[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter 3.0  (Read 30131 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Twitter 3.0
« Reply #375 on: November 19, 2022, 04:34:29 PM »
Hope you like MyPillow and Black Rifle Coffee ads in your twitter feed

Very easy to mute those companies’ ads.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

reinko

• All American
« Reply #376 on: November 19, 2022, 04:36:28 PM »
Very easy to mute those companies’ ads.

Me thinks unmutable (that cost advertisers more) are not that far off

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #377 on: November 19, 2022, 07:59:05 PM »
Me thinks unmutable (that cost advertisers more) are not that far off

Wouldn't be surprised to see a third party script available to accomplish muting/blocking if they suspend that functionality on the first party platform.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #378 on: November 19, 2022, 08:04:26 PM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/twitter-payroll-finance-department-resigns-en-masse-under-elon-musk-2022-11

After reading this .. I can't see how Twitter can survive much longer. 

Eventually the guy who pushes the thing that makes sure the database doesn't corrupt isn't there because he's either fired or just doesn't get his paycheck so stops coming to work.

No accounting, no payroll, sales people not getting paid, no revenue, skeleton IT crew.

Seems irreparably broken at this point.   

Over/under on it being turned off?  I'm thinking Tuesday.

So, it’s become FTX?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #379 on: November 19, 2022, 08:21:27 PM »
More like Truth Social.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #382 on: November 19, 2022, 09:41:13 PM »
It’s fine. It’s been over a year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #383 on: November 20, 2022, 07:05:22 AM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #384 on: November 20, 2022, 07:18:31 AM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #385 on: November 20, 2022, 07:19:26 AM »
It’s fine. It’s been over a year.

Plus, he’s on Truth Social, the company he owns.  He doesn’t let any of his businesses fail
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

reinko

• All American
« Reply #386 on: November 20, 2022, 04:04:53 PM »
Why do you do this? People are having an on topic conversation and you yet again feel the need to inject your politics. Stop being selfish.

Mike has certainly stepped outside politics line before, but spot the lie in his statement.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #387 on: November 20, 2022, 04:39:44 PM »
Mike has certainly stepped outside politics line before, but spot the lie in his statement.

That’s fine, but there’s r/politics for that type of discussion if he wants it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #388 on: November 21, 2022, 07:20:07 AM »
Kanye's account also has been restored. And that's good, too.

Ye's first post was simply: "Shalom." Well now, there's proof that he doesn't hate Jews!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #389 on: November 21, 2022, 08:28:10 AM »
Musk desperately wants the traffic, but I guess he doesn't understand that advertisers aren't coming back based on him reinstating the guy whose account was responsible for driving 70% of the misinformation on Twitter.

Or, judging by his own posts, perhaps he just doesn't care. Musk seems to think he can sh!tpost his way to success.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #390 on: November 21, 2022, 08:48:21 AM »
Since I didn't get to it yesterday, I've just mopped up the thread instead of using the hammer.  MU82, Zig - you both get a demerit.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #391 on: November 21, 2022, 10:04:20 AM »
Since I didn't get to it yesterday, I've just mopped up the thread instead of using the hammer.  MU82, Zig - you both get a demerit.

Sorry, dad.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #392 on: November 23, 2022, 07:32:27 AM »
Elon Musk Tweets Defense of Cop Who Killed Unarmed Black Man in Ferguson, Missouri
The billionaire deleted his original tweet early Wednesday but replaced it with a DOJ report.
https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-tweets-cop-killed-unarmed-black-man-ferguson-1849815713

"Elon Musk tweeted a defense of the police officer who shot 18-year-old Michael Brown—an unarmed Black man in Ferguson, Missouri back in 2014—early Wednesday before deleting the incendiary post. Musk said the police officer was “exonerated” and that the narrative around the shooting was a “fiction.”

Gizmodo isn’t going to relitigate what happened in 2014. But we do find it notable that Musk wants to reopen the wounds of that summer, either to stoke more controversy on his social media platform with the hopes that it generates attention for a site that’s hemorrhaging advertisers, or simply because Musk wants to signal to his right-wing fans that he’s well and truly one of them. Whatever his goal, Musk succeeded at proving he desperately wants approval from the absolute worst people on the planet."

Again, either Musk thinks he can fix Twitter's business model by driving up volume, the very sort of volume that drives away the advertisers that account for 85% of Twitter's revenue, or he just doesn't care. I'm leaning towards the latter more and more.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #393 on: November 23, 2022, 07:59:53 AM »
Elon Musk Tweets Defense of Cop Who Killed Unarmed Black Man in Ferguson, Missouri
The billionaire deleted his original tweet early Wednesday but replaced it with a DOJ report.
https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-tweets-cop-killed-unarmed-black-man-ferguson-1849815713

"Elon Musk tweeted a defense of the police officer who shot 18-year-old Michael Brown—an unarmed Black man in Ferguson, Missouri back in 2014—early Wednesday before deleting the incendiary post. Musk said the police officer was “exonerated” and that the narrative around the shooting was a “fiction.”

Gizmodo isn’t going to relitigate what happened in 2014. But we do find it notable that Musk wants to reopen the wounds of that summer, either to stoke more controversy on his social media platform with the hopes that it generates attention for a site that’s hemorrhaging advertisers, or simply because Musk wants to signal to his right-wing fans that he’s well and truly one of them. Whatever his goal, Musk succeeded at proving he desperately wants approval from the absolute worst people on the planet."

Again, either Musk thinks he can fix Twitter's business model by driving up volume, the very sort of volume that drives away the advertisers that account for 85% of Twitter's revenue, or he just doesn't care. I'm leaning towards the latter more and more.

The best way to understand Elon Musk is to understand he’s not a good person.  He may be rich, he may be smart.  None of those make you a good person
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #394 on: November 23, 2022, 08:37:18 AM »
Pulled from here (https://www.tumblr.com/numberonecatwinner/701567544684855296/elon-wyd) and offered with the grain of salt that accompanies posts on the internet, (but fwiw, it's plausibly believable):

"I was an intern at SpaceX years ago, back it when it was a much smaller company — after Elon got hair plugs, but before his cult of personality was in full swing. I have some insight to offer here.

Back when I was at SpaceX, Elon was basically a child king. He was an important figurehead who provided the company with the money, power, and PR, but he didn’t have the knowledge or (frankly) maturity to handle day-to-day decision making and everyone knew that. He was surrounded by people whose job was, essentially, to manipulate him into making good decisions.

Managing Elon was a huge part of the company culture. Even I, as a lowly intern, would hear people talking about it openly in meetings. People knew how to present ideas in a way that would resonate with him, they knew how to creatively reinterpret (or ignore) his many insane demands, and they even knew how to “stage manage” parts of the physical office space so that it would appeal to Elon.

The funniest example of “stage management” I can remember is this dude on the IT security team. He had a script running in a terminal on one of his monitors that would output random garbage, Matrix-style, so that it always looked like he was doing Important Computer Things to anyone who walked by his desk. Second funniest was all the people I saw playing WoW at their desks after ~5pm, who did it in the office just to give the appearance that they were working late.

People were willing to do that at SpaceX because Elon was giving them the money (and hype) to get into outer space, a mission people cared deeply about. The company also grew with and around Elon. There were layers of management between individual employees and Elon, and those managers were experienced managers of Elon. Again, I cannot stress enough how much of the company culture was oriented around managing this one guy.

Twitter has neither of those things going for it. There is no company culture or internal structure around the problem of managing Elon Musk, and I think for the first time we’re seeing what happens when people actually take that man seriously and at face value. Worse, they’re doing this little experiment after this man has had decades of success at companies that dedicate significant resources to protecting themselves from him, and he’s too narcissistic to realize it.

This post is long so I’ll leave you with my favorite Elon story. One day at work, I got an all hands email telling me that it was Elon’s birthday and there was going to be a mandatory surprise party for him in the cafeteria. Presumably Elon also got this email, but whatever. We all marched down into the cafeteria, dimmed the lights, and waited. Elon was led out by his secretary (who he hadn’t fired yet) and made a big show of being fake surprised and touched that we were there. Then they wheeled out the cake.

OK, so, I want you to imagine the biggest penis cake you’ve ever seen. Like the king of novelty sex cakes. Only it’s frosted white, and the balls have been frosted to look like fire and smoke. This was Elon’s birthday “rocket” cake.

For as long as I live, I will never forget the look on everyone’s face — in that dark room of mostly-male engineers — when he made a wish and cut into the tip."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #395 on: November 23, 2022, 08:40:10 AM »
The best way to understand Elon Musk is to understand he’s not a good person.  He may be rich, he may be smart.  None of those make you a good person

D-bag, for sure.

Not to mention another guy afflicted with narcissistic personality disorder.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #396 on: November 23, 2022, 10:24:47 AM »

Well, yes, he has relentlessly proven he is an awful asswipe, one that has removed anyone that dares disagree with and has dismantled all governance structure around himself so that he can indulge his 12-year-old boy self unfettered by any rules.

But what I am wondering about is WTF he is doing from a business decision-making standpoint.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #397 on: November 23, 2022, 10:49:02 AM »
Well, yes, he has relentlessly proven he is an awful asswipe, one that has removed anyone that dares disagree with and has dismantled all governance structure around himself so that he can indulge his 12-year-old boy self unfettered by any rules.

But what I am wondering about is WTF he is doing from a business decision-making standpoint.

I think whats worth remembering about Musk for me, in this scenario, is that he's driven by money in a "money equals power/clout/etc.." but not in pure utility sense, like some billionaires who want the vast estates and yachts and islands.  So I think the hits to his pocketbook in the near term, if he thinks he has some grand long term plan, arent as meaningful or profound as some who are looking for ROI right away.

Its not some pie eyed "wow Musk is so next level" admiration for it, but just the read Ive always got on him from a consumption aspect.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #398 on: November 23, 2022, 11:06:44 AM »
D-bag, for sure.

Not to mention another guy afflicted with narcissistic personality disorder.

TDS.  Call your doctor.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #399 on: November 23, 2022, 11:26:40 AM »
yeah, i really miss jack dorsey, the epitome of reason and fairness.  i miss those days when they could just zap opinions and people they didn't like with flip of a switch.  that was cool! 

interesting hoe elon is drawing so much angst.  musta been something he said?  what's everyone afraid of?  now if they could just silence fox news like pierre does with press, everything would be great
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback