[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85152 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: 2023 College Football Thread
« Reply #1525 on: November 05, 2023, 07:01:17 PM »
Sounds like a lot of Scoopers root for UW in football. If so, I’m floored. I can’t stand UW in any sport, thought their was solidarity among MU fans on that.
I will stand in solidarity with you, Lenny.   Bucky bad.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1526 on: November 05, 2023, 07:21:15 PM »
I will stand in solidarity with you, Lenny.   Bucky bad.

I would be surprised if out- of-staters cared about any UW sport.

People who grew up in Wisconsin are a mixed bag.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1527 on: November 05, 2023, 08:21:42 PM »
Well done

The heart of his defensive philosophy was two sizes too small.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1528 on: November 05, 2023, 08:22:48 PM »
I’ve said it over and over when discussing whether coaches are great or not.

You win with good players. Saban is a very good coach - but he is a great recruiter. Give him Wisconsin’s talent every year and no one would be saying that he was a great coach.

Like you, I think Fickell will be fine once he gets a couple full recruiting classes.
Successful College Football Coaches are good recruiters. Look at Kansas ,now that they have a solid coach who has brought in talent, their team is in the top 20.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1529 on: November 05, 2023, 08:26:30 PM »
Sounds like a lot of Scoopers root for UW in football. If so, I’m floored. I can’t stand UW in any sport, thought their was solidarity among MU fans on that.

When I said I was enjoying the start of the Fickell era, I meant sarcastically that I was enjoying them losing to bad teams, like yesterday.

Better my sister should start turning out tricks than I should root for UW in anything.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1530 on: November 05, 2023, 10:40:18 PM »
I’ve said it over and over when discussing whether coaches are great or not.

You win with good players. Saban is a very good coach - but he is a great recruiter. Give him Wisconsin’s talent every year and no one would be saying that he was a great coach.

Like you, I think Fickell will be fine once he gets a couple full recruiting classes.

I disagree with that statement about Saban.  Cause he's won everywhere almost immediately.  Took over a meh Toledo team and immediately went 9-2 and won the conference.  His early tenure at MSU wasnt amazing by Saban standards , but even then he took over a scuffling program that forfeited 4 wins the year before and immediately finished 5th in the B10 and beat a top 10 UM team.

He took over a dumpster fire at LSU that was a combined 7-15 (3-13 in the SEC) the previous 2 seasons and had them 8-4 and in the Peach Bowl year 1, a 10 win top 10 team in the Sugar Bowl year 2.

Bama was a sh**show before he arrived.  6-6 (2-6) the year before, no better than 3rd in their division in the SEC during Shula's tenure.  Saban had them undefeated in the regular season by Year 2 and in the Sugar Bowl and undefeated national champs by Year 3.

He's an exceptional recruiter, there is no doubt.  But there is no "wait till Saban gets his players in" needed.  Maybe thats when they contend for national titles, but he's taking what he's got and winning straight away with one recruiting class at best, and thats not enough talent to completely reshape a team into a monster that quickly like he did.

Do I think he'd win National titles with Wisconsin level talent?  No.  Do I think Wisconsin would be a top 10-15 team the last few years with the same roster if Saban was in place of Chryst/Fickell?  Absolutely.

But I agree about Fickell, as much as I hate to admit it.  Once they get talent to fit the offense he wants to run, I would expect them to be with PSU right behind OSU/UM.  I'm not extrapolating once Oregon, UW, and USC join yet
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 08:08:55 AM by JWags85 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1531 on: November 06, 2023, 06:53:36 AM »
I'm not extrapolating once Oregon, UW, and USC join yet

Looking forward to the real UW joining the B18G
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1532 on: November 06, 2023, 07:35:56 AM »
Am I missing something when people mention Drake Maye in the top QB discussion? I see a 1st round guy but at 19th in QBR in college against mediocre opposition, I'm not sold as a top 5 guy.
The scouts like his size, arm strength,reading progressions-comparisons range from Carson Palmer to Aaron Rogers. So, you probable are missing something. I assume they have watched more game film than you.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1533 on: November 06, 2023, 08:37:25 AM »
The scouts like his size, arm strength,reading progressions-comparisons range from Carson Palmer to Aaron Rogers. So, you probable are missing something. I assume they have watched more game film than you.
Sounds like the Mitch Trubisky profile.  ;)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1534 on: November 06, 2023, 09:53:40 AM »

We agree on this.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1536 on: November 10, 2023, 10:54:44 AM »
If anyone wants to read a nice summary of the Michigan Stalions controversy, and how absolutely dumb and absolutely awesome it has become all at the same time, I highly recommend this.

https://themessenger.com/sports/jim-harbaugh-connor-stalions-michigan-sign-stealing-investigation-suspension-ncaa
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1537 on: November 10, 2023, 11:18:58 AM »
If anyone wants to read a nice summary of the Michigan Stalions controversy, and how absolutely dumb and absolutely awesome it has become all at the same time, I highly recommend this.

https://themessenger.com/sports/jim-harbaugh-connor-stalions-michigan-sign-stealing-investigation-suspension-ncaa
I haven't read the article yet, but it is very strange that Michigan had no clue about any of this, and yet they are now experts to the point where they say everyone does it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1538 on: November 10, 2023, 11:22:41 AM »

I saw a video somewhere from the CMU vs. MSU game where the CMU ball carrier gets pushed out of bounds right by where (allegedly) Stalions was standing on the CMU sideline and you see this dude in sunglasses and a hat start to try to run away from where the action is coming as he realizes it's coming right at him, but runs into someone on the sideline so then he suddenly just starts to pull his hat down over his face and looks down at the ground.  It's hilarious.

Also, while looking for that video I found this Tweet.  Incredible.

https://twitter.com/BuckeyeEmpire/status/1719499000166936993
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1539 on: November 10, 2023, 11:54:46 AM »
I saw a video somewhere from the CMU vs. MSU game where the CMU ball carrier gets pushed out of bounds right by where (allegedly) Stalions was standing on the CMU sideline and you see this dude in sunglasses and a hat start to try to run away from where the action is coming as he realizes it's coming right at him, but runs into someone on the sideline so then he suddenly just starts to pull his hat down over his face and looks down at the ground.  It's hilarious.

Also, while looking for that video I found this Tweet.  Incredible.

https://twitter.com/BuckeyeEmpire/status/1719499000166936993

I had a pretty good idea how this story would play out when only Big Ten coaches were outraged.  Rest of college football knows this happens and doesn’t want that can of worms opened.

If this was the SEC, the commissioner would have buried this before it saw the light of day, as would have Jim Delany were he still in charge of the Big Ten.

The end of this will be a two-game suspension fought in court or a heavy fine.  Then Michigan will drop all their oppo information on Big Ten schools and it’ll be a circus of them eating each other alive
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #1540 on: November 10, 2023, 01:19:37 PM »
I had a pretty good idea how this story would play out when only Big Ten coaches were outraged.  Rest of college football knows this happens and doesn’t want that can of worms opened.

If this was the SEC, the commissioner would have buried this before it saw the light of day, as would have Jim Delany were he still in charge of the Big Ten.

The end of this will be a two-game suspension fought in court or a heavy fine.  Then Michigan will drop all their oppo information on Big Ten schools and it’ll be a circus of them eating each other alive

But that's what makes this great! So yeah, teams steal signs and teams illegally scout in person. But then one program develops a crazy, over-involved system and everyone gets up in arms. I mean, he pretended to be a CMU coach!

But did they actually violate any NCAA rules?  Because the are arcane, dumb and routinely ignored, no one really knows. And regardless, no one believes the NCAA is going to actually enforce them.

So now the Big Ten is being asked to do something because...unwritten rules maybe?  Nobody likes Jim Harbaugh?  And of course, Jim Harbaugh's attorney writes a letter that looks like it was plaigerized right off of the UM Rivals board. Like did Joey and Sam quote Ners in their letter to Wojo?

It's just another example of how beautifully crazy college football actually is. And why I will maintain until I die, that for better or worse it is the sport that best represents America.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1541 on: November 10, 2023, 01:20:55 PM »
Biff speaks…

https://x.com/biffpoggi/status/1723053325556351324?s=46

To be honest, when you rock this on the sidelines weekly, I can’t help be trust your word…

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1542 on: November 10, 2023, 01:37:08 PM »
Biff speaks…

https://x.com/biffpoggi/status/1723053325556351324?s=46

To be honest, when you rock this on the sidelines weekly, I can’t help be trust your word…

Well that is the end of the story. Fun while it lasted but Biff is the definitive word and that is that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1543 on: November 10, 2023, 02:17:33 PM »

But that's what makes this great! So yeah, teams steal signs and teams illegally scout in person. But then one program develops a crazy, over-involved system and everyone gets up in arms. I mean, he pretended to be a CMU coach!

But did they actually violate any NCAA rules?  Because the are arcane, dumb and routinely ignored, no one really knows. And regardless, no one believes the NCAA is going to actually enforce them.

So now the Big Ten is being asked to do something because...unwritten rules maybe?  Nobody likes Jim Harbaugh?  And of course, Jim Harbaugh's attorney writes a letter that looks like it was plaigerized right off of the UM Rivals board. Like did Joey and Sam quote Ners in their letter to Wojo?

It's just another example of how beautifully crazy college football actually is. And why I will maintain until I die, that for better or worse it is the sport that best represents America.

I agree with all of this

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1544 on: November 10, 2023, 02:44:09 PM »
Jim can't be on the sideline...until he can get the B1G some money.  If they beat PSU and OSU, he can be back for the B1G title (because if they lost that then they get no teams in the CFP) and the CFP.

Nice.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1545 on: November 10, 2023, 02:51:48 PM »
Jim can't be on the sideline...until he can get the B1G some money.  If they beat PSU and OSU, he can be back for the B1G title (because if they lost that then they get no teams in the CFP) and the CFP.

Nice.

Ohio State is SO soft

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1546 on: November 10, 2023, 02:52:20 PM »
Seems like he can be up in the booth?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1547 on: November 10, 2023, 02:54:55 PM »
Seems like he can be up in the booth?

Honestly, he should jet pack into the stadium

• All American
« Reply #1548 on: November 10, 2023, 02:58:46 PM »

Nice.

This is just the best punishment. It's largely symbolic and turns Michigan into martyrs.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1549 on: November 10, 2023, 03:10:20 PM »

This is just the best punishment. It's largely symbolic and turns Michigan into martyrs.

The mismanagement by the Big Ten has been incredible

feedback