'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 469971 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Big East Results 22-23
« Reply #975 on: January 05, 2023, 09:04:25 AM »
Cooley has Shaka’s number

Uh-Huh.  Just like he did last year when we unloaded on his team mercilessly at Fiserv?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #976 on: January 05, 2023, 09:04:42 AM »
We were still in perfect position to win that game in Providence Scoop Snoop with that ridiculous FT disparity.  The bottom line is we had no answers for Hopkins and did not execute when we had a 8 or 9 point lead late. I'm a big proponent of slamming the door.  The fact is we did not and let that game slip through our hands.  That said I'm encouraged that this group didn't let that stinging loss linger. I fully expect a surgical and medieval evisceration when the Friars come to Milwaukee.  Just sayin.

Agree that we were in a position to win and the disparity played a huge part, but we didn't. The bolded is soooo true.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #977 on: January 05, 2023, 09:12:11 AM »
Is the structure that has the b-ball coach reporting directly to the President of the University rather than to the AD something that is appealing to a potential candidate? Or, will the AD (or future coach) try to insist upon a change before a new coach is contracted?

It's hard to say for sure since candidates might have differing views. I'd think that it might be unappealing...but opportunity and cash are very appealing and may overshadow that unusual structure. I think Georgetown has tremendous upside potential as a job (or at least will be able to convince an eager and confident candidate that it does). Maybe the issue with DeGioia will deter some candidates who have other high-major opportunities, but I think they'll end up with a decent candidate.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 09:14:21 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #978 on: January 05, 2023, 09:15:19 AM »
I saw on one of the pre- game shows that PC has the biggest FT number in the BE, and by a pretty good margin. The question is, why? Our game there was surreal as to the calls. Last night, PC would strip a guy - clean, of course. At the other end, same play, foul. If a Friar stumbles on a drive and there’s an opponent anywhere near him, foul. Plus, the PC guys have no shortage of drama, play to the (loud) crowd, and get the call, often quite late. Does the league have any role here?

And speaking of the league, I know PC was a charter member, and I respect St. David’s pivotal role in its founding, but for God’s sake, how long are the conditions in that arena to be tolerated? I was at the hockey game we had there a few years ago and if I had been Wojo I would not have played given the conditions and would have accepted the consequences. I would not have subjected my guys to the risk of playing on a surface like that.

What good is a league if it does nothing to deal with issues like these? The first, although constituting a competitive disadvantage for visiting teams, is merely annoying. The second is a different story because it is a threat to the well-being of the league’s players.
Maybe if a talented athlete sustains a significant injury there due to the conditions someone will wake up (while paying the handsome settlement).

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #979 on: January 05, 2023, 09:22:43 AM »
Cooley has Shaka’s number

I mean, I imagine they've exchanged numbers before. Would be weirder if they didn't.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #980 on: January 05, 2023, 09:25:57 AM »
I saw on one of the pre- game shows that PC has the biggest FT number in the BE, and by a pretty good margin. The question is, why? Our game there was surreal as to the calls. Last night, PC would strip a guy - clean, of course. At the other end, same play, foul. If a Friar stumbles on a drive and there’s an opponent anywhere near him, foul. Plus, the PC guys have no shortage of drama, play to the (loud) crowd, and get the call, often quite late. Does the league have any role here?

And speaking of the league, I know PC was a charter member, and I respect St. David’s pivotal role in its founding, but for God’s sake, how long are the conditions in that arena to be tolerated? I was at the hockey game we had there a few years ago and if I had been Wojo I would not have played given the conditions and would have accepted the consequences. I would not have subjected my guys to the risk of playing on a surface like that.

What good is a league if it does nothing to deal with issues like these? The first, although constituting a competitive disadvantage for visiting teams, is merely annoying. The second is a different story because it is a threat to the well-being of the league’s players.
Maybe if a talented athlete sustains a significant injury there due to the conditions someone will wake up (while paying the handsome settlement).

You have added some valuable insights into PC's FT advantage and added a very important point regarding safety on their wet court. I remember a SH player being seriously injured there some years back. It makes perfect sense that PC would be better adapted to playing on a wet court and also it is reasonable that visitors would be not only at a disadvantage on both ends of the court but also more likely to be called for fouls. That does not preclude "home cooking" but a knee-jerk "the refs gave them the game" response fails to logically delve into other factors. Thanks for posting.   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #981 on: January 05, 2023, 09:27:01 AM »
Uh-Huh.  Just like he did last year when we unloaded on his team mercilessly at Fiserv?

#FakeNews
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #982 on: January 05, 2023, 09:31:17 AM »
I was at the hockey game we had there a few years ago and if I had been Wojo I would not have played given the conditions and would have accepted the consequences. I would not have subjected my guys to the risk of playing on a surface like that.

The most ridiculous game of the wojo tenure. Refs stopped calling traveling in the second half and just let Providence take the ball out of bounds every time they “slipped”, which happened repeatedly as a 14 point lead evaporated.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #983 on: January 05, 2023, 09:45:42 AM »

I'll believe in Dan Hurley being a superior coach as soon as he gets to a second weekend in March. So far he's 0-for-12, including 0-for-4 at UConn.

Plus, he has a punchable face.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #984 on: January 05, 2023, 10:01:21 AM »
Plus, he has a punchable face.

Tower, I didn't know you had a violent streak?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #985 on: January 05, 2023, 10:13:35 AM »
The most ridiculous game of the wojo tenure. Refs stopped calling traveling in the second half and just let Providence take the ball out of bounds every time they “slipped”, which happened repeatedly as a 14 point lead evaporated.

Wojo was a bad coach, but what should he have done? I guess he could have taken his team to the locker room in protest. It would have been a forfeit loss, but he'd have made a statement.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #986 on: January 05, 2023, 10:36:48 AM »
Wojo was a bad coach, but what should he have done? I guess he could have taken his team to the locker room in protest. It would have been a forfeit loss, but he'd have made a statement.

Yes.  That's what he should have done.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #987 on: January 05, 2023, 10:45:37 AM »
Yes.  That's what he should have done.

That would have created its own firestorm, but I tend to agree.

I wonder how many coaches would have done that. Perhaps some.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #988 on: January 05, 2023, 10:58:01 AM »

As in most things, I suppose it comes down to money. I wonder if Wojo even talked to anyone. He should have. I imagine he could get it touch with the AD without difficulty. Does the league have people on site? TV contract and $$$$ probably led to the game being played under unsafe conditions.

That instance aside, there are still always multiple slips, falls in games played there, up to and including last night. The league's continuing to acquiesce to those conditions shows where their priorities are.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #989 on: January 05, 2023, 11:06:31 AM »
As in most things, I suppose it comes down to money. I wonder if Wojo even talked to anyone. He should have. I imagine he could get it touch with the AD without difficulty. Does the league have people on site? TV contract and $$$$ probably led to the game being played under unsafe conditions.

That instance aside, there are still always multiple slips, falls in games played there, up to and including last night. The league's continuing to acquiesce to those conditions shows where their priorities are.

The BE should force the issue. I think PC has an unfair advantage since they have far more experience in playing on that (expletives deleted) court. I would be in favor of the BE bailing PC out of whatever is left on their lease obligations, but telling them, not asking them, that BE games cannot be played there. Unlikely to happen and I do not know if the BE has the legal authority to do that. Just venting. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #990 on: January 05, 2023, 11:10:59 AM »

It would have been so easy to say that he didn't want any of his players blowing out their knee or putting a bone through their skin like Kevin Ware.  Then mention that this seems to happen often at this particular arena and that he has brought it up before and it clearly hasn't been addressed.  Then say that because it hasn't been addressed and the surface is unsafe that he is keeping his players in the locker room.  Suggest that the game be moved to the nearest high school if the BEAST would like to continue safely.  Accept that if his decision means that Marquette will take a loss for forfeiting that at least he did something unlike those in charge of simple court maintenance... and end with something about having to change the rules of the game because of the playing surface just to play the game feels wrong, and that the problem isn't new.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #991 on: January 05, 2023, 11:57:54 AM »
PC's court is often wet, but I would not call it a pool.

In so many of your posts, you remind me of the self-deprecating humorous tagline from NPR's Car Talk featuring
Cllck and Clack, the tappet brothers: "All of our answers are unimpeded by the thought process."

At least you added one fact- we "could have pooled that game out". Kudos!

I deserved that, but I think you know what I meant.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #992 on: January 05, 2023, 12:05:23 PM »
I remember a SH player being seriously injured there some years back.
That would be Desi Rodriguez (I had to look it up). Not only was he significantly hurt, the game was stopped and was finished on campus the next day!
And Rodriguez was not himself for the rest of the season.

And even with that, crickets from the league office. I wonder if the gross receipts from ticket sales at the Dunk/AMP vs. what they'd be able to make playing in their gym has anything to do with the perpetuation of this perilous situation.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #993 on: January 05, 2023, 12:06:34 PM »
Quoting dickthedribbler.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #994 on: January 05, 2023, 12:30:38 PM »
Quoting dickthedribbler.

Well.....Hurley is really, really, really, really, unlikable.  :)

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #995 on: January 05, 2023, 12:51:33 PM »
If all four of those are out on Saturday, we're look at an opposing starting lineup of:

Primo Spears
Denver Anglin
Jordan Riley
Akok Akok
Qudus Wahab

Imagine having to start two guys in a Big East conference game who get less than 10 minutes a game for the 217th best team in the country. Plus three of the four available subs would be centers who can't play together at the same time.

At present, part of GT's problems relate to injuries. But when they are setting records for futility, we need to look for a precedent. Temple got the boot from the BE for failure to field a competitive team so there is a precedent. Anyone in the league office got the stones to oust a charter member?
Not gonna happen.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #996 on: January 05, 2023, 12:59:35 PM »
At present, part of GT's problems relate to injuries. But when they are setting records for futility, we need to look for a precedent. Temple got the boot from the BE for failure to field a competitive team so there is a precedent. Anyone in the league office got the stones to oust a charter member?
Not gonna happen.

I don't think so because at present GTown would probably still fight it based on not kicking DePaul out. I imagine we'd have to reach another level of complete ineptitude to kick Georgetown out and them not have that leg to stand on.
Maigh Eo for Sam

panda

• All American
« Reply #997 on: January 05, 2023, 01:03:05 PM »
This is why we don't write Providence off after one bad non-conference game. I was wrong too, thought they wouldn't be good this season. At this point I'm just trying for a reverse jinx  ;D

Count me as one of those (probably the main guy) knocking PC early. I never in a million years Hopkins would be the player he is so quickly. That’s freed up croswell from a lot of the pressure inside. Carter is proving to be a more than capable consistent scorer. Something he didn’t do at USC. Noah Locke found his Florida form and Bynum is holding everything together well at the point. Basically best case scenario for all of the individual pieces.

I was very off on them for sure.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #998 on: January 05, 2023, 01:52:57 PM »

He prolly meant donkey punch, hey
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #999 on: January 05, 2023, 02:19:59 PM »
Actually had to google that.    Nah.    Not my can of diet Pepsi. 

feedback