[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 85245 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #675 on: December 04, 2022, 11:10:06 AM »
I'm not sure that his point has anything to do with Bama's record ATS. I think the suggestion is that the consensus says Bama is a better team. He's right. Alabama would be the moneyline favorite over both TCU and OSU, and probably a double-digit spread favorite over TCU.
Bama made its bed with two losses, but Saban's not wrong.

He's not wrong, but it's not really relevant.  Creating hypothetical scenarios is a road that the committee shouldn't (and generally doesn't) go down.

I mean, Ohio State and Notre Dame would have been favored last year in a match-up with Cincinnati. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #676 on: December 04, 2022, 11:13:20 AM »
I'm not sure that his point has anything to do with Bama's record ATS. I think the suggestion is that the consensus says Bama is a better team. He's right. Alabama would be the moneyline favorite over both TCU and OSU, and probably a double-digit spread favorite over TCU.
Bama made its bed with two losses, but Saban's not wrong.
You make sense. I'd be interested to see where the computers would have the lines vs OSU and TCU.

• All American
« Reply #677 on: December 04, 2022, 11:13:36 AM »
It’ll be interesting to see what the matchups are. I know this is very unpopular but I would seed them like this:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC

I am strongly against the idea that teams that play in a conference championship game have something to lose against teams that don’t. It really makes zero sense to me. Teams that don’t play in their conference championship should be locked into their ranking as an upper limit with only the possibility to get bumped down.

Though that doesn’t seem like the reality and won’t be the case. Considering that, I don’t see how the committee doesn’t match up OSU and Michigan at 2 and 3. Otherwise, the playoff matchups will likely be a huge dud.

The B12 created a championship game a few years ago because they both wanted the cash and wanted to give a fringe playoff team another shot at a quality win at the end of the year. It seems to me that if a program can IMPROVE their odds to get in through a championship game, they can also WORSEN their odds too.

But I think TCU should be in.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #678 on: December 04, 2022, 11:16:15 AM »

I mean, Ohio State and Notre Dame would have been favored last year in a match-up with Cincinnati.

Ohio State maybe, but Notre Dame? The same Notre Dame that Cincy hung an 11-point home loss on in October?

FWIW, the stated mission of the selection committee is to "select the best teams."
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 11:19:30 AM by Pakuni »

• All American
« Reply #679 on: December 04, 2022, 11:23:42 AM »
Ohio State maybe, but Notre Dame? The same Notre Dame that Cincy hung an 11-point home loss on in October?

FWIW, the stated mission of the selection committee is to "select the best teams."

To be honest, I originally just had Ohio State but lazily added ND without remembering the head-to-head.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #680 on: December 04, 2022, 07:12:27 PM »
Great news for Fickell and the Badgers.

Mertz to transfer portal.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #681 on: December 04, 2022, 07:28:54 PM »
Great news for Fickell and the Badgers.

Mertz to transfer portal.

Damn.

• All American
« Reply #682 on: December 05, 2022, 07:41:01 AM »
https://www.al.com/sec/2022/12/deion-sanders-tells-colorado-players-to-hit-portal-im-bringing-my-luggage-with-me-and-its-louis.html

Again, I am not sure this is going to work. But it's going to be fun to watch either way.

And I give Colorado a lot of credit for doing something WAY different than they have done before.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #683 on: December 05, 2022, 07:57:22 AM »
https://www.al.com/sec/2022/12/deion-sanders-tells-colorado-players-to-hit-portal-im-bringing-my-luggage-with-me-and-its-louis.html

Again, I am not sure this is going to work. But it's going to be fun to watch either way.

And I give Colorado a lot of credit for doing something WAY different than they have done before.

Gotta love Dion Sanders. HIs outsized personality and his take no prisoners approach to life reminds me an awful lot of a young Al McGuire.

Al was a bit more obnoxious than Coach Prime and Coach Prime is, on the surface, probably a lot more loveable than Coach Al.

However, they both had huge personalities and they'd never won at a high level university before. Plus, they both took over crap programs.

Go get 'em Coach Prime!!!!!!

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #684 on: December 05, 2022, 09:11:28 AM »
Weird little coaching carousel spin with Cincinnati getting Satterfield from Louisville to replace Fickell, but then speculation that Louisville will be able to poach Brohm from Purdue.  I know Brohm is a Louisville alum so that skews things, but I'm inclined to believe this will happen otherwise Louisville could have matched or beaten anythign Cincy offered.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #685 on: December 05, 2022, 10:20:57 AM »
Weird little coaching carousel spin with Cincinnati getting Satterfield from Louisville to replace Fickell, but then speculation that Louisville will be able to poach Brohm from Purdue.  I know Brohm is a Louisville alum so that skews things, but I'm inclined to believe this will happen otherwise Louisville could have matched or beaten anythign Cincy offered.
I think your right but I believe the new BIG XII deal puts them ahead of the ACC in revenue per school, so maybe Cincy can offer more. 

• All American
« Reply #686 on: December 05, 2022, 01:43:45 PM »

Brohm turned them down in 2019. He might, for whatever reason, feel that this time it's different. But he has only increased his value since then.

• All American
« Reply #687 on: December 07, 2022, 10:43:29 AM »
Brohm turned them down in 2019. He might, for whatever reason, feel that this time it's different. But he has only increased his value since then.

Well apparently he does feel like this time is different. He is apparently heading back to Louisville.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #688 on: December 07, 2022, 11:01:01 AM »
Well apparently he does feel like this time is different. He is apparently heading back to Louisville.

Lets be honest, can you blame someone for not wanting to spend any more time in West Lafayette?

(not even considering he's a Louisville native, local football legend, and UofL alum)

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #689 on: December 07, 2022, 11:14:36 AM »

Is Purdue a fit for Leonard?  Or does he hold out for an NFL or top-20 CFB program defensive coordinator job?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #690 on: December 07, 2022, 11:26:22 AM »
Is Purdue a fit for Leonard?  Or does he hold out for an NFL or top-20 CFB program defensive coordinator job?

I don't think his 4-3 record as a interim HC is gonna get him any B10 level HC offers.

Dave Aranda just punted his DC at Baylor.  I could see that being his next stop as Aranda mentored him the year before he got into coaching at UW.

• All American
« Reply #691 on: December 07, 2022, 11:28:25 AM »

I think Purdue is going to go for a bigger name than that.  I mean, they have some cash and I would think would try to land a current head coach that has a similar offensive focus. Maybe someone like Jonathan Smith at Oregon State?

It's also too bad that Tom Herman took that gig at FAU.

• All American
« Reply #692 on: December 07, 2022, 11:30:01 AM »
I don't think his 4-3 record as a interim HC is gonna get him any B10 level HC offers.

Dave Aranda just punted his DC at Baylor.  I could see that being his next stop as Aranda mentored him the year before he got into coaching at UW.

Also wonder if he talked with Matt LaFleur this week.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #693 on: December 07, 2022, 03:50:55 PM »
Leonhard is staying at Wisky after all.

• All American
« Reply #694 on: December 07, 2022, 04:14:22 PM »

Where did you hear that?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #695 on: December 07, 2022, 04:37:45 PM »
Where did you hear that?

Badger fans were sharing some kind of post on social media saying that.  Looked like a basketball recruit's commitment post on social media.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #696 on: December 07, 2022, 04:40:55 PM »
Intelligent decisions by Mayer and Levis to skip ND’s and Kentucky’s exhibition games so they can stay healthy for their multimillion-dollar NFL careers.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 10:07:07 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #697 on: December 07, 2022, 05:33:19 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #698 on: December 07, 2022, 08:30:26 PM »

Yahoo news posted it today. But it turns out it was a re-post of this MJS story  from a few days back.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2022/12/03/jim-leonhard-will-return-to-wisconsin-under-new-coach-luke-fickell/69698223007/

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #699 on: December 08, 2022, 01:31:16 PM »
Deion putting together a pretty stacked coaching staff at CU so far.  Love him snagging Sean Lewis from Kent St.  He was only a decent mid major HC, but his office COOKED.  Add his up tempo and dynamic schemes to the talent that I think Deion and company will bring in, and that could be an incredibly fun offense