[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85112 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2023 College Football Thread
« Reply #1700 on: December 02, 2023, 06:29:47 AM »
I have a friend whose son played under current Washington coach Kalen De Boer at Sioux Falls where he won three NAIA football championships. De Boer is an alum who grew up in the area, and would probably still be there winning championships but he took a chance starting as a OC at the FCS level and working his way up. An unconventional career path no doubt. My friend has absolutely nothing but good to say about him so I'm glad to see him succeed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1701 on: December 02, 2023, 04:34:04 PM »
Obviously he’s earned the right to not be questioned too much, but Smart calling a REALLY weird, frankly scared game.

Super conservative, refusing to throw the ball, just playing like a team holding a slim lead against a powerhouse instead of the back to back defending champs

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1702 on: December 02, 2023, 06:14:07 PM »
That’s some terrible clock management and play-calling by Georgia
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #1703 on: December 02, 2023, 06:26:34 PM »
Washington, Texas, Alabama should be in. Michigan with a win. Georgia if Michigan loses. FSU? Sorry.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1704 on: December 02, 2023, 06:33:11 PM »
Washington, Texas, Alabama should be in. Michigan with a win. Georgia if Michigan loses. FSU? Sorry.
I like that Alabama shook things up. Kind of tired of seeing Georgia win this tournament every year .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1705 on: December 02, 2023, 06:41:39 PM »
Whoever gets left out among Georgia, Bama and Texas, I don’t want to hear the whining.

Each had an opportunity to be undefeated and sew up a bid. None could do it, leaving it in the hands of the pencil-necks.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1706 on: December 02, 2023, 07:49:50 PM »

FSU has 3 yards of offense against a team that just gave up 35 to Kentucky. This is an absolutely horrible game and FSU’s QB is so over his head.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1707 on: December 02, 2023, 08:47:56 PM »
Gus Johnson has really jumped the shark.  Trying to make Iowa happen screaming only down ten at half which ignores they were down 11 at half two years ago.

Let it happen naturally, Gus.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: December 02, 2023, 09:25:15 PM »
Iowa all but officially done.

• All American
« Reply #1709 on: December 03, 2023, 06:33:45 AM »
A 12-team playoff would have looked damn fun this year. But the dipsh*t "Alliance" between the B10, P12 and ACC put the breaks on for one year.  And now two of, the back to back national champion, an undefeated ACC champion, and one loss SEC and B12 champions are going to get left out.

Not to mention Ohio State and Oregon, who look clearly out, but can beat anyone, anywhere.  Throw in Missouri, Penn State, Ole Miss and Oklahoma and you would have some fun first round games as well.

Byes: Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama

First round:  Ole Miss at FSU, Missouri at Ohio State, Penn State at Georgia, Oklahoma at Oregon
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 06:39:06 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1710 on: December 03, 2023, 07:30:37 AM »

Yep.
Too bad about Reid Jordan Travis, but without him FSU isn't one of the 10 best teams in the country, much less one of the top 4.

Thanks, Hutch!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 07:51:00 AM by Pakuni »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1711 on: December 03, 2023, 07:41:57 AM »
Michigan and Washington are locks. 

Florida St should be in - undefeated and beat a very good Louisville team last night and held a high powered offense to 6 points and 188 yards.  Their season average’s were 33 and 438. FSU clearly belongs, Travis or not. 

Texas should be in - 1 loss like the others, with a win at Alabama.  They rolled most of their opponents, with their only loss a 4 pt to the Sooners.

Alabama and Ga were unimpressive all year.  Alabama just needed a comeback to beat a barely bowl eligible Auburn, and beat a bad Arkansas team by a field goal at home, where Arkansas drew within three with 11 minutes left.  The SEC was clearly down this year.  Neither teams resume and performances stack up against the aforementioned 4. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1712 on: December 03, 2023, 07:44:53 AM »
The playoffs are expanding and this scenario is the reason why.   Excluding an undefeated Power 6 school just to get to one loss Alabama and Texas is blatantly wrong.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #1713 on: December 03, 2023, 07:47:28 AM »
I certainly would not be outraged if FSU makes it, but it really tells teams that scheduling tough out of conference games doesn't bring value.

The ACC wasn't great this year so their best win is either LSU or Louisville. Alabama also beat LSU, but also beat Georgia and Ole Miss.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1714 on: December 03, 2023, 07:48:33 AM »
Yep.
Too bad about Reid Travis, but without him FSU isn't one of the 10 best teams in the country, much less one of the top 4.

I’ve heard he also goes by Jordan Travis, but you’re all knowing on everything here, so will call him Reid going forward and not doubt they clearly out of the top 10 without “Reid”.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1715 on: December 03, 2023, 07:49:38 AM »
Michigan and Washington are locks. 

Florida St should be in - undefeated and beat a very good Louisville team last night and held a high powered offense to 6 points and 188 yards.  Their season average’s were 33 and 438. FSU clearly belongs, Travis or not. 

That "very good" Louisville team got beaten at home by Kentucky last week. A Kentucky team that lost by 28 to Bama and 38 to Georgia. That very good Louisville also lost by 17 to Pitt, which finished the season 3-9.
In other words, Louisville is not very good at all.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1716 on: December 03, 2023, 07:50:32 AM »
I’ve heard he also goes by Jordan Travis, but you’re all knowing on everything here, so will call him Reid going forward and not doubt they clearly out of the top 10 without “Reid”.

Oh, sh*t, you got me.
Louisville must be a very good team, after all.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1717 on: December 03, 2023, 07:58:19 AM »
That "very good" Louisville team got beaten at home by Kentucky last week. A Kentucky team that lost by 28 to Bama and 38 to Georgia. That very good Louisville also lost by 17 to Pitt, which finished the season 3-9.
In other words, Louisville is not very good at all.

They had a couple duds and aren’t great, sure.  But you’re also skipping over their wins over NC St and Notre Dame who both remain in the top 20. That was an impressive defensive performance last night by the ‘Noles. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1718 on: December 03, 2023, 09:58:02 AM »
That’s life.

Players fall just short of getting scholarships at their top targets. Coaches get passed over for better jobs. 5 candidates go for 4 job openings at a company; 1 will be disappointed. Etc etc etc.

These schools, coaches and athletes knew this year’s rules going in.

All Alabama had to do was not lose at home by double digits to Texas. All Texas had to do was not let Oklahoma go 75 yards in the final minute. All Georgia had to do was not play poorly against Bama.

Florida State did all they could do. They might just end up being victims of circumstance. That’s life, too. It ain’t always “fair.”

Here’s a chance for the leaders of the schools/teams that don’t make it to act like adults and good role models.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1719 on: December 03, 2023, 10:09:36 AM »
That’s life.

Players fall just short of getting scholarships at their top targets. Coaches get passed over for better jobs. 5 candidates go for 4 job openings at a company; 1 will be disappointed. Etc etc etc.

All Alabama had to do was not lose at home by double digits to Texas. All Texas had to do was not let Oklahoma go 75 yards in the final minute. All Georgia had to do was not play poorly against Bama.

Florida State did all they could do. They might just end up being victims of circumstance. That’s life, too. It ain’t always “fair.”

Here’s a chance for the leaders of the schools/teams that don’t make it to act like adults and good role models.

Isn’t “FSU did all they could do. They might just end up being the victims of circumstance. That’s life, too. It ain’t always ‘fair,’” the direct counter to, “I don’t want to hear any crying. All you had to do was win this game or that!”?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1720 on: December 03, 2023, 10:15:07 AM »
R.I.P. Big Ten Championship Game (2014-23). Final tale of the tape for the Big Ten West Division:

Record: 0-10 (Wisconsin 0-4, Iowa 0-3, Northwestern 0-2, Purdue 0-1)

Average margin of defeat: 21 points

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1721 on: December 03, 2023, 10:20:45 AM »
Isn’t “FSU did all they could do. They might just end up being the victims of circumstance. That’s life, too. It ain’t always ‘fair,’” the direct counter to, “I don’t want to hear any crying. All you had to do was win this game or that!”?

Yessir. It's also a direct correlation to "That's life. It ain't always fair."

For the record, I'm fine with Fla St making it or Fla St not making it. I understand the argument either way.

Next year, some will be outraged about the 13th and 14th teams that will be "snubbed." I get it. I don't have to like it, but I get it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1722 on: December 03, 2023, 10:37:20 AM »
Yessir. It's also a direct correlation to "That's life. It ain't always fair."

For the record, I'm fine with Fla St making it or Fla St not making it. I understand the argument either way.

Next year, some will be outraged about the 13th and 14th teams that will be "snubbed." I get it. I don't have to like it, but I get it.

But that’s different than having an undefeated power conference champion not even make it into the Playoffs. This format is bad and FSU absolutely has a right to complain. The 13th ranked team next year complaining that they don’t get the chance to lose at Bama by 40 falls on deaf ears to me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1723 on: December 03, 2023, 10:40:16 AM »
That’s life.

So, you're saying if Alabama lost by 3 they'd be in?

If you want to make the case that FSU deserves to be in solely because they went undefeated, that's fine. I don't find it persuasive, but at least there's some logic to it.
But if the goal is a playoff of the best four teams - and that is, literally, the committee's mission statement - then FSU right now doesn't belong in the discussion. No one serious believes FSU without Travis is better than Bama or Georgia or Texas. FSU would be heavy dogs against any one of those teams, as well as Oregon and Ohio State.
I hope everyone who wants FSU in enjoyed last night's Big 10 game. Because that's what you're asking for.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1724 on: December 03, 2023, 10:41:56 AM »
But that’s different than having an undefeated power conference champion not even make it into the Playoffs. This format is bad and FSU absolutely has a right to complain. The 13th ranked team next year complaining that they don’t get the chance to lose at Bama by 40 falls on deaf ears to me.

FSU has Florida on the schedule every year and added LSU the last two years.  They have EARNED the 4th spot at the very least.

Bama deserves credit for doing a home and home with Texas but they lost at home.

Are they a better team today than September?  Absolutely and I think they’re one of the 4-5 best teams currently.  Alas, FSU would be a no-brainer if not for the QB dilemma.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback