[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Purdue Preview  (Read 12050 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Purdue Preview
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2022, 07:03:00 AM »
Edey is a match up problem for most teams.   Pressure, speed them up, don't commit dumb fouls when he does get the ball under the basket, shoot lights out from 3.

Simple. 
 ;D

We have the speed advantage for sure.  Gotta get the 3-Ball cooking from multiple players and spots.  We shouldn't try to dunk over Edey but he can be attacked if we're smart. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2022, 07:18:44 AM »
Get Edsey in foul trouble.
He isn't a problem if he is sitting on the bench.

With a little home cooking Oso will be in the boiler before Edsey is in the talons of a Golden Eagle.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2022, 07:53:14 AM »
I'm not sure we're going to get much of a scouting report today during Purdue's match-up with the Peay.  The glass/2nd shots is the big concern  Tuesday.  Can we force Edey into a bunch of turns with hard doubles?   He's gonna be difficult to keep off the block.

Hope they get massive diarrhea before the game
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2022, 10:50:38 AM »
Edey has added noticeable weight.

Not sure if they had any guys out or not, but Purdue struggled the 1st 10 minutes against UW-Milwaukee's pressure. If they had their full roster available and what I saw is who they are, then I think it is safe to say Marquette has the speed and athleticism advantage by a wide margin.

Edey will be a problem on the glass but he will have a hard time staying on the court if Marquette makes it a track meet and he won't be able to stay in front of Oso.

Should be a fun early test.

UPDATE: Found some game footage
https://youtu.be/GNWrQBrDpAo
VIOLENCE!

panda

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2022, 11:49:48 AM »
Mackey is really, really, really tough place to play. This will be the prove it game for the point center Oso. Keep Edey away from the basket and get him to places he's uncomfortable.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2022, 12:08:20 PM »
Edey has added noticeable weight.

Not sure if they had any guys out or not, but Purdue struggled the 1st 10 minutes against UW-Milwaukee's pressure. If they had their full roster available and what I saw is who they are, then I think it is safe to say Marquette has the speed and athleticism advantage by a wide margin.

Edey will be a problem on the glass but he will have a hard time staying on the court if Marquette makes it a track meet and he won't be able to stay in front of Oso.

Should be a fun early test.

UPDATE: Found some game footage
https://youtu.be/GNWrQBrDpAo

Can we get the dude into foul trouble?  I just decided I've had enough with Edey.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2022, 12:08:31 PM »
Oso, 215 lbs
Edsey, 295 lbs

80 lbs difference.
Run Forest Run!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2022, 12:11:14 PM »
Oso needs to work on his Brad Davison falling over skills.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2022, 12:19:20 PM »
Ross, Omax, Itejere, Wrightsil and Joplin need to take it to Edsey and keep Gold and Oso tag teaming with sprinting up and down the court.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2022, 12:26:53 PM »
Ross, Omax, Itejere, Wrightsil and Joplin need to take it to Edsey

I disagree. If those guys take it into his body it's gonna get blocked or a miss. Have to try to get him into switches, if he's going to be in foul trouble it's gonna be when he has to chase and contests shots from behind.

My worry isn't so much about Edey as Marquette's defense covering the corners, particularly on the weakside. That has been open a lot these two games, and it's not so much the open threes as the ability to attack a closeout and put the defense in motion.

I'll be thrilled if they win but expect a 8-12 point loss.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2022, 12:39:19 PM »

not the reach around nut punch though
don't...don't don't don't don't

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2022, 12:40:44 PM »
I actually like Marquette's roster and on paper this looks very winnable.

Problem is Painter is a great coach, Road games are tough, and Marquette just doesn't beat Purdue.

Edey only averaged 19 Minutes Per Game last year and likely won't be much over that this year because he just cant move up and down. Helps that he plays in the BIG Ten but Marquette should be able to make some things work.

1) Can Marquette defend as a team?
2) Can Marquette get the loose balls?
3) Can Marquette move the ball and hit open shots?

If those 3 boxes are checked for a good part of the 40 minutes then there will be an opportunity for the game to be won.
VIOLENCE!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2022, 12:51:06 PM »
Marquette will try to play fast and Purdue will try to play slow.

Whoever does this more effectively will win.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2022, 12:52:35 PM »
Willie will probably post after this game
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2022, 01:41:38 PM »
Willie will probably post after this game
20 pt loss
Goal is National Championship

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2022, 02:07:54 PM »
Edey is a known problem inside and on the glass - we'll need to hit our outside shots and/or score quickly in transition to avoid his influence.

I also think we'll have a tough time dealing with their length at guard.  It's possible that they'll put Ethan Morton on Kolek to disrupt anything that we try to get going in the half court. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2022, 04:44:42 PM »
I don’t think Edey will have trouble staying on the floor.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2022, 05:20:38 PM »
Oso, 215 lbs
Edsey, 295 lbs

80 lbs difference.
Run Forest Run!

Weight doesn't mean automatic success on the court but that's quite a disparity.  Bill Russell would run him to death?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2022, 05:27:36 PM »
I think the first goal on defense is to try to deny Edey the ball. Purdue has young, inexperienced guards that aren't accustomed to pressure. Turn up the pressure, especially when Oso isn't in. When he does get the ball, double him immediately and try to force him to give it up. He's not as good a passer as Trevion Williams was. Don't get me wrong, Edey will likely get his, but he could have a career high and we could still win if he has to work for it.

On offense, we need to get him in pick and roll. He doesn't have the speed or mobility and has already been shown to be a liability against PnR. Don't go at him, but force him to be a secondary defender and shot blocker. That's where you can get him in foul trouble.

Last, control tempo on both ends. On offense, attack fast and get him scrambling, then beat him back door. On defense, harry them in the back court to take 8-12 seconds off the shot clock, then defend like mad to put them into short shot clock situations, and be prepared to defend for 40-50 seconds because they will get some offensive rebounds.

I think we win this game.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2022, 05:33:41 PM »
I think the first goal on defense is to try to deny Edey the ball. Purdue has young, inexperienced guards that aren't accustomed to pressure. Turn up the pressure, especially when Oso isn't in. When he does get the ball, double him immediately and try to force him to give it up. He's not as good a passer as Trevion Williams was. Don't get me wrong, Edey will likely get his, but he could have a career high and we could still win if he has to work for it.

On offense, we need to get him in pick and roll. He doesn't have the speed or mobility and has already been shown to be a liability against PnR. Don't go at him, but force him to be a secondary defender and shot blocker. That's where you can get him in foul trouble.

Last, control tempo on both ends. On offense, attack fast and get him scrambling, then beat him back door. On defense, harry them in the back court to take 8-12 seconds off the shot clock, then defend like mad to put them into short shot clock situations, and be prepared to defend for 40-50 seconds because they will get some offensive rebounds.

Do you think our press will be effective Brew?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2022, 05:43:29 PM »

I think we certainly can win this game, but Marquette has beaten Purdue just once and never won at Purdue.

Definitely winnable, probably not likely.
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2022, 05:47:01 PM »
First road game of the year? At Mackey? 15 point loss seems about right.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2022, 05:48:32 PM »
Do you think our press will be effective Brew?

I do. If we played this game in December, probably not as much. If we played it in March, almost certainly less so. But one week into the season when Purdue's point guard options are a converted 6'7" wing that turns it over a ton and two freshmen who've never faced this level of pressure, I like our odds.

In addition, Painter's teams thrive on consistency. They almost always figure it out by conference play, but non-con is a different story. When they are top-100 in minutes continuity, they are awesome in non-con, going 69-7 (.908 WP) . When they are outside the top-100, they are mediocre, going 75-34 (.688 WP). As many of those are buy games (including some they've lost) they are far less intimidating when their minutes continuity is sub-100. At the moment, they are ranked #170 nationally and will certainly be ranked outside the top-100 this year because they simply don't bring back much beyond Edey.

Painter's system is tough to pick up. It takes new players a couple months to get it. They usually get it by the end of the year, which is why they are always competitive in the Big 10, but right now is the exact time to catch them. It's when a young Painter team is most vulnerable.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2022, 05:55:33 PM »
I do. If we played this game in December, probably not as much. If we played it in March, almost certainly less so. But one week into the season when Purdue's point guard options are a converted 6'7" wing that turns it over a ton and two freshmen who've never faced this level of pressure, I like our odds.

In addition, Painter's teams thrive on consistency. They almost always figure it out by conference play, but non-con is a different story. When they are top-100 in minutes continuity, they are awesome in non-con, going 69-7 (.908 WP) . When they are outside the top-100, they are mediocre, going 75-34 (.688 WP). As many of those are buy games (including some they've lost) they are far less intimidating when their minutes continuity is sub-100. At the moment, they are ranked #170 nationally and will certainly be ranked outside the top-100 this year because they simply don't bring back much beyond Edey.

Painter's system is tough to pick up. It takes new players a couple months to get it. They usually get it by the end of the year, which is why they are always competitive in the Big 10, but right now is the exact time to catch them. It's when a young Painter team is most vulnerable.

Fair points.  Clearly we need to shoot the triple at a decent clip.  My concerns are the glass and them owning the paint.  Maybe they'll kick the ball away like Illinois did last year?  Certainly it's a tough game for us to win but I would go with difficult/not impossible. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2022, 06:23:13 PM »
Purdue leads Austin Peay 13-10 with 10:00 to go in the 1st half.

Edey is 4-4, the guy he is guarding is 4-5 with all 10 of Austin Peay's points.
VIOLENCE!

feedback