[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85204 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: 2023 College Football Thread
« Reply #1325 on: October 15, 2023, 11:29:48 AM »
Nebraska ran the I-formation and option offense with athletically skilled QBs.  Alvarez played at Nebraska before they ran that kind of offense.

Also, Alvarez cut his teeth as an assistant under Hayden Fry at Iowa.

The only thing Wisconsin had in common with Nebraska was the steroid use.

Yeah, funny enough, Osborne became OC and revamped the offense with Devaney LITERALLY a year after Barry graduated

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1326 on: October 15, 2023, 11:30:59 AM »
Yeah, funny enough, Osborne became OC and revamped the offense with Devaney LITERALLY a year after Barry graduated

Wisconsin didn’t run anything resembling a Nebraska offense other than they handed it off a lot
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1327 on: October 15, 2023, 11:35:53 AM »
No, he wasn't. He was a Notre Dame assistant. He played at Nebraska...23 years before he got to Wisconsin and before Tom Osborne took the helm in Lincoln. Alvarez never coached above the high school level in the state of Nebraska.

ND assistant but spent most of his coaching career under Fry at Iowa. Recruited the hell out of Wisconsin back then.

But that was a long time ago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1328 on: October 15, 2023, 11:49:28 AM »
No, he wasn't. He was a Notre Dame assistant. He played at Nebraska...23 years before he got to Wisconsin and before Tom Osborne took the helm in Lincoln. Alvarez never coached above the high school level in the state of Nebraska.
Correction Noted
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1329 on: October 15, 2023, 12:23:45 PM »
Correction Noted

He didn’t bring a Nebraska system to Wisconsin. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1330 on: October 15, 2023, 12:27:58 PM »
He didn’t bring a Nebraska system to Wisconsin.
Correction noted
            ---Al McGuire

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1331 on: October 15, 2023, 01:14:13 PM »
That said, I like Fickell and I think he will do very well. Maybe not CFP great but very good.

I’m interested to see what the new B10 does for expectations of the current B10 West. I would bet that 7 out of every conference championship games are going to be two of the west coast teams, Mich, OSU, and PSU. 3-4 loss conference seasons won’t be “one game out of the B10 championship game” anymore.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1332 on: October 15, 2023, 01:24:03 PM »
I’m interested to see what the new B10 does for expectations of the current B10 West. I would bet that 7 out of every conference championship games are going to be two of the west coast teams, Mich, OSU, and PSU. 3-4 loss conference seasons won’t be “one game out of the B10 championship game” anymore.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, and I certainly stand to be corrected if wrong, but I understood the B10 was canning the East/West Divisions and going with one 16 team League. First place and second place play for the championship. Right? Wrong?

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1333 on: October 15, 2023, 01:42:57 PM »
The size and athleticism on display during the Washington vs Oregon will make Wisconsin miserable regardless of Fickell “improved” recruiting.

Wisconsin plays Alabama the two next years, yikes.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1334 on: October 15, 2023, 01:47:53 PM »
Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, and I certainly stand to be corrected if wrong, but I understood the B10 was canning the East/West Divisions and going with one 16 team League. First place and second place play for the championship. Right? Wrong?

Yup, that’s my understanding too. I just mean that proximity to the B10 championship in the current structure has helped make middling seasons at Iowa, WI, Purdue, etc look better than they are. Now those same seasons will just be afterthoughts in the standings of the mega conference, and I wonder if those fanbases will notice/care.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1335 on: October 15, 2023, 01:53:30 PM »
The size and athleticism on display during the Washington vs Oregon will make Wisconsin miserable regardless of Fickell “improved” recruiting.

Wisconsin plays Alabama the two next years, yikes.

Now’s the time to play Bama.  They are on a steep decline

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1336 on: October 15, 2023, 04:24:29 PM »
Yup, that’s my understanding too. I just mean that proximity to the B10 championship in the current structure has helped make middling seasons at Iowa, WI, Purdue, etc look better than they are. Now those same seasons will just be afterthoughts in the standings of the mega conference, and I wonder if those fanbases will notice/care.

You make an excellent point and one I've kind of been wondering about, too. So the B10 mega-conference makes a bazillion dollars from media rights. But if your team has lost 2 conference games by early October under the new setup you're pretty much screwed as far as championship aspirations go. At least under the current 2 division setup, the B10 West is competitive most of the season. Starting next year what interest is there going to be  in a Minnesota-Northwestern game in mid October when the only thing on the line is 13th place. 2/3rds of the B10 football fans will have nothing to root for this time next year ( notwithstanding, I'll sleep just fine).

• All American
« Reply #1337 on: October 15, 2023, 04:30:43 PM »
You make an excellent point and one I've kind of been wondering about, too. So the B10 mega-conference makes a bazillion dollars from media rights. But if your team has lost 2 conference games by early October under the new setup you're pretty much screwed as far as championship aspirations go. At least under the current 2 division setup, the B10 West is competitive most of the season. Starting next year what interest is there going to be  in a Minnesota-Northwestern game in mid October when the only thing on the line is 13th place. 2/3rds of the B10 football fans will have nothing to root for this time next year ( notwithstanding, I'll sleep just fine).

College football games are events upon themselves. There will be plenty of people in the stands and watching on TV.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1338 on: October 15, 2023, 05:00:58 PM »
ND assistant but spent most of his coaching career under Fry at Iowa. Recruited the hell out of Wisconsin back then.

But that was a long time ago.

Sure, but I remember the media coverage when Barry arrived. It was a BIG deal that they got him from Notre Dame.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1339 on: October 15, 2023, 05:03:15 PM »
Sure, but I remember the media coverage when Barry arrived. It was a BIG deal that they got him from Notre Dame.

Well, he was the DC of a national title winner at Notre Dame but he was way more a Hayden Fry guy than Notre Dame guy. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1340 on: October 15, 2023, 05:53:34 PM »

I remember the bad old days of the Big Ten in the late 60s 70s era of Bo and Woody domination. The other 8 teams games did not have much to offer and the games did not have much energy around them .   Every once in a while there would be an outstanding individual to watch but not much beyond that .
            ---Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #1341 on: October 15, 2023, 06:04:40 PM »
Well, he was the DC of a national title winner at Notre Dame but he was way more a Hayden Fry guy than Notre Dame guy. 

Alvarez left Iowa because Hayden Fry's longtime defensive coordinator had no desire to become a head coach. I actually believe that Fry encouraged Holtz to hire him.

brew is right that it was considered a huge get for Wisconsin. But Alrarez knew that Wisconsin had a ton of potential. As I said, he used to recruit the state heavily for Iowa and knew there was talent there.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1342 on: October 15, 2023, 06:08:05 PM »

Alvarez left Iowa because Hayden Fry's longtime defensive coordinator had no desire to become a head coach. I actually believe that Fry encouraged Holtz to hire him.

brew is right that it was considered a huge get for Wisconsin. But Alrarez knew that Wisconsin had a ton of potential. As I said, he used to recruit the state heavily for Iowa and knew there was talent there.

Yes to all that

WhiteTrash

• All American

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1344 on: October 19, 2023, 03:49:26 PM »
Now’s the time to play Bama.  They are on a steep decline

Bama had the third-best recruiting class in history last year, per 247.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1345 on: October 19, 2023, 04:01:35 PM »
Bama had the third-best recruiting class in history last year, per 247.

Classes have all been good.  Development hasn’t been good.  They’ve missed the mark at QB

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: October 19, 2023, 04:45:47 PM »
Classes have all been good.  Development hasn’t been good.  They’ve missed the mark at QB

I sense sarcasm.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1347 on: October 19, 2023, 05:00:34 PM »
I sense sarcasm.

No, I’m serious on the QB.  Ty Simpson was supposed to be the next star QB and he couldn’t beat out Milroe and they brought Buchner in, who isn’t exactly a star.  At this point, Simpson should have won the job.  He’s looking like a miss.

They have a 5* in this class at QB and maybe he comes in and starts right away but the position isn’t very good right now.

They’ve also had so much turnover on the staff, which has been a constant in the Saban era, but at some point, historically, that catches up to you.  Kevin Steele is the DC.  Woof

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1348 on: October 19, 2023, 06:08:24 PM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1349 on: October 19, 2023, 06:10:19 PM »
When he has his lawyer commenting - all I hear is ‘guilty, guilty, guilty’.

About time Michigan got serious about winning a national title