[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Norman Commits  (Read 19987 times)

withoutbias

• All American
Re: Norman Commits
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2022, 11:45:36 AM »
I don't think Shaka would accept having a player on his team that is already planning his exit.

I think by the end of the season it will be obvious to at least one player that he will never get significant minutes at Marquette and Shaka and staff will help him find a new program where he will excel. If that player would rather stay at Marquette, they will help that player get his tuition covered and he will be able to stay at Marquette but not be a part of the basketball roster. Players are entitled to a shot, not to minutes.

::)

Good god. If DJ Wagner called Shaka and said, “Hey Shaka. I’m planning on playing college basketball for one season before being an NBA Draft Lottery pick. I’d love to spend that season in Milwaukee playing for Marquette,” Shaka is not saying, “Thanks, but we want four year culture guys. Good luck at Kentucky or Louisville!” And if he is saying that, he should be terminated immediately.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2022, 11:45:42 AM »
To be fair, you actually needed the scholarship available to take a mid-year transfer because the player had to spend two semesters on campus before becoming eligible.  I didn't agree with that approach, but many here on the board thought holding a scholarship for a mid-year transfer was a great idea.

Now that we're in the age of insta-transfers, if a player leaves his team mid-year, he'll be eligible at his new school at the start of the next year without having to spend two semesters on campus.  There's no need to hold a scholarship for a mid-year transfer.

Agreed. I did see the argument for leaving one open, but for every Luke Fischer that became available, there were fifty freshmen or summer transfers you could've pursued that could have helped you. With immediate eligibility, there is no benefit whatsoever to holding a scholarship, mainly because there's so much less motivation for anyone to leave midseason as it won't get them eligible any sooner.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2022, 11:45:52 AM »
Quote from: We R Final Four link=topic=63570.msg1467331#msg1467331 date=
Shaka absolutely is not a hypocrite. The work the he and his wife have done everywhere they have been has been on the highest of levels and more than legitimate. He wont take a transfer over a plyer who has worked his system for years. He was 100% told by the player that this is their last year.

Not sure I buy this. 

Shaka didn't even backfill for Justin "just in case" he decided to return, and his departure was much more of a sure thing than for anyone on the current roster. 

If a current player says in September they're going pro at the end of the year, you would think Shaka offers the same courtesy to that player "just in case."  And if they said they're going to transfer, Shaka isn't going carry a player not 100% committed to Marquette.

I think this is simply a sign that the ballyhooed "culture of retention" was oversold by some here on the board. It doesn't exist, and everyone on the roster has to know that they need to work every day to keep their place on the roster.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2022, 11:53:08 AM »

Good god. If DJ Wagner called Shaka and said, “Hey Shaka. I’m planning on playing college basketball for one season before being an NBA Draft Lottery pick. I’d love to spend that season in Milwaukee playing for Marquette,” Shaka is not saying, “Thanks, but we want four year culture guys. Good luck at Kentucky or Louisville!” And if he is saying that, he should be terminated immediately.

If that hypothetical takes place, it is important to know what Wagner is expecting regarding his role. If Shaka is uncomfortable with that, then he should say "no thanks."  And no, he shouldn't lose his job otherwise. That's ridiculous.  He is paid to win basketball games - not recruiting battles.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 11:55:43 AM by Sultan Sultanberger »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2022, 12:09:37 PM »
I think this is simply a sign that the ballyhooed "culture of retention" was oversold by some here on the board. It doesn't exist, and everyone on the roster has to know that they need to work every day to keep their place on the roster.

I don't see how A is connected to B. You can have a culture of retention and oversign by 1 player.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2022, 12:16:31 PM »
Not sure I buy this. 

Shaka didn't even backfill for Justin "just in case" he decided to return, and his departure was much more of a sure thing than for anyone on the current roster. 

If a current player says in September they're going pro at the end of the year, you would think Shaka offers the same courtesy to that player "just in case."  And if they said they're going to transfer, Shaka isn't going carry a player not 100% committed to Marquette.

We will need to wait 7 months to see what happened. I believe Shaka knows that a current player is leaving. Im not going to speculate on who that player is.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2022, 12:16:42 PM »

I don't think he was talking about one-and-done type players...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2022, 12:17:03 PM »

Is one of our players as good as DJ Wagner? That's awesome news!

In all seriousness, it would depend on what Wagner's expectations were. If he's going to buy into his role and Shaka's culture and do everything asked of all of the other players on the team for the same amount of collective money, then by all means, sign Wagner up.

You can complain if you want, but Shaka has offered one player to date who ended up ranked in one and done territory. And that one was ranked in the back half of the top 100 when Shaka offered and we stopped being mentioned with him after he blew up. It could be a coincidence, but I don't think Shaka is going after one and dones, at least not at this point. If one called him up? Maybe that would be different but I don't think that call is coming.
TAMU

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2022, 12:47:34 PM »
Semester aboard. No way I was graduating in seven semesters! Of course I’d go when we made the CUA tourney run.

Which ship were you on?
Please don't tell me it was an aircraft carrier!
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2022, 12:52:25 PM »
This whole "culture" thing is so nauseating.  Like all sports at all level, winning creates good culture.  And you win by accumulating talent.  Sure, if there's a 2021 version of Antonio Brown, yes, many coaches will stay away from that.  But beyond that, Shaka isn't passing up on talent because they don't cheer their teammates on hard enough in the weight room.

Shaka isn't avoiding recruiting one and done talent because he's not interested in guys who won't be here for four years.  He's not recruiting one and done talent because he knows he can't compete with the Kentuckys of the world in this day and age.

So, let's hope he can coach them up.  But let's not stick our noses up at talent and pretend we don't want it because "culture."  We've turned into Badger fans since Shaka arrived.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2022, 12:53:41 PM »
I don't think Shaka would accept having a player on his team that is already planning his exit.

I think by the end of the season it will be obvious to at least one player that he will never get significant minutes at Marquette and Shaka and staff will help him find a new program where he will excel. If that player would rather stay at Marquette, they will help that player get his tuition covered and he will be able to stay at Marquette but not be a part of the basketball roster. Players are entitled to a shot, not to minutes.

I’m thinking about it a different way.  Almost like a senior is going to leave at the end of the year because their eligibility is done, there are players that may be thinking of leaving on good terms for other reasons besides playing time.  Lewis left to become a pro and was probably going to go no matter what he heard prior to the draft.  Maybe Oso has let Shaka know he plans to graduate and transfer.  Maybe Omax wants to go pro after the year regardless of draft status not unlike Bailey did.

I think he knows whose leaving.  You could be right and he is over recruiting knowing that someone will leave over playing time.  But I think your scenario or other scenarios are equally as likely. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2022, 01:06:49 PM »
This thread has officially been scoop’d
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2022, 01:16:19 PM »
Interesting note for nolongerwanking

https://twitter.com/mikeyagmin/status/1567303891187863554?s=46&t=DM6vIecsuvJYk4IMKMXEMQ

I'm not a big fan even of round-figure stat groupings because they usually seem forced. ("He's the first player in school history to average 15 ppg, 10 rpg and 5 apg.") But 19 ... 6.5 ... 2.9? How arbitrary. That's a freakin' stat salad. Pass the balsamic.

Having said that ... just to be mentioned in the same twit with those names is a pretty nice compliment, and I'm really happy that Shaka landed such a fine all-around basketball player.

We've turned into Badger fans since Shaka arrived.

Take that back, or I'll punch you in the nuts!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2022, 01:19:19 PM »
Welcome to MU Tre.

• All American
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2022, 01:41:57 PM »
This whole "culture" thing is so nauseating.  Like all sports at all level, winning creates good culture.

You can't win without a good culture unless your talent is overwhelming.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2022, 01:44:42 PM »
Shaka absolutely is not a hypocrite. The work the he and his wife have done everywhere they have been has been on the highest of levels and more than legitimate. He wont take a transfer over a plyer who has worked his system for years. He was 100% told by the player that this is their last year.
Do you actually know this? I could see Prosper telling Shaka he plans on going pro. Even if he plans to he may get injured or have a year that that does not justify turning pro.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2022, 01:46:17 PM »
Do you actually know this? I could see Prosper telling Shaka he plans on going pro. Even if he plans to he may get injured or have a year that that does not justify turning pro.

It’s obvious Shaka isn’t a good person and probably a snake
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2022, 01:57:47 PM »
I have no problem, if a kid decides to leave on his own.
I have a big problem, if we have to drop somebody. It makes Shaka a hypocrite, since he emphasizes, we are family.
Nonsense. An important role for any leader is to assess talent and ease out those who can't cut it. Helping them find a situation where they can be successful is a homerun for both parties.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2022, 01:58:53 PM »
So, let's hope he can coach them up.  But let's not stick our noses up at talent and pretend we don't want it because "culture."  We've turned into Badger fans since Shaka arrived.

Whose sticking their noses up? There are multiple ways to win in college basketball. Recruiting one and dones is one way, it's not the only way.
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2022, 02:00:58 PM »
It’s obvious Shaka isn’t a good person and probably a snake
It is not obvious. I like Shaka's attitude towards the team being a family. I have no idea , if someone is going to get cut. My comment was, if he does cut someone(and that is an unknown) then his we are family mantra is not true.

I like how he talked about Ellis in his review of this team's summer preparation. I do not remember it word for word, but he talked about how Ellis for the first time felt really wanted and how much Ellis loved Marquette. It sure would be a shame, if a player like this got his scholarship taken away.

Maybe, at my age, I am past trying to win at any cost. I want the MU program to have values and every indication is that Shaka does have values. This changes for me, if players do not matter.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2022, 02:21:12 PM »
It is not obvious. I like Shaka's attitude towards the team being a family. I have no idea , if someone is going to get cut. My comment was, if he does cut someone(and that is an unknown) then his we are family mantra is not true.

I like how he talked about Ellis in his review of this team's summer preparation. I do not remember it word for word, but he talked about how Ellis for the first time felt really wanted and how much Ellis loved Marquette. It sure would be a shame, if a player like this got his scholarship taken away.

Maybe, at my age, I am past trying to win at any cost. I want the MU program to have values and every indication is that Shaka does have values. This changes for me, if players do not matter.

Is it better for the player to sit on the bench and get zero minutes of PT ... or to go to a different school, play 30+ mpg and get to really help his team?

One of a coach's main responsibilities is helping each player reach his potential and putting each in position to succeed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2022, 02:36:03 PM »

My understanding is that if a scholarship player were to be cut but wanted to stay at Marquette, arrangements would be made so that their tuition would be covered. Most basketball players good enough to get a scholarship at Marquette would rather transfer somewhere where they will get minutes.
TAMU

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2022, 03:29:48 PM »
Damian Saunders says 'remember me? '

Saunders wasn't cut loose because of overrrecruiting.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2022, 03:41:07 PM »
He was odd man out when DJ did not go pro.   Crean chose Hazel over him.   Yes, the marijuana thing was the official cause, but he was #14.   So, it was as good a reason as any.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2022, 03:42:18 PM »

I've been on Scoop many years. And this might be the 20th time that bilsu has threatened to no longer be a fan of Marquette basketball because of <insert reason here.>