Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: View on death penalty from brother of Parkland victim  (Read 1511 times)

MU82

• All American
View on death penalty from brother of Parkland victim
« on: September 27, 2022, 12:33:33 PM »
His sister died in the Parkland massacre. He wants the gunman to live.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/09/27/parkland-school-shooting-trial-death-penalty/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F380a929%2F63331d84f3d9003c58f54a24%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F8%2F72%2F63331d84f3d9003c58f54a24&wp_cu=b1005792a416de1fbe1f17e5cf366b7d%7CB1FF71CA724A36FAE0530100007F88D6

Even 3,200 miles away in a new city, he struggled to avoid news out of the Fort Lauderdale courtroom where jurors will soon decide whether Cruz lives or dies. Since the proceedings began in July, they have reviewed nightmarish surveillance footage, toured bloodstained classrooms and heard, in clinical detail, how AR-15 bullets destroyed young bodies. Robert refused to watch, but when he thought about prosecutors mentioning Carmen, he got angry. Then he started typing.

“I have been dreading this phase of the trial for the last four and a half years,” he posted on Twitter. “Because this is the part where people will tell me that retribution will bring ‘justice’ and ‘healing’ to me and my family. This is the part where pundits on TV will invoke the name of my sister to support the murder of another human being.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
Re: View on death penalty from brother of Parkland victim
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 12:35:51 PM »
That's very kind.

There is no way this thread ends well.   C'mon, Mike.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 12:57:52 PM »
He’s a better person than I.
As someone who knows an ER doctor that treated the Parkland victims and heard a bit of the description of the carnage, I would like nothing more than to see the shooter fry.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 01:11:18 PM »
my wife and I differ on the death penalty. She's 100% for it, I think it should be used only when there is evidence beyond a reasonable doubt the accused perpetrated the crime. In this case, we're both on the same page and believe the shooter should be sentenced to death.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 01:22:30 PM »
my wife and I differ on the death penalty. She's 100% for it, I think it should be used only when there is evidence beyond a reasonable doubt the accused perpetrated the crime. In this case, we're both on the same page and believe the shooter should be sentenced to death.

Agree. I’m pretty on the fence and indifferent about it in general. Repealing that is a discussion for another day though. I don’t think this case would be the one to make an exception for. Personally, I think it’s kind of dumb since it’s 10-20 years before they are put to death anyway. The family really gets no closure either way.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 01:24:29 PM »
His sister died in the Parkland massacre. He wants the gunman to live.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/09/27/parkland-school-shooting-trial-death-penalty/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F380a929%2F63331d84f3d9003c58f54a24%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F8%2F72%2F63331d84f3d9003c58f54a24&wp_cu=b1005792a416de1fbe1f17e5cf366b7d%7CB1FF71CA724A36FAE0530100007F88D6

Even 3,200 miles away in a new city, he struggled to avoid news out of the Fort Lauderdale courtroom where jurors will soon decide whether Cruz lives or dies. Since the proceedings began in July, they have reviewed nightmarish surveillance footage, toured bloodstained classrooms and heard, in clinical detail, how AR-15 bullets destroyed young bodies. Robert refused to watch, but when he thought about prosecutors mentioning Carmen, he got angry. Then he started typing.

“I have been dreading this phase of the trial for the last four and a half years,” he posted on Twitter. “Because this is the part where people will tell me that retribution will bring ‘justice’ and ‘healing’ to me and my family. This is the part where pundits on TV will invoke the name of my sister to support the murder of another human being.”

I agree with what he says.

Of course, the gunman ‘deserves’ to die, but with the death penalty we all become murderers. Not worth it for a few moments of revenge.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 01:55:08 PM »
I agree with what he says.

Of course, the gunman ‘deserves’ to die, but with the death penalty we all become murderers. Not worth it for a few moments of revenge.

So being sentenced to death for such a heinous crime is revenge, not justice. I always thought life in prison without parole is a worse fate than death, but then there is aways a Governor or President granting a pardon. Regardless, a part of him will away be broken and nothing will bring her back.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 02:07:10 PM »
That's very kind.

There is no way this thread ends well.   C'mon, Mike.

I think people can maturely talk about an important topic.

For the record, I agree with the young man whose sister was killed. I like to think I would still agree with him if a loved one of mine had been killed, but it's not as easy to know how I would react if actually faced with such horror and sorrow. I hope that I -- and the rest of us here -- never have to find out.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 02:36:36 PM »
So being sentenced to death for such a heinous crime is revenge, not justice. I always thought life in prison without parole is a worse fate than death, but then there is aways a Governor or President granting a pardon. Regardless, a part of him will away be broken and nothing will bring her back.

Here we go. A pretend pro-lifer calling for death.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 02:46:53 PM »

Can we keep it civil?

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2022, 03:07:13 PM »
Eliminate the death penalty, it’s inhumane and courts have been proven to not always get it right.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 03:26:55 PM »
Can we keep it civil?

Is that rhetorical?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 03:40:02 PM »

Well, that didn't take long.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2022, 03:50:02 PM »

Beyond a reasonable doubt is the burden of proof for all convictions.

If what you say is true then you support capital punishment for all convictions, or you support convictions where the state proves guilt by some standard lower than beyond a reasonable doubt.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2022, 03:59:21 PM »
I embrace Catholic social teaching on the death penalty.    I acknowledge my imperfections for all Catholic social teaching.   But this one I embrace.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2022, 04:11:50 PM »
Does it deter violent crime?  Doubtful

Does it satiate the bloodlust of a society numbed by violence?  Probably

Eat at Arby’s
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2022, 04:17:04 PM »
The only compelling argument for the death penalty is retribution. And I'm not dismissing that... retribution feels good. It feels right. It feels like justice.
But other than that, what's the point? There's no evidence that it deters serious crime or murder. It typically costs taxpayers way more to execute someone than to lock them up for life. And there are literally dozens of cases in which a person sentenced to death has later been exonerated. It's a virtual guarantee that other innocent people haven't been so fortunate.

So, I guess it comes down to whether the feeling of retribution is worth supporting a costly, ineffective system that risks an innocent being murdered by the state in my name.
For me, it's not.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 04:18:55 PM by Pakuni »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2022, 04:19:33 PM »
In before this thread gets the death penalty.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2022, 04:23:33 PM »
In before this thread gets the death penalty.

I pray that the mods kill it in the most humane manner possible.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2022, 04:28:44 PM »
I am against the death penalty except for one very specific situation. If someone who has already received life in prison murders or attempts to murder someone else in prison. I may not be thinking about it logically, but my thought is that I don't like the idea of someone who has already received the worst possible punishment being given multiple chances to end someone else's life. The only other alternative I can think of is keeping a person like that in isolation but to me that is a crueler punishment than death.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2022, 08:01:46 PM »
I think people can maturely talk about an important topic.

For the record, I agree with the young man whose sister was killed. I like to think I would still agree with him if a loved one of mine had been killed, but it's not as easy to know how I would react if actually faced with such horror and sorrow. I hope that I -- and the rest of us here -- never have to find out.

very well said 82
don't...don't don't don't don't

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2022, 09:03:35 PM »
The only compelling argument for the death penalty is retribution. And I'm not dismissing that... retribution feels good. It feels right. It feels like justice.
But other than that, what's the point? There's no evidence that it deters serious crime or murder. It typically costs taxpayers way more to execute someone than to lock them up for life. And there are literally dozens of cases in which a person sentenced to death has later been exonerated. It's a virtual guarantee that other innocent people haven't been so fortunate.

So, I guess it comes down to whether the feeling of retribution is worth supporting a costly, ineffective system that risks an innocent being murdered by the state in my name.
For me, it's not.

These are precisely my sentiments. Very well laid out.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2022, 02:24:26 PM »
Where’s Jackie?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2022, 04:03:10 PM »
So your wife is 100% for it……but doesn’t need any evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to come to this conclusion??
She just wants it used more often?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2022, 04:10:46 PM »

For me, it's not.
yep. I am 100% against the death penalty. I don't like making the financial arguments, though, because pro death penalty people would argue that the state needs to speed up the time on "death row", or just throw them back in genpop to save $$.

feedback