[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85165 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: 2023 College Football Thread
« Reply #1375 on: October 21, 2023, 10:46:04 PM »
Interesting decision by Michigan State to have a Hitler trivia question shown on their video board today.
Michigan State is class and dignity always. ::)

Seriously, what is wrong with that school and the people who "run" it? Is it possible an institution of higher learning has no idea what just happened in Israel?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1376 on: October 21, 2023, 11:38:29 PM »
Iowa/Minnesota set a record for lowest o/u in FBS history at 30.5. What’s even better is if you took the under on that things are looking really good under 2 minutes left.
Another great game.by.the.Iowa QB 10/28  for 116 yds, and is rating went.up!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1377 on: October 22, 2023, 12:02:42 AM »
Lincoln Riley is going to wind up coaching Eastern Washington in two years, and he’ll absolutely deserve it.

Some people this week suggested he wants to move after this season to the NFL. Totally absurd to think he’d be a successful NFL coach.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 12:11:24 AM by DegenerateDish »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1378 on: October 22, 2023, 12:26:39 AM »
Michigan State is class and dignity always. ::)

Seriously, what is wrong with that school and the people who "run" it? Is it possible an institution of higher learning has no idea what just happened in Israel?

The claim is that they use a third party company for videoboard content and had no idea that they were going to do this.  They immediately fired the company and said they will start screening content in the future.

Probably wise to always screen third party videoboard content.  Honestly, I don't know that i would've thought of it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1379 on: October 22, 2023, 07:22:28 AM »
The claim is that they use a third party company for videoboard content and had no idea that they were going to do this.  They immediately fired the company and said they will start screening content in the future.

Probably wise to always screen third party videoboard content.  Honestly, I don't know that i would've thought of it.
As a singular incident, I think something like it could happen anywhere. Any other schools would fire the company and internal staff involved. But there is a clear track record horrible/criminal leadership at MSU, whether intentional (Nasser) or willfully negligent (Hitler) and all the other crap in between.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1380 on: October 22, 2023, 07:23:11 AM »
As a singular incident, I think something like it could happen anywhere. Any other schools would fire the company and internal staff involved. But there is a clear track record horrible/criminal leadership at MSU, whether intentional (Nasser) or willfully negligent (Hitler) and all the other crap in between.

That seems like a stretch.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1381 on: October 22, 2023, 07:27:14 AM »

• All American
« Reply #1382 on: October 22, 2023, 07:32:04 AM »
You yourself said that scoreboard Hitler could happen anywhere. Trying to connect it to the Nasser issue is a bit much. It was a third party vendor, that has since been fired.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #1383 on: October 22, 2023, 07:45:40 AM »
Lincoln Riley is going to wind up coaching Eastern Washington in two years, and he’ll absolutely deserve it.

Some people this week suggested he wants to move after this season to the NFL. Totally absurd to think he’d be a successful NFL coach.

What USC needs is a old school defensive coordinator because that defense is SOFT.  And it really shouldn't be because there should be enough talent there.  Someone like Will Muschamp. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1384 on: October 22, 2023, 07:46:08 AM »
Virginia beats UNC on the road. Big Upset. Good quality game broadcast on  The CW Sports Network.

Is that the network that occasionally has a few thousand people watch them broadcast the golf league owned by a regime that blames Israel for what happened on October 7th?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1385 on: October 22, 2023, 07:53:26 AM »
You yourself said that scoreboard Hitler could happen anywhere. Trying to connect it to the Nasser issue is a bit much. It was a third party vendor, that has since been fired.
That's fair. I, personally, am seeing a pronounced pattern of terrible leadership at that school.

Not that it makes me correct, but a quick look at an MSU board showed a lot of fans echoing my position. "we need to cut the rot out", "we need to clean house up to the president", etc. 

• All American
« Reply #1386 on: October 22, 2023, 08:05:10 AM »
That's fair. I, personally, am seeing a pronounced pattern of terrible leadership at that school.

Not that it makes me correct, but a quick look at an MSU board showed a lot of fans echoing my position. "we need to cut the rot out", "we need to clean house up to the president", etc. 

Oh I think there are plenty of leadership issues at MSU. I just think scoreboard Hitler isn't really an example of that.

Perhaps symbolic of it though.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1387 on: October 22, 2023, 08:13:17 AM »
Oh I think there are plenty of leadership issues at MSU. I just think scoreboard Hitler isn't really an example of that.

Perhaps symbolic of it though.
That may be a better way of stating it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1388 on: October 22, 2023, 08:55:16 AM »
Saw a graphic with Heisman odds?  Then looked up stats.  Seems JJ McCarthy and Marvin Harrison should be 1-2.  Haven’t seen any games and pretty much just read recaps and the such but they’ve been the best week-in-week out?

• All American
« Reply #1389 on: October 22, 2023, 09:11:44 AM »
That may be a better way of stating it.

OK, now I might have to back off this statement. Apparently the "third party" was a Youtube channel that posted the video over a week ago and no one actually went through the process of reviewing it. (Or they did and didn't think it was a problem.)  I wonder if they ever paid royalties to actually use it?

https://x.com/bubbaprog/status/1715917244780118212?s=20

Anyway, after watching this, the jolly music in the background makes everything OK....right?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1390 on: October 22, 2023, 09:12:45 AM »

OK, now I might have to back off this statement. Apparently the "third party" was a Youtube channel that posted the video over a week ago and no one actually went through the process of reviewing it. (Or they did and didn't think it was a problem.)  I wonder if they ever paid royalties to actually use it?

https://x.com/bubbaprog/status/1715917244780118212?s=20

Anyway, after watching this, the jolly music in the background makes everything OK....right?

Tom Izzo thinks the real problem is the transfer portal and cell phones

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1391 on: October 22, 2023, 09:25:27 AM »
Tom Izzo thinks the real problem is the transfer portal and cell phones
Tom Izzo is probably still wondering if Hitler was responsible for The Holocaust. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1392 on: October 22, 2023, 09:59:02 AM »
Iowa/Minnesota set a record for lowest o/u in FBS history at 30.5. What’s even better is if you took the under on that things are looking really good under 2 minutes left.

Iowa fans are crying about the call on the punt return, but I like The Athletic's take:

Tough call, sure, but how much sympathy can we muster for a team that spent the second half gaining all of two yards? Goal for next week: Advance the ball at least seven feet. Maybe even an entire Wemby.

Agree totally.

If I'm part of Marvin Harrison Jr.'s camp, I'm seriously worried McCord is going to get him killed before the year is over.

Yep. It's too bad Harrison wasn't allowed to opt for the draft after last season. Ridiculous rule by the NFL.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1393 on: October 22, 2023, 09:59:14 AM »
Is that the network that occasionally has a few thousand people watch them broadcast the golf league owned by a regime that blames Israel for what happened on October 7th?
more importantly it airs "whose line is it anyway" re-runs.

• All American
« Reply #1394 on: October 22, 2023, 10:05:51 AM »
Yep. It's too bad Harrison wasn't allowed to opt for the draft after last season. Ridiculous rule by the NFL.

And the NFLPA.

More players should just sit their junior years IMO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1395 on: October 22, 2023, 10:07:21 AM »
And the NFLPA.

More players should just sit their junior years IMO.

Agree, and agree.

But I do get that they are competitors who love football and want to play.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1396 on: October 22, 2023, 10:12:26 AM »

What USC needs is a old school defensive coordinator because that defense is SOFT.  And it really shouldn't be because there should be enough talent there.  Someone like Will Muschamp.

1000%.  But also I think Riley just so de-emphasizes defense that it’s not a mentality.  Muschamp is actually a really good call.  A doofus of a HC but a defensive savant

I’m quick to criticize dumb rules like this, but I will say, when it was created (and even 10ish years ago), I think it was totally fair.  Freshmen/sophomores just weren’t physically ready to get pummeled by NFL level players.  It was a safety thing.  However, as we see now, with S&C becoming so much better, even at the HS level, these are no longer under developed kids by sophomore year.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1397 on: October 22, 2023, 10:12:52 AM »
more importantly it airs "whose line is it anyway" re-runs.

They actually cut away from the post-game interviews to air “Last Man Standing” and “Price is Right Reruns”

Imagine putting your events on that network and then getting postgame interviews cut for Tim Allen and Drew Carrey

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1398 on: October 22, 2023, 10:25:05 AM »

I’d love to figure out what portion of blame is Riley vs Williams, but another game full of Williams red flagging himself as a high pick.

The drive late in the 4th down 8 was a prime example…

Takes a sack early in the drive almost solely because he wasn’t paying attention in the pocket.

Few plays later makes an INSANE throw moving to his left and jumping firing a bullet down the sideline.  Truly a wow play.

But then 3 plays later, almost murders his WR by forces a feathering ball across the middle for what would have been at most a 4 yard gain instead of throwing it away.  Rice gets LEVELED

Then, 3rd and 4 from the 8 down 8 with under 4 min left…he literally drops the ball cocking his arm back and takes an 11 yard loss forcing a FG.

All added to a fairly underwhelming stat line.  Utah has a very good D, but still. He got outplayed by Utah’s backup.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1399 on: October 22, 2023, 10:37:41 AM »
Delighted to see FSU beat Duke.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback