Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Open Gym  (Read 10030 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Marquette Open Gym
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2022, 09:53:13 AM »
Sean Jones will be starting PG by conference play - he can play with Kolek.

Sean Jones, Kolek, Kam, Omax, Oso is starting and closing lineup.

I have to say, the more we hear about Sean Jones and the closer I get to proclaiming him Marquette’s Trey Burke
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2022, 09:54:44 AM »
Ya...I loved Siva.  He was sort of a poor man's Muggsy with tremendous speed of the bounce.  Guys with jets that are immune to full-court presses, can control tempo and the entire game, are valuable assets Goose.  Some also cut off the head of the snake defensively. 

One of the worst coaching moves Buzz made was trying to use Junior to guard Siva in the 2012 BET while Vander was standing over in the corner.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2022, 09:56:16 AM »
What are the beer prices this year?

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2022, 10:29:45 AM »
Any Stevie Mitchell news?

Stevie looked good, ball defense was fantastic as to be expected. Had multiple deflections off the ball too. Definitely looked bigger physically than last year, maybe not as much as Tyler or Kam though. Had a couple turnovers driving in the paint, but also made some nice plays as well. Shot looks more confident than last year. Really shined when he played the 2G with Sean playing PG.

Another tidbit, Shaka mentioned Stevie nearly has a 4.0 gpa!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2022, 10:30:32 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2022, 10:32:59 AM »
How are you able to get to the scrimmage, the open practice, etc if you live in Texas? Not only is it impressive but as a guy who lives outside Wisconsin I’m jealous. Also, thanks for the info

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2022, 10:34:04 AM »
TAMU

Kolek stood out to me for his shooting, but more importantly, he looked stronger and it better shape. He definitely looks more like big time BE player body wise, IMO. I was impressed with Oso's ball handling and passing. Chase Ross was better than expected and I love everything about Sean Jones.

I have been very high on Omax and it was hard to tell how big of a step forward he made last night. I still think he makes a big impact this season, but he did nothing special last night. In fairness, there were a million drills and hard to judge guys off of last night.

That being said, I am far more optimistic going into this season over last season. Aside from Gold, this team is stacked with athletes and lot of guys fighting for playing time. Plus, it seems like every guy has bought in their role and the system. I am a system guy and happen to love Shaka's approach in style of play.

Good call on Ross. I liked what he was putting down. I think he could be really good in a year or two
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2022, 10:43:09 AM »
Stevie looked good, ball defense was fantastic as to be expected. Had multiple deflections off the ball too. Definitely looked bigger physically than last year, maybe not as much as Tyler or Kam though. Had a couple turnovers driving in the paint, but also made some nice plays as well. Shot looks more confident than last year. Really shined when he played the 2G with Sean playing PG.

Stevie is a superb young man.  Tremendous representative for MU hoops. 

Boards

• Walk-On
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2022, 10:46:52 AM »
I have to say, the more we hear about Sean Jones and the closer I get to proclaiming him Marquette’s Trey Burke

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2022, 10:51:28 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmOroJC8LDE

* Crean quote - uh oh!
* Talk of Oso not wanting to stick around? Presumably was considering transfer - maybe I missed that

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2022, 10:57:22 AM »
* Crean quote - uh oh!
* Talk of Oso not wanting to stick around? Presumably was considering transfer - maybe I missed that

After the coaching change he was considering it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2022, 11:02:34 AM »
Finally, Joplin's practice habits.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2022, 11:03:48 AM »
After the coaching change he was considering it.

Ah yes, just went back and listened - I initially missed the first part of the question "When you first got here...Oso was deciding...".  Nevermind!

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2022, 11:22:15 AM »

Thanks.  Tower mentioned another board.  I don’t go to another board.  Is there more to the story?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
VIOLENCE!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2022, 11:29:13 AM »
Finally, Joplin's practice habits.

I will be interesting to see if Shaka's "could be our best player" materializes.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2022, 11:49:28 AM »
Sean Jones will be starting PG by conference play - he can play with Kolek.

Sean Jones, Kolek, Kam, Omax, Oso is starting and closing lineup.

What about Zach Wrightsil--how's he looking?  I thought we were going to be leaning on him pretty heavily for some rebounding...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2022, 11:51:26 AM »
and a "KenPom Tempo" reference....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2022, 11:53:12 AM »
Shaka:  ...... Wrightsil had surgery over the summer.   Plus the adjustment from NAIA. He will get better as the season goes on.

Boards

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2022, 11:58:29 AM »
What about Zach Wrightsil--how's he looking?  I thought we were going to be leaning on him pretty heavily for some rebounding...
I wasn't there last night but to me Wrightsill contributes 15 minutes a night with pure hustle plays

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2022, 12:47:56 PM »
Did we have the requisite number of deflections?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2022, 01:17:51 PM »
I wasn't there last night but to me Wrightsill contributes 15 minutes a night with pure hustle plays

Hm, if you watch Shaka's video, it sounds like he may get there by the end of the season, and is giving max effort now, but might not be ready for the step up in competition...yet.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2022, 01:43:31 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Boards

• Walk-On
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2022, 02:30:04 PM »
Hm, if you watch Shaka's video, it sounds like he may get there by the end of the season, and is giving max effort now, but might not be ready for the step up in competition...yet.

You may be right. Clearly has a motor. I'm very skeptical of the move from NAIA which is really level lower than DIII so we'll see. Motors travel I suppose, just not buying the stock.

panda

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2022, 02:33:25 PM »
You may be right. Clearly has a motor. I'm very skeptical of the move from NAIA which is really level lower than DIII so we'll see. Motors travel I suppose, just not buying the stock.

The level he played at is much higher than d3. I’d compare his championship squad  to low level d1 hoops.

feedback