[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:23:08 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Norman Commits  (Read 19960 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Norman Commits
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2022, 04:02:40 PM »
I've been on Scoop many years. And this might be the 20th time that bilsu has threatened to no longer be a fan of Marquette basketball because of <insert reason here.>
I did not threaten to no longer be an MU fan.

As far as signing a more talented player the last two McDonald all-americans we (Wojo) signed did tto even get us to the NCAA tournament. Team chemistry matters.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2022, 04:18:27 PM »
I think you are reaching here, sultan.   Bilsu isn't going anywhere.   No need to pick this fight.

This signing is good enough news to silence the trolls.   
r

Yes, in 7 months something will have to give.   I am of the opinion that it will work itself out.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2022, 04:21:34 PM »
Heard Shaka is going to adopt one of the players.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2022, 04:24:37 PM »
It is not obvious. I like Shaka's attitude towards the team being a family. I have no idea , if someone is going to get cut. My comment was, if he does cut someone(and that is an unknown) then his we are family mantra is not true.

I like how he talked about Ellis in his review of this team's summer preparation. I do not remember it word for word, but he talked about how Ellis for the first time felt really wanted and how much Ellis loved Marquette. It sure would be a shame, if a player like this got his scholarship taken away.

Maybe, at my age, I am past trying to win at any cost. I want the MU program to have values and every indication is that Shaka does have values. This changes for me, if players do not matter.
Shaka is not cutting Ellis. Stop making up scenarios that just aren’t true.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2022, 04:51:11 PM »
I think you are reaching here, sultan.   Bilsu isn't going anywhere.   No need to pick this fight.

This signing is good enough news to silence the trolls.   
r
Yes, in 7 months something will have to give.   I am of the opinion that it will work itself out.

Agreed.  Of course it will work itself out.  It’s probably already worked out.  If it’s not, the least talented player will be gently pushed out the door.  Or the most talented player will go pro.  Or the smartest player will transfer to Stanford, Harvard, etc.

Sounds like a great get by Shaka.  Really like his attitude.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2022, 04:53:21 PM »

Tre Smart has a nice ring to it.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2022, 04:55:20 PM »
Tre Smart has a nice ring to it.

Oso Smart FTW.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2022, 04:57:13 PM »
Oso Smart FTW.

Oso is shopping NIL deals in Texas 👀
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2022, 04:57:17 PM »

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2022, 05:00:25 PM »
Why just one?  What's the limit on player adoptions by head coaches?

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2022, 07:23:53 PM »
Oh my God! We have 14 players and 13 scholarships. What are we going to do? I'll tell you. I'll sit down with that guy playing last chair trumpet in the band and ask him to accept the fact that he's isn't going to get any playing time. And he'd be better off coming off the bench in Madison. My friend was a freshman point guard on the 2003 team and when Wes Matthews came in he knew he wasn't going to be in the situation he expected when he joined the team. He left. Did he get Creaned? Yes. But he understood that teams are built on talent. He never held a grudge. And why would he?  Sports and life are all about competition. Nothing is guaranteed. Not even a scholarship to MU. I will help you move on but I can't be expected to wring my hands and keep you on the team when I'm trying to build a team that needs better players. And you don't have the talent to help us do that. Now that I've said this I have to apologize to my friend Brandon Bell for suggesting that he played last chair trumpet. He'll forgive me. He knows he wasn't as good as his brother Charlie. But he will always cherish that year.  And the final four. It was priceless.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2022, 07:34:33 PM »
Why just one?  What's the limit on player adoptions by head coaches?

Shaka and his twelve apostles

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2022, 08:18:47 PM »
Shaka and his twelve apostles

The Shaka Smart Home for Kids Who Play Basketball Good and Who Wanna Learn to do Other Stuff Good Too.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2022, 08:39:56 PM »
He was odd man out when DJ did not go pro.   Crean chose Hazel over him.   Yes, the marijuana thing was the official cause, but he was #14.   So, it was as good a reason as any.   

No, weed wasn’t it. SAT issue. Crean wanted Saunders over Hazel but Saunders made TC’s choice easy.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2022, 09:06:18 PM »
You guys are wrong about this. The last guy is not getting cut. Don’t get me wrong….there may be a player unhappy at the end of this year and decide to go elsewhere. That is not the scholarship that is available to Tre now.
One of the top 8 players this year will not be back next year. He told Shaka his intentions.
Save this thread for the spring.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2022, 09:22:10 PM »
Oh my God! We have 14 players and 13 scholarships. What are we going to do? I'll tell you. I'll sit down with that guy playing last chair trumpet in the band and ask him to accept the fact that he's isn't going to get any playing time. And he'd be better off coming off the bench in Madison. My friend was a freshman point guard on the 2003 team and when Wes Matthews came in he knew he wasn't going to be in the situation he expected when he joined the team. He left. Did he get Creaned? Yes. But he understood that teams are built on talent. He never held a grudge. And why would he?  Sports and life are all about competition. Nothing is guaranteed. Not even a scholarship to MU. I will help you move on but I can't be expected to wring my hands and keep you on the team when I'm trying to build a team that needs better players. And you don't have the talent to help us do that. Now that I've said this I have to apologize to my friend Brandon Bell for suggesting that he played last chair trumpet. He'll forgive me. He knows he wasn't as good as his brother Charlie. But he will always cherish that year.  And the final four. It was priceless.

Brandon Bell came in the fall of 2003 with Mason and ManChild

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2022, 07:12:51 AM »

Ha, I also hung out with Brandon a handful of times.  Super nice, chill dude.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2022, 07:56:23 AM »
Wuz dat aisle 2 or aisle 3 at Pick & Save, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2022, 09:29:43 AM »
My understanding is that if a scholarship player were to be cut but wanted to stay at Marquette, arrangements would be made so that their tuition would be covered. Most basketball players good enough to get a scholarship at Marquette would rather transfer somewhere where they will get minutes.

So if they stayed at MU, tuition was covered but not on scholarship and could not play basketball or any other sport for that matter while getting their undergraduate degree do those years count against their eligibility to play later at MU or some other school to get their graduate degree?

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2022, 09:31:56 AM »
This whole "culture" thing is so nauseating.  Like all sports at all level, winning creates good culture.  And you win by accumulating talent.  Sure, if there's a 2021 version of Antonio Brown, yes, many coaches will stay away from that.  But beyond that, Shaka isn't passing up on talent because they don't cheer their teammates on hard enough in the weight room.

Shaka isn't avoiding recruiting one and done talent because he's not interested in guys who won't be here for four years.  He's not recruiting one and done talent because he knows he can't compete with the Kentuckys of the world in this day and age.

So, let's hope he can coach them up.  But let's not stick our noses up at talent and pretend we don't want it because "culture."  We've turned into Badger fans since Shaka arrived.

You need to read the Army Crew team Harvard case study.  Or... just watch memphis' MBB last few seasons.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2022, 09:33:41 AM »
So if they stayed at MU, tuition was covered but not on scholarship and could not play basketball or any other sport for that matter while getting their undergraduate degree do those years count against their eligibility to play later at MU or some other school to get their graduate degree?

If they don't play, they retain their eligibility. But they would likely transfer if they have eligibility remaining. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2022, 09:55:26 AM »

I don't know. I think you have thought more about this than anyone associated with college basketball. The reality is that 999 out of 1000 basketball players would transfer to another university in that situation because they want to play basketball.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2022, 10:02:22 AM »
Instagram video of his announcement and other pics/videos.... hopefully the link works. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiL5ExDDgZi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2022, 10:48:29 AM »
I don't know. I think you have thought more about this than anyone associated with college basketball. The reality is that 999 out of 1000 basketball players would transfer to another university in that situation because they want to play basketball.

...even the ones at Harvard?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2022, 11:32:46 AM »

...even the ones at Harvard?

Ivy League schools don't offer athletic scholarships
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback