[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85208 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 2023 College Football Thread
« Reply #1825 on: December 05, 2023, 10:44:05 AM »

I don't agree with that at all. It certainly seemed like schools like Boise and SMU were happy to win their conferences. College football television ratings are huge. It seems like there is plenty of joy by both teams and fans.

Boise State was enjoying their success so much this year they fired the coach.
Anyhow, I wouldn't go so far as to equate interest with joy. People are undoubtedly interested and passionate, but I imagine if you spent some time on an Ohio State or Penn State fan board, you wouldn't get a sense of joy emanating from the diehards.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1826 on: December 05, 2023, 10:49:44 AM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1827 on: December 05, 2023, 10:52:00 AM »
Boise State was enjoying their success so much this year they fired the coach.
Anyhow, I wouldn't go so far as to equate interest with joy. People are undoubtedly interested and passionate, but I imagine if you spent some time on an Ohio State or Penn State fan board, you wouldn't get a sense of joy emanating from the diehards.

Oh come on. Do you really think that fan message boards full of whacky die-hards is a way to measure joy? And that somehow fanbases were happier and more patient back in the day?

In 1987, Ohio State fired Earle Bruce the year after he won the Big Ten title, the Cotton Bowl and finished in the top 10. Which was the 8th year in a row of finishing in the top 15.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1828 on: December 05, 2023, 11:02:01 AM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-attendance-rose-in-2022-with-largest-year-over-year-increase-since-1982/
The clear downward trend is and has been a concern for CF. I don't think it is an major concern level but it is a point of discussion in athletic departments and conferences.  I'd guess the offset of TV makes it a back burner issue.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1829 on: December 05, 2023, 11:45:10 AM »
Boise St is a funny situation.

They fired a decent coach cause he wasn’t gonna have them contending for for New Years bowls and probably foresaw he wouldn’t have them in contention for those new qualifying spots next year.  They closed the year strong but were 5-5 mid season when he was fired and had been garbage in non-MWC most of his tenure. 

SMU and BSU aren’t good comps.  BSU is the most successful non-P5 program (now that TCU is in the B12) over the last 20 years.  Not being top and winning their conference most years won’t cut it.  They certainly enjoyed the end of the season but that’s mostly based in hope for the interim (now new HC) moving forward with this success.

SMU on the other hand hasn’t won a conference title in almost 40 years. Sonny Dykes was the first HC with a winning record there since the death penalty and even he finished no better than 3rd in the AAC.   So their perspective is totally different

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1830 on: December 05, 2023, 12:08:14 PM »
No, I'm saying the singular focus on the national title brought about first by the BCS and then the playoff has robbed the joy of other accomplishments and successes.

One of my best friends is a Georgia alum and huge football fan. I seriously don't personally know anybody who more lives and dies by the success/failure of his favorite college football program.

After the loss to Bama, he spent way too much time on his preferred Bulldogs fan board, mostly writing sad/angry crud. And then Sunday, when Georgia was officially shut out of the title chase, he went into what his wife called "a deep funk." Didn't eat the rest of the day.

By the next day, he was OK. Last night, he and a couple of his fellow fans bought tickets to the Orange Bowl. Right now, he's on the golf course, enjoying our 60 degrees and sun. He still wishes they beat Bama. He still thinks Georgia got "jobbed." But he's already 90% over it, already appreciating the incredible run that Georgia gave its fans.

For almost any rational human being, the disappointment fades -- just as it did for most of us here re MU's loss to Michigan State.

For those who it really permanently "robbed the joy of other accomplishments and successes," as you state ... well, sorry, but they need to effen get lives.

If my friend can move on - and he already mostly has - anybody can and should.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1831 on: December 05, 2023, 12:10:17 PM »
Boise St is a funny situation.

They fired a decent coach cause he wasn’t gonna have them contending for for New Years bowls and probably foresaw he wouldn’t have them in contention for those new qualifying spots next year.  They closed the year strong but were 5-5 mid season when he was fired and had been garbage in non-MWC most of his tenure. 

SMU and BSU aren’t good comps.  BSU is the most successful non-P5 program (now that TCU is in the B12) over the last 20 years.  Not being top and winning their conference most years won’t cut it.  They certainly enjoyed the end of the season but that’s mostly based in hope for the interim (now new HC) moving forward with this success.

SMU on the other hand hasn’t won a conference title in almost 40 years. Sonny Dykes was the first HC with a winning record there since the death penalty and even he finished no better than 3rd in the AAC.   So their perspective is totally different
Isn't SMU a real threat to becoming big time? Didn't they just raise something like $100M in 24hours?

SMU with the cache of the ACC and the massive financial backing should surpass BSU as a power program.

SMU and TCU are real outliers in college sports. Both have similarities to MU (size, religious affiliations, urban campuses) but the oil money is a game changer. I think TCU just finished a fund raiser for $1B and raised $1.2B  :o

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1832 on: December 05, 2023, 12:27:48 PM »
For those who it really permanently "robbed the joy of other accomplishments and successes," as you state ... well, sorry, but they need to effen get lives.

If my friend can move on - and he already mostly has - anybody can and should.

I think you're taking my comments to an extreme to which they were never intended. If you thought I was suggesting Georgia and tOSU fans are all on permanent suicide watch, I obviously wasn't very eloquent with my words.
Ask your friend sometime whether he believes Georgia had a great season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1833 on: December 05, 2023, 12:41:04 PM »
I think you're taking my comments to an extreme to which they were never intended. If you thought I was suggesting Georgia and tOSU fans are all on permanent suicide watch, I obviously wasn't very eloquent with my words.
Ask your friend sometime whether he believes Georgia had a great season.

I'll ask him in a month. He'll say yes but he'll wish is were even greater, as the previous two seasons were.

Yes, "robbed the joy of other accomplishments and successes" is pretty extreme. And they were your words.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1834 on: December 05, 2023, 12:49:44 PM »
Yes, "robbed the joy of other accomplishments and successes" is pretty extreme. And they were your words.

Are Georgia fans celebrating an invite to the Orange Bowl? Are Oregon fans excited for the Fiesta Bowl?
If not, the joy of those successes has been robbed. Doesn't mean people won't watch and cheer on their teams. Just that they'll feel like it's a letdown. That's not extreme.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 12:51:45 PM by Pakuni »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1835 on: December 05, 2023, 12:57:35 PM »
Are Georgia fans celebrating an invite to the Orange Bowl? Are Oregon fans excited for the Fiesta Bowl?
If not, the joy of those successes has been robbed. Doesn't mean people won't watch and cheer on their teams. Just that they'll feel like it's a letdown. That's not extreme.

It’s interesting the reaction to bowl games for some fan bases.  Barry Alvarez did an incredible job convincing Wisconsin fans all bowls are important for a program and many still believe it.  Coaches in general really make a point of it to talk about how important all bowls are in the big picture and the media for the most part helps sell it.

I’ll be curious how it gets sold by coaches a year from now when the playoff expands.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1836 on: December 05, 2023, 01:00:59 PM »
It’s interesting the reaction to bowl games for some fan bases.  Barry Alvarez did an incredible job convincing Wisconsin fans all bowls are important for a program and many still believe it.  Coaches in general really make a point of it to talk about how important all bowls are in the big picture and the media for the most part helps sell it.

I’ll be curious how it gets sold by coaches a year from now when the playoff expands.
Extra practice time; the true benefit of bowls.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1837 on: December 05, 2023, 01:03:09 PM »

I just told you my friend already bought his Orange Bowl ticket. Is he "celebrating" today? Probably not. Are you still "celebrating" Marquette's Big East title? I'm not. I thoroughly enjoyed last season despite its bitter ending, but it's a new season now with hopefully new things to celebrate.

In every sport at every level, there is a champion in every season. Fans of teams with legit championship aspirations that aren't able to see those aspirations realized will always experience a letdown. Again, I experienced a letdown when we fell to Michigan State. Didn't you?

If such things rob fans of all joy, that's on them.

We don't need to keep going round and round on this, Pak. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1838 on: December 05, 2023, 01:32:42 PM »
We don't need to keep going round and round on this, Pak.

Of course we do. It's the first and second rule of Scoop Debate Club.

Pakuni

• All American

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1840 on: December 05, 2023, 02:01:43 PM »
Isn't SMU a real threat to becoming big time? Didn't they just raise something like $100M in 24hours?

SMU with the cache of the ACC and the massive financial backing should surpass BSU as a power program.

SMU and TCU are real outliers in college sports. Both have similarities to MU (size, religious affiliations, urban campuses) but the oil money is a game changer. I think TCU just finished a fund raiser for $1B and raised $1.2B  :o

Yes, I don’t disagree.  They have a lot of potential.  But that doesn’t change the fact that they have been in the wilderness for a LOOONNNGGG time and this season was the biggest success since the Pony Express days.  So saying their fan base enjoyed the season, as a way of saying title contention isn’t needed for happiness, is just lacking context compared to other programs that fell short

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1841 on: December 05, 2023, 02:10:24 PM »
Bad decision to bet on the Hawkeyes' offense.

Local beer lovers rejoiced despite the University of Iowa's double-digit Big Ten Championship loss to Michigan on Dec. 2, capitalizing on a unique promotion.
X-Golf Cedar Rapids, a high-tech golf simulator, poured 150 free beers Saturday, bolstered by one of the most anemic offenses in school history.
X-Golf (which also has a location in Coralville) pledged to pour free beer until the Hawkeyes scored Saturday.
Iowa never scored a point, losing 26-0 to the now top-ranked and undefeated Michigan Wolverines in Indianapolis, Indiana, paving the way for more than three hours of free drinks.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story/sports/college/iowa/iowa-football/2023/12/05/x-golf-cedar-rapids-goes-viral-for-free-beer-promotion-during-big-ten-championship/71801391007/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1842 on: December 05, 2023, 02:17:17 PM »
Bad decision to bet on the Hawkeyes' offense.

Local beer lovers rejoiced despite the University of Iowa's double-digit Big Ten Championship loss to Michigan on Dec. 2, capitalizing on a unique promotion.
X-Golf Cedar Rapids, a high-tech golf simulator, poured 150 free beers Saturday, bolstered by one of the most anemic offenses in school history.
X-Golf (which also has a location in Coralville) pledged to pour free beer until the Hawkeyes scored Saturday.
Iowa never scored a point, losing 26-0 to the now top-ranked and undefeated Michigan Wolverines in Indianapolis, Indiana, paving the way for more than three hours of free drinks.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story/sports/college/iowa/iowa-football/2023/12/05/x-golf-cedar-rapids-goes-viral-for-free-beer-promotion-during-big-ten-championship/71801391007/

150 free beers total in 3 hours?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1843 on: December 05, 2023, 02:21:35 PM »
A stellar use of taxpayer money.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2023/12/05/fsu-football-snub-desantis-sets-aside-1-million-for-possible-legal-fight/71808282007/
At first glance, I agree it's dumb. But is paying a football coach $6M per year a wise use of taxpayer money? The dollars are so significant that the $1M isn't concerning if you view the football program as an investment. If it turns out any legal action is without merit, then I agree it is a waste of money (that has not been spent yet).

If, and it is a gigantic if, the state could win, say, a $4M judgment, then it would be a wise use of taxpayer money.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1844 on: December 05, 2023, 02:22:22 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1845 on: December 05, 2023, 02:30:55 PM »
At first glance, I agree it's dumb. But is paying a football coach $6M per year a wise use of taxpayer money? The dollars are so significant that the $1M isn't concerning if you view the football program as an investment. If it turns out any legal action is without merit, then I agree it is a waste of money (that has not been spent yet).

If, and it is a gigantic if, the state could win, say, a $4M judgment, then it would be a wise use of taxpayer money.

They're not getting a dime, and it's unlikely any suit will be filed. It's a performative gesture to appease meatheads.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1846 on: December 05, 2023, 02:50:07 PM »
Extra practice time; the true benefit of bowls.

Which is BS nowadays. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1847 on: December 05, 2023, 03:04:14 PM »
Which is BS nowadays.
I don't follow. What has become BS?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1848 on: December 05, 2023, 03:18:11 PM »
I don't follow. What has become BS?

The extra practices matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1849 on: December 05, 2023, 11:10:13 PM »
Desantis asking for $1 mil of taxpayer money to sue over FSU being left out of playoffs.

Suck-up POS.

feedback