[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 469648 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: Big East Results 22-23
« Reply #1825 on: February 10, 2023, 11:19:42 PM »
Let the pants pissing over the @Butler game begin.

Xavier February Fade? We'll find out on Wednesday.
VIOLENCE!

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1826 on: February 11, 2023, 12:06:50 AM »
Xavier February Fade? We'll find out on Wednesday.

What if it is February Fade vs February Fade?  Who wins?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1827 on: February 11, 2023, 04:34:49 AM »

Creighton fans.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1828 on: February 11, 2023, 04:58:24 AM »
In fairness I was parroting the announcer, so it may be completely and utterly wrong.

Makes sense, lots of postgame debate on that one. But if the way I read the rule is right, it would seem to indicate you can only block dunks legally from a hoop side position.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1829 on: February 11, 2023, 06:23:06 AM »
The goaltending call we can argue, the severity of the loss for Xavier we cannot.

Next for them is Wednesday at Marquette.

Their schedule after that includes 3 winnable home games and roadies at SH and Providence.

Not easy, but not brutal either.

Creighton gets UConn and MU at home, road game at Providence all in the next 4 before a softer end.

Providence gets Creighton and X at home, UConn on the road. Of note is a road game at StJ tomorrow which could be tricky imo.

Marquette gets @Creighton and @Butler, two softer home games after that game versus X.

This conference is Marquette’s to take, if they can figure out how to get back to the MU we’ve known

Absolutely.  I was not surprised X lost yesterday.  MU has the tools and the team to win the BEast outright and the most favorable schedule.  Period and end of discussion. Let's get our mojo back in a few hours and back on track. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1830 on: February 11, 2023, 06:36:40 AM »
Jay Whitehead versus Cornbread Maxwell play where players were contending the dunk, but minus a Colby Jones hitting the net and hanging on the rim as the ball is in/entering the cylinder. Basket interference on Jones

As 82 says, this is rarely called but should be (like 3 seconds). Anderson didn't take much time to review it other than get the clock right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basket_interference

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1831 on: February 11, 2023, 06:37:52 AM »
Makes sense, lots of postgame debate on that one. But if the way I read the rule is right, it would seem to indicate you can only block dunks legally from a hoop side position.

Here is the rule in question:

"Goaltending occurs when a defensive player touches the ball during a field-goal try and each of the following conditions is met: (Exception: Rule 10-4.1.h)
1. The ball is on its downward flight; and
2. The ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility, while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the cylinder."

If you look at the phrase "flight" as it is used throughout the rulebook, I think the assumption is that it means that the ball has left the hands of the shooter. I am 99% sure that was called basket interference.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1832 on: February 11, 2023, 06:44:21 AM »
Let the pants pissing over the @Butler game begin.

Already began about 2 weeks ago ... although the pissin' could really pick up steam now.

What if every team in the country has a February Fade? Should we just declare every game a tie through 2/28?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1833 on: February 11, 2023, 06:57:10 AM »

"Goaltending occurs when a defensive player touches the ball during a field-goal try and each of the following conditions is met: (Exception: Rule 10-4.1.h)
2. The ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility, while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the cylinder."

If you look at the phrase "flight" as it is used throughout the rulebook, I think the assumption is that it means that the ball has left the hands of the shooter. I am 99% sure that was called basket interference.

I believe you are correct. There is nothing "flight"-y about a dunk. Ball is still in a shooter's hand. We've all seen many blocks of dunks. Before I saw any replays last night, I thought maybe Nunge's hand had come up through the hoop and that was the call.

But it had to have been basket interference. The first several times I saw the play, I thought the ball was away from the cylinder by the time Jones contacted the rim. But I just watched it a half-dozen more times and it's very, very close. Too close to over-rule the call that was made on the court.

In an NCAA tournament game, a pool reporter would have been allowed to ask the crew chief. But in a regular-season game, I don't know if the NCAA allows its officials to be interviewed.

I ref a lot of youth basketball (4th-8th grades, mostly), but I don't have to worry too much about making above-the-rim calls. Thankfully, I never had to ref any games involving Ners when he was 10!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1834 on: February 11, 2023, 07:08:50 AM »
Not so sure that’s on the coach.

Yeah. A player not knowing the score with 10 seconds left is one thing. A head coach doing the same is incompetence on a whole other level.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #1835 on: February 11, 2023, 07:26:36 AM »
I’ve pissed my pants so bad about that game at Hinkle that I decided last night that I’m actually going to go to Indianapolis on that Tuesday wearing depends.

You see, I’m off Tuesday’s and it’s an easy trip. If Marquette still has a chance to win the Big East I’ll be there, pissed pants and all.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1836 on: February 11, 2023, 07:34:46 AM »
Excellent Exposure for The Big East today. 2 games on Fox Broadcast Network. Cooley & Company traveling to The Johnnies at The Garden. Then the big U Conn Blue Jay brawl in Omaha .

MU wins and we are in sole possession of Big East lead.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1837 on: February 11, 2023, 08:41:48 AM »

I'd love to hear an official explanation because there's definitely a lot of contention on that one. I've seen pretty credible arguments in both directions.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1838 on: February 11, 2023, 08:48:24 AM »
The relevant rule is basket interference and it clearly was. Forcibly touched the basket while ball was in the cylinder (as defined).

Section 15. Basket Interference and Goaltending
Art. 1. It is a violation to commit basket interference or goaltending.

Art. 2. Basket interference.
a. Basket interference occurs when a player:
1. Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket. If the touching of the basket involves contact with the net only, the official must determine if the touching had any effect on the ball which would rise to the level of basket interference;
2. Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base;
3. Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder;
4. Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position; and
5. Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder.
b. The cylinder is the imaginary geometric figure that has the ring as its base and is formed by the upward extension of that ring.
c. The ball shall be considered to be within the basket when any part of the ball is below the cylinder and the level of the ring
. d. A player may have a hand legally in contact with the ball, when this contact continues after the ball enters the cylinder or when, during such action, the player touches or grabs the basket. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1839 on: February 11, 2023, 09:12:39 AM »
From Lavall Jordan:

Explanation of BUTLER/Xavier goal-tend: Part of the 🏀 is in cylinder when the 🏀 is touched by the defender. If offensive player dunking forces defender’s 🤚🏾 into cylinder, there’s no goaltending. In this case w/defender coming from behind that didn’t occur. 🤷🏾‍♂️

So call was on Nunge, not Jones. In order to review basket interference or goaltending play, official has to call a violation. When they go to monitor they need indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the floor. Don’t think I have ever seen a play like that at end of game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1840 on: February 11, 2023, 09:15:05 AM »
From Lavall Jordan:

Explanation of BUTLER/Xavier goal-tend: Part of the 🏀 is in cylinder when the 🏀 is touched by the defender. If offensive player dunking forces defender’s 🤚🏾 into cylinder, there’s no goaltending. In this case w/defender coming from behind that didn’t occur. 🤷🏾‍♂️

So call was on Nunge, not Jones. In order to review basket interference or goaltending play, official has to call a violation. When they go to monitor they need indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the floor. Don’t think I have ever seen a play like that at end of game.

Interesting. Does Jordan say who his source is?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1841 on: February 11, 2023, 09:18:35 AM »
Interesting. Does Jordan say who his source is?

I’d point out he lost his job & isn’t coaching
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1842 on: February 11, 2023, 10:21:08 AM »
I have seen blocks like that before and I have never seen them called goaltending. But it was clearly basket interference.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1843 on: February 11, 2023, 10:32:41 AM »
I’d point out he lost his job & isn’t coaching

;D

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #1844 on: February 11, 2023, 11:35:49 AM »
Absolutely.  I was not surprised X lost yesterday.  MU has the tools and the team to win the BEast outright and the most favorable schedule.  Period and end of discussion. Let's get our mojo back in a few hours and back on track.

I don’t think MU has a clear advantage in the schedule. The Top 4 teams have 2-3 games against the other ranked BE teams and then a mixed bag of the bottom 6(including Seton hall here because UConn is ranked team and better).  MU plays Xavier at home and Creighton on the road.

Xavier plays @MU and @Providence. You could say as MU is playing one at home they have the advantage but I think Creighton is better than Providence so MU has a much harder game to win on the road.

Creighton has UConn and MU at home and then @Providence.

Providence has 3 ranked teams @UConn and then home against Xavier and Creighton.

If we assume the home team wins every game and they don’t get upset by the bottom 6. Xavier goes 0-2. Providence goes 2-1. Creighton goes 2-1 and MU goes 1-1. This would mean a three way tie at the top. If anyone upsets on the road then it comes even harder to win outright. Moral of the story is if MU wants to win outright they need to win out the rest of the way. To tie they need to go 5-1 and either they beat both X and Creighton or get some help so as I said their schedule isn’t that favorable.

I can’t say Nova or Hall are that much better than the bottom 4 and it could be argued that Butler is playing better now so  again I don’t see the mixed bag of the bottom 6 favoring one of the top 4 or the other.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1845 on: February 11, 2023, 11:48:37 AM »
Coach K at St. John’s game.

🤔

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #1846 on: February 11, 2023, 12:12:44 PM »
Hang in there, Johnnies!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1847 on: February 11, 2023, 12:28:07 PM »
Johnnies playing tough against Cooley & Company
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #1848 on: February 11, 2023, 01:00:26 PM »
Johnnie's  up 9 with under 2

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1849 on: February 11, 2023, 01:06:33 PM »
I used to hate Providence players, but watching the end of this game, I realize hate isn’t strong enough word.

feedback