[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 College Football Thread  (Read 84429 times)

RJax55

• All American
Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #700 on: December 08, 2022, 01:56:38 PM »
I'm assuming that Stanford is going to be hiring Troy Taylor because I can't imagine any school hiring Jason Garrett.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #701 on: December 08, 2022, 01:57:51 PM »
I'm assuming that Stanford is going to be hiring Troy Taylor because I can't imagine any school hiring Jason Garrett.

They should hire Taylor because I like Garrett on SNF too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #702 on: December 09, 2022, 12:31:04 PM »
Jimbo potentially hiring Bobby Petrino to fix his offense is...a choice.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #703 on: December 09, 2022, 12:37:08 PM »
Jimbo potentially hiring Bobby Petrino to fix his offense is...a choice.

From a character standpoint? Sure.  But there is no question he can still coach offense.  Even his Mo St teams in FCS have been putting up a ton of points there last few years.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #704 on: December 09, 2022, 01:59:49 PM »
Just noticed UConn made a bowl. Proof positive that there are wayyyy to many bowls.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #705 on: December 09, 2022, 03:05:31 PM »
Just noticed UConn made a bowl. Proof positive that there are wayyyy to many bowls.

It was a miracle.  They won like 3 games total the last 2 seasons combined and then won 6 this year. 
They are also heavy on Freshman & Sophomores and in the first few games had a rash of major injuries to several key players to boot. 
Jim Mora is doing a heck of job.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #706 on: December 09, 2022, 05:12:09 PM »
It was a miracle.  They won like 3 games total the last 2 seasons combined and then won 6 this year. 
They are also heavy on Freshman & Sophomores and in the first few games had a rash of major injuries to several key players to boot. 
Jim Mora is doing a heck of job.
UCONN to the Big10!!

Seriously, Mora is doing a great job.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #707 on: December 09, 2022, 11:17:25 PM »
UCONN to the Big10!!

Seriously, Mora is doing a great job.

Really an incredible job when all factors are considered.  UCONN hadn’t had a winning season and only made 1 bowl game in the 11 seasons since Edsall left the first time.  And only won 6 games TOTAL the last 3 seasons.  To be 6-6 and bowl eligible in year 1 is pretty remarkable, especially considering they have really no other decent HC options

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #708 on: December 10, 2022, 08:57:05 AM »
Really an incredible job when all factors are considered.  UCONN hadn’t had a winning season and only made 1 bowl game in the 11 seasons since Edsall left the first time.  And only won 6 games TOTAL the last 3 seasons.  To be 6-6 and bowl eligible in year 1 is pretty remarkable, especially considering they have really no other decent HC options
They even beat the legend Hugh Freeze of the Fighting (for your) Liberty and BC (who I think is in the ACC).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #709 on: December 10, 2022, 09:02:18 AM »

Few are more dismissive of the 78 meaningless Dec/Jan exhibitions more than I am, but here IMHO is one situation that I actually can almost say, "OK, it's good there's a bowl game for this team."

For a program that has been down forever, to see the players finally get an end-of-season reward for working their arses off to try to make their program into something more than a laughingstock ... well, that doesn't totally suck.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #710 on: December 10, 2022, 09:04:43 AM »
Few are more dismissive of the 78 meaningless Dec/Jan exhibitions more than I am, but here IMHO is one situation that I actually can almost say, "OK, it's good there's a bowl game for this team."

For a program that has been down forever, to see the players finally get an end-of-season reward for working their arses off to try to make their program into something more than a laughingstock ... well, that doesn't totally suck.
I wish their team went 0-12. Any decent success might have another conference try to pick them off.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #711 on: December 10, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »
I wish their team went 0-12. Any decent success might have another conference try to pick them off.

Totally agree from a Marquette perspective. Their "decent success" would be measured whether or not a WhateverWhatever.Com bowl game was attached, though.

• All American
« Reply #712 on: December 10, 2022, 10:25:44 AM »

Unless they get consistently good to great, they aren’t getting any invite better than the AAC one they already had. Boise had leveraged their success over the last couple of decades into absolutely nothing but an enhanced deal with the MWC.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #713 on: December 10, 2022, 10:30:41 AM »
Unless they get consistently good to great, they aren’t getting any invite better than the AAC one they already had. Boise had leveraged their success over the last couple of decades into absolutely nothing but an enhanced deal with the MWC.
I worry that stringing a couple of good seasons together could get them an ACC invite in 2026.

Edit: "worry" is relative. Its about #100000 on my list of worries.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #714 on: December 10, 2022, 10:46:46 AM »
I get the concern but they are not getting an ACC invite unless someone leaves the ACC, and I believe the ACC is bound up until 2035. The ACC has already dropped to 4th in the P5 revenue and they would not slice the pie into smaller pieces.

One caveat is if some lawyer finds an escape clause in the ACC's GoR, then UCONN would be targeted because Miami, FSU, NC and Clemson will exit faster than a New York minute.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #715 on: December 10, 2022, 10:51:40 AM »
I get the concern but they are not getting an ACC invite unless someone leaves the ACC, and I believe the ACC is bound up until 2035. The ACC has already dropped to 4th in the P5 revenue and they would not slice the pie into smaller pieces.

One caveat is if some lawyer finds an escape clause in the ACC's GoR, then UCONN would be targeted because Miami, FSU, NC and Clemson will exit faster than a New York minute.
Someone better tell their coach
https://www.theuconnblog.com/2022/7/8/23199039/uconn-football-jim-mora-is-telling-recruits-uconn-plans-to-move-the-acc

"It also appears football coach Jim Mora is telling prospective recruits that the program is hoping to join the ACC soon.

“He explained that he has a goal of joining the ACC within the next few years,” UConn commit Jackson Harper told Anthony."

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #716 on: December 10, 2022, 11:09:07 AM »
Someone better tell their coach
https://www.theuconnblog.com/2022/7/8/23199039/uconn-football-jim-mora-is-telling-recruits-uconn-plans-to-move-the-acc

"It also appears football coach Jim Mora is telling prospective recruits that the program is hoping to join the ACC soon.

“He explained that he has a goal of joining the ACC within the next few years,” UConn commit Jackson Harper told Anthony."
That is quite a statement by Mora. I have to believe the school is good with him saying that.

That said, the gist of the article dovetails with my caveat above that the ACC is on the verge of coming apart if the schools can void the GoR, which opens the door for UCONN.

I'd hate to see them leave, but I would not blame them if they do. The remnants of the ACC are way better than independent status for UCONN. That league would be maybe 4th in the pecking order if the BIG XII picks off PAC12 teams and OR and UW go to the Big 10. (funny aside, I heard multiple times on ESPN radio this week about Dion Sanders going to Colorado, a BIG XII school???  Does ESPN know something we don't?)

• All American
« Reply #717 on: December 10, 2022, 12:28:24 PM »
"Hoping to join the ACC soon" seems like a bit of a non-statement simply made to lure recruits.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #718 on: December 10, 2022, 04:22:47 PM »
I worry that stringing a couple of good seasons together could get them an ACC invite in 2026.

Edit: "worry" is relative. Its about #100000 on my list of worries.

Oh, please list the first 99,999!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #719 on: December 11, 2022, 12:25:43 AM »
While the Army-Navy game is a feel good event, my god was it a positively awful FB game.  Usually one of the two is pretty good, but 2 mediocre triple option teams are terrible.

Late in the 4th, it was 10-7.  The Army TD came on a blocked punt.  The Navy TD came on a 75 yard run.  The offense otherwise was horrific.  Army drives to get a tying FG with an offense that was basically heave a wobbly pass and pray for PI.  They got it twice.  Both times the QB celebrated like he threw a dime deep ball.

Tied 10-10, Navy gets the ball with 2 min left and 2 TO and bleeds the clock playing for OT, beyond weak.  Ball don’t lie for what happened in OT.

Of course, both teams score long TDs IMMEDIATELY in OT.  Then Navy fumbles on the goal line, Army grinds 2 yards for a FG and we are all put out of our misery

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #720 on: December 11, 2022, 07:43:32 AM »
Oh, please list the first 99,999!
Before scoop, I only had a handful, but thanks to the daily dose of doom thread. my list has expanded

• All American
« Reply #721 on: December 12, 2022, 07:51:33 AM »
Oh man. Sounds like Mississippi State coach Mike Leach is in bad shape. In the hospital in a "critical medical situation."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #722 on: December 12, 2022, 08:41:51 AM »
Deion already getting things done ...

From The Athletic:

If you were wondering how long it would take Deion Sanders to make a recruiting statement at Colorado, the answer was six days. Dylan Edwards, a four-star running back from Kansas, flipped his commitment from Notre Dame to the Buffaloes on Saturday.

Edwards told The Athletic’s Ari Wasserman that Sanders was his youth coach dating back to the age of 5 — so perhaps this one’s a unique circumstance. But he also told Wasserman: “I know a lot of guys that are about to flip their commitments. They are all big Power 5 guys with a lot of offers, guys that are four- and five-stars. Nobody is safe in this situation recruiting-wise.”

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #723 on: December 12, 2022, 09:00:45 AM »
Oh man. Sounds like Mississippi State coach Mike Leach is in bad shape. In the hospital in a "critical medical situation."

There was a tweet about needing a miracle. Really sad. Praying he pulls through.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #724 on: December 12, 2022, 01:27:29 PM »
While the Army-Navy game is a feel good event, my god was it a positively awful FB game.  Usually one of the two is pretty good, but 2 mediocre triple option teams are terrible.

Late in the 4th, it was 10-7.  The Army TD came on a blocked punt.  The Navy TD came on a 75 yard run.  The offense otherwise was horrific.  Army drives to get a tying FG with an offense that was basically heave a wobbly pass and pray for PI.  They got it twice.  Both times the QB celebrated like he threw a dime deep ball.

Tied 10-10, Navy gets the ball with 2 min left and 2 TO and bleeds the clock playing for OT, beyond weak.  Ball don’t lie for what happened in OT.

Of course, both teams score long TDs IMMEDIATELY in OT.  Then Navy fumbles on the goal line, Army grinds 2 yards for a FG and we are all put out of our misery

You mean you don't like Cro Magnon football?

I hadn't seen football that bad since Woody Hayes was forcibly retired at The Ohio State University. Yikes, one would think someone would be able to pass a football.

feedback