[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter 3.0  (Read 30233 times)

jficke13

• All American
Re: Twitter 3.0
« Reply #350 on: November 18, 2022, 07:07:48 PM »
Like I said, a favorite of mine because it makes me chuckle at Chicos

Hadn’t looked at his account lately.  Wow.  His kids need to intervene

What’s his account?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #351 on: November 18, 2022, 07:16:15 PM »
What’s his account?

Sent to your inbox
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #352 on: November 19, 2022, 09:19:46 AM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/twitter-payroll-finance-department-resigns-en-masse-under-elon-musk-2022-11

After reading this .. I can't see how Twitter can survive much longer. 

Eventually the guy who pushes the thing that makes sure the database doesn't corrupt isn't there because he's either fired or just doesn't get his paycheck so stops coming to work.

No accounting, no payroll, sales people not getting paid, no revenue, skeleton IT crew.

Seems irreparably broken at this point.   

Over/under on it being turned off?  I'm thinking Tuesday.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #353 on: November 19, 2022, 09:31:29 AM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/twitter-payroll-finance-department-resigns-en-masse-under-elon-musk-2022-11

Eventually the guy who pushes the thing that makes sure the database doesn't corrupt isn't there because he's either fired or just doesn't get his paycheck so stops coming to work.

No accounting, no payroll, sales people not getting paid, no revenue, skeleton IT crew.

I saw a guy who more or less ran through what the systems engineering team needed to do to maintain the service 24-7 to react to problems. It ran the gamut from "a hard drive filled up somewhere" to "a foreign government is demanding DM info of a U.S. Citizen traveling in their country" to "this series of cascading code problems have struck all at once does the on call engineer know who to wake up to fix the problems," to more.

In effect he was saying that Twitter is going to face tech problems much how Ernest Hemingway described bankruptcy in The Sun Also Rises:

“How did you go bankrupt?” Bill asked.

“Two ways,” Mike said. “Gradually and then suddenly.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #354 on: November 19, 2022, 10:38:57 AM »

Maybe that is the whole point. Maybe it is a deliberate attempt to destroy Twitter.

Musk is an authoritarian. Who hates Twitter the most?  Authoritarian governments.

Saudi Arabia is the largest investor in Twitter other than Musk himself.

Tesla has factories in China and China has numerous factories producing parts. Regulators are already worried that China has undue influence over Musk.

Musk is doing Putin’s bidding on the Ukraine war saying that Ukraine should cede part of its territory to Russia and accept peace.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #355 on: November 19, 2022, 11:17:38 AM »
Maybe that is the whole point. Maybe it is a deliberate attempt to destroy Twitter.

Musk is an authoritarian. Who hates Twitter the most?  Authoritarian governments.

Tesla has factories in China and China has numerous factories producing parts. Regulators are already worried that China has undue influence over Musk.

Musk is doing Putin’s bidding on the Ukraine war saying that Ukraine should cede part of its territory to Russia and accept peace.

Did you run out of tinfoil when writing this? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #356 on: November 19, 2022, 11:57:42 AM »

Yeah, no. This doesn't make any sense to me.  Authoritarian tendencies aren't just some political monolith like this.  Even taking the comparison for granted, a guy like Mussolini would have killed it on twitter. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #357 on: November 19, 2022, 11:58:13 AM »

Did you run out of tinfoil when writing this?

No I still have a good supply. But it doesn't appear that Musk is creating a better mousetrap.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #358 on: November 19, 2022, 12:03:52 PM »
Yeah, no. This doesn't make any sense to me.  Authoritarian tendencies aren't just some political monolith like this.  Even taking the comparison for granted, a guy like Mussolini would have killed it on twitter.

I would have to disagree. Social media - including Twitter is what drove the Arab Spring.

“We use Facebook to schedule the protests” an Arab Spring activist from Egypt announced “and [we use] Twitter to coordinate, and YouTube to tell the world.” The role that technology has taken in allowing the distribution of public information was essential in establishing the democratic movement that has helped guide abused civilians to overthrow their oppressor.

Social networks "for the first time provided activists with an opportunity to quickly disseminate information while bypassing government restrictions," Hussein Amin, professor of mass communications at the American University in Cairo said.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #359 on: November 19, 2022, 12:10:00 PM »

I’m predicting that Twitter survives and that end users notice zero difference while using the service.

If anything, I think what he’s doing may get other organizations to start looking around and seeing how much extra bloat they have. “Does the new grad engineer making $200k really do anything?”

With that said though, Musk seems like a terrible person to work for in general. I think he gets away with it for SpaceX and Tesla because those employees have a higher sense of “mission” and “purpose” with regards to their work. That isn’t the case with Twitter.

Though, I think he’ll attract some very high level technical people and that may be enough to move the company forward. As far as filling out the rest of the staff, he’ll have to compete with other tech companies and provide similar benefits. There’s a certain breed of people who are talented and will work for high pay and high stress. It’s honestly kind of like a when a coach changes jobs. The new coach gets their own people in there. That’s what we’re seeing now.

• All American
« Reply #360 on: November 19, 2022, 12:12:39 PM »
No I still have a good supply. But it doesn't appear that Musk is creating a better mousetrap.

But intentionally flushing billions away, while also putting Tesla at risk, just to sink Twitter is completely illogical.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #361 on: November 19, 2022, 12:19:42 PM »

Alex Jones would be proud.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #362 on: November 19, 2022, 12:23:59 PM »
CountryRoads

I agree with you 100%. These large tech companies have had extra bloat and we are seeing more and more companies scaling back. I saw an article this week about the mental health issues in Silicon Valley with the number of layoffs that has happened over the past month or so. One therapist said their group was working crazy hours to keep up with the work. A lot of people had very good runs and it might be tough sledding moving ahead.

I definitely think Musk will attract high level talent and will succeed. The guy is must watch TV for me and I will be following Twitter closely. Hopefully he can get things straightened out and get back to Space X. IMO, Space X is going to be his greatest accomplishment.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #363 on: November 19, 2022, 12:27:26 PM »
Alex Jones would be proud.

Thank you.

So if Twitter dies soon, as many have predicted (I have not done so), what will be the cause?

Stupidity or incompetence, as many here on Scoop have suggested (because the world's richest man is obviously both of those  ::) ). Or intent.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #364 on: November 19, 2022, 01:00:05 PM »
I would have to disagree. Social media - including Twitter is what drove the Arab Spring.

“We use Facebook to schedule the protests” an Arab Spring activist from Egypt announced “and [we use] Twitter to coordinate, and YouTube to tell the world.” The role that technology has taken in allowing the distribution of public information was essential in establishing the democratic movement that has helped guide abused civilians to overthrow their oppressor.

Social networks "for the first time provided activists with an opportunity to quickly disseminate information while bypassing government restrictions," Hussein Amin, professor of mass communications at the American University in Cairo said.

Sure, they can be used for that.  Social media is a value-neutral platform that has the ability to disseminate information to a large number of people quickly.  But I don't think it has an arc that bends toward justice or anything like that.  I suppose that its a thorn in the side of any entity that wants to suppress the transmittal of information - e.g. an authoritative regime already esconced in power.  But IMO its just as likely to lead to the popularity and success of those authoritative regimes in their infancy as not.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #365 on: November 19, 2022, 01:24:03 PM »

The Arab spring was a decade ago. I think since then authoritarians have figured out how to weaponize social media.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #366 on: November 19, 2022, 01:26:03 PM »
Thank you.

So if Twitter dies soon, as many have predicted (I have not done so), what will be the cause?

Stupidity or incompetence, as many here on Scoop have suggested (because the world's richest man is obviously both of those  ::) ). Or intent.

Twitter might go down but won’t be dead for good. But explain to me Musk’s motivations for blowing billions simply to shut Twitter down?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #367 on: November 19, 2022, 02:38:38 PM »
Along with massive staffing catastrophes, payroll not getting out, payables not getting paid .. maybe the servers keep running.

But .. revenue?   I can't imagine a single new piece of business has been booked in the past week+.   And .. invoices aren't going out, any revenue coming in isn't getting received.   It's hard to imagine anything less than pandemonium when your accounting department is gone.

And the big clients?  Are they going to advertise on a site that has almost zero content rules?

It's going to get far worse than this report:
https://botsentinel.com/reports/documents/kamala-harris/report-05-26-2022.pdf

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #368 on: November 19, 2022, 02:40:53 PM »

Twitter might go down but won’t be dead for good. But explain to me Musk’s motivations for blowing billions simply to shut Twitter down?

First of all, I agree with your first sentence totally.

Second, IF Musk wants to shut Twitter down ( which is why I used the word ‘maybe’ twice in my original post), there could be several reasons. One is influence he would gain in many authoritarian countries around the world, including huge financial gains. Another reason is found in the belief of people around him like Thiel and others that Technocrats - not democratic governments- are the future saviors.

Finally, I did not say these things were happening. I said there was a possibility that they were driving his thinking if, as it appears, he is actually taking steps to subvert Twitter.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #369 on: November 19, 2022, 02:42:01 PM »
Along with massive staffing catastrophes, payroll not getting out, payables not getting paid .. maybe the servers keep running.

But .. revenue?   I can't imagine a single new piece of business has been booked in the past week+.   And .. invoices aren't going out, any revenue coming in isn't getting received.   It's hard to imagine anything less than pandemonium when your accounting department is gone.

And the big clients?  Are they going to advertise on a site that has almost zero content rules?

Almost sounds intentional.  8-)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #370 on: November 19, 2022, 02:44:04 PM »

He’s fixing Silicon Valley.  Game over lazy people

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #371 on: November 19, 2022, 03:42:42 PM »
He’s fixing Silicon Valley.  Game over lazy people

Twitter employees about to learn how the rest of us work: https://babylonbee.com/video/fired-twitter-employee-applies-for-first-real-job
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #372 on: November 19, 2022, 04:00:34 PM »
Twitter employees about to learn how the rest of us work: https://babylonbee.com/video/fired-twitter-employee-applies-for-first-real-job

Nah, they’ll find jobs faster than most people. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #373 on: November 19, 2022, 04:06:02 PM »

Hope you like MyPillow and Black Rifle Coffee ads in your twitter feed

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #374 on: November 19, 2022, 04:20:27 PM »
Hope you like MyPillow and Black Rifle Coffee ads in your twitter feed

Don’t the companies that pull off Twitter that if you go woke you go broke?

feedback