[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85244 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: 2024 College Football Thread
« Reply #2025 on: January 01, 2024, 10:19:40 PM »
He's impressed me. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2026 on: January 01, 2024, 10:48:38 PM »
Is Penix legit? NFL starter potential?

Before Love settled in, he was the guy I wanted the Packers to target. Love his game.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2027 on: January 01, 2024, 10:56:55 PM »
Very polished, accurate, nice touch. I loved his game way back at Indiana.

Only potential draw backs? He’s had two torn ACLs and been in college 6 years.
After Daniels (LSU) he’s my favorite QB in this class.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2028 on: January 01, 2024, 10:58:37 PM »
And throws a more accurate deep ball.

And is taller.

And 35 pounds heavier.

I was thinking before this game that if Penix is still around when the Panthers finally get to draft, they could make worse picks. But they need so much, and he probably won't still be around.

But to keep things in perspective, Young was a great college QB and every NFL scout had him as a top-3 pick. I still think he can be a good pro if he gets a little help.

Not sure how well Penix would have done playing for this year's Panthers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2029 on: January 01, 2024, 11:35:27 PM »
I was thinking before this game that if Penix is still around when the Panthers finally get to draft, they could make worse picks. But they need so much, and he probably won't still be around.

But to keep things in perspective, Young was a great college QB and every NFL scout had him as a top-3 pick. I still think he can be a good pro if he gets a little help.

Not sure how well Penix would have done playing for this year's Panthers.

True that nobody would have looked good playing QB for this year’s Panthers. No receivers who could get any separation for one thing.

I don’t think you can draft Penix unless you trade Young - and that’s not going to happen.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2030 on: January 01, 2024, 11:46:44 PM »
This is crazy

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2031 on: January 01, 2024, 11:52:46 PM »
I might have zero football knowledge/understanding, but I think Michigan is absolutely gonna dominate the LOS against Washington

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2032 on: January 01, 2024, 11:56:43 PM »
I might have zero football knowledge/understanding, but I think Michigan is absolutely gonna dominate the LOS against Washington

I think you know more than you’re giving yourself credit for.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2033 on: January 02, 2024, 12:07:58 AM »
Washington made some of the stupidest decisions I’ve seen (and that’s saying something). That drive in the 4th with the trick play, and two more ridiculous passes that chewed 12 seconds off the clock. Not running on third down up 6, with Texas just having taken a timeout, when you know you’re going to kick the FG anyway.

Mario Cristobal coach their last drive? Take a knee three times, the clock will get down to 15 seconds.

That would have been one of the worst losses ever, and completely deserved.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2034 on: January 02, 2024, 05:50:25 AM »
I’ve watched Washington three times this year, and every one of them had these “ok just finish this” endings to them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2035 on: January 02, 2024, 06:36:11 AM »
I’m not sure either of those teams were 2 of the 4 best teams.

Exciting end? Yup. But a pretty ugly game overall.

Really?

Who do you think were the best 4?

The best teams aren’t always the prettiest.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2036 on: January 02, 2024, 07:02:19 AM »
Really?

Yep. The only other team that might belong is Georgia.

• All American
« Reply #2037 on: January 02, 2024, 07:12:05 AM »
I think Georgia picked a bad week to have its worst game over the last couple of years, and to not schedule anyone worthwhile non-conference. But I can’t see who they should have replaced.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2038 on: January 02, 2024, 08:19:45 AM »
Washington made some of the stupidest decisions I’ve seen (and that’s saying something). That drive in the 4th with the trick play, and two more ridiculous passes that chewed 12 seconds off the clock. Not running on third down up 6, with Texas just having taken a timeout, when you know you’re going to kick the FG anyway.

Mario Cristobal coach their last drive? Take a knee three times, the clock will get down to 15 seconds.

That would have been one of the worst losses ever, and completely deserved.

I had absolutely no stake in the game, either as a fan or a gambler, and I was still talking to the coach through the TV, asking him what the hell he was doing. He would have sewn up 2024 Sports Idiot of the Year on Day 1 if Washington had lost that game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2039 on: January 02, 2024, 10:19:39 AM »
Really?

Georgia and Oregon certainly could have an argument.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2040 on: January 02, 2024, 10:23:27 AM »

Oregon had two shots at Washington and lost them both. They have zero argument.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2041 on: January 02, 2024, 10:31:30 AM »
In the biggest non-surprise ever, the Iowa punter has set the all-time record for most yards in a season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2042 on: January 02, 2024, 10:33:36 AM »
Oregon had two shots at Washington and lost them both. They have zero argument.

So?  Texas had a chance to beat Oklahoma and didn't.  Alabama had a shot to beat Texas and didn't.

That's the point.  Subjectively picking the "4 best teams" over the teams that earned it on the field is an absolute joke.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #2043 on: January 02, 2024, 10:34:40 AM »
So?  Texas had a chance to beat Oklahoma and didn't.  Alabama had a shot to beat Texas and didn't.

That's the point.  Subjectively picking the "4 best teams" over the teams that earned it on the field is an absolute joke.

What do you mean by "earned it on the field?"  I would argue Oregon didn't. Neither did FSU. Neither did Liberty.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2044 on: January 02, 2024, 10:36:27 AM »

Oregon had two losses and just one win over a ranked opponent.
What's their argument to get in over one-loss Alabama with wins over four ranked opponents or undefeated Michigan with wins over three ranked opponents?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2045 on: January 02, 2024, 10:52:18 AM »
The last two teams standing are 14-0.  If we were still in the BCS days, this would have been the title game.  Would have been a heckuva Rose Bowl, too
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2046 on: January 02, 2024, 11:48:36 AM »

What do you mean by "earned it on the field?"  I would argue Oregon didn't. Neither did FSU. Neither did Liberty.
I agree. I am 100% fine with the CFP field. But, you could make a weak but valid argument for UGA and Ohio State.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2047 on: January 02, 2024, 11:54:30 AM »
These numbers include the bowl games so that changes things, but most college football efficiency rankings have all 3 of of OSU, Oregon, and Georgia in the top 4.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2048 on: January 03, 2024, 08:31:14 AM »

If Michigan doesn’t control the LOS they’re going to get killed.

Washington is going to get some big plays, yards, and points, but Michigan has to limit them by putting pressure on Penix and controlling the ball themselves with mixes of runs and short passes.

I’ve heard several people compare this game to Michigan playing Ohio State in 2021 and 2022 when OSU had Stroud and a stable of NFL caliber wide receivers. The Michigan teams were built to compete with those teams by being more physical while having enough skill and speed to contain the 5 star athletes the Buckeyes always have.

This game should be significantly different than the Alabama game, which was more a match of physical vs physical with both teams giving up yards grudgingly.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2049 on: January 03, 2024, 08:49:31 AM »
If Michigan doesn’t control the LOS they’re going to get killed.

Washington is going to get some big plays, yards, and points, but Michigan has to limit them by putting pressure on Penix and controlling the ball themselves with mixes of runs and short passes.

I’ve heard several people compare this game to Michigan playing Ohio State in 2021 and 2022 when OSU had Stroud and a stable of NFL caliber wide receivers. The Michigan teams were built to compete with those teams by being more physical while having enough skill and speed to contain the 5 star athletes the Buckeyes always have.

This game should be significantly different than the Alabama game, which was more a match of physical vs physical with both teams giving up yards grudgingly.
I think this year's Michigan is better than last year's but it could be interesting since last year TCU's high powered offense beat Michigan's physical advantage.