect basketball, to move within one victory of the Final Four.

Essentially displaced, then ripped off, they owned the T-Mobile court. The played as an immovable force, suffocating the Razorbacks, who had knocked off top-seeded Kansas in the second round. They rebounded and moved the ball so precisely through all nine options in the rotation, the team’s depth applying the final spin to some narratives or concerns.

Remember in another lifetime, or a week-plus ago, when it was easy to wonder if UConn, given its recent NCAA shortcomings, would get by Rick Pitino and Iona in the first round? How quickly everything has changed with three emphatic victories.

Remember the midseason struggles when this team talked about identity but lost six of eight games while searching for it? The Huskies didn’t need a travel agent or a cop to find it.

Remember when it was fair to wonder if Dan Hurley could win a close game? Well, he hasn’t had to because his team is apparently wired so properly to meet this moment. UConn has planned and executed at an elite level and three opponents have been cast aside as if they were playing a different sport in the decisive moments, which came immediately on Thursday. Arkansas had no chance.

“I just feel like this group, I’ll be honest, had a look about us before we even got to this tournament,” senior guard Nahiem Alleyne said. “We had a devastating loss in the Big East Tournament to Marquette. That really hurt us because we knew we had them, we knew we had that. Coming in, we just had to worry about the little details that would help us win. We’ve done a really good job during all the games.”

UConn, despite what it went through upon arrival, hasn’t looked this ready for a task in years. And they've been better with each passing game.

The Huskies had gotten off to slow starts against Iona and St. Mary's. They wasted no time Thursday. Hawkins, whose first-half struggles had been particularly glaring, had 24 points, 10 before halftime.

“I could see in practice, this guy was going to go off,” Sanogo said. 

Sanogo himself is going off. He had 18 points, making 9 of 11 shots, and is now 33-for-44 in the tournament. Alex Karaban was 5-for-5 and had 11 points, one of nine players to score. UConn shot 57.4 percent and had 22 assists.

Long stretches of this game were a show. It was 46-29 at halftime. Arkansas coach Eric Musselman spent a lot of time with his hands on his hips, seemingly perplexed. A Karaban 3-pointer made it 53-31. An Alleyne 3 made it 56-33. A 3 by Hawkins, followed by his making three consecutive free throws because he was fouled on another attempt, made it 62-33 and it was all over.

There was more than 15 minutes remaining. Even a 10-0 Arkansas spurt did nothing to affect the vibe. Hawkins hit a 3, then Alleyne hit another.

“The inside, the outside, and the rebounding dominance,” Hurley said. “Really where we are right now is exactly where we talked about where we would be when we got together.”

By this time last year, the season was over and a rebuilding project had begun.

This is the result. The team is so good.

Hurley mentioned several years ago that, “It’s coming.” It’s here. The program is so solid, first-round losses in 2021 and 2022 just footnotes, if that. 

“I apologized to them for not having enough around them in that New Mexico State game in terms of enough shooting and enough different ways to open up things for them, and that I'm going to build a roster around you,” Hurley said of talking to returning core players. “You're going to have enough help around you, both through Donovan and Karaban coming in, and then some strategic additions via transfer that we will not be back in this position feeling like we do again next March.”

UConn is comfortable now. What a week this is becoming, no matter how it started.

“The stuff stolen off the bus, we’re still trying to get to the bottom of it,” said graduate guard Joey Calcaterra, who was not among the victims. “I just feel bad for the guys who had some stuff taken.”

Clingan’s iPad and the manager’s laptop were said to be the most valuable items. Some hats and other such items were stolen, too.

But UConn players could go to sleep Thursday night — in their new, sufficient hotel — knowing that the team is getting, so far, all it wanted out of this trip. The Huskies are playing their best basketball heading into the biggest game in recent program history.

“I think we played good but I think we can definitely do better,” Sanogo said. “I think we can play better than this.”

Already, they’re playing at the level that national champions do.

“When we start clicking, we’re really clicking,” Calcaterra said. “We don’t get too up, don’t get too down. We still have a lot of work to do. The coaches have been killing the scouts and it’s just a locked in group. So we’re not going to get too high on this one. We’re just focused on the Elite Eight now. I feel one coming where we can say that was truly our best 40.”

Written By
Mike Anthony
Reach Mike on
Mike Anthony is a reporter with Hearst Connecticut Media Group, focusing on feature writing with a concentration on UConn and college sports. He joined Hearst in February 2021 after 21 years at The Hartford Courant, including three as the lead sports columnist. He has covered all three major UConn sports beats: men's basketball (2005-11), women's basketball (2017-18) and football (2016-18).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2635 on: March 24, 2023, 08:39:28 AM »
ADVERSITY

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #2636 on: March 24, 2023, 08:58:43 AM »
What?

Don't understand? Or don't agree?
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2637 on: March 24, 2023, 09:17:27 AM »
Don't understand? Or don't agree?

Don’t agree at all about X being worse without Fremantle.  I think they’ve been better defensively.  Hurts their depth.  Not saying they win tonight but I doubt  it’ll because of no Fremantle
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #2638 on: March 24, 2023, 09:28:43 AM »
Don’t agree at all about X being worse without Fremantle.  I think they’ve been better defensively.  Hurts their depth.  Not saying they win tonight but I doubt  it’ll because of no Fremantle

Their depth has just not been good.  Finished the season 6-3 without Freemantle including a loss to Butler and then were clearly dead against Marquette in the title game at MSG.

Doesn't bode too well for a tournament setting.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2639 on: March 24, 2023, 09:43:10 AM »
Their depth has just not been good.  Finished the season 6-3 without Freemantle including a loss to Butler and then were clearly dead against Marquette in the title game at MSG.

Doesn't bode too well for a tournament setting.

Didn't bode too well for the Big East Tournament setting, where a team has to play 3 straight days.

In the NCAA tournament, X has now had 5 full days off. Then, if they win, they'll get another day off -- and will have played once in a week -- before having to play again.

Having said that, Texas is simply the better team. I don't bet, but if I did the 4-point spread looks pretty inviting.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2640 on: March 24, 2023, 08:16:58 PM »
Creighton with a good opportunity tonight to make Elite 8
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2641 on: March 24, 2023, 10:02:28 PM »
It's been a crazy tournament, but tonight's games involving the 2 Big East teams are going pretty much exactly as they should be going. So far, at least.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2642 on: March 24, 2023, 10:38:17 PM »
Creighton helping The Big East cause with tonights win. Impressed how The Blue Jays battled back this season from the lousy pre-season.

SDSU is going to be a tough physical opponent .

Big East with two teams in Elite 8 is a very good post Jay Wright Nova performance
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2643 on: March 25, 2023, 01:31:18 AM »
U Conn needs to impose its will early on Gonzaga.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2645 on: March 25, 2023, 10:31:43 PM »
Fantastic win for U Conn. This really helps The Big East Cause .

Now Creighton has to hold serve against SDSU
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2647 on: March 26, 2023, 10:35:48 AM »
The last I heard he was a lock for ND.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2648 on: March 26, 2023, 03:38:15 PM »
Unfortunate way to lose for Creighton.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2649 on: March 26, 2023, 03:42:22 PM »
I am sure Creighton scoop is melting down.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.