Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre  (Read 3315 times)

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
Favre
« on: September 28, 2022, 11:22:02 PM »
The more that comes out the clearer it becomes he is a genuinely despicable person. I never had much of a tie to Wisconsin so for folks who were around in the 90s and 00s—did he have a local reputation for being a scumbag (like Big Ben had in Pittsburgh)?

I knew he could be attention-hogging and maybe a jerk sometimes, but had no idea he was such a bad guy.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Favre
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 11:45:27 PM »
The more that comes out the clearer it becomes he is a genuinely despicable person. I never had much of a tie to Wisconsin so for folks who were around in the 90s and 00s—did he have a local reputation for being a scumbag (like Big Ben had in Pittsburgh)?

I knew he could be attention-hogging and maybe a jerk sometimes, but had no idea he was such a bad guy.

Yes. He (along with Mark Chmura) was known far and wide as a dirtbag. But like most team's fans, Packers fans just looked the other way.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 05:37:07 AM »

Yes.  The myth of the man never matched the truth.  Once a dirtbag, always a dirtbag.  The stories of him in Milwaukee aren’t heroic unless you like him commandeering bar bathrooms for his pleasure.

His running mate was Chmura as mentioned and Chmura was a bigger donkey. 
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 05:49:48 AM »
Yes.  The myth of the man never matched the truth.  Once a dirtbag, always a dirtbag.  The stories of him in Milwaukee aren’t heroic unless you like him commandeering bar bathrooms for his pleasure.

A lot of the 90s era Packers were dirtbags.

When Edgar Bennett retired from playing, the organization brought him back to a new position to basically babysit the players.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 07:56:04 AM »
From 2018-2020, Brett Favre’s charitable foundation, Favre 4 Hope, which has a stated mission to support disadvantaged children and cancer patients, donated more than $130,000 to the University of Southern Mississippi Athletic Foundation during the same years that Favre was working to finance a new volleyball center at the school.

Throw in the drugs, drinking, and womanizing and you get the true essence of the man.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 09:23:33 AM »

Yea, stories of him, Chmura, and Frank Winters setting up shop at the back of the bar and making the bathroom private for their use are legendary.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 09:42:56 AM »
Wasn’t, maybe he still is, Chmura a landlord on campus? I thought he had houses at 16 and kilborn?
Bring back FFP!!!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 10:08:22 AM »
Wasn’t, maybe he still is, Chmura a landlord on campus? I thought he had houses at 16 and kilborn?

He married into the Goff auto body repair business

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 10:21:30 AM »
swoopem

I do not know about Churma owning property on MU campus, but Sal Bando's kid was my son's landlord.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2022, 11:41:57 AM »
Young, wealthy pro athletes with virtually unlimited access to women.

Stop the presses.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 11:53:01 AM »

Stop the presses.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it should be published...but it is dirtbag behavior.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 12:15:57 PM »
From 2018-2020, Brett Favre’s charitable foundation, Favre 4 Hope, which has a stated mission to support disadvantaged children and cancer patients, donated more than $130,000 to the University of Southern Mississippi Athletic Foundation during the same years that Favre was working to finance a new volleyball center at the school.

Throw in the drugs, drinking, and womanizing and you get the true essence of the man.

Stealing from your cancer charity is a time-honored tradition in some circles.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 12:20:59 PM »

Stop the presses.

Let’s just say it wasn’t always consensual

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 12:27:28 PM »
Stealing from your cancer charity is a time-honored tradition in some circles.

To be fair, nothing he did in this instance is illegal. His foundation made gifts to the "USM Athletic Foundation," along with a number of other 501(c)(3) organizations.  It most certainly is unethical that he said he was going to use it to support one cause and ended up giving support to another.  But he didn't violate any laws here.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2022, 12:45:36 PM »

To be fair, nothing he did in this instance is illegal. His foundation made gifts to the "USM Athletic Foundation," along with a number of other 501(c)(3) organizations.  It most certainly is unethical that he said he was going to use it to support one cause and ended up giving support to another.  But he didn't violate any laws here.

🙄

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 12:55:34 PM »
🙄

I mean...I guess. But Favre wasn't "stealing" from his cancer charity.

Look, we can admit the guy was a dirtbag and participated in the mis-appropriation of welfare funds in a way that is likely illegal, but let's not exaggerate here. It was a private foundation that donated $$ to a charitable organization that wasn't consistent with its stated purpose. Not exactly earth-shattering.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2022, 12:56:00 PM »

Look, we can admit the guy was a dirtbag and participated in the mis-appropriation of welfare funds in a way that is likely illegal, but let's not exaggerate here. It was a private foundation that donated $$ to a charitable organization that wasn't consistent with its stated purpose. Not exactly earth-shattering.

🙄

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2022, 01:03:15 PM »
Reminiscent of the $10 million lawsuit filed earlier this month against Mr. Shalomyah Bowers, an executive of the BLM Foundation, alleging , among other things, that Mr. Bowers had siphoned off $10 million from donors and dubiuosly misapplied the funds.

Man, if you can't trust Brett Favre and BLM, who can you trust??

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2022, 01:05:52 PM »

Is it also "OK" that his charity gave to a high school his daughter played volleyball for?

The donations, identified in public records filed by the foundation, also include more than $60,000 to the Oak Grove High School Booster Club, to assist with the construction of an athletic facility.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2022, 01:14:28 PM »

Depending on the circumstances under which the donated money was given, it could be fraud. If the foundation solicited these funds stating it would be for a specific use, or the donor gave it with instructions that it be used for a specific purpose, then Favre could be in trouble here.
Not that anyone in Mississippi would be eager to prosecute.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2022, 01:15:55 PM »
Is it also "OK" that his charity gave to a high school his daughter played volleyball for?

What do you mean "OK?" A quick search shows that the "Oak Grove High School Booster Club" is a legitimate 501(c)(3) organization. In 2014 they received that designation by the IRS and files taxes and everything. So it is perfectly legal for the Favre charitable foundation to make donations to that organization.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2022, 01:16:59 PM »
Reminiscent of the $10 million lawsuit filed earlier this month against Mr. Shalomyah Bowers, an executive of the BLM Foundation, alleging , among other things, that Mr. Bowers had siphoned off $10 million from donors and dubiuosly misapplied the funds.

That’s relavent to this topic? 

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2022, 01:21:15 PM »
Depending on the circumstances under which the donated money was given, it could be fraud. If the foundation solicited these funds stating it would be for a specific use, or the donor gave it with instructions that it be used for a specific purpose, then Favre could be in trouble here.
Not that anyone in Mississippi would be eager to prosecute.

I can pretty much guaranty you that no private foundation has ever faced fraud charges by making gifts to one type of charity instead of another.  I am not saying it can't happen, and may actually be more of a civil case than a criminal one, but the Foundation is making legal gifts to not-for-profit entities.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2022, 01:22:36 PM »

Not even remotely similar.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2022, 01:32:27 PM »

I can pretty much guaranty you that no private foundation has ever faced fraud charges by making gifts to one type of charity instead of another.  I am not saying it can't happen, and may actually be more of a civil case than a criminal one, but the Foundation is making legal gifts to not-for-profit entities.

I'm not going to spend the time researching this, at least not now, but the circumstances here are so unique that you're not likely to find a comparable case. Again, I doubt anyone will be eager to prosecute here - in criminal or civil court - but it's indisputable that if a charity solicits funds for Reason A (helping poor kids) then spends that same money on Reason B (building a volleyball facility for a well-off school), that's considered misappropriation of funds.
To be clear, I have no idea how Favre's foundation solicited funds.