Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: And Then Along Came Jones?  (Read 12367 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: And Then Along Came Jones?
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2022, 08:29:06 AM »
A year ago, the guy who would go on to be an all-league player was coming off a freshman season in which he averaged 7.8 ppg on .417 shooting, including .219 from 3-point range. The player who would become our other go-to guy was coming off a 4-year career at Maryland during which he averaged 8.7 ppg and shot .267 from 3.

In general, players at this level improve. Few of us have any idea how any of our players from last season (and also Wrightsil) have improved. Will one or more make a Lewis-level or at least Morsell-level jump?

Player development is a major part of Shaka's job. Given the way he's built the roster, one could argue that it's THE major part of his job. It will be interesting -- and, I think, lots of fun -- to see how well he's doing his job at getting his players to be better at doing their jobs.

And to get back to the OP ... given the praise Shaka has thrown Sean Jones' way, I expect him to be a real contributor for us this season. If that turns out to have been merely coach-speak ... that's fine, too, as long as those playing ahead of Sean have improved dramatically.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2022, 08:38:54 AM »
It's not just a major part of his job, he has staked his career at Marquette in making sure that actually happens.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2022, 08:48:45 AM »
It's not just a major part of his job, he has staked his career at Marquette in making sure that actually happens.

As I just said, "one could argue that it's THE major part of Shaka's job." And you did, indeed, just argue that. And I agree - that's why he gets the big bucks.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2022, 09:04:58 AM »
We were worried last year about where scoring was going to come from. And it worked out fine. Players and systems evolve. Shaka will eventually work out a rotation that will take advantage of this. IMO defense is going to be the larger issue this year. Kuath, Elliott and Morsell were all above average defenders and Justin was no slouch.

Was Elliott really an above-average defender?  He had experience and some length as a guard but I certainly didn't feel like he was a net positive on the defensive side of the ball.  And when his 3 point shot was not falling he did not seem to provide much value.  Maybe I'm way off-base there. 

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2022, 09:08:01 AM »
Was Elliott really an above-average defender?  He had experience and some length as a guard but I certainly didn't feel like he was a net positive on the defensive side of the ball.  And when his 3 point shot was not falling he did not seem to provide much value.  Maybe I'm way off-base there. 

He was a better defender than Kam. Now, if Kam steps up defensively, he will certainly be a better overall player. But defensively Elliott could still hold his own out there for stretches.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2022, 09:16:22 AM »

No, you're not off base at all.  Elliott was nowhere close to being an above average defender.  Both on and off the ball.  And you're also exactly right that he provided infinitesimal value when his 3-Ball went brick city.   The only reason Kam arguably was a worse defender is because that was his first year of college hoops. 

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2022, 09:20:41 AM »
Elliott was an above average off ball defender. He knew the system that Shaka was running and almost always made the proper rotation. He had issues on ball due to his physical limitations.

I believe that Kam will be better in the long-run. I don't know if he will get there this year.

Regardless, my point is that I am way more worried about defense than offense right now. We will get our points.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2022, 09:35:56 AM »

No, you're not off base at all.  Elliott was nowhere close to being an above average defender.  Both on and off the ball.  And you're also exactly right that he provided infinitesimal value when his 3-Ball went brick city.   The only reason Kam arguably was a worse defender is because that was his first year of college hoops.

Greg was not bad off the ball at all.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2022, 09:40:52 AM »
Greg defended well in 2019-2020.. Besides that he was pretty equal to Kam on that side of the ball.

He stayed will people off ball minutely better, but that is splitting hairs.

panda

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2022, 10:21:01 AM »
So it’s not good to use actual stats from games but it’s fine to recall what he did in high school and AAU?

Look I like his potential upside but really think he has a couple steps to take before he can be what you think he can.

Watching a guy play the full flow of a game is more valuable than looking into stats of the same guy only playing 5 minutes a game. Especially given the fact he was playing behind Lewis.

I would be in the wrong if he barely played his first two or three years and I was still talking about aau/hs film but it’s still pertinent now. We’ll see how it all shakes out once the season starts but I’m really excited to see what he can do with consistent playing time.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2022, 10:26:06 AM »
Truth is that neither Joplin nor K. Jones showed much defensively last year. Plus, Joplin showed very little inclination to rebound. Whether either of them can improve defensively is yet to be seen, but they are going to have to. If you cannot defend reasonably well, you are simply not going to get big minutes in Shaka's system. Those who think K. Jones will be a starter this year must have a lot more faith in his defensive improvement than I do.

Offensively, I share the concern that some have expressed. But, I have more faith that the offense will work itself out than the defense.

panda

• All American
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2022, 10:26:25 AM »
We were worried last year about where scoring was going to come from. And it worked out fine. Players and systems evolve. Shaka will eventually work out a rotation that will take advantage of this. IMO defense is going to be the larger issue this year. Kuath, Elliott and Morsell were all above average defenders and Justin was no slouch.

At lot of those scoring concerns were unwarranted and I said it repeatedly before the season last year.

It will be interesting to see what Shaka does with the lineup this season. Can kam and Joplin play on the floor together? It was ugly the few times they did it last year. Lots has been said about Kolek playing much better  off the ball, but Lewis and Morsell are both gone. Will he still get those good looks off the ball without two confident proven scorers?

Best case is Stevie becomes the steadying force playing extended minutes and Kolek solves his shooting woes which then allows for the untapped talent of our unproven guys to shine. Worst case can get ugly and will be significant issues on the offensive end which won’t be able to be masked on the defensive end after losing Kuath (great rim protecter), Morsell (great perimeter defender) and Lewis (proven rebounder).

panda

• All American
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2022, 10:36:15 AM »
Truth is that neither Joplin nor K. Jones showed much defensively last year. Plus, Joplin showed very little inclination to rebound. Whether either of them can improve defensively is yet to be seen, but they are going to have to. If you cannot defend reasonably well, you are simply not going to get big minutes in Shaka's system. Those who think K. Jones will be a starter this year must have a lot more faith in his defensive improvement than I do.

Offensively, I share the concern that some have expressed. But, I have more faith that the offense will work itself out than the defense.

I do wonder how much of the adversity to rebounding had to do with coaching instruction vs. desire. I could see Shaka trying to cover for Joplin’s half court defensive issues by telling him to fall back instead of crashing the glass.

Even still - not very good on the glass and something that will hopefully improve in extended minutes next year.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2022, 10:40:03 AM »
Elliott was an above average off ball defender. He knew the system that Shaka was running and almost always made the proper rotation. He had issues on ball due to his physical limitations.

I believe that Kam will be better in the long-run. I don't know if he will get there this year.

Regardless, my point is that I am way more worried about defense than offense right now. We will get our points.

I guess I just disagree with you and others about GE's defense.  But you're right, there is way more concern about our defense than our offense.  And potential rebounding woes and overall team toughness has been causing me some anxiety.  We have to find a way to rebound the ball and defend 1-5. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2022, 11:02:37 AM »
That starting 5 may not have a player who can get there own shot.  I think you need a little bit more O, so I would start Jones instead..  Can not defend the other
teams 2, pull him right away for Mitchell.  Then take out Wrightsil and bring in Jop or Gold for some more O.  Shaka has a lot of options this year.
We won't score 50 pts.
Goal is National Championship

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2022, 11:10:15 AM »
"they gave up 80 points" will be this year's "they will score in the 50's"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2022, 11:26:36 AM »
If I were in charge and everybody had progressed equally and was healthy....

I would start Kam over Stevie.    He can provide early offense.   Steve can come in and play either guard position and change the flow.

Likewise, I would bring Joplin off the bench.   Wrightsil and Omax can play either forward position.   Bring in Joplin when Kam comes out.   Because they can provide the same thing, but unless both have made significant strides, you really cannot play them together defensively.

Barring injury and foul trouble, I think Oso goes 28 mpg most night.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2022, 11:38:57 AM »
If I were in charge and everybody had progressed equally and was healthy....

I would start Kam over Stevie.    He can provide early offense.   Steve can come in and play either guard position and change the flow.

Likewise, I would bring Joplin off the bench.   Wrightsil and Omax can play either forward position.   Bring in Joplin when Kam comes out.   Because they can provide the same thing, but unless both have made significant strides, you really cannot play them together defensively.

Barring injury and foul trouble, I think Oso goes 28 mpg most night.

What do you expect from Oso in 28 mins?   He has a lot of skills.  Maybe everything comes together and he becomes a standout BEast 5?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2022, 11:41:06 AM »
What do you expect from Oso in 28 mins?   He has a lot of skills.  Maybe everything comes together and he becomes a standout BEast 5?

4 fouls
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

tower912

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2022, 11:41:17 AM »
Improvement.    He wasn't that far away last year. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2022, 11:43:25 AM »
4 fouls

He has to avoid ticky-tack fouls. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2022, 11:47:11 AM »
I expect there will be a set where the offense is initiated by giving him the ball just above the foul line and running motion off of that with him distributing the ball or taking the opposing 5 off the dribble.  A hint of Loyola under Moser with a more mobile high post.   

I doubt that will be the primary set, but I definitely think it will be in the toolbox.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2022, 11:52:42 AM »
G- Kolek
G- Mitchell
F- OMax
F- Oso

I think those are your 4 locks for starters. Mitchell is maybe penciled in, but he's an absolute leader and has grown physically. Defense 1st attitude is going to get him a ton of minutes and he just outworks everybody.  Kolek, OMax, and Oso are written in ink. LOCKS.

As far as the 5th guy I think it could go a bunch of different ways. If you recall last year, OMax was often guarding the opponents best player regardless of size. He guarded Gillespie and often pressured the ball handler. That allows MU to go big or small with that 5th starter.

If they want a crafty scorer then Kam. If they want some size and scoring then Joplin. Kam and Joplin do need growth defensively though so they may be best suited off the bench.  If they want true size with the ability to score from anywhere they could try Gold, but he is inexperienced. It wouldn't surprise me to see Sean Jones or Wrightsil as the 5th starter either.

Should be interesting to see where they turn for that 5th spot, but in my eyes Kolek, Mitchell, OMax, Oso seem to be pretty surefire.

My best guess if I had to...would be

Kolek
Mitchell
Jones
OMax
Oso

or

Kolek
Mitchell
OMax
Joplin
Oso

The reason I lean that route is because Wrightsil plays similarly to Oso but in a shorter wider frame so I anticipate their minutes won't overlap a crazy amount. The same with Kam and Joplin and their defensive deficiencies.  They likely won't overlap minutes for significant minutes either.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 12:03:23 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2022, 12:23:32 PM »
Shaka played O-Max 30 minutes in the first UConn game (12/21/21) and mostly stayed with O-Max as a key guy the rest of the way. During those 20 games (18 starts), he shot .513 overall and .366 from 3. He also hit 82% of his free throws over the entire season. So we're not talking about a brick-thrower. Assuming he has worked a lot on his shot during the offseason, he could be a real threat from the perimeter this season.

Oso shot .738 from the line; bigs don't do that unless they can shoot a little. Not sure whether Shaka will incorporate that into the offense at all. Will be interesting to see.

As others say, I think we'll score A-OK.

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2022, 12:33:07 PM »
I expect there will be a set where the offense is initiated by giving him the ball just above the foul line and running motion off of that with him distributing the ball or taking the opposing 5 off the dribble.  A hint of Loyola under Moser with a more mobile high post.   

I doubt that will be the primary set, but I definitely think it will be in the toolbox.

Yup.  Remember Nevada Smith worked under Spoelstra.  I expect to see some of the actions Miami runs with Bam with us using Oso in that spot.

feedback