[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85117 times)

RJax55

• All American
Re: 2023 College Football Thread
« Reply #975 on: July 12, 2023, 09:31:16 AM »
Why would NW have suspended him for just a couple games if they were just looking to get out of a big contract and save money?  Seems like they actually knew they had a serious problem but were hoping to sweep it under the rug and keep their guy there.

Exactly. If the goal was to dump Fitz and his contract, then why not release the full report and fire him on Friday? Instead, they did the opposite.

Pretty clear the initial goal was to save Fitz and try to keep a lid on the findings. His punishment, the two-week suspension, was designed to have as little impact on the program as possible in what was a critical season for him.

One thing I agree with WT on is that Fitz is going to get his cash. The irony of course is that because NU waffled on this decision, he is likely to get significantly more. If NU had been more cutthroat and fired him on Friday at the first opportunity to do so, I bet he would end up with less.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #976 on: July 12, 2023, 09:55:13 AM »
Good points on the suspension being changed to firing does not support NW looking to bail on his contract. I will concede that point.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #977 on: July 12, 2023, 09:57:54 AM »
Do we know this? I honestly don't remember reading that but may have missed it.

Universities can't publicly discuss discipline for students so no announcement does not necessarily mean no punishment. Also this sounds like it goes back years. Any alleged perpatrators who have already graduated or transferred are largely beyond the universitys reach.
Well I would think that hazing to the level of terminating the HC, would merit at least a 1/2 game suspension (reasonable people could argue expulsion from NW). I believe Big10 schools announce player suspensions.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #978 on: July 12, 2023, 10:02:59 AM »
In other NW news, it looks like the $800 million stadium redo is going the way of MU's soccer stadium.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #979 on: July 12, 2023, 10:11:55 AM »
Well I would think that hazing to the level of terminating the HC, would merit at least a 1/2 game suspension (reasonable people could argue expulsion from NW). I believe Big10 schools announce player suspensions.

My guess would be get the HC action out of the way as that’s the most high profile. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more suspensions/firings coming, but much less public.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #980 on: July 12, 2023, 11:44:12 AM »

They can announce suspensions for "violations of team rules". They don't have to announce them,  especially during the summer. They also don't announce expulsions. My guess is that if you check the transfer portal,  you'll find some of the perpatrators.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #981 on: July 12, 2023, 11:48:26 AM »
Hope Fitz gets another job but in woke America you get fired for hazing and racism
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #982 on: July 12, 2023, 12:54:20 PM »
Hope Fitz gets another job but in woke America you get fired for hazing and racism

Just ask Mike Lindell!

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #983 on: July 12, 2023, 01:35:43 PM »
They can announce suspensions for "violations of team rules". They don't have to announce them,  especially during the summer. They also don't announce expulsions. My guess is that if you check the transfer portal,  you'll find some of the perpatrators.
I suppose, in typical NU ethical fashion, they may wait until this 30 day transfer window closes before dropping the bomb on the players.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #984 on: July 12, 2023, 01:48:08 PM »
I suppose, in typical NU ethical fashion, they may wait until this 30 day transfer window closes before dropping the bomb on the players.

I guarentee that if any current students were sanctioned for this,  it already happened
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #987 on: July 12, 2023, 08:13:45 PM »

• All American
« Reply #988 on: July 12, 2023, 08:18:56 PM »
Didn't his LSU teams get hit with violations, vacated victories and bowl bans?

It was a joke but yeah…
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #989 on: July 12, 2023, 09:33:34 PM »
Just ask Mike Lindell!

Interesting that Sultan didn’t attack you over derailing this thread.  ::)

Maybe he’s waiting for a post from Lenny.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #990 on: July 18, 2023, 05:04:24 PM »
Here come the lawsuits.

Just keeps getting worse for Fitzgerald and Northwestern.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #991 on: July 18, 2023, 05:14:48 PM »
Here come the lawsuits.

Just keeps getting worse for Fitzgerald and Northwestern.

Fitzgerald will be fine. He's probably going to walk away with an eight-figure settlement, and college coaches with even a slight record of success have nine lives. Hugh Freeze used a school phone to hire prostitutes and Auburn just gave him $40 million. DJ Durkin killed a kid and he just got hired as Texas A&M's defensive coordinator.
A hazing scandal is child's play. I'd be stunned if Fitzgerald isn't a coordinator or better at a P5 school by 2027.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #992 on: July 18, 2023, 05:22:11 PM »
You’re probably right, Pak.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #993 on: July 18, 2023, 07:07:50 PM »
Nah, he's had opportunities to bolt for the NFL in the past. Eye's bee surprised if he turns it down now and duzant leave the candy game of college athletics behind, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #994 on: July 18, 2023, 09:16:37 PM »
Nah, he's had opportunities to bolt for the NFL in the past. Eye's bee surprised if he turns it down now and duzant leave the candy game of college athletics behind, aina?

I have my doubts that he would be an effective NFL head coach. Will have to pay his dues as a coordinator first.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #995 on: July 21, 2023, 12:30:31 AM »

Lane Kiffin says state of college football is 'a disaster'
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38042106/lane-kiffin-says-state-college-football-disaster
 Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin didn't wait for questions on the impact of the transfer portal and name, image and likeness deals at SEC media days on Thursday. Instead, he addressed both topics during his opening statement, calling the current state of college football a "disaster."

Kiffin prefaced his comments by saying he's happy that players can get paid but said the unintended consequence of NIL is a "pay-for-play" system where players follow the money and the teams with the deepest pockets get the best talent.

With the transfer portal, Kiffin said, "free agency" now exists -- except that, unlike professional sports, every college player can enter into free agency twice a year with the spring and winter transfer windows.

Said Kiffin: "We've got professional sports," except with no salary cap or luxury tax, and the result is myriad "issues" for coaches.

"And I'm not complaining about it 'cause we take advantage, obviously, of free agency," he added.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

• All American
« Reply #996 on: July 21, 2023, 03:04:27 AM »
Maybe if people could have seen this coming and made suggestions for reform years ago… 🤔🤔🤔

Anyway he’s paid handsomely to figure this out. And the ratings are huge again this year.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #997 on: July 21, 2023, 06:32:32 AM »
Maybe if people could have seen this coming and made suggestions for reform years ago… 🤔🤔🤔

Anyway he’s paid handsomely to figure this out. And the ratings are huge again this year.

College football is doomed
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #998 on: July 21, 2023, 07:43:25 AM »
Lane Kiffin says state of college football is 'a disaster'
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38042106/lane-kiffin-says-state-college-football-disaster
 Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin didn't wait for questions on the impact of the transfer portal and name, image and likeness deals at SEC media days on Thursday. Instead, he addressed both topics during his opening statement, calling the current state of college football a "disaster."

Kiffin prefaced his comments by saying he's happy that players can get paid but said the unintended consequence of NIL is a "pay-for-play" system where players follow the money and the teams with the deepest pockets get the best talent.

With the transfer portal, Kiffin said, "free agency" now exists -- except that, unlike professional sports, every college player can enter into free agency twice a year with the spring and winter transfer windows.

Said Kiffin: "We've got professional sports," except with no salary cap or luxury tax, and the result is myriad "issues" for coaches.

"And I'm not complaining about it 'cause we take advantage, obviously, of free agency," he added.

The guy who bailed on Tennessee for USC aftet one season may not be the best standard bearer for this message.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #999 on: July 21, 2023, 10:02:53 AM »
The guy who bailed on Tennessee for USC aftet one season may not be the best standard bearer for this message.

When making this whine-a-thon, Kiffin even admitted that he's moved around more than any of the athletes he's talking about.

Just another rich, power-broker hypocrite who wants to keep the right to make money and move freely for his ilk.

Do NIL and the transfer portal cause some chaos? Sure. That's life. There are plenty of professions that aren't affected at all by NIL and the transfer portal. If those things bother Kiffin so much, he has the freedom as an American to quit coaching and choose one of those.

feedback