[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 469607 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Big East Regular Season, BET and NCAA Results 22-23
« Reply #2400 on: March 06, 2023, 07:32:09 AM »
He's having surgery on his foot on Tuesday.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2401 on: March 06, 2023, 08:00:47 AM »
He's having surgery on his foot on Tuesday.
I guess increases the chance Zach may return for his extra year of eligibility (Covid Year) as he will miss out on all pro related activities this spring and summer
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2402 on: March 06, 2023, 08:08:15 AM »
*NM
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 08:09:54 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2404 on: March 06, 2023, 08:27:55 AM »
When is Fremantle supposed to return?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2405 on: March 06, 2023, 08:32:10 AM »
Next season.  If he chooses.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2406 on: March 06, 2023, 08:36:20 AM »
Next season.  If he chooses.

Ah geeze, I thought it was a matter of weeks. Dunno where I got that impression

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2407 on: March 06, 2023, 08:47:58 AM »
Tough break for the young man. I liked his style of play.

Competent scorer that doesn't play defense?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2408 on: March 06, 2023, 08:51:07 AM »
Ah geeze, I thought it was a matter of weeks. Dunno where I got that impression

When he was first injured they said 4-5 weeks which would be a return in time for tournaments.  Yesterday they announced he's having foot surgery so now done for season.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #2409 on: March 06, 2023, 09:09:41 AM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35741915/predictions-all-32-men-college-basketball-2023-conference-tournament-champions

Four ESPN analysts made their conference tournament selections.  None of them picked MU.  F@ck'em.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2410 on: March 06, 2023, 09:38:13 AM »
Competent scorer that doesn't play defense?

Lol.  Talk about underrating a player.  "Competent scorer?"  "Doesn't play defense?"

10th in the Big East in scoring average (0.1 behind Kam and Colby Jones).  And extremely efficient.  I'd say that's a little more than "competent."

We love to praise OMax's defense.  Freemantle's defensive rating is 100.6 (best on Xavier).  OMax's is 104.7.  His defensive rating would be 3rd on Marquette, behind Stevie (100.3) and Chase (100.4).

He was at worst a Second Team All Big East player.  Top 10 in scoring, top 5 in rebounding.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 10:09:27 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2411 on: March 06, 2023, 09:57:12 AM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35741915/predictions-all-32-men-college-basketball-2023-conference-tournament-champions

Four ESPN analysts made their conference tournament selections.  None of them picked MU.  F@ck'em.

Hard to say that those are unreasonable picks.

UConn will be a solid favorite over MU if they meet in the second round and Xavier’s lack of depth might make it hard for them to win 3 days in a row.

Creighton’s depth is suspect too, which is why I would be picking UConn  if I could do it without being branded as a member of COLE.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2412 on: March 06, 2023, 10:03:32 AM »
I made the UConn argument a couple of weeks ago.   Bully ball with depth and a friendly crowd.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2413 on: March 06, 2023, 10:07:49 AM »
I made the UConn argument a couple of weeks ago.   Bully ball with depth and a friendly very loud and obnoxious crowd.

FIFY. Get ready for the Dan Hurley clones.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2414 on: March 06, 2023, 10:14:54 AM »
I made the UConn argument a couple of weeks ago.   Bully ball with depth and a friendly crowd.

So you made an argument for the team that has had the highest metrics in the conference all year long, playing a 2.5 hour drive from their campus (closer than anyone other than Nova and St. John's, who doesn't have fans), the largest alumni base and student enrollment in the conference by a wide margin, to win the BET?  Wow.  Really went out on a limb there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2415 on: March 06, 2023, 10:16:44 AM »
Agreed.  Acknowledging another team is good is normal.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2416 on: March 06, 2023, 10:23:04 AM »
  if I could do it without being branded as a member of COLE.

Blue you should change your name to Nat King Cole

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #2417 on: March 06, 2023, 10:23:51 AM »
So you made an argument for the team that has had the highest metrics in the conference all year long, playing a 2.5 hour drive from their campus (closer than anyone other than Nova and St. John's, who doesn't have fans), the largest alumni base and student enrollment in the conference by a wide margin, to win the BET?  Wow.  Really went out on a limb there.
gotta imagine seton hall is closer, no? Yeah, it for sure is
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2418 on: March 06, 2023, 11:52:54 AM »
If we are lucky enough to scrape by the powerful Johnnies, I just hope that Big East honchos let Marquette take the court for the semifinals - even if we’re destined to lose by 40 to unbeatable UConn.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2419 on: March 06, 2023, 12:26:39 PM »
If we are lucky enough to scrape by the powerful Johnnies, I just hope that Big East honchos let Marquette take the court for the semifinals - even if we’re destined to lose by 40 to unbeatable UConn.

Yep, that's exactly what I and others have been saying.

Marquette will be lucky to beat St. John's and has zero chance against UConn.

::)

Was that you that I saw in the Wizard of Oz singing "If I Only had a Brain"? The original Straw Man.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 12:30:53 PM by wisblue »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2420 on: March 06, 2023, 12:48:48 PM »
Lol.  Talk about underrating a player.  "Competent scorer?"  "Doesn't play defense?"

10th in the Big East in scoring average (0.1 behind Kam and Colby Jones).  And extremely efficient.  I'd say that's a little more than "competent."

We love to praise OMax's defense.  Freemantle's defensive rating is 100.6 (best on Xavier).  OMax's is 104.7.  His defensive rating would be 3rd on Marquette, behind Stevie (100.3) and Chase (100.4).

He was at worst a Second Team All Big East player.  Top 10 in scoring, top 5 in rebounding.

All the more reason defense stats are so hard to quantify, because Freemantle is slow-footed and not nearly the defender O-Max has been. If you sort the season, Xavier's defense was rated #112 on Torvik from the start of the season until January 28th, Freemantle's last game played. Since then, their defense has been ranked #52. Maybe it's coincidence, but maybe it's the slow-footed guy with a reputation as a poor defender being replaced by Jerome Hunter.

And competent means "having the skill to do something successfully." It's not a slight.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2421 on: March 06, 2023, 01:35:40 PM »
Yep, that's exactly what I and others have been saying.

Marquette will be lucky to beat St. John's and has zero chance against UConn.

::)

Was that you that I saw in the Wizard of Oz singing "If I Only had a Brain"? The original Straw Man.

What you and others don't seem to understand is that just because some of us express confidence in a team we have watched grow -- and a team we have watched go 17-3 in the Big East, beating every team (most of them twice) in the process -- it doesn't mean we lack "respect" for opponents.

We are well aware that any team can beat any other, that UConn is very good, that St. John's at MSG is likely more of a test than Butler, etc, etc, etc. You and others have every right to keep repeating that stuff -- this is 'Merica! -- but it doesn't mean we are unaware of it.

I'm an optimist, but I'm also a realist. I think my optimism has been pretty well served this season. I also think that, realistically, the Big East regular-season champion has a heck of a chance to win the Big East tournament and several NCAA tournament games. Saying so doesn't mean I disrespect UConn or Nova or Kansas or Houston.

It's a beautiful week here in Charlotte. Gonna take the grandkids for a walk in a little bit, and then tomorrow gonna hit the links for the first time in 2023. A few Charlotte-area MU fans are gonna get together to watch Thursday's game.

It's great to be alive, and great to be a Warrior (and/or Golden Eagle)!

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2422 on: March 06, 2023, 02:02:39 PM »
What you and others don't seem to understand is that just because some of us express confidence in a team we have watched grow -- and a team we have watched go 17-3 in the Big East, beating every team (most of them twice) in the process -- it doesn't mean we lack "respect" for opponents.

We are well aware that any team can beat any other, that UConn is very good, that St. John's at MSG is likely more of a test than Butler, etc, etc, etc. You and others have every right to keep repeating that stuff -- this is 'Merica! -- but it doesn't mean we are unaware of it.

I'm an optimist, but I'm also a realist. I think my optimism has been pretty well served this season. I also think that, realistically, the Big East regular-season champion has a heck of a chance to win the Big East tournament and several NCAA tournament games. Saying so doesn't mean I disrespect UConn or Nova or Kansas or Houston.

It's a beautiful week here in Charlotte. Gonna take the grandkids for a walk in a little bit, and then tomorrow gonna hit the links for the first time in 2023. A few Charlotte-area MU fans are gonna get together to watch Thursday's game.

It's great to be alive, and great to be a Warrior (and/or Golden Eagle)!

We Are Marquette!

If you understand all that about respecting opponents and recognizing that any team can beat any other, why mock people who come right out and say it? It doesn't mean they aren't enjoying the season and their lives in general. That really comes off as pretty arrogant and condescending. It certainly doesn't add anything to a discussion.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2423 on: March 06, 2023, 02:10:05 PM »
I want 82 challenging my opinion.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2424 on: March 06, 2023, 02:24:59 PM »
All the more reason defense stats are so hard to quantify, because Freemantle is slow-footed and not nearly the defender O-Max has been. If you sort the season, Xavier's defense was rated #112 on Torvik from the start of the season until January 28th, Freemantle's last game played. Since then, their defense has been ranked #52. Maybe it's coincidence, but maybe it's the slow-footed guy with a reputation as a poor defender being replaced by Jerome Hunter.

And competent means "having the skill to do something successfully." It's not a slight.

Fair enough on the competent comment.  I usually use "competent" when describing an athlete in the context of, "not good, but not a liability."  As in, "Unlike Rowsey, Markus Howard was at least a competent defender."

And that's interesting about the defense.  Maybe it's Freemantle going out.  Maybe it was Xavier figuring some things out defensively regardless of Freemantle in or out, kind of like how Marquette's defensive numbers seemed to have turn for the better around the same point in the season without losing (or adding) any players.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter