[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Norman Commits  (Read 19715 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Norman Commits
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2022, 08:02:10 AM »
Over-recruiting is not the "new norm." It has gone on for years and years and years.

Years ago, Scoopers were talking about players getting Creaned and then Buzz-cut.

Both DJ Newbill and Aaron Durley were "cut" after signing their NLIs, but I don't believe that in either instance Marquette "oversigned."  Newbill was cut to make room for a Jamil transfer, and Durley just wasn't very good.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall MU being oversigned in at least 15 years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2022, 08:06:02 AM »
Over-recruiting is not the "new norm." It has gone on for years and years and years.

Years ago, Scoopers were talking about players getting Creaned and then Buzz-cut.

I'll concede your point, but in today's college basketball landscape it may become a necessity and that is not a bad thing.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2022, 08:39:25 AM »
Chit happens or as they say in da burbs, "items occur." Big boy basketball is big business. Sew any coach worth his weenie is gonna blast away until his best roster is in place, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2022, 08:45:26 AM »
Damian Saunders says 'remember me? '
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2022, 08:51:12 AM »
Damian Saunders says 'remember me? '

2007...so it meets my "at least 15 years" standard!   ;)

Were we oversigned when Buzz had the kid from Chicago who had some "burning issue" before ending up at Kansas State?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2022, 08:54:03 AM »
Were we oversigned when Buzz had the kid from Chicago who had some "burning issue" before ending up at Kansas State?

That was not a Buzz cutting. That was a Larry lancing. Newbill on the other hand
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2022, 08:56:04 AM »
Yeah, but as I said above, Newbill wasn't an oversigning issue.  Newbill was a "we want space for a Jamil transfer" issue.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2022, 08:56:22 AM »

2007...so it meets my "at least 15 years" standard!   ;)

Time flies.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2022, 09:01:00 AM »
It seems like Wojo was almost always undersigned waiting for a transfer that never occurred. Which is worse? Over signed with a reason or undersigned without one?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2022, 09:24:18 AM »
In this era of college hoops, the scholarships are one year contracts.  So in saying that, there’s 5 or 6 players that you can think of that might leave.  Not a problem, you will see in Feb. or March one kid will not see the court!
I have no problem, if a kid decides to leave on his own.
I have a big problem, if we have to drop somebody. It makes Shaka a hypocrite, since he emphasizes, we are family.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2022, 09:27:18 AM »

Both DJ Newbill and Aaron Durley were "cut" after signing their NLIs, but I don't believe that in either instance Marquette "oversigned."  Newbill was cut to make room for a Jamil transfer, and Durley just wasn't very good.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall MU being oversigned in at least 15 years.

Thanks for the info.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2022, 09:27:50 AM »

Buzz never let a scholarship go unused and the last one given was generally the first one gone the next year.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2022, 09:34:32 AM »
I have a big problem, if we have to drop somebody. It makes Shaka a hypocrite, since he emphasizes, we are family.

I’ll give Shaka the benefit of the doubt on this.  He knows something that we don’t know.  Someone had to let him know this is their last season. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2022, 09:50:01 AM »
I’ll give Shaka the benefit of the doubt on this.  He knows something that we don’t know.  Someone had to let him know this is their last season.

I have been thinking this as well. The team probably has a good idea of what is going on behind the scenes. We do not.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2022, 09:53:44 AM »

I mean, I'd kick some people out of my family...

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2022, 10:01:19 AM »
I mean, I'd kick some people out of my family...
I think you might be the first one voted off your family island   8-)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2022, 10:08:57 AM »
Nah, introverts never are, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2022, 10:15:55 AM »

Shaka absolutely is not a hypocrite. The work the he and his wife have done everywhere they have been has been on the highest of levels and more than legitimate. He wont take a transfer over a plyer who has worked his system for years. He was 100% told by the player that this is their last year.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2022, 10:24:06 AM »
I think you might be the first one voted off your family island   8-)

No doubt. That's why I never put it up for a vote.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2022, 10:38:12 AM »
No doubt. That's why I never put it up for a vote.
Same here.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2022, 10:56:20 AM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2022, 11:12:49 AM »

I don't think Shaka would accept having a player on his team that is already planning his exit.

I think by the end of the season it will be obvious to at least one player that he will never get significant minutes at Marquette and Shaka and staff will help him find a new program where he will excel. If that player would rather stay at Marquette, they will help that player get his tuition covered and he will be able to stay at Marquette but not be a part of the basketball roster. Players are entitled to a shot, not to minutes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2022, 11:17:34 AM »
I don't think Shaka would accept having a player on his team that is already planning his exit.

I think by the end of the season it will be obvious to at least one player that he will never get significant minutes at Marquette and Shaka and staff will help him find a new program where he will excel. If that player would rather stay at Marquette, they will help that player get his tuition covered and he will be able to stay at Marquette but not be a part of the basketball roster. Players are entitled to a shot, not to minutes.

Shaka is probably taking a different job and doesn’t care either way
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2022, 11:31:09 AM »

After reading this, I am walking back my comments on this. Your take makes a lot of sense.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2022, 11:32:57 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Blackheart link=topic=63570.msg1467308#msg1467308 date=
It seems like Wojo was almost always undersigned waiting for a transfer that never occurred. Which is worse? Over signed with a reason or undersigned without one?

To be fair, you actually needed the scholarship available to take a mid-year transfer because the player had to spend two semesters on campus before becoming eligible.  I didn't agree with that approach, but many here on the board thought holding a scholarship for a mid-year transfer was a great idea.

Now that we're in the age of insta-transfers, if a player leaves his team mid-year, he'll be eligible at his new school at the start of the next year without having to spend two semesters on campus.  There's no need to hold a scholarship for a mid-year transfer.

feedback