collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Powell/Economy  (Read 8326 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Powell/Economy
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2022, 07:27:03 PM »
Potential 🍅 🍅 🍅 🍅  shortages should have everyone on full alert.  This could be beyond devastating.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2022, 07:29:10 PM »
Potential 🍅 🍅 🍅 🍅  shortages should have everyone on full alert.  This could be beyond devastating.

Finally a way to prevent some people from putting ketchup on hot dogs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2022, 07:38:06 PM »
I remember the PSA on Saturday mornings with the Native American in horseback staring at pollution  with a tear coming down his face.   

Nixon established the EPA after the Cuyahoga caught fire.

California smog days in the 70's.

Nah, it was just ignored.

But that wasn’t about climate change.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2022, 07:41:04 PM »
Finally a way to prevent some people from putting ketchup on hot dogs.

That should be illegal.  But we're very dependent on 🍅 🍅 🍅 nonetheless.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2022, 08:27:16 PM »
I remember the PSA on Saturday mornings with the Native American in horseback staring at pollution  with a tear coming down his face.   

Nixon established the EPA after the Cuyahoga caught fire.

California smog days in the 70's.

Nah, it was just ignored.

Reminds me of the Sigmund Snopek song about Milwaukee, "Thank God This isn't Cleveland".

https://soundcloud.com/sigmundsnopek/thank-god-this-isnt-cleveland

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2022, 08:28:49 PM »
That’s what happens when we ignore climate change for decades

you and greta would make a nice couple
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2022, 08:50:24 PM »
california already playing "captain may i"  to charge your vehicle so the "powers that be can run their A/C and big walk in fridgerators

maybe if you're triple vaxed, boosted, masked up PLUS a shield-that should win ya some points, eyn'a?

dance on one leg, holding your tongue singing "i was born on a pirate ship" automatic win and front of the line
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2022, 09:06:23 PM »
you and greta would make a nice couple

China, Pakistan, southwest USA, Spain, Italy, Texas...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/drought-hit-rivers-world-reveal-treasures-climate-change-heat-wave-rcna44192

Keep your head in the sand. Any future generations of yours should be proud

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2022, 09:39:16 PM »
california already playing "captain may i"  to charge your vehicle so the "powers that be can run their A/C and big walk in fridgerators

maybe if you're triple vaxed, boosted, masked up PLUS a shield-that should win ya some points, eyn'a?

dance on one leg, holding your tongue singing "i was born on a pirate ship" automatic win and front of the line
Possibly your best work yet
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2022, 09:52:30 PM »
Below article from earlier this year says only 5% of EV batteries currently get recycled, so yes I guess I’m serious.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/ev-battery-recycling-makes-cars-cheaper-helps-solve-microchip-shortage-crisis/

You are not a serious person. There are a number of reasons a lot of batteries aren't being recycled.

1. They are still in use, as they often outlast the vehicle.
2. They are repurposed instead, and used in other applications.

But those that are not repurposed, are usually recycled, as efficient recycling methods are already in place.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2022/08/01/electric-car-batteries-lasting-longer-than-predicted-delays-recycling-programs/?sh=2d03bf1e5332

I can provide dozens of similar articles. Even your article if read completely is consistent with what I write above....but you didn't bother to read your full article.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2022, 05:19:02 AM »

9 of 10

Good to see the air quotes back but no ellipses. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2022, 08:04:17 AM »

I have no idea if you're being serious half of the time you post on this board.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2022, 08:06:23 AM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2022, 09:17:47 AM »

Hold on, do rich people and politicians have walk in refrigerators in their homes?  Or did restaurants and food storage facilities suddenly join the "powers that be"?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2022, 09:34:49 AM »
Hold on, do rich people and politicians have walk in refrigerators in their homes?  Or did restaurants and food storage facilities suddenly join the "powers that be"?
Big Refrigeration has all the pols in its cold, cold pockets
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2022, 10:24:50 AM »

Public enemy number 1.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2022, 11:47:17 AM »

I'd bet you have the new-fangled AC in your home? If so, that proves you are one of the 'powers that be'. You're nothing but an Elite

MU82

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2022, 11:47:40 AM »
Like pretty much all newspapers and newspaper chains, big and small, times are rough these days for Gannett, which owns USA Today and 200+ other papers of various sizes.

The chain announced recently that it laid off 3% of its staff (roughly 400 employees), from journalists to editors to customer service to other support staff. Gannett also slashed its marketing budget and said it wouldn't fill some 400 open positions.

What didn't Gannett do? Inflict any pain on upper management, of course.

CEO Mark Reed -- who was paid $7.7 million in 2021 while Gannett’s median salary was $48,419 -- bought $1.2 million worth of Gannett stock immediately before the layoffs. He's no dummy; layoffs often please the market and make stock prices go up. (For example, 3M announced layoffs yesterday, and MMM's price moved up today after getting crushed the last several sessions.)

Also of interest: Of the more than 100 Gannett layoffs tracked by the Poynter Institute (a journalism watchdog), the vast majority affected non-union newsrooms and staff. Unionized newsrooms that are currently bargaining contracts with Gannett were likely protected from layoffs by federal labor law.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2022, 01:56:55 PM »
The chain announced recently that it laid off 3% of its staff (roughly 400 employees), from journalists to editors to customer service to other support staff. Gannett also slashed its marketing budget and said it wouldn't fill some 400 open positions.

CEO Mark Reed -- who was paid $7.7 million in 2021 while Gannett’s median salary was $48,419 -- bought $1.2 million worth of Gannett stock immediately before the layoffs. He's no dummy; layoffs often please the market and make stock prices go up. (For example, 3M announced layoffs yesterday, and MMM's price moved up today after getting crushed the last several sessions.)

This is idiotic and patently false.

Some facts:
The GCI executive team has recently been cut by 30%.

Reed purchased $1.2M on the open market as a sign of confidence in the company. On 8/3/22, the stock price closed at $3.21. The following day, they released earnings and it fell ~28% to $2.30. When he was able to on 8/8/22 (e.g. trading window opened for him), he bought $1.2M of stock at an average price of $2.44. The stock had been beaten down due to the earnings release; he was showing the market that the stock price was a great deal and not reflective of the value of the company.

Since the announced layoffs you refer to, the stock hasn’t done much of anything. It closed ta $2.32 yesterday. (He’s lost money on the $1.2M as of yesterday’s close).

He was not paid $7.7M in 2021. That’s just stupid. What happened is that he was paid a $900k salary and earned an incentive plan bonus of $767k based on how the company performed (variable comp). The other $6.1M you claim he was ‘paid’ is all performance-based stock awards that vest over time and are subject to meeting hurdles. To fully earn all the related award in the future, the stock will need to perform over 4x what it’s currently at.

That is, if under his leadership, great returns are generated for shareholders, he will be rewarded. If not, he won’t. It’s exactly how you want to align pay of management with company performance.

PS as if 1:50 CT today, MMM is up 0.7% from yesterday’s close and is down 13% from last week, which relates to the earplug matter.

Stop the lies!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2022, 01:59:01 PM »
This is idiotic and patently false.

Some facts:
The GCI executive team has recently been cut by 30%.

Reed purchased $1.2M on the open market as a sign of confidence in the company. On 8/3/22, the stock price closed at $3.21. The following day, they released earnings and it fell ~28% to $2.30. When he was able to on 8/8/22 (e.g. trading window opened for him), he bought $1.2M of stock at an average price of $2.44. The stock had been beaten down due to the earnings release; he was showing the market that the stock price was a great deal and not reflective of the value of the company.

Since the announced layoffs you refer to, the stock hasn’t done much of anything. It closed ta $2.32 yesterday. (He’s lost money on the $1.2M as of yesterday’s close).

He was not paid $7.7M in 2021. That’s just stupid. What happened is that he was paid a $900k salary and earned an incentive plan bonus of $767k based on how the company performed (variable comp). The other $6.1M you claim he was ‘paid’ is all performance-based stock awards that vest over time and are subject to meeting hurdles. To fully earn all the related award in the future, the stock will need to perform over 4x what it’s currently at.

That is, if under his leadership, great returns are generated for shareholders, he will be rewarded. If not, he won’t. It’s exactly how you want to align pay of management with company performance.

PS as if 1:50 CT today, MMM is up 0.7% from yesterday’s close and is down 13% from last week, which relates to the earplug matter.

Stop the lies!!

Have a nice day.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2022, 03:33:28 PM »
Like pretty much all newspapers and newspaper chains, big and small, times are rough these days for Gannett, which owns USA Today and 200+ other papers of various sizes.

Also of interest: Of the more than 100 Gannett layoffs tracked by the Poynter Institute (a journalism watchdog), the vast majority affected non-union newsrooms and staff. Unionized newsrooms that are currently bargaining contracts with Gannett were likely protected from layoffs by federal labor law.
Ironic that newspapers are laying off people, ofterntimes because of the shoddy (or lazy) reporting like the above.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2022, 06:40:25 PM »
Ironic that newspapers are laying off people, ofterntimes because of the shoddy (or lazy) reporting like the above.

Yes. Ironic.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2022, 08:25:19 PM »
Have a nice day.

aka “yes, I was wrong and spewing nonsense”

Pathetic
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2022, 08:28:07 PM »
You finally admit it.     That is the first step toward growth.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2022, 09:05:25 PM »

Claiming that newspapers are laying off people because of shoddy or lazy reporting is lazy and shoddy thinking (and dumb, I might add).

feedback