[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Baylor Preview  (Read 7245 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Baylor Preview
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2022, 11:37:31 AM »
So if we filter that through your lose by 3 to Georgia Tech predication, we are going to beat Baylor by 20+ and UW by at least 24  ;D

If that's what you want to believe. Marquette has high level effort, but they seem to be missing quite a bit in terms of being a real team that matters.

I predicted 16-15 this season and I think thats right about where they'll end up, as my preseason predictions are still a perfect 6 for 6.  Preseason I picked MU to beat UW, if I could change that now I would after watching 3 weeks of hoops.

Baylor is a significant level ahead of MU and though UW may not be, they are better at winning.
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2022, 11:47:51 AM »
The Wojo stain will be extremely hard to rub off of this program.  Shaka has taken steps in the right direction with a tourney bid Year 1 and a competitive team that looks to at least be on the bubble Year 2, but there is little to no patience with the average fan.  We were told "just wait" for almost a decade while mediocrity reigned supreme; no one is interested in "just waiting" anymore.  We need a ranked team.  We need to be relevant in Maui next year.  We need to win some tournament games.

Why will the "Wojo stain be extremely hard to rub off this program?"

Iowa State went from being 0-18 in the Big 12 Prohm's last year to the Sweet Sixteen Otzelberger's first year.
Texas Tech went from being 3-15 in the Big 12 Tubby's second last year to finishing 2nd in the Big 12 Chris Beard's second year.
Alabama went from being 9th in the SEC each of Avery Johnson's last 2 season to winning the SEC in Nate Oats's second year.
LSU went from being 2-16 in Johnny Jones's last year to winning the SEC in Will Wade's second year.
Oklahoma State went from being 3-15 in Travis Ford's last year to being a Tourney team in Brad Underwood's one season there.
TCU was horrendous for years and a Tournament team year 2 under Jamie Dixon.
Steve Alford was bad by UCLA standards and Mick Cronin finished 2nd in the Pac 12 his first year.
Nevada was horrible under David Carter and Muss turned them around overnight.

With NIL and immediate eligibility for transfers, it's never been easier to turn a program around quickly.  Good coaches can coach.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2022, 11:50:55 AM »

Iowa State went from being 0-18 in the Big 12 Prohm's last year to the Sweet Sixteen Otzelberger's first year.
Texas Tech went from being 3-15 in the Big 12 Tubby's second last year to finishing 2nd in the Big 12 Chris Beard's second year.
Alabama went from being 9th in the SEC each of Avery Johnson's last 2 season to winning the SEC in Nate Oats's second year.
LSU went from being 2-16 in Johnny Jones's last year to winning the SEC in Will Wade's second year.
Oklahoma State went from being 3-15 in Travis Ford's last year to being a Tourney team in Brad Underwood's one season there.
Steve Alford was bad by UCLA standards and Mick Cronin finished 2nd in the Pac 12 his first year.

With NIL and immediate eligibility for transfers, it's never been easier to turn a program around quickly.  Good coaches can coach.

Have any of them gone the last 10 seasons without a tournament win?

Maybe not the best, but arguably the most exciting team we've had the past 10 seasons was eliminated in the NIT Semifinal.
VIOLENCE!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2022, 11:52:17 AM »

I agree with the sentiment for sure. However, including Will Wade definitely tarnishes the point on the "coach" part. $$$$$$$$ turned LSU around. 
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2022, 11:54:01 AM »
I agree with the sentiment for sure. However, including Will Wade definitely tarnishes the point on the "coach" part. $$$$$$$$ turned LSU around.

And $$$$$$$$$ can now be used above the table.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2022, 12:01:04 PM »
Have any of them gone the last 10 seasons without a tournament win?

Maybe not the best, but arguably the most exciting team we've had the past 10 seasons was eliminated in the NIT Semifinal.

That has nothing to do with what Wades said.  Absolutely zero. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2022, 12:11:34 PM »
That has nothing to do with what Wades said.  Absolutely zero.

Except it does. He's talking about getting rid of the Wojo stain.  The stain has done noticeable damage to the fanbase.  The last 10 years have been not fun.  Some of our most exciting basketball during the Wojo era was an NIT run.

All those other teams have overcome their "stains" by winning in March. We haven't won a tournament game in 10 seasons and it doesn't necessarily look like that drought ends this year.  That's the counter.
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2022, 12:14:05 PM »
Except it does. He's talking about getting rid of the Wojo stain.  The stain has done noticeable damage to the fanbase.  The last 10 years have been not fun.  Some of our most exciting basketball during the Wojo era was an NIT run.

Has nothing to do with what Wades said about other programs having great success in year two.

I guess Marquette is the only one of those mentioned that had to overcome a “stain”.

Idiots
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2022, 12:15:33 PM »
That says more about the MU fanbase than it does the program.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2022, 12:19:29 PM »

Bingo

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2022, 12:19:42 PM »

Maybe so.
VIOLENCE!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2022, 12:25:42 PM »
I don't like either of these matchups for Marquette this week and for a team that has struggled to close against good teams, I expect similar results in both games this week. 

Baylor by 10+
UW by 2 possessions
Will MU ever win a game again?
Goal is National Championship

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2022, 12:28:16 PM »
Will MU ever win a game again?

Yes. They will go 16 and 15.  If I could swap preseason picks I'd change UW to an L and Notre Dame to a W.
VIOLENCE!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2022, 01:18:09 PM »
Yes. They will go 16 and 15.  If I could swap preseason picks I'd change UW to an L and Notre Dame to a W.
COLE
Goal is National Championship

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2022, 01:24:48 PM »
I don't like either of these matchups for Marquette this week and for a team that has struggled to close against good teams, I expect similar results in both games this week. 

Baylor by 10+
UW by 2 possessions

You havent liked a match up all season
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2022, 01:28:38 PM »
You havent liked a match up all season

I like the matchups against NCCU and Notre Dame.
VIOLENCE!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2022, 01:49:27 PM »
Pretty sure he’s said we’re going to lose every game

Are we sure they is a he?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2022, 02:07:58 PM »

Watching Purdue, I can see how good of a coach Matt Painter is. Watching North Carolina, Kentucky and Alabama I see coaches who win by having a lot of talent. MU has less talent than all of these teams. Watching how often Jones and Joplin throw up questionable shots, I am not sure Shaka is a good offensive coach.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2022, 02:13:00 PM »
If we keep this to within 10 I'll be happy.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2022, 03:41:43 PM »
Why must you always speak from this place of cringey sanctimoniousness.

"MU fans don't have the stomach to endure 10 years of painful mediocrity then turn around and sell out an NBA arena on a Tuesdsay night for another mediocre-looking squad? Bad fans!  Except for me, Tower, who is one of the goodest fans!  So good, in fact, that I wanted to keep the currently unemployed Steve Wojo indefinitely! More fans should be like me!"

The program is obligated to excite its fanbase, not the other way around - never misunderstand that point.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2022, 03:56:08 PM »
King of the MOPES.     Woe is me.   My alma mater's basketball team is not meeting my expectations.   And my self worth is tied up in the performance of young student athletes I don't know.    It is MU's  obligation to perform like I want them to and therefore validate and enhance my sense if self worth.

And anybody who says differently isn't a real fan.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2022, 04:03:47 PM »
King of the MOPES.     Woe is me.   My alma mater's basketball team is not meeting my expectations.   And my self worth is tied up in the performance of young student athletes I don't know.    It is MU's  obligation to perform like I want them to and therefore validate and enhance my sense if self worth.

And anybody who says differently isn't a real fan.
I don't think you understood my post at all.  I'm justifying the lack of enthusiasm of the fanbase, generally.  In terms that may be easier for you to understand - "I get it".  Casual fans owe the basketball program nothing.

Continue to project, as you do.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2022, 04:16:43 PM »
Speaking of not getting it.   I have been far less critical of Shaka than I was of Wojo during the same stretch of his stay at MU.

I wanted him to succeed.   I want every coach at MU to succeed.  His success was MU's success.   

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2022, 04:17:42 PM »
The fanbase is fine. People need to stop worrying about such nonsense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow