[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: More Scoop Letter Writing?  (Read 2090 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PBRme

• All American
Re: More Scoop Letter Writing?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 09:45:46 AM »
Did it Work???

I'm going to write letters to all of my neighbors with political yard signs (like a yard sign is going to affect any person's vote) demanding they are removed.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 09:53:03 AM »
Mope.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 10:09:51 AM »
Mope.

What if I use really good stationary?
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 10:31:30 AM »
Did it Work???

I'm going to write letters to all of my neighbors with political yard signs (like a yard sign is going to affect any person's vote) demanding they are removed.

Yep.  If you have a bunch of political yard sigsn, I'm gonna judge you, regardless of political affiliation.  If you have one of the huge ones the size of a bed sheet, I'm gonna assume you're a special kind of doofus who is prone to inane Facebook rantings.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 10:36:10 AM »
I wanted to get one this year just to send a nice and loud signal to my neighbors that I don't want to talk to them.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 10:43:50 AM »
Yep.  If you have a bunch of political yard sigsn, I'm gonna judge you, regardless of political affiliation.  If you have one of the huge ones the size of a bed sheet, I'm gonna assume you're a special kind of doofus who is prone to inane Facebook rantings.

Political signs only work for a few months every four years.  This works wonders year round!

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 10:59:59 AM »
I wanted to get one this year just to send a nice and loud signal to my neighbors that I don't want to talk to them.

Kinda like when Larry David wore a certain kind of red hat on Curb. That was a freakin' funny episode.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 11:09:52 AM »
That letter was actually more readable that most of rocket’s posts.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 12:13:03 PM »
Did it Work???

My neighborhood has association already has that written in, no yard signs whatsoever (political, adverising birthday, yard sale)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 12:40:28 PM »
My neighborhood has association already has that written in, no yard signs whatsoever (political, adverising birthday, yard sale)

Finally, a positive for HOAs.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2022, 01:34:35 PM »
Did it Work???

As someone with political yard signs, they are not there to affect any person's vote. Are there probably some low-information voters who simply vote for whomever they see more signs for? Maybe, but I'm guessing those are few and far between.

I have yard signs for two reasons. First, to remind people who would vote for the candidates I support simply to go vote. Seeing signs reminds those voters the election is coming up and if they don't pay attention to politics, they may not keep careful track of that (hence why one of the signs we have is simply a "Vote" sign with voting information).

For smaller races, such as Alderman or many state offices, people simply don't know the names so having a sign for my chosen State Assembly candidate next to the more prominent names on the ballot can help inform voters "I'm voting for X, and people that support X also support Y, so when I vote I'll vote for both of them."

But as far as the massive bed sheet sized signs, count me out. Not putting something like that in my yard. They are tools for notification and association, not persuasion.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2022, 04:10:19 PM »
As someone with political yard signs, they are not there to affect any person's vote. Are there probably some low-information voters who simply vote for whomever they see more signs for? Maybe, but I'm guessing those are few and far between.

I have yard signs for two reasons. First, to remind people who would vote for the candidates I support simply to go vote. Seeing signs reminds those voters the election is coming up and if they don't pay attention to politics, they may not keep careful track of that (hence why one of the signs we have is simply a "Vote" sign with voting information).

For smaller races, such as Alderman or many state offices, people simply don't know the names so having a sign for my chosen State Assembly candidate next to the more prominent names on the ballot can help inform voters "I'm voting for X, and people that support X also support Y, so when I vote I'll vote for both of them."

But as far as the massive bed sheet sized signs, count me out. Not putting something like that in my yard. They are tools for notification and association, not persuasion.

On the bolded, not being snarky, do you really think a substantial amount of people don't know an election is coming up?  Not being disinterested in politics or not wanting to/cant be arsed to vote, but not realizing?  Especially in 2022. Between ESPN, streaming apps, or Youtube...not even mentioning any social media, I see Barnes/Johnson or Michels/Evers related ads easily a dozen times a day.

Local election stuff makes a lot more sense, but for national level races, I find that reasoning surprising.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2022, 05:07:32 PM »
I block about 10 numbers a day when elections are approaching.  I wish I could avoid knowing an election was coming up.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 05:21:00 PM »
On the bolded, not being snarky, do you really think a substantial amount of people don't know an election is coming up?  Not being disinterested in politics or not wanting to/cant be arsed to vote, but not realizing?  Especially in 2022. Between ESPN, streaming apps, or Youtube...not even mentioning any social media, I see Barnes/Johnson or Michels/Evers related ads easily a dozen times a day.

Local election stuff makes a lot more sense, but for national level races, I find that reasoning surprising.

Substantial, probably not, but I think a number of low-information and younger voters actively avoid that stuff. It's pretty easy to ignore text messages and tone out political ads, especially as it often seems like political ad season never ends. I have definitely seen both, but between work and primarily using streaming services like Netflix and Disney+ that (at least for now) are ad-free, I've probably seen fewer this cycle than any of the past few years. Especially as many people that do have those ads come up just look at a different device for 30-60 seconds (like opening your phone during the YTTV commercial break).
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2022, 06:15:19 AM »
I block about 10 numbers a day when elections are approaching.  I wish I could avoid knowing an election was coming up.

Reply STOP instead. 

You're welcome.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2022, 07:57:05 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/you-must-within-2-days-minimum-insane-neighbor-demands-woman-remove-fake-plants-from-her-porch-in-bizarre-viral-letter/ar-AA13Ar34?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=92e727f4b12b461bdd6773c5e589846b

Someone took a page directly out of the MUScoop playbook.

Roughly 99% of all "letters" posted on Reddit are fake, for the purposes of getting karma/trolling/entertainment.

I hope you were entertained!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2022, 08:46:31 AM »
Reply STOP instead. 

You're welcome.

Done it thousands of times over the last 6 years, plus blocked the numbers after that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2022, 10:29:42 AM »
People with yard signs either need affirmation or are looking for a fight. Add to that, they’re a blight on the neighborhood.

No thanks.

panda

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2022, 11:03:07 AM »
People with yard signs either need affirmation or are looking for a fight. Add to that, they’re a blight on the neighborhood.

No thanks.

Yard sign guy is a close cousin of multiple bumper sticker guy.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2022, 11:08:13 AM »
Yard sign guy is a close cousin of multiple bumper sticker guy.

Bingo!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2022, 11:38:24 AM »
Thank Jehovah that this wasn't about Christmas ornaments.

Sure don't want Christmas ornaments on one's bush, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2022, 08:52:50 AM »
Gosh, I just love election season!

My wife and I are of different political persuasions and, hence, belong to different parties.

That means we get flooded with calls, mail, texts, emails, carrier pigeons and assorted crap from both parties. It never ends, especially before we got rid of our land line.

Morale: Mixed marriages are bad for phone manners!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2022, 09:13:04 AM »
dgies

Mixed political marriage here as well and my wife only complains on the calls/texts when they come from my side of the aisle. I love election season and the calls/texts do not bother me.

feedback