[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85120 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2023 College Football Thread
« Reply #1400 on: October 22, 2023, 11:33:38 AM »
Agree, and agree.

But I do get that they are competitors who love football and want to play.

Plus some of them are getting a pretty good salary.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1401 on: October 23, 2023, 11:20:19 AM »
Mizzou is feeling itself at 7-1.  We got into the car after dinner and the post game radio show was on the station we had on.  The host was talking about how "Georgia will not be an easy one."  Gee, ya think?  The team that has won 24 straight games, 40 of 41 games, and the last 2 national titles won't be an easy game for the Mizzou Tigers?

I guess I don't get it. Mizzou may very well get thumped by a million at Georgia. No one would be surprised at that. But a) why not enjoy it and b) seems like a mundane comment that the next game is challenging. What is the host suppposed to say? They have no chance, don't tune into the game in two weeks?

Last year's game was a competitive game for them v Georgia, when Mizzou led by 10 in the 4th quarter, got too conservative and ran out of gas, losing 26-22 on a late 4th quarter td. And their team is better this year. So of course they feel encouraged. Again that doesn't mean it will be a close or good game. It may not be.

They reached 7-1 on their homecoming, and they are probably a little frustrated they let the LSU game slip away late. But that seems pretty fun. I know their newer AD (big upgrade) is pretty excited about selling out all of their games and having another facilities master plan announcement coming up in November. This is after opening up their 2nd indoor football facility this past Summer. They haven't had this much fun since Gary Pinkel went to 5 of 7 conference title games over 2 leagues, before he stepped down after his cancer diagnosis.

If it was their postgame, I know their long time pxp guy, Mike Kelly. He's in the Sean McDonough mold of broadcasting. He's also pretty.level headed.

They will certainly be challenged playing UGA and UT back to back and they could lose both.
But 10-2, 9-3 type of season is pretty good and fun for many schools. Last year jiust under 50% of the final top 25 had at least 3 losses.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1402 on: October 23, 2023, 11:32:54 AM »
I guess I don't get it. Mizzou may very well get thumped by a million at Georgia. No one would be surprised at that. But a) why not enjoy it and b) seems like a mundane comment that the next game is challenging. What is the host suppposed to say? They have no chance, don't tune into the game in two weeks?

Last year's game was a competitive game for them v Georgia, when Mizzou led by 10 in the 4th quarter, got too conservative and ran out of gas, losing 26-22 on a late 4th quarter td. And their team is better this year. So of course they feel encouraged. Again that doesn't mean it will be a close or good game. It may not be.

They reached 7-1 on their homecoming, and they are probably a little frustrated they let the LSU game slip away late. But that seems pretty fun. I know their newer AD (big upgrade) is pretty excited about selling out all of their games and having another facilities master plan announcement coming up in November. This is after opening up their 2nd indoor football facility this past Summer. They haven't had this much fun since Gary Pinkel went to 5 of 7 conference title games over 2 leagues, before he stepped down after his cancer diagnosis.

If it was their postgame, I know their long time pxp guy, Mike Kelly. He's in the Sean McDonough mold of broadcasting. He's also pretty.level headed.

They will certainly be challenged playing UGA and UT back to back and they could lose both.
But 10-2, 9-3 type of season is pretty good and fun for many schools. Last year jiust under 50% of the final top 25 had at least 3 losses.

Who said anything otherwise about any of this?

"The next game won't be easy" seems to be understating things, just a bit.  But hey, that's just my opinion.  Sorry if that comes off as a slight to this great state of Missouri.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1403 on: October 23, 2023, 11:40:29 AM »
Plus some of them are getting a pretty good salary.

You know, that's a real good point, Lenny. I wonder if NIL money will have anything to do with decisions these guys make re playing in non-playoff bowl games.

Do they have "contracts" requiring they play in bowl games, even if they are "minor" bowls? Is a portion of Player X's NIL money tied to playing in the Beef O'Brady Bowl? Or can these athletes accept NIL money with no strings attached, meaning they can make bowl-or-no-bowl decisions that they, their parents and their agents believe are most prudent?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1404 on: October 23, 2023, 11:48:43 AM »
Who said anything otherwise about any of this?

"The next game won't be easy" seems to be understating things, just a bit.  But hey, that's just my opinion.  Sorry if that comes off as a slight to this great state of Missouri.

I'm just responding to your post. I didn't hear the comment. You didn't provide a link to it. Any team can be the example. Although I'm.sure responses would come quick if i had used Wisconsin as an example. I'm not sure what a better choice of words would have been in your example? Seems spot on to me.

I also think you are projecting here. I believe you live (unhappily?) in Columbia, MO, yes? (I am not someone that calls it CoMo) I did eventually receive your message asking if I knew that area. I went a very long time here forgetting to check private messages. I do try check them now more often.

if you take your comment here, and your recent one about custard, etc...maybe it's more about you living there than about me. You can always relocate if you are unhappy there.

I'm willing to bet it was a pretty good time there this past weekend. I've had some good times in Madison too, and many other places.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 11:50:21 AM by shoothoops »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1405 on: October 23, 2023, 11:56:54 AM »
I'm just responding to your post. I didn't hear the comment. You didn't provide a link to it. Any team can be the example. Although I'm.sure responses would come quick if i had used Wisconsin as an example. I'm not sure what a better choice of words would have been in your example? Seems spot on to me.

I also think you are projecting here. I believe you live (unhappily?) in Columbia, MO, yes? (I am not someone that calls it CoMo) I did eventually receive your message asking if I knew that area. I went a very long time here forgetting to check private messages. I do try check them now more often.

if you take your comment here, and your recent one about custard, etc...maybe it's more about you living there than about me. You can always relocate if you are unhappy there.

I'm willing to bet it was a pretty good time there this past weekend. I've had some good times in Madison too, and many other places.

Enjoying Columbia quite a bit.  I just have no problem when someone says something about a city in a state that I live in that isn't even a shot at the city or the state.  I've never seen someone be so quick to defend every single thing that has to do with their favorite state as you.  I'm not even knocking the football team, the excitement around the program, etc.  The extreme offense you take to anything that isn't, "Mizzou is in MO, so it's the greatest athletic program ever created" is wild.  And then you act like you're being persecuted when someone is like, "Holy smokes that's an overreaction buddy" to your novel responses.

I do wish they had better custard here, for sure.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 11:58:44 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1406 on: October 23, 2023, 12:00:39 PM »
Save it for the judge, wades.

We got Jew-haters in one thread, and a Mizzou-hater in this one.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1407 on: October 23, 2023, 12:06:06 PM »
Enjoying Columbia quite a bit.  I just have no problem when someone says something about a city in a state that I live in that isn't even a shot at the city or the state.  I've never seen someone be so quick to defend every single thing that has to do with their favorite state as you.  I'm not even knocking the football team, the excitement around the program, etc.  The extreme offense you take to anything that isn't, "Mizzou is in MO, so it's the greatest athletic program ever created" is wild.  And then you act like you're being persecuted when someone is like, "Holy smokes that's an overreaction buddy" to your novel responses.

I do wish they had better custard here, for sure.

It doesn't seem like you are enjoying yourself. Again you are projecting here and you are reading tone that isn't there. My comment couldn''t have been more relaxed and matter.of fact. My simple question was what would have been a better thing to.say? A place that doesn't win often is winning and enjoying themselves. And they said the next game.wouldm't be easy.

I talk about a lot of geographies here. But only one seems.to get posts like this. I wonder why that is.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1408 on: October 23, 2023, 12:13:29 PM »
It doesn't seem like you are enjoying yourself. Again you are projecting here and you are reading tone that isn't there. My comment couldn''t have been more relaxed and matter.of fact. My simple question was what would have been a better thing to.say? A place that doesn't win often is winning and enjoying themselves. And they said the next game.wouldm't be easy.

I talk about a lot of geographies here. But only one seems.to get posts like this. I wonder why that is.

Maybe because of threads like this where you have numerous posts defending the state of Missouri from innocuous comments.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1409 on: October 23, 2023, 12:18:57 PM »
Maybe because of threads like this where you have numerous posts defending the state of Missouri from innocuous comments.

You're projecting.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1410 on: October 23, 2023, 12:39:39 PM »

Yeah. I wonder.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1411 on: October 23, 2023, 12:42:19 PM »
Yeah. I wonder.

There's life out there beyond the tribe.

• All American
« Reply #1412 on: October 23, 2023, 12:58:45 PM »
There's life out there beyond the tribe.

Says the dude who felt compelled to respond to a post from two days ago that otherwise received no traction.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1413 on: October 23, 2023, 01:14:38 PM »
Says the dude who felt compelled to respond to a post from two days ago that otherwise received no traction.

And almost immediately stating someone had a differing opinion because they were unhappy with their own life, makes a snide remark about CoMo which I imagine was something Wades said in his PM, and then suggests he should move.  Just wild.

Also, not sure about that random Sean McDonough comparison.  Comparing the voice of Mizzou who has never worked outside of the state to a guy who has called nearly every major sport outside of soccer and is top 3 most accomplished living broadcasters because they are both level headed is wonderful homerism.

Kudos to Mizzou for taking advantage of a favorable early schedule.  Being in the SEC East (even though they are the 3rd most western school in the conference  :o) helps.  But to Drinkwitz's credit, they've not really had "bad losses" since he's arrived in CoMo, they largely beat teams they should and its a toss up in closer matchups.  Thats not a bad blueprint for a building a program early on in a tough conference

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1414 on: October 23, 2023, 01:20:30 PM »

Lol. You have 10,125 posts. Some of us don't read and post in all of the threads daily.

Clearly with 10,125 posts, you aren't new here. I post about what interests me. I don't post hoping for traction  or for what interests you or anyone else.

Wades made my post about geography which it wasn't. And the same few tribe members like you jump in like clockwork as opposed to any of the other many topics I discuss here.

• All American
« Reply #1415 on: October 23, 2023, 01:24:35 PM »
I don't post hoping for traction  or for what interests you or anyone else.

You are wildly successful in that regard.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1416 on: October 23, 2023, 01:29:09 PM »
And almost immediately stating someone had a differing opinion because they were unhappy with their own life, makes a snide remark about CoMo which I imagine was something Wades said in his PM, and then suggests he should move.  Just wild.

Also, not sure about that random Sean McDonough comparison.  Comparing the voice of Mizzou who has never worked outside of the state to a guy who has called nearly every major sport outside of soccer and is top 3 most accomplished living broadcasters because they are both level headed is wonderful homerism.

Kudos to Mizzou for taking advantage of a favorable early schedule.  Being in the SEC East (even though they are the 3rd most western school in the conference  :o) helps.  But to Drinkwitz's credit, they've not really had "bad losses" since he's arrived in CoMo, they largely beat teams they should and its a toss up in closer matchups.  Thats not a bad blueprint for a building a program early on in a tough conference

You have quite the imagination there. Incredible actually. I don't even understand your first paragraph..

Then your post gets more strange. Can't believe I am going to respond to a strange pxp comment here. A pxp broadcaster somehow has more credibility to you if they work nationally. Lol. Some of the best pxp broadcasters out there are local. And some of the worst ones are national. Yipes.

Then you ramble on about Mizzou's schedule, their coach, lol. None of that stuff interests me.

This is a lot of effort here. I especially love rhe part about you guessing and assuming (incorrectly) the contents of a PM. Maybe try decaf.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 01:36:55 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1417 on: October 23, 2023, 01:35:20 PM »
You are wildly successful in that regard.

I'm not performing for an audience. I'm not trying to be one of the fellas.

I post about what interests me. If others are interested too and have something positive or interesting to share, great. If not that's great too.

I thought that's how everyone else posted too. How does that work for you? Do you plan what posts you think will obtain engagement? That sounds like a lot of work and a lot of social validation. 

• All American
« Reply #1418 on: October 23, 2023, 01:37:08 PM »
I'm not performing for an audience. I'm not trying to be one of the fellas.

I post about what interests me. If others are interested too and have something positive or interesting to share, great. If not that's great too.

I thought that's how everyone else posted too. How does that work for you? Do you plan what posts you think will obtain engagement? That sounds like a lot of work and a lot of social validation. 

I just gave you a compliment. You are accomplishing your goals!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1419 on: October 23, 2023, 01:44:37 PM »

You're projecting!

Everybody's projecting except Yadi's cousin.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1420 on: October 23, 2023, 01:47:06 PM »

I just gave you a compliment. You are accomplishing your goals!

I didn’t take it as an insult. I think your feelings are hurt.

I was just pointing out to you that I skip more threads here than I read. And it may take me a few days or longer to read something or post about something.

You have over 10k posts so I suppose it would make sense that posting for you most often happens in real time.

I’m happy to talk college football. I’m more of an ACC, SEC, Pac 12 etc…leagues, but I’ve been to my share of Big 10 games and campuses too.

• All American
« Reply #1421 on: October 23, 2023, 01:50:46 PM »
I didn’t take it as an insult. I think your feelings are hurt.

Why would my feelings be hurt by complimenting you?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1422 on: October 23, 2023, 01:51:35 PM »
You're projecting!

Everybody's projecting except Yadi's cousin.

This is an example of the above reference of someone desperate to be part of the tribe, to be one of the fellas, seeking that response of social validation.

Thank you for being right on time. It’s the same group, every time.

You and the same few others will be waiting a long time for me to bash Mizzou or St. Louis. You will also be waiting a long time for me to bash U of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Notre Dame, or insert place or people here. It isn’t my thing. I’m not going to change the way I post. Besides the tribe sounds exhausting.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1423 on: October 23, 2023, 01:53:21 PM »

Then you ramble on about Mizzou's schedule, their coach, lol. None of that stuff interests me.

You attack Wades for commenting on Mizzou's fanbase/radio show/state of the program.  Then when I actually talk about and speak accurately about Mizzou's program and their coach, complimenting them no less...you say you have no interest.  Way to tell on yourself.

Maybe stick to talking to yourself in the Tennis thread like its your own Twitter account.  Other people post in there and you rarely say anything unless there is the chance to deride others for not having the breadth of Tennis knowledge and experience you do.  But yep, we're all the unhappy ones  :o

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1424 on: October 23, 2023, 01:59:22 PM »
Jesus christ
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback