[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by MU82
[Today at 02:05:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Baylor Preview  (Read 7243 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Baylor Preview
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2022, 12:56:32 PM »
Dead? No. We have some of the best attendance in college basketball. We play in a massive arena and attendance at college basketball games is down across the nation.

Attendance was listed at around 12,500 for Chicago State. There is no chance the real number was even close to that.  Attendance numbers can be inflated.
VIOLENCE!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2022, 12:59:31 PM »
There are loads of tickets on sale on StubHub for tomorrow's game against #6 Baylor for anywhere between $2 and $8.

Is this fanbase dead?

It's a Tuesday in December. They got about 14,000 for the Illinois game last year. My guess is that it will be around that, though Baylor won't have the local draw that Illinois would.

It would help if Marquette marketed these a little more aggressively.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2022, 01:00:06 PM »
Attendance was listed at around 12,500 for Chicago State. There is no chance the real number was even close to that.  Attendance numbers can be inflated.

Like every other school, it is based on tickets sold.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2022, 01:02:48 PM »
There are loads of tickets on sale on StubHub for tomorrow's game against #6 Baylor for anywhere between $2 and $8.

Is this fanbase dead?

We were up against three state schools in Florida, with two of them in adjoining states. MU's enrollment is 50%-100%+ LESS. Not only did MU sell out its allotment, it had more fans than those three state schools combined.

Now if the Scoop cord cutting fans would only show up tomorrow...we might have something.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2022, 01:20:54 PM »

I'm aware. But all schools inflate their attendance numbers in similar ways. Watch home games for other non top 15 programs and you will see that our attendance is still among the best in the business. Hell, Texas is arguably the top team in the country and they had to put tarps over the entire upper deck of their 15,000 seat arena for their matchup with #2 (at the time) Gonzaga. The problem is that attendance is down nationwide.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2022, 03:12:17 PM »
We were up against three state schools in Florida, with two of them in adjoining states. MU's enrollment is 50%-100%+ LESS. Not only did MU sell out its allotment, it had more fans than those three state schools combined.

Now if the Scoop cord cutting fans would only show up tomorrow...we might have something.

The MU travel fanbase is insanely good.  Can't wait to see how many go to Notre Dame. It's going to be a ton.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2022, 03:50:51 PM »

Is this fanbase dead?

I'm travelling in from Colorado (weather permitting) tomorrow afternoon and planning to snatch up one of those cheap tix for tomorrow night, I've already secured a lower level ticket for the game against that State school on Saturday, lots of tickets still available on secondary market for that one too!

Hope to see some Scoopers and some good B-Ball being played ;)
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2022, 03:58:20 PM »
MU hasn't lost a game where the tempo was over 66. Baylor plays at 71. A good match-up test game for the Warriors versus those slog fights against MSU and Purdue (who both struggled against MU, it wasn't just one way).

Strength on strength for once in this litmus test battle. Should be fun.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 04:03:17 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2022, 04:16:56 PM »

I flew home to WI from Ft Myers on Thanksgiving afternoon. No more than 60 folks on the flight…I’d say 50-ish were MU fans…and just as important, no 1992 Rose Bowl sweatshirt-wearing Walmart Badger fans in sight. Perfect.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2022, 04:49:42 PM »
I flew home to WI from Ft Myers on Thanksgiving afternoon. No more than 60 folks on the flight…I’d say 50-ish were MU fans…and just as important, no 1992 Rose Bowl sweatshirt-wearing Walmart Badger fans in sight. Perfect.

Perfect indeed. Btw, there were more MU Ricans there than GT fans. Ron travels.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2022, 05:22:18 PM »
Marquette is only +5.5 right now.

Seems pretty laughable. Baylor has ELITE scorers. Makes me think they'll be favored by about 3 on Saturday.
VIOLENCE!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2022, 07:09:17 PM »

Seems pretty laughable. Baylor has ELITE scorers. Makes me think they'll be favored by about 3 on Saturday.

Shaka is 60% as a dog. When we’re 7-8 point underdogs, the market, so far this year, has seemed to bet Marquette lines 1-2 points closer than they seem to be.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2022, 07:32:41 PM »

Maybe you just don’t really know what you’re talking about?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2022, 07:44:38 PM »

Uhh...Baylor doesn't have a game on Saturday. And we play them tomorrow. This is nonsensical.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2022, 07:57:01 PM »
Uhh...Baylor doesn't have a game on Saturday. And we play them tomorrow. This is nonsensical.

Huh?

Marquette plays Baylor tomorrow? That's some groundbreaking insight.

That's why I said they are +5.5

That leads me to believe they will be favored on Saturday against UW.

VIOLENCE!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2022, 06:28:07 AM »
Perfect indeed. Btw, there were more MU Ricans there than GT fans. Ron travels.
;D
Goal is National Championship

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2022, 09:11:39 AM »
Huh?

Marquette plays Baylor tomorrow? That's some groundbreaking insight.

That's why I said they are +5.5

That leads me to believe they will be favored on Saturday against UW.
I don't like this match-up for MU.  IMHO, Baylor is a better version of MU right now...and where MU wants to be in the next year or two.  I'd rather play a Purdue. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2022, 09:26:45 AM »
Baptism by fire.  Go Marquette!  Get it done!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2022, 10:16:39 AM »
I don't like this match-up for MU.  IMHO, Baylor is a better version of MU right now...and where MU wants to be in the next year or two.  I'd rather play a Purdue.

I agree with this, though worse teams can beat the better versions of themselves. I think MU probably loses this game 7 out of 10 times (worse on a neutral court or on the road) but it tonight happens to be one of the three it's not like we have to play them again.
TAMU

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2022, 10:39:57 AM »
I agree with this, though worse teams can beat the better versions of themselves. I think MU probably loses this game 7 out of 10 times (worse on a neutral court or on the road) but it tonight happens to be one of the three it's not like we have to play them again.

I just hope it is not a blow out. Even though we lost I enjoyed both the State and Purdue games. Hopefully we can keep it together in the last minutes. Not sure how much home court will help putting us on the winning side of the ledger this time.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2022, 10:50:42 AM »
The Wojo stain will be extremely hard to rub off of this program.  Shaka has taken steps in the right direction with a tourney bid Year 1 and a competitive team that looks to at least be on the bubble Year 2, but there is little to no patience with the average fan.  We were told "just wait" for almost a decade while mediocrity reigned supreme; no one is interested in "just waiting" anymore.  We need a ranked team.  We need to be relevant in Maui next year.  We need to win some tournament games.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2022, 11:20:51 AM »

I don't like either of these matchups for Marquette this week and for a team that has struggled to close against good teams, I expect similar results in both games this week. 

Baylor by 10+
UW by 2 possessions
VIOLENCE!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2022, 11:21:58 AM »
Just got tickets for tonight and will be driving up from Chicago. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up and watch the best test of our team thus far.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2022, 11:30:58 AM »
I don't like either of these matchups for Marquette this week and for a team that has struggled to close against good teams, I expect similar results in both games this week. 

Baylor by 10+
UW by 2 possessions

So if we filter that through your lose by 3 to Georgia Tech predication, we are going to beat Baylor by 20+ and UW by at least 24  ;D
TAMU

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2022, 11:36:19 AM »
So if we filter that through your lose by 3 to Georgia Tech predication, we are going to beat Baylor by 20+ and UW by at least 24  ;D

Pretty sure he’s said we’re going to lose every game
Bring back FFP!!!

feedback