[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Open Gym  (Read 10143 times)

Boards

• Walk-On
Re: Marquette Open Gym
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2022, 02:57:33 PM »
The level he played at is much higher than d3. I’d compare his championship squad  to low level d1 hoops.
No.

panda

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2022, 03:00:55 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2022, 03:06:45 PM »
Yeah I would say NAIA at that level is high D2 / low major D1. He was getting a full ride there.  Much better than D3.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2022, 03:09:12 PM »
Yeah I would say NAIA at that level is high D2 / low major D1. He was getting a full ride there.  Much better than D3.

Correct - I think d1 naia hoops has 10 scholarships to give out each season.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2022, 03:16:54 PM »
There is “low major” NAIA too. Like Viterbo. But that’s not what Zach was playing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2022, 03:20:31 PM »
People are actually saying NAIA, is worse than D3 HAHAHAHAHA

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2022, 03:21:01 PM »
Correct - I think d1 naia hoops has 10 scholarships to give out each season.

One of his teammates from last year is now on Ole Miss, so it's some quality basketball.
VIOLENCE!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2022, 03:21:40 PM »
You may be right. Clearly has a motor. I'm very skeptical of the move from NAIA which is really level lower than DIII so we'll see. Motors travel I suppose, just not buying the stock.

No. NAIA is comparable to D2. Like D2, the top NAIA teams can usually compete with the bottom quarter of D1 teams. Still a big jump in competition but it is not like the jump from "below D3" to D1.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2022, 03:24:11 PM »
No. NAIA is comparable to D2. Like D2, the top NAIA teams can usually compete with the bottom quarter of D1 teams. Still a big jump in competition but it is not like the jump from "below D3" to D1.

Wizzo knows all!

https://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/how-to-get-recruited/college-divisions/naia-vs-ncaa

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2022, 08:07:49 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2022, 10:43:29 PM »
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2022, 12:10:49 AM »
Already playing "the we are young" card, SAD!

KOHLER!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2022, 12:37:30 AM »
KOHLER!
Excellent plumbing fixtures, we going down the drain?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2022, 01:20:38 AM »
Excellent plumbing fixtures, we going down the drain?

Toto

Boards

• Walk-On
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2022, 06:51:00 AM »
Shaka has really stressed the jump in competition for Wrightsill. Would he do that as aggressively for a high dII low dI transfer? Not sure. Also talked to some former video coordinators from dI programs and they were saying naia is below dIII. Also Just looking at the opponents in the Wrightsill highlight videos…😬. Just saying my expectations are high energy motor guy and that’s great but nothing more.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2022, 07:42:10 AM »
Shaka has really stressed the jump in competition for Wrightsill. Would he do that as aggressively for a high dII low dI transfer? Not sure. Also talked to some former video coordinators from dI programs and they were saying naia is below dIII. Also Just looking at the opponents in the Wrightsill highlight videos…😬. Just saying my expectations are high energy motor guy and that’s great but nothing more.

Definitely a head scratcher pick up if that is all he winds up being.  We needed and impact transfer that could rebound with a promise of plenty of playing time.  Shaka was able to get some impressive transfers last year with the same playing time promise.  Will be interesting following Wrightsills progress.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2022, 08:12:11 AM »

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2022, 08:16:14 AM »
Already playing "the we are young" card, SAD!

It's no secret Shaka is building primarily through high school/prep school players with 3 grad transfers his first two years and transfers Kolek and Prosper.  There are more than a few people on here who don't agree with this and all I can say is that for this to change, you will probably have to wait until the next head coach.

Compared to many programs now, this is a young team.  Wrightsill will be the only 22 year old at seasons end.  Kolek and Kam Jones will be 21.  As a contrast, Cooley at Providence has gone heavy into the transfer market and will have something like (4) 23 year olds and I think Bynum turns 24 in mid March.  Shaka is basically done recruiting for 2023 and Cooley might have to hit the transfer market again. 

Two ways to do things.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

tower912

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2022, 08:32:02 AM »
'we are young'?   Fun
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2022, 08:32:27 AM »
It's no secret Shaka is building primarily through high school/prep school players with 3 grad transfers his first two years and transfers Kolek and Prosper.  There are more than a few people on here who don't agree with this and all I can say is that for this to change, you will probably have to wait until the next head coach.

Compared to many programs now, this is a young team.  Wrightsill will be the only 22 year old at seasons end.  Kolek and Kam Jones will be 21.  As a contrast, Cooley at Providence has gone heavy into the transfer market and will have something like (4) 23 year olds and I think Bynum turns 24 in mid March.  Shaka is basically done recruiting for 2023 and Cooley might have to hit the transfer market again. 

Two ways to do things.

I like Shakas way better if he is hitting the mark on the right guys and we can pay them to stay.  When we do go transfer portal to fill out the roster I would hope it would be an impact transfer, however. Hope Wrighsill is the real deal.  Shaka thinks so or he wouldn’t have wasted a scholarship l would hope.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2022, 08:52:08 AM »
Toto

The last house we bought in Chicago was very nice but one of the toilets had a crack in the bowl. Consumer Reports recommended Toto as the top brand in toilets, so I decided to buy one. But you couldn't get Toto products in Home Depot or Lowe's, so you had to go through specialty plumbing stores or wholesalers ... and I found that it was almost impossible to get one.

I finally thought I located one in a warehouse near the United Center but when I went to pick it up, the guy said, Sorry but it was gone. I asked him what was going on, why couldn't I get a freakin' Toto toilet? He said something like, "I know you're not gonna believe this, but there's almost like a black market for them. They don't make enough, and it creates more demand and higher prices, and they end up getting sold before we can even get them in, and they go for way above list price."

Well, Toto might make incredible products, but I wasn't gonna flush $1,000 for an effen black-market toilet. Ended up buying a Kohler and it worked perfectly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2022, 09:52:09 AM »

Two ways to do things.
Markus is only 23 yrs old

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2022, 09:57:50 AM »
The last house we bought in Chicago was very nice but one of the toilets had a crack in the bowl. Consumer Reports recommended Toto as the top brand in toilets, so I decided to buy one. But you couldn't get Toto products in Home Depot or Lowe's, so you had to go through specialty plumbing stores or wholesalers ... and I found that it was almost impossible to get one.

I finally thought I located one in a warehouse near the United Center but when I went to pick it up, the guy said, Sorry but it was gone. I asked him what was going on, why couldn't I get a freakin' Toto toilet? He said something like, "I know you're not gonna believe this, but there's almost like a black market for them. They don't make enough, and it creates more demand and higher prices, and they end up getting sold before we can even get them in, and they go for way above list price."

Well, Toto might make incredible products, but I wasn't gonna flush $1,000 for an effen black-market toilet. Ended up buying a Kohler and it worked perfectly.

Back then in Chicago, everything related to the trades "fell of the back of the truck".

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2022, 10:14:16 AM »
Back then in Chicago, everything related to the trades "fell of the back of the truck".

I mean, I'm only talkin' 2005. It wasn't the Capone era!

And BTW, I have no idea if it's still difficult to get a Toto toilet or if it's easy-peasy now. Haven't needed to find out.

Anyhoo, sorry that I spun this thread a different direction. It had been so interesting reading the debate about whether NAIA is below the D3 level, at the D3 level, below the D2 level, at the D2 level, at the upper-D2 level, etc.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2022, 12:13:15 PM »

High energy motor guy is exactly the prototype this team needs no ? That’s the type of skill set that translates from the comparable lower d1 level of naia ball he played at previously.

feedback