[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best “Fast” Food  (Read 5950 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: Best “Fast” Food
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2022, 12:00:16 PM »
Not bad, but here's my counter argument: Order better.

I almost never use 3rd party delivery because if the restaurant is doing it themselves, they're invested in me liking their food. Johnny Uber doesn't care because if the food is trash, I'll Uber from somewhere next time.

I also know my local go-to's. Some are good for delivery. Some are good but only off-peak times. Some are strictly pick up so there's no delay in getting it to my house. And yeah, most fried food and seafood is no go.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2022, 02:04:44 PM »
In my entire life, can count on one hand the number of times I have had food delivered. Even pizza.

If I do carryout instead, I have more control over the temperature the food is by the time I get it home.

Plus I am cheap. Why pay a delivery fee and a tip when all I would be doing otherwise is sitting at home waiting for the food to be delivered?
Have some patience, FFS.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2022, 02:15:27 PM »
In my entire life, can count on one hand the number of times I have had food delivered. Even pizza.

If I do carryout instead, I have more control over the temperature the food is by the time I get it home.

Plus I am cheap. Why pay a delivery fee and a tip when all I would be doing otherwise is sitting at home waiting for the food to be delivered?

So you can get hammered at home waiting for the food to be delivered.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2022, 03:01:58 PM »
So you can get hammered at home waiting for the food to be delivered.

+12(oz).

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2022, 03:24:59 PM »
A take home method for fried foods is the next great American accomplishment.

It's a challenge for sure. I think the most effective method is dependent on the actual food.  For example, fries can be re-fried with an air-fryer (or if you have a spider) and perhaps fried mushrooms, zucchini, onions,, etc.  But you cannot air-fry fried chicken or wings.  I also think the grease poses a challenge for re-frying so the way you store it in the fridge matters. 

I'm guessing a toaster oven with high heat works the best but I think a conventional oven with a rack on a cookie sheet, at like 400 degrees for 15 mins, is what has worked for me with fried chicken.  Lastly, always bring the chicken up to room temperature before popping in the oven.  Things like Crab Rangoon, egg rolls, samosas, etc, I really don't have an answer.  The whole point is the crispness and when it's gone or soggy it's traumatic. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2022, 04:31:12 PM »
It's a challenge for sure. I think the most effective method is dependent on the actual food.  For example, fries can be re-fried with an air-fryer (or if you have a spider) and perhaps fried mushrooms, zucchini, onions,, etc.  But you cannot air-fry fried chicken or wings.  I also think the grease poses a challenge for re-frying so the way you store it in the fridge matters. 

I'm guessing a toaster oven with high heat works the best but I think a conventional oven with a rack on a cookie sheet, at like 400 degrees for 15 mins, is what has worked for me with fried chicken.  Lastly, always bring the chicken up to room temperature before popping in the oven.  Things like Crab Rangoon, egg rolls, samosas, etc, I really don't have an answer.  The whole point is the crispness and when it's gone or soggy it's traumatic.
What kind of communist reheats fried chicken?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2022, 06:52:56 AM »
"I know he likes fast food, so I asked him, Chick-fil-A or Popeyes, and he told me he hasn't had Popeyes yet. So I said, ‘No, you've got to have Popeyes, I think it's better than Chick-fil-A.’"

-- Rory McIlroy, recounting his conversation with PGA breakout star Tom Kim, to Golf Digest.

I totally agree with McIlroy. Reminds me that I'm long overdue for another Popeyes chicken sandwich!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2022, 09:54:37 AM »
Popeyes definitely better but I wish Popeyes had the consistency and quality control between locations that Chick-fila has.  They really are superb at training and QC
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2022, 10:07:51 AM »
Popeyes definitely better but I wish Popeyes had the consistency and quality control between locations that Chick-fila has.  They really are superb at training and QC

That's a good point. I've been to a couple of bad Popeyes, but every Chik-fil-A has pretty much been the same.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2022, 10:20:54 AM »
Going to Popeyes is like watching Norm Macdonald standup.  It can be slow, awkward, and in the middle of it you're wondering if it was a good idea.  But the quality is always worth it and when its over you feel like it was a fulfilling labor of love.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2022, 10:26:45 AM »

This. I know exactly what to expect every time I go to Chic-Fil-A and it is always really good. Also, no one manages a long line as well as Chic-Fil-A. Popeye's is a crapshoot. A well managed Popeye's will beat any Chic-Fil-A. But there have been multiple times where I've gone to a Popeye's and have had some sort issue. Either super long waits, cold food, warm soda, or in one unfortunate case all three. I have also had multiple times where I've been told that they don't have any chicken sandwiches...even if its at the start of the day. I was once told that they hadn't made any chicken sandwiches yet. So I asked them to make one for me and the response was that they just weren't going to make any sandwiches today.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2022, 10:33:37 AM »
I was once told that they hadn't made any chicken sandwiches yet. So I asked them to make one for me and the response was that they just weren't going to make any sandwiches today.

The customer is always wrong!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2022, 10:41:44 AM »
Chick-Fil-A is better than Popeyes in every way imaginable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2022, 10:43:54 AM »
JJ's chicken & fish or Harold's
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2022, 11:06:35 AM »
Chick-Fil-A is better than Popeyes in every way imaginable.

I can’t imagine your comment is true on Sundays

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2022, 11:08:34 AM »
I can’t imagine your comment is true on Sundays

Popeye's fried chicken sandwich is only better than Chik-fil-A's on the days ending in "y."

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2022, 11:30:15 AM »
The Popeyes at national and Cesar Chavez Dr always hit the spot. That was steadily in the rotation during my MU days 
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2022, 09:20:30 AM »
The Athletic ran a reader poll to determine the best fried chicken sandwich. Here's the result:

Just over 65 percent of you chose Popeyes as your preferred fried chicken restaurant over Chick-fil-A, correctly aligning yourself with Pulse leadership and others of fine taste out there. Carry on.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2022, 02:59:20 PM »
Sam’s Club just reduced the Hot Dog Combo to $1.38!! Lunch is on me, guyz!!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2022, 03:31:07 PM »
I left a few options off my most disgusting fast food:

1) The Krystal -- Anyone who has lived in the mid-south knows Krystal. It is a horrible rip-off of an already bad White Castle, which, by the way, is terrible. The Krystal should be shut down on principle. Its food is bad going on ptomaine inflicting.

2) Krispy Kreme -- Another mid-south favorite that sadly has more lives than a cat. This chain was something I loved as a kid -- and then my taste buds developed. What I learned was lard-soaked, fried bread can only be a delicacy in a place like Nashville. KK has been bankrupt almost as many times as Donald Trump.

3) George Webb's -- I guess somebody has to like it. I just don't know who.

4) Maid Rite -- Not many Scoopers probably know about Maid Rite. It's the Iowa version of Real Chili -- a place people go to sober up after a long night of alcohol consumption. I guess if your state is the number one consumer of Busch Beer in the known universe, Maid Rite tastes good. That's Iowa for you. We had one next door to us in the first apartment Ms. Dgies and I rented after we were married. It was in the Quad Cities and it was -20 one night when some woman named Debbie and her boyfriend had a fight (probably over going to Maid Rite). She locked him out of the car after the 3 a.m., closing of Maid Rite and, after he called her a bitch, drove off. That's Maid Rite's customer base!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2022, 03:43:32 PM »

1) The Krystal -- Anyone who has lived in the mid-south knows Krystal. It is a horrible rip-off of an already bad White Castle, which, by the way, is terrible. The Krystal should be shut down on principle. Its food is bad going on ptomaine inflicting.

2) Krispy Kreme -- Another mid-south favorite that sadly has more lives than a cat. This chain was something I loved as a kid -- and then my taste buds developed. What I learned was lard-soaked, fried bread can only be a delicacy in a place like Nashville. KK has been bankrupt almost as many times as Donald Trump.

4) Maid Rite -- Not many Scoopers probably know about Maid Rite. It's the Iowa version of Real Chili -- a place people go to sober up after a long night of alcohol consumption. I guess if your state is the number one consumer of Busch Beer in the known universe, Maid Rite tastes good. That's Iowa for you. We had one next door to us in the first apartment Ms. Dgies and I rented after we were married. It was in the Quad Cities and it was -20 one night when some woman named Debbie and her boyfriend had a fight (probably over going to Maid Rite). She locked him out of the car after the 3 a.m., closing of Maid Rite and, after he called her a bitch, drove off. That's Maid Rite's customer base!

Krispy Kreme is phenomenal for the first 5 minutes after you get them, good for the first hour or 2, and then really bad after that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2022, 03:51:27 PM »

George Webb is best savored at 2:30 am after having knocked back 5-6 Schlitz tall boys. Lay in 3 greasy eggs; bacon; hash browns; and toast.

That is a good night out.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2022, 04:26:38 PM »

Krispy Kreme is also good for having people create a Krispy Kreme cheeseburger, with Krispy Kreme donuts in lieu of a bun.  This helps identify disgusting people who should be avoided at all costs and be saddled with insurance premiums that subsidize many other people with conditions through no fault of their own.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2022, 04:42:30 PM »
Unpopular opinion but I think Portillos is awful. Every single thing is vastly overrated, their hot dog, beef, burger, polish everyone raves about it but there's a bunch mom and pop places and local chains that I can think of which are better. Don't understand that place's cult like following

Add Rosatti's, Giardano's and Lou's as well.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2022, 04:56:50 PM »
Unpopular opinion but I think Portillos is awful. Every single thing is vastly overrated, their hot dog, beef, burger, polish everyone raves about it but there's a bunch mom and pop places and local chains that I can think of which are better. Don't understand that place's cult like following

Add Rosatti's, Giardano's and Lou's as well.

At least 3 of those were MUCH better before they sold off from original owners and expanded outside chicagoland